Jump to content
Irvine

newbie with half an idea.

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone, this is my first newbie post so go easy 😉

I come from a racing cycling / running background and always wanted to do a tri, well you guess it I've plucked up the courage and found one id like to start with. Being Sydney based (Maroubra beach) the Wollongong "tri the gong" is close and also soon. 

Mostly I've got it figured out been training for it etc but I've a few questions,

Like, is a wetsuit needed for it considering its in mid April? if not do you simply wear your tri shorts OR buoyancy shorts over the tri shorts??

Talking about tri shorts, what's a recommended brand and is it only the pros tat wear a skin suit??

 

Also is anyone planning on doing it so I can say hi 👋

 

Thanks for looking,

Neil.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We wear wetsuits for the speed advantage. The worse you are at swimming, the more advantage the wetsuit will give you.  Takes me 10 seconds (with practice) to remove the wetsuit, whereas it will give me at least 60 seconds advantage in a Sprint Distance swim.

Not sure if you are allowed to wear buoyancy shorts or not. I guess it would be fine if wetsuits are allowed. The wetsuit would still be quicker.

Cycling skin suits and one piece triathlon suits are slightly different.  Plenty of age groupers wearing one piece suits.  As for brands, it really comes down to what fits you best. You don't want anything flapping in the wind on the bike, but you also want it to feel comfortable.

I'm from Melbourne, so will not be racing in NSW. But hope you enjoy yourself, good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome and good questions asked. 
will be there again in the Gong for the Standard distance. Wetsuit when you can for speed, buoyancy and confidence. Skin suits - not a great fan as I feel they are only used when a wetsuit is not allowed (and I rarely do one wetsuit free). 
There are so many brands and styles of tri gear so it’s what you prefer. I just had a short sleeve suit turn up today - ordered end of November. I could wait as it was reduced from $180 to $80 with free postage. My last tri suit is a singlet too so can get burnt easier out on the ride n run 

FM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I am also new to the forum. I haven't raced for about 20years but I'm keen to get back into a few sprint races any tips regarding training intensity/duration, recovery, nutrition would be appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Trigeek04 said:

Hello, I am also new to the forum. I haven't raced for about 20years but I'm keen to get back into a few sprint races any tips regarding training intensity/duration, recovery, nutrition would be appreciated. 

A fairly open ended question.  At a minimum, I would recommend at least 1 swim, 1 ride and 1 run per week. Each session longer than that leg in the race (eg. 1km swim, 30km bike, 8km run).  You will be fitter and faster if you manage 2 of each discipline per week.

Once you get up around 3 times a week of each discipline, you can start extending one your run and bike sessions into long runs and long rides.  And one of your other runs and rides can be more intensive sessions. Like 400m repeats at an athletic track and repeats of 6 to 10 min hard efforts at a Velodrome or on the Trainer. You can also add hill work on the run and the bike. And you'll want to add in some body maintenance (eg. core strength, balance, stretching, weights, pilates, yoga, massage).

Note that 3 times each discipline is not required. You may end up doing 3 runs, 2 rides and 1 swim.  But typically the more you train, the faster you'll become. It can get addictive.

As for nutrition. In a Sprint race (assuming you'll finish in under 80 mins), you should only need Sport Drinks (ie. Gatorade) on the bike. You only need to drink 200 to 300 mls, but it is easier to drink if the bidon contains around 500mls.  If it is hot, you can grab a drink at the aid station on the run.

During training, it is usually only the long bike rides that require nutrition.  For easy rides about 20g carbs per hour. For harder rides 50+g carbs per hour.  This will vary for different athletes.

The above is all very vague, as I have no idea of your background, current condition or ability.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Irvine said:

Like, is a wetsuit needed for it considering its in mid April? if not do you simply wear your tri shorts OR buoyancy shorts over the tri shorts??

Talking about tri shorts, what's a recommended brand and is it only the pros tat wear a skin suit??

