Peter

Bucket list races

I was listening to a podcast recently and the host said that Laguna Phuket Triathlon was an absolute bucket race. 

Got me thinking. What others are on the average triathlete bucket list?

kona

noosa

escape from Alcatraz ?

My bucket list in no particular order:

• Alpe d’Huez
  • Escape from Alcatraz 
  • Woodstock
  • London
  • Indian Ocean Tri  ( Mauritius)
  • Laguna Phuket  (Thailand)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Peter said:

kona

noosa

escape from Alcatraz ?

Rarely would I call myself an early adopter, but I'd done all those by 1992.

F*ck, I'm old. :cry:

• Like 1

It might not be on my perfect bucket list, but the recent IM 70.3 inBahrain would have been a great race in the Team’s event. How’s this for a team. Chloe McCardel (Trannie MoM’s missus) in the swim, Mark Cavendish on the bike and Mo Farah on the run. What a Dream Team if ever there was one. 
FM

PS: And yes, they won the Team’s event. 

C10131DE-C19D-4229-AE2F-6FB920F8905E.jpeg

Edited by Flanman

I heard Bahrain have installed giant wind turbines along the bike course so that there is a constant tail wiind.

Kristian Blummenfelt just rode a 1:52 bike split to give him a final time of 3:25 😬

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, The Customer said:

I heard Bahrain have installed giant wind turbines along the bike course so that there is a constant tail wiind.

Kristian Blummenfelt just rode a 1:52 bike split to give him a final time of 3:25 😬

What??? Wow

NSF

The bike was more than a bit short. 

Mind you, Christian is a pretty amazing athlete.  

Id be more impressed to see him go round in Taupo and win next year at the world champs. 

46 minutes ago, Leon said:

Beating Cav’s bike time and Mo’s run apparently, say what.

But he still didn't have the fastest bike time of the day. Casper Stornes went just under 1:52 & Blummenfelt was only 3rd.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

31 minutes ago, Peter said:

Did the prince secure his kona spot again? 

He was a little disappointed that he didn't break the course record however he's been training up for a 'Strongman' competition and has bulked up a little. Here he is ticking off a 1.30 run leg. Must be the shoes.

78413671_1782288278562860_2775612904118943744_n.jpg

• Haha 1

He biked 440 at kona and is known to push boundaries with drafting. he went 159, 6 minutes slower than the top pros. But stupidly fast.

58 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

He biked 440 at kona and is known to push boundaries with drafting. he went 159, 6 minutes slower than the top pros. But stupidly fast.

There was photos of the prince with his gold helmet in Kona in the middle of a pack of about 150.  thats more than pushing boundaries.

I love all that areo setup on all of those bikes and riders for everyone to be sitting up in a pack. 

I'd die a little inside to find myself in that situation. 

serious lack of integrity. I don't even mind that these people do it, I hate how at the end of an event they sit around acting like they did something amazing when they get away with it and run well.

we have one guy who in big WTC events hides in packs in halfs rides 36 37 kph, goes to smaller OD no where to hide rides 34 for an hour and runs 50 mins.

acts like some miracle happened

3 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

serious lack of integrity. I don't even mind that these people do it, I hate how at the end of an event they sit around acting like they did something amazing when they get away with it and run well.

we have one guy who in big WTC events hides in packs in halfs rides 36 37 kph, goes to smaller OD no where to hide rides 34 for an hour and runs 50 mins.

acts like some miracle happened

C',mon man. He didn't taper for the OD 😉

• Haha 1

Spoke to someone who did the Bahrain 70.3 with only 1 training ride to dust off his bike before the race. He rode 3hrs with the worst fitness of his life. He said they will never get conditions like that ever again.

Basically it's an out and back course on perfectly flat hotmix. On the way South there was no wind at all. By the time most people turned at the halfway mark a tailwind had developed for the long trip home. I know plenty of punters who rode around 2:20 at 38kph+ but hold low 30's for sprint and olympic distance. It helped that the course was 86km long so if you add 5-6mins to all the bike splits they start to look a little more realistic.

The swim was also a tad short and the run makes Busso look like the Himalayas.

Damn I should have gone. Except with my tweets about the prince I doubt I’d get out alive.  

The bad news is that I got to the top of the UTA 100 wait list.😀

The good news is that I have plenty of cold weather running gear and a frigid Mongolian winter to train in.😰

IMG_2903.thumb.JPG.2d543bf7f4c00e3f525baa2cc2ef5b3b.JPG

• Like 3

On 06/12/2019 at 7:52 PM, Peter said:

I was listening to a podcast recently and the host said that Laguna Phuket Triathlon was an absolute bucket race. 

kona

noosa

escape from Alcatraz ?

have done Phuket 4 times and highly recommend it (just over olympic distance). 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

The good news is that I have plenty of cold weather running gear and a frigid Mongolian winter to train in.😰

You might need to keep the mask. Plenty of the uta100 course burning at the moment. 

Even getting onto the 50 course (second half of the 100). 

It'll be out by then, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are safety issues with burnt (Or partly butnt) trees and potential to come crashing down.  

Hopefully not of course. But it's serious stuff and these guys take safety seriously (with rfs and parks advice/instruction)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Prince said:

have done Phuket 4 times and highly recommend it (just over olympic distance). 

Well its on The list. 

On 21/12/2019 at 3:28 PM, Ironnerd said:

Jesus, looks like your about to cut someones head off..

Edited by Prince

On 10/12/2019 at 5:01 PM, Ironnerd said:

NZ Coast to Coast. I need to learn how to paddle first!

As long a I can get down the river will tick this off in Feb . Very Nervous About This One Can Paddle A Bit But No Real Experience In White Water. Just Got To Stay In The Boat .

• Like 4