Sign in to follow this  
dazaau

How to train for a sustained 1hr climbing effort

Hi all,

My main goal this season is to climb mount Donna Buang in under 1hr. Mostly because not that long ago that sounded impossible. Last season I got it down to 1:02 while training for Geelong 70.3 and this year I am all about the bike, doing nothing else really.

But those 2min are not going to be that easy to budge. What is the best way to improve my FTP so I can climb for an hour at threshold and achieve my goal. I've been getting a fair bit of volume but I reckon some specific training targeting my goal would be very helpful - what is out there?

I looked at a trainerroad program, such as https://blog.trainerroad.com/specialty-blocks-climbing-road-race/, but these seem to be built around racing and shorter efforts and recovery, What I am looking for is something to get me to the FTP I need for one hour of well paced solo pain, and I am not sure this program is what I need.

Any ideas?

Am no expert, but over on Twits, the below was a bit of a consensus, with some volume of course.

Day 1 = 2x20 with <5 min between @ ~95% of FTP 
Day 2 = 1x20 @ 100-105% of FTP, essentially an all out TT effort 
Day 3 = Rest or VERY EASY (ie 30-60 minutes at 50% of FTP)...all small ring. 

51 minutes ago, dazaau said:

But those 2min are not going to be that easy to budge. What is the best way to improve my FTP so I can climb for an hour at threshold and achieve my goal. I've been getting a fair bit of volume but I reckon some specific training targeting my goal would be very helpful - what is out there?

Tonnes of indoor cycling on gradients. That will do it for sure. Failing that, just long hill repeats. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Also get skinny 

Liquid diet...get on the shakes....for a while....

Could you just do the sustained power build then the 40km TT specialty plan on TR, with some slow cadence work?

• Like 1

Thanks all, I definately know getting more skinny is on the cards, but I do like donuts like you Bored. I've given up zwift for summer as the value proposition was terrible and I live at the foot of the Dandenongs and can use free alternatives if I need to go indoors. Zwift is way better than those alternatives though.

I like Nicks proposed option, might look into a way of doing that on the trainer. Combined with volume it could do the trick.

With trainerroad 40k TT - if I go to an easier gear and slow the cadence will it just add extra resistance so I got the target watts for the workout? Could be a viable option?

Edited by dazaau

MMMMm I just re-read your post.

What is the gradient of the climb. Also did you set the 1:02 on a TT bike?

Do you have a power mete?

I also think if you have just been riding this year you should be in good shape to beat it already. I would not think of the 1:02 & go set a time on there now. Trying to improve on a time set during training & long time ago probably isn't the best bench mark to be measuring improvment off.

Then try to beat that time. You might surprise yourself. On a climb of that distance it's going to be all about pacing and having the wind in the right direction. Look at the wind direction and your training load, get the right combination and you will take the 3min off.

In training hang on the back of a bunch and see how long you can hang on for. You will push yourself harder than any solo ride. Just don't jump on the back of A graders & get destroyed in 500m.

Give it a month

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

... I live at the foot of the Dandenongs ...

You live at the foot of the Dandenongs and are asking how to get better at climbing?

- ride the crucifix

- repeats of The Wall

- repeats of Perrins Creek Rd

- repeats of the 1 in 20

Try and get Strava PBs on all of the above

My best was 54:52 done as part of a Blackburn cycling club Individual Time Trial back in May 2012.

https://www.cycle2max.com/ride-time.aspx?id=27281

Basics as per Nick777's suggestions of FTP blocks, but primarily just getting into the hills and doing repeats there as per Robs suggestions as it will replicate cadence and effort.

I used to go out and do Threepeats of Mt Donna Buang through Winters when I was training for Northern hemisphere riding holidays - makes you tough! Those sessions plus 4 weeks in the French Alps August-September 2011 helped set the base for my fitness for my 2012 time.

20110612+2.JPG

Edited by Dalai
  • Like 2

I logged the specific hills training for that European holiday and came up with the following at the time.

Stats.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't worry about all that stuff - just ride Beach Road a lot. Prepares you for anything and everything. 100,000 Elite Victorian cyclists can't be wrong.... :)

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Dalai said:

My best was 54:52 done as part of a Blackburn cycling club Individual Time Trial back in May 2012.

https://www.cycle2max.com/ride-time.aspx?id=27281

Basics as per Nick777's suggestions of FTP blocks, but primarily just getting into the hills and doing repeats there as per Robs suggestions as it will replicate cadence and effort.

I used to go out and do Threepeats of Mt Donna Buang through Winters when I was training for Northern hemisphere riding holidays - makes you tough! Those sessions plus 4 weeks in the French Alps August-September 2011 helped set the base for my fitness for my 2012 time.

20110612+2.JPG

Total respect on that 54:52! If I decide to do peaks challenge I may be doing some threepeats myself. 

And this pic was in November!

Untitled.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

MMMMm I just re-read your post.

What is the gradient of the climb. Also did you set the 1:02 on a TT bike?

Do you have a power mete?

I also think if you have just been riding this year you should be in good shape to beat it already. I would not think of the 1:02 & go set a time on there now. Trying to improve on a time set during training & long time ago probably isn't the best bench mark to be measuring improvment off.

Then try to beat that time. You might surprise yourself. On a climb of that distance it's going to be all about pacing and having the wind in the right direction. Look at the wind direction and your