First, you wetsuits are only allowed when the temperature is under a certain threshold. I'd try check in with people who have done that tri before and find out if generally wetsuits have been allowed. I've race in QLD and generally its rarely cold enough for wetsuits to be permitted in shorter distance races. 

Buoyancy shorts are not permitted from what I understand. 

In terms of tri shorts, any of the major brands will do. I personally prefer tri suits with sleeves for sun protection. Scody do a range of them that are OK. 

Edited by dazmuzza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rob said:

A fairly open ended question.  At a minimum, I would recommend at least 1 swim, 1 ride and 1 run per week. Each session longer than that leg in the race (eg. 1km swim, 30km bike, 8km run).  You will be fitter and faster if you manage 2 of each discipline per week.

Once you get up around 3 times a week of each discipline, you can start extending one your run and bike sessions into long runs and long rides.  And one of your other runs and rides can be more intensive sessions. Like 400m repeats at an athletic track and repeats of 6 to 10 min hard efforts at a Velodrome or on the Trainer. You can also add hill work on the run and the bike. And you'll want to add in some body maintenance (eg. core strength, balance, stretching, weights, pilates, yoga, massage).

Note that 3 times each discipline is not required. You may end up doing 3 runs, 2 rides and 1 swim.  But typically the more you train, the faster you'll become. It can get addictive.

As for nutrition. In a Sprint race (assuming you'll finish in under 80 mins), you should only need Sport Drinks (ie. Gatorade) on the bike. You only need to drink 200 to 300 mls, but it is easier to drink if the bidon contains around 500mls.  If it is hot, you can grab a drink at the aid station on the run.

During training, it is usually only the long bike rides that require nutrition.  For easy rides about 20g carbs per hour. For harder rides 50+g carbs per hour.  This will vary for different athletes.

The above is all very vague, as I have no idea of your background, current condition or ability.

Thanks Rob some very helpful information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to you both. 

17hours have tri suits that are a good price. Family business. https://www.facebook.com/awesomelookingtriathlonclothing/  Facebook message them (Wayne) with any questions.  Tell him Cranky sent ya 😉

As for training, you can grab a free beginner program online if you want something specific to follow. I don't like to think, so I'm happy to just follow something. Just google "beginner triathlon training plans" or something like that and you'll get heaps. Once you get more serious, you can subscribe to TrainerRoad or Training Peaks (discounted with a Triathlon Australia membership) and they have online programs. I like TrainerRoad because, even though they specialise in cycle training, they do combined swim, bike and run programs for all the different triathlon distances and give you options of low, medium or high volume programs (depending how much time you have available to you). If you're interesting in going this way (TrainerRoad), let me know your email address and I'll send you a free one month trial (when you're subscribed they send you these occasionally to hand out to your friends).

Nutrition - as the others have said, when you're doing short ones, don't stress too much, but when you extend your distances out, contact Jason at Infinite Nutrition Australia and he'll be able to get you sorted with either a standard or personalised mix, and will take all the thinking out of it for you. Again...I like this! Also you'll get a discount if you drop the "Transitions" name.  https://www.infinitnutrition.com.au/

Wetsuits are generally only allowed if water temp is below 22°c. Don't worry about a speed suit until you're racing at the pointy end of your age group. They are expensive, but you might find a second hand one on Facebook's Triathlon Marketplace when you get to that point. 

 Welcome aboard. This place is awesome and a wealth of knowledge ... just don't take anything personally if someone has a dig. There are some great people on here, so just focus on the positive comments and ignore the others. 

👋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks cranky ill have a look.

I've been using zwift for the last few months using structured plans with solid nutrition/testing, past 2 months I've been following a "modified" sprint plan from triathlete magazine I got online. I know I need a swim coach so that's high up on the to do list. then its just piecing it all together and having fun.

like you said there's heaps of good plans online.

thanks loads for the info, ill be back soon with more questions haha

 

neil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Irvine said:

thanks loads for the info, ill be back soon with more questions haha

A new Cranky. This should be great.

 

Welcome aboard. We actually love questions here, especially those of us too old/cripple to keep racing, but wishing to stay involved by helping others. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...