Flanman

Fires

1 hour ago, Mike Del said:

So true. My neighbour is a ranger at nearby D'Aguilar National Park. He tells me the numbers of rangers were significantly reduced and quite a bit of their work is now done by volunteers. Unfortunately that leaves the number of staff qualified to conduct hazard reduction burning quite low. So far this fire season they've been very lucky.  

Edited by Prince

Prince why the hell would you claim it’s because the fireies do all the hazard reduction burning in National Parks and not the rangers? You have no idea mate do you. 

Hazard reduction in National parks is the responsibility that states parks and wildlife service or equivalent. They outsource help occasionally but the vast majority is done by rangers. In 2018 window NPWS completed 75% of the total hazard reduction work in that state. In Qld National parks over 80% of the hazard reduction work was done by QPWS rangers.

I’m starting to think you just come on here to troll and disrupt these thread.

edit ..... Glad to see you’ve now edited and removed your stupid comment Prince. Changing your comment to ask who exactly cut the numbers of QPWS rangers is pretty hypocritical of you though considering just a couple of posts ago you’re telling people to keep the politics out of this thread.

5460F8FC-DE6D-4029-98A3-F5918DADC832.png

Edited by Mike Del

wrong again dipsh*t. 

all of your comments in the past few posts have been political. hence why I counted to ten then deleted my response.  you have zip credibility after your comments on how the firefighters payments are a scam and how mainstream and international media are picking up on it.   still waiting for you to justify that bulls**t.    

I repeat go to the politics forum.  .

its not me. both "Alex Simmons" and "mike Del" drop dumb lefty statements on here as they can't debate in the proper forum. They are just using this forum to hide.   weak as piss. 

1 hour ago, Prince said:

its not me. both "Alex Simmons" and "mike Del" drop dumb lefty statements on here as they can't debate in the proper forum. They are just using this forum to hide.   weak as piss. 

Don't go so "lefty statements" Prince. It's a Labor gov in Qld that's been cutting the staffing.  

I saw it more as a comment on why the burns may not have been as numerous as some had hoped, not a slur on a particular party.

18 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Don't go so "lefty statements" Prince. It's a Labor gov in Qld that's been cutting the staffing.  

I saw it more as a comment on why the burns may not have been as numerous as some had hoped, not a slur on a particular party.

the comment of "cuts to school funding', pensions etc is as lefty as it gets Ex. 

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Exactly Ex thank you 

3 hours ago, Prince said:

the comment of "cuts to school funding', pensions etc is as lefty as it gets Ex. 

You’re loosing it Prince, it wasn’t even me who made that comment.

I’ve taken Roxii’s advice about going on about politics in this thread, maybe you should too. 

I’d appreciate it if you stopped trying to drag me into your political arguments on this thread.

Edited by Mike Del

7 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Exactly Ex thank you 

You’re loosing it Prince, it wasn’t even me who made that comment.

I’ve taken Roxii’s advice about going on about politics in this thread, maybe you should too. 

I’d appreciate it if you stopped trying to drag me into your political arguments on this thread.

Sorry. Really  bad day yesterday 

Apologies to all on the forum 

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Prince said:

its not me. both "Alex Simmons" and "mike Del" drop dumb lefty statements on here as they can't debate in the proper forum. They are just using this forum to hide.   weak as piss

I never said anything about which side of politics my statement applies (indeed it's apolitical), it was a comment about resource allocation in general that also applies to how we manage/mitigate fire threats. And I use my real name. So unless you're a dead performance artist, I've no idea who you are. Who's hiding?

This is a thread about the fires, I think reasonable discussion about how they are managed is OK.

Performing sufficient hazard reduction is a function of weather opportunity (time windows are smaller now due to the climate) and resources (which ultimately are decisions made by politicians who set the budget allocations).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Can we keep the politics out of this thread.

I can and will start deleteing posts if this keeps happening in this thread.

Just so I'm clear, can you define what you mean by "politics".

Is not a discussion about fire management practices and resources a reasonable one in a thread about fires?

1 hour ago, Alex Simmons said:

Just so I'm clear, can you define what you mean by "politics".

Is not a discussion about fire management practices and resources a reasonable one in a thread about fires?

yep you're right.

I'm tired & grumpy today.

• Haha 1

Alex, Im ok where this is all going as long as it stays factual and not party political. 

Stating statistics about cost cutting and resources is fine, as Ex said not all state governments "under fire" are of the same persuasion. However the left/ right blaming etc can be saved for the politics thread.  

To be honest Id prefer us to be able to talk about politics (or any topic really) and would like to think we could be mature enough to,   but alas it seems politics brings out the "nasty name calling child" in too many. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

yep you're right.

I'm tired & grumpy today.

You need a long ride.

ETA:  And/Or a donut.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Heard on the news today that Brisbane is planning a ticker tape parade and presentation of the keys to the city as a thank you for the firefighters 

Edited by Mike Del

4 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Heard on the news today that Brisbane is planning a ticker tape parade and presentation of the keys to the city as a thank you for the firefighters 

Not sure how I feel about this. Of course they're amazing and deserve to be recognised, but it feels a bit....not sure of the word I'm looking for.....tokenistic?

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Not sure how I feel about this. Of course they're amazing and deserve to be recognised, but it feels a bit....not sure of the word I'm looking for.....tokenistic?

I know a couple out here where I live, and while they didn't go down to fight the Southern fires, they've fought plenty up here, both big & small. I think they'd appreciate the recognition. Some may see it like you say, but I reckon most would just appreciate the show of support.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

A bit American? 

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

They were speaking to one of the chief firefighters on the Brisbane 10 news, he said it would be greatly appreciated, but I get your point.

I suppose the number of firefighters that attend will be the ultimate gadge of acceptance.

8 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Well at least the firefighters that started some of them won’t experience this. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Mike Del said:

They were speaking to one of the chief firefighters on the Brisbane 10 news, he said it would be greatly appreciated, but I get your point.

I suppose the number of firefighters that attend will be the ultimate gadge of acceptance.

Maybe they don't all agree with the chief

IMG_20200117_072823.png

• Like 1

That was the union. Do they represent the volunteers? And have they thought of using it as a donation drive. They'd probably collect more than what it costs to run.

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That was the union. Do they represent the volunteers? And have they thought of using it as a donation drive. They'd probably collect more than what it costs to run.

I thought that too when I heard it this morning. I hope it’s not the case but it does sound a little like the full time pro’s are a little miffed at the attention all the attention the volunteer rural firefighters are getting. Well their union anyway 

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

Maybe they don't all agree with the chief

IMG_20200117_072823.png

That comment was made by the head of permanent professional firefighters union. He wanted the money spent on upgrading hydrants which I think they would use more than than the volunteer rural guys.

The chief of the volunteer firefighters (who the parade is for) said they would appreciate  the gesture.

Edited by Mike Del

Seems it is not just Vic where there is significant tension between volunteer and professional firefighter unions. 

It's times like these that shows how valuable each firefighter is, paid or volunteer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Del said:

That comment was made by the head of permanent professional firefighters union. He wanted the money spent on upgrading hydrants which I think they would use more than than the volunteer rural guys.

The chief of the volunteer firefighters (who the parade is for) said they would appreciate  the gesture.

That'll teach me for only reading the headline.

At a bushfire relief concert the Wiggles put on Friday night, Greg (yellow) had a serious cardiac failure on stage. Crew and a nurse in the audience performed CPR and needed to use the defibrillator to maintain him till paramedics arrived. After an operation overnight, he is a improving in hospital.

He has a condition, orthostatic intolerance, which can affect his blood flow. It was this that originally caused him to leave the Wiggles.

22 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

At a bushfire relief concert the Wiggles put on Friday night, Greg (yellow) had a serious cardiac failure on stage. Crew and a nurse in the audience performed CPR and needed to use the defibrillator to maintain him till paramedics arrived. After an operation overnight, he is a improving in hospital.

He has a condition, orthostatic intolerance, which can affect his blood flow. It was this that originally caused him to leave the Wiggles.

He had a heart attack last night, they put a stent in.