Sign in to follow this  
Flanman

Transfer of componentry

I was wondering how easy or if possible, transferring all componentry from one bike to another. Hoods, brakes, cables, cassette etc. my sons bike needs some work. I have all componentry on my old bike that is still good (the frame is damaged). 

thanks

FM

I've done it a couple of times. It isn't as easy as it used to be, but certainly do-able. If you are good with your hands & mechanical things it can be a good project for you son to do during the holidays.

I did it most recently when a car took out my bike. The frame and cranks were wrecked, but I transferred everything else to an old alloy frame I had. It was 10 speed Ultegra. No problem really.

33 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I would take it to a bike shop. Pay the coin & go have a relaxing coffee & chill, while they do the hard work.

You could always get someone to do your long rides too, and sit back & watch the cricket on TV while they do all the hard work. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Flanman said:

Hoods, brakes, cables, cassette etc.

Hoods, brakes, cassette are things I have managed. So anyone with moderate ability should be able to do that. 
Cables, I was about ready to throw the P3 in the bin trying to get through the internal routing. If it’s fully external, should be a bit easier.

As for fine tuning brakes and gears, that’s off to the shop for me :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyno said:

Hoods, brakes, cassette are things I have managed. So anyone with moderate ability should be able to do that. 
Cables, I was about ready to throw the P3 in the bin trying to get through the internal routing. If it’s fully external, should be a bit easier.

As for fine tuning brakes and gears, that’s off to the shop for me :)

I'm much the same, except I have succeeded twice at doing the internal cabling as well. I wouldn't say I'm a wizz at all this stuff but I've managed to transfer components to a newer frame several times in 25 years. Like Tyno, I always take the bike to the shop for final check and tune. 

• Like 1