Sign in to follow this  
spudmonkey32

Constricted Breathing when cycling

I will try to explain this as best as I can but its hard to accurately describe the discomfort.

I often ride for 90kms before work, fairly moderate pace, not smashing myself but a good workout nonetheless. On my way back from work in the evening the first 10-15mins is really difficult, my throat feels constricted, which leads to shortness of breath, which then leads to loss of power in the legs. Its as if something is pushing on my throat preventing it from fully opening up. This usually clears after 15mins or so and everything goes back to normal. During these symptoms my heart rate is in the 130's and I can't push higher than 140 due to the breathing/loss of power in my legs.

This consistently happens on the way home after work after i've had a long ride in the morning. I've ruled out a few things; its not related to the food I consume post morning ride as i've eaten a range of unhealthy to healthy foods and it makes no difference. Temperature doesn't impact on it either. Riding with or without a backpack doesn't change it. I've had the same symptoms when i'm in optimum shape and when i've been not so fit.

I did a lot of heart tests last year and there are no issues there at all. It all seems to come down to fatigue from the morning ride, but just really strange - i guess the best way to describe it is all the symptoms of max heart rate but getting it when i'm only at 70% of that level.

Its more of an annoyance than anything else, but just wondered if anyone else had something similar happen to them?

Thanks

1 hour ago, SomeTri said:

What happens on an evening ride after work if you haven't done the ride in the morning? 

To ride in the evening I would either ride in the morning for a long ride (90kms) or commute (15kms) happens mostly after i've done the long morning ride but has happened in the evening after the short morning commute too.

54 minutes ago, more said:

Could it be asthma related? A lot more pollution around for the ride home compared to the very early morning ride? 

Someone else mentioned that, but the evening ride is on bike paths on a creek away from traffic so don't think its pollution related.

11 minutes ago, spudmonkey32 said:

Someone else mentioned that, but the evening ride is on bike paths on a creek away from traffic so don't think its pollution related.

Pollution doesn't have to be seen to be there. It could also be a combination of things - humidity/mucous/pollen/pollution/stress.

FM

Have you heard of Vocal Chord Disfunction (VCD)?  I've had this on and off when doing high intensity reps or races - specially if I've had a cold.  What happens if you try to breath through your nose?  That normally relaxes your vocal chords...

Do you get it all year round? I have something similar for about 3-4 weeks of the year (which feels like breathing through a wet sponge and leaves me dry retching) which I've finally worked out is some specific kind of pollen... Maybe something like that if it's not an 'all year round' thing?

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

Do you get it all year round? I have something similar for about 3-4 weeks of the year (which feels like breathing through a wet sponge and leaves me dry retching) which I've finally worked out is some specific kind of pollen... Maybe something like that if it's not an 'all year round' thing?

For me this has nothing to do with pollen.  It is your vocal chords constricting and closing up your windpipe.  Doesn't feel like breathing through a wet sponge - that's more like what asthma feels like to me.  This is specifically vocal chord and around my throat.  As I said, if I've been coughing a lot (from having a cold, or anything) it will trigger it.

It's similar to when you choke on something - when a little bit of water goes down the wrong way, your throat's (vocal chords) immediate reaction is to close up and not allow any more water to go in.  Makes it hard to get enough air in to cough it out!  Breathing through your nose seem to relax the throat and help get the air in.

Maybe next time you feel this on the bike, try breathing through your nose a little?  

Thanks for the suggestion SomeTri, I had the usual struggle this evening then after a few big breaths through the nostrils it seemed to help. I could have some other underlying respiratory issues as my nostrils aren't clear all the time and the amount of fluid coming out my nose whilst cycling is impressive. Will have a talk with my GP. 

AJS it happens all year round, so I don't think it is pollen related. Could be other respiratory issues  

Prince, I did a lot of very thorough heart tests last year and he couldn't see any issues.  

Nasal drip...  so, i use nasonex (similar to beconase I believe) which helps the nose...  Turns out I have reactions to dust mites, certain grasses and cockroaches (always hated the fvckers)

Will take a couple of weeks to be fully effective. 

But yes, talk to your doc...