Flanman

Fires

18 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Warnie's cap just went over $1M.

Chris Hemsworth would be spewin he just gave away $1M, he could have donated the mill and picked up Warnies baggy green!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, more said:

Chris Hemsworth would be spewin he just gave away $1M, he could have donated the mill and picked up Warnies baggy green!

I wonder what the tax implications are? With CH's $1M donation, it'd be fully tax deductible, but what's the go with Warnie's cap? Does the buyer get a deduction or does Shane?

1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I wonder what the tax implications are? With CH's $1M donation, it'd be fully tax deductible, but what's the go with Warnie's cap? Does the buyer get a deduction or does Shane?

Warnie would possibly get a tax deduction for donating the proceeds of the sale

The buyer is just buying something, not donating per se, so I wouldn't think they'd get a tax deduction for it.  If they on-sold it for a higher price though, they might be liable for CGT

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I thought if you’re getting something in return you couldn’t get a deduction, might well have changed though. 

We would organise a big fundraising dinner at my surf club but only some of the ticket price was tax deductible as a meal was included.

I heard on the radio last night that there aren’t enough telegraph/power poles in Australia to replace the ones burnt down.

9 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

I heard on the radio last night that there aren’t enough telegraph/power poles in Australia to replace the ones burnt down.

How could Morrison let that happen??

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Could you leave the politics out of this thread IJ?

Like you've been told to on numerous occasions.

18 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

I thought if you’re getting something in return you couldn’t get a deduction, might well have changed though. 

We would organise a big fundraising dinner at my surf club but only some of the ticket price was tax deductible as a meal was included.

Your 2nd sentence is what I really mean. You're buying a hat worth less than $50k. Could you then consider the other $950k to be a donation, knowing that the only reason the extra $950k was paid was because it was going to be a donation.

27 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Your 2nd sentence is what I really mean. You're buying a hat worth less than $50k. Could you then consider the other $950k to be a donation, knowing that the only reason the extra $950k was paid was because it was going to be a donation.

Would be hard to figure out the value of the cap. Some thought 500k before the auction, it went for a million. The value is typically the sale price at an auction so I suspect there can't be any deductions as you are not donating anything, technically only Warne is. So he will get the deduction, but then again he will have to pay tax on the million profit from selling it - so in the end it will be a wash. Which I guess is the point! 

On 09/01/2020 at 12:01 PM, Peter said:

I am no firefighter.  I know nothing about fires.

But what are these guys trying to do here?

It's 5 stories high and they have one hose.

Looks like trying to put up a fan of water to protect the crew and the buildings (called a fog pattern), this is mainly to stop the spread of embers as they go and to lower the radiant heat the fire throws out and continues to grow along.   Doesn't seem like much and more hoses would help, but it does suppress the spread of the fires to specific areas when done correctly (https://imgur.com/gallery/P14H0f2)

Saw the aftermath at Yinnar South last year where a truck was parked between a shed and house and similar was done (with more hoses).  The fire came through the bush next to the shed, the shed burned, the house stood

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Seriously IJ? 

Last warning mate. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, more said:

Commonwealth Bank Bought Warnies Baggy Green. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Commonwealth Bank Bought Warnies Baggy Green. 

Apparently the Baggy Green will do a national tour to raise some more money then find a new permanent home in the Bradman museum in Bowral. Fantastic it’s raised so much money for the bushfire appeal and will also be accessible to the public and not locked away.

Bradman caps have sold for up to $400,000 but he had 12 of them over his career, Warne only had the one.

10 hours ago, dazaau said:

Would be hard to figure out the value of the cap. Some thought 500k before the auction, it went for a million.

It'd be interesting to know what it really would have been worth if it wasn't auctioned for charity. Other than Bradman's caps, none have sold for more than $72k (converted to 2015 dollars), and even that was a special case where a sponsor bought it & immediately gave it back to the player (Greg Matthews). Even Victor Trumper's from 1899 only sold for $31k in 1997, and experts suggest it may be worth $200k now.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2015/dec/23/what-a-baggy-green-cap-is-really-worth-the-stories-behind-an-australian-treasure

47 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Bradman caps have sold for up to $400,000 but he had 12 of them over his career, Warne only had the one.

According to the linked article, Warne sold one for $9,500 back in 2007, and another in 2008 for $15,100. 

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

1 hour ago, Mike Del said:

Yeh I see that in your link, seems strange then. I wish I could click on the info of those other Warne caps but it won’t open up.

I was listening to a sporting memorabilia Valuer on the radio this arvo. He said It was hard to work out it’s exact worth, a couple of Bradman’s 12 caps fetched around 400k and said this was Warne’s only cap. He reckoned the only equivalent to it’s real worth would be Steve Waugh’s cap.

BTW he said it even eclipsed the price paid for Babe Ruth’s cap but not his jersey which fetched over 4mil.

Warne posted this info about the cap, he does seem to indicate it was his only Baggy Green. Can you trust Warne? lol Bit of a mystery . Perhaps he sold it for charity and the buyer donated it back to him. I’ve heard of that before, esp with war medals.

4D4AAE7D-46E7-4C01-A79A-30D88B7D24BC.png

Edited by Mike Del

Possibly correct what he said. Comments on one of the other 2 sold said that they had likely not been used, so maybe it was the other that he wore.

Funny he calls it beloved. He's been quoted before saying he hated them, and only wore it for the first hour of each test after Steve Waugh started making them.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 7:58 AM, Prince said:

sigh, tis the season to bash......way to come together Australia:

14 hrs · 

Andrew Forrest has an estimated net worth of $8.8 billion USD ($12.8 billion Australian). This supposed $70 million donation to bushfire relief is chump change to him.

In fact, he's only putting $20 million into immediate mitigation, and the other $50 million into talk-fests and policy lobbying.

A pensioner with $1000 in the bank who donates 50 cents to bushfire victims is making a far bigger sacrifice and showing far more generosity than Andrew Forrest.

Stuff him. He is a major benefactor of the destruction of the environment and has profited immensely from accelerating climate change.

Jonathan Sri, Councillor for The Gabba

I saw this in the media too. People who make comments like this shit me. 

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

I saw this in the media too. People who make comments like this shit me. 

Indeed

What the hell does 'stuff him' mean?  We don't need his stinking money?

Some people need to get over their wallet envy and look at the bigger picture 

This morning in bright.

heading to Ballarat now for the Nationals Grand Fondo. 

FCC80D3F-0FCA-4C18-814E-5F890D0F2E99.jpeg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

What the hell does 'stuff him' mean?  We don't need his stinking money?

It means he’s virtue signalling. 
Making his fortune by contributing to climate change, the offering conditional support to appear benevolent. 

24 minutes ago, Tyno said:

It means he’s virtue signalling. 
Making his fortune by contributing to climate change, the offering conditional support to appear benevolent. 

he is one guy who has been very proactive in modifying his industry to make less of a carbon footprint and has also previously done a heck of a lot for the environment in the past, his industry would probably contribute less  green house emissions than 500 dairy farms and Chris Hemsworth's jet flights per year, and his contributions to our gdp, and employment are second to none. That councillor should be hung and quartered. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Prince said:

he is one guy who has been very proactive in modifying his industry to make less of a carbon footprint and has also previously done a heck of a lot for the environment in the past, his industry would probably contribute less  green house emissions than 500 dairy farms and Chris Hemsworth's jet flights per year, and his contributions to our gdp, and employment are second to none. That councillor should be hung and quartered. 

I can't vouch for the majority of what you posted, but I certainly agree with the part in bold.

1 hour ago, Prince said:

and his contributions to our gdp, and employment are second to none.

Particularly indigenous employment, which the haters won't tell you about

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SomeTri said:

Get the f politics off this thread 

?

Edited by Prince
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SomeTri said:

The post above.my post was anothet political post and completely off topic

No you are just victimising IJ, there is nothing political about his post at all and was totally on topic. His comment was in regards to the people hating on Twiggy despite his huge donation and the good he does for the indigenous communities. 

Edited by more
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, more said:

No you are just victimising IJ, there is nothing political about his post at all and was totally on topic. His comment was in regards to the people hating on Twiggy despite his huge donation and the good he does for the indigenous communities. 

What the flock.has indigenous employment got to do with the fires? Am I missing a link here?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SomeTri said:

What the flock.has indigenous employment got to do with the fires? Am I missing a link here?

Just stop it, you are derailing thd thread 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SomeTri said:

That section was specifically about the hate for Andrew Forest donating $70M by those keyboards warriors who look at it as a purely self absorbed for personal gain. Others just said he does a lot more for Australia without a lot of recognition. IronJimbo just correct gave an example (indigenous employent which he charters in a big way). No political intent here at all from IJ.

I think 'SomeTri' is just doing a bit of trolling.

• Like 1

How about we just agree that not everyone sees the Forrest donation the same way and move on?

Cottoneyes posted a pic on Insta of the Hilltop Hotel in Omeo, saying how they have been helping operational staff and that people should support them if they can when it’s safe. 
That sort of stuff is achievable action for regular folks. 

One of my cousins around Albury is posting a lot on FB with the same #GoWithEmptyEskies tag Cottoneyes used. 

• Sad 1

Warringah Tri Club raised a few grand this morning at their club race via sponsors and donations

• Like 2

Had a trip to the fires near Wodonga to check on a mates property (he's OS with work). The fires came friggin close to several properties on the Beechworth road and the back of Wodonga and Bandiana. RFS and CFA worked well together as you'd expect in a border area. Whilst there I caught up with veterans I know who are at the fires with Operation Vet Assist. These guys and girls are doing a great job supporting Firies, police and ADF. Not only at the north Victoria fires but those in the Gippsland and NSW south coast. I saw a lot of good people doing good work and talking to a few in passing, I get the feeling most of them wouldn't have it any other way in times like this. 

I only hope that they get support they need when they get back home. Sadly one of the RFS guys told me about the abuse his crew received at Cabargo because they couldn't put the fires out there. Emotions are raw at those times but there's no call for that stuff.

It was a long drive back to Melb with heavy traffic and a lot of time to think about how these fires have affected so many people. Our little family of four are lucky. We live in the city and haven't lost a house or possessions. However,  all of the family have been to the fires, 3 with their job. Wife - paramedic, son - police, daughter - navy and I'm yet to be activated with the reserve (God help us if they get down the list to grumpy old blokes like me, lol). Luckily for now, I can shoot off and check on friends and family and their property. After the fires are out, The rebuild will take years and I hope the money being pledged by so many gets to the people who need it. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Greyman said:

and I hope the money being pledged by so many gets to the people who need it. 

The first snag has popped up, and I hope they can solve it. The fundraiser that Celeste Barber organised has reached over $50M, but at the group it was set up to help can only use the money in certain ways. It can only use it for training, trucks & equipment, and administration. Unless they can find a legal solution, the families affected by the fires or the wild-life carers etc, cannot receive any funds from it.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The first snag has popped up, and I hope they can solve it. The fundraiser that Celeste Barber organised has reached over $50M, but at the group it was set up to help can only use the money in certain ways. It can only use it for training, trucks & equipment, and administration. Unless they can find a legal solution, the families affected by the fires or the wild-life carers etc, cannot receive any funds from it.

F@&k me. Always some legal or administrative cock up to screw people around. 

On 12/01/2020 at 12:04 PM, Tyno said:

How about we just agree that not everyone sees the Forrest donation the same way and move on?

Cottoneyes posted a pic on Insta of the Hilltop Hotel in Omeo, saying how they have been helping operational staff and that people should support them if they can when it’s safe. 
That sort of stuff is achievable action for regular folks. 

Yep, we were moved Saturday morning from the tent city in Swans Reach up to Omeo to work around there for the last few days.  The Hilltop Hotel put us , another CFA team and a few of the police on road closures up.  Not a vehicle in the car park without some flashy lights on top.  Suspect they might have been getting paid for us, but they really went above and beyond to look after all of us.  Country hospitality at its best, the hotel is not the flashest, but highly recommend it, my son and I will be staying there around March all going well for a weekend fishing and photographing in the high country.  There wasn't a person from our 20 person team that did not say they wouldn't be going back this year, so sucks to be you if you don't get a booking in early enough after this is behind us.

Spoke to one high country grazier who lost a good portion of the grass for his herd, but managed to get his cattle out of the way in time.  He said the fires came at a good time, coming earlier than most other fires have in the past, bit of rain and the grass will come back to carry him through winter better than it usually does.  Most others talk of the big fires through there in 2003 and how they survived that, nervous but felt they will survive this one as well.  The same grazier did mention he only just managed to finish replacing the last of the fencing from 2003, has a big job ahead of him and says he is now 17 years older than when he had to tackle it last time.  As long as we protected their homes and the Blue Duck pub, they seemed to be a thankful mob

Today was day 54 since the communities of East Gippsland came under threat of fire, parts of NSW the threat has been going longer (that's longer than most of us stick to the Biggest Loser).  Spoke to a farmer at Ensay on Saturday who told us he had been ordered to evacuate 4 times so far, he spent Saturday having to destroy some stock and bury them.  The emotional toll is starting to mount on some people, they need to have hope and I can't stress enough how much of it we can provide.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

https://emergencylaw.wordpress.com/2020/01/05/disaster-fundraising-for-government-or-charity/

On 08/01/2020 at 5:44 PM, Prince said:

Hey Climate Change demonstrators, leave your demonstrations until after the fires, as Friday is meant to be another bad day. You surely can't be that ignorant. As the police have said, they dont have the resources to be at the demonstrations and the fires. I hope common sense prevails here, otherwise, I hope they lose all respect they may have in the community. 

I'm just back from Ballarat after one of my volunteer cycling gigs (driving Chief Commissaire in the races). It was at least good the weather was mild and Buninyong and surrounds were not under serious fire threat (it certainly has been in previous years). Glad I didn't drive down though as the fires threatened to block major roads en route.

As to the above, I agree it's unfortunate that Police resources will be (have been) diverted for this and some consideration by protesters is warranted, but are we OK that Police resources are also diverted for things like fireworks displays, the cricket, and a whole range of other stuff (even bike races)? Is conducting a lawful public gathering/protest any worse? I'm not supportive of their timing, just posing the question and pointing out it's not a black and white thing.

I'm scheduled to head back to Victoria in a few weeks for the Herald Sun Tour however the race route this year is centred around the Victorian Alpine region which has also had significant devastation and an ongoing fire threat and so there is a strong prospect the race may be cancelled as a result. Find out later this week I think.

I been thinking about my volunteer commitments, I will see out my current ones and then consider how in future I may allocate that time.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2020 at 5:44 PM, Prince said:

Hey Climate Change demonstrators, leave your demonstrations until after the fires, as Friday is meant to be another bad day. You surely can't be that ignorant. As the police have said, they dont have the resources to be at the demonstrations and the fires. I hope common sense prevails here, otherwise, I hope they lose all respect they may have in the community. 

I'm just back from Ballarat after one of my volunteer cycling gigs (driving Chief Commissaire in the races). It was at least good the weather was mild and Buninyong and surrounds were not under serious fire threat (it certainly has been in previous years). Glad I didn't drive down though as the fires threatened to block major roads en route.

As to the above, I agree it's unfortunate that Police resources will be (have been) diverted for this and some consideration by protesters is warranted, but are we OK that Police resources are also diverted for things like fireworks displays, the cricket, and a whole range of other stuff (even bike races)? Is conducting a lawful public gathering/protest any worse? I'm not supportive of their timing, just posing the question and pointing out it's not a black and white thing.

I'm scheduled to head back to Victoria in a few weeks for the Herald Sun Tour however the race route this year is centred around the Victorian Alpine region which has also had significant devastation and an ongoing fire threat and so there is a strong prospect the race may be cancelled as a result. Find out later this week I think.

I been thinking about my volunteer commitments, I will see out my current ones and then consider how in future I may allocate that time.

12 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Given the amount of other donations and appeals going on I think if all that money went to RFS for more trucks etc then that will be a good thing. They lost a few and a few towns said they needed more and at over half a million each it will get spent quickly. 

8 minutes ago, roxii said:

Given the amount of other donations and appeals going on I think if all that money went to RFS for more trucks etc then that will be a good thing. They lost a few and a few towns said they needed more and at over half a million each it will get spent quickly. 

My hope is that the NSW Government doesn't see it as a chance to allocate less money than they should to the RFS. Unlikely given the media coverage that would get, but in a situation like this, it does give them the opportunity to increase the funding, but not by the amount they normally would have to cover the losses.

So in effect, you may have been donating to NSW Government consolidated revenue.

RFS also needs to get with the times and get crew protection on every vehicle going into the fire zones.  The number of vehicles in the viral videos without permanent heat shields in the trucks is astounding.  CFA lost one crew in the 80s and it's been mandatory here ever since, RFS and Qld seem to be doing it as they can afford it

1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

RFS also needs to get with the times and get crew protection on every vehicle going into the fire zones.  The number of vehicles in the viral videos without permanent heat shields in the trucks is astounding.  CFA lost one crew in the 80s and it's been mandatory here ever since, RFS and Qld seem to be doing it as they can afford it

Yeah I was wondering about some of the PPE stuff as well.

You see car racing drivers with fire suit hoods etc on, I was wondering why these were not available or are they not practical. Also since a lot of injury is due to smoke inhalation is there no protection for this, even if it only is used in dire situations?

11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So in effect, you may have been donating to NSW Government consolidated revenue.

Cost shifting of services from public sector to the public via charities has been going on for many years. It's a feature of economic policies. We now have towns that a relying on charities to pay to bring in water supplies. Same for underfunded schools, health and aged care support and assistance for vulnerable people from all walks of life.

12 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

Cost shifting of services from public sector to the public via charities has been going on for many years. It's a feature of economic policies. We now have towns that a relying on charities to pay to bring in water supplies. Same for underfunded schools, health and aged care support and assistance for vulnerable people from all walks of life.

Don’t post your political statements here. Do it on the politics forum please. Didn’t you get the memo ??

• Like 2

On 14/01/2020 at 8:47 AM, Alex Simmons said:

As to the above, I agree it's unfortunate that Police resources will be (have been) diverted for this and some consideration by protesters is warranted, but are we OK that Police resources are also diverted for things like fireworks displays, the cricket, and a whole range of other stuff (even bike races)?

Events such as the cricket and I'd imagine commercial cycling events are charged for police resources. Who from the climate protesters are picking up the bill? 

17 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

So true. My neighbour is a ranger at nearby D'Aguilar National Park. He tells me the numbers of rangers were significantly reduced and quite a bit of their work is now done by volunteers. Unfortunately that leaves the number of staff qualified to conduct hazard reduction burning quite low. So far this fire season they've been very lucky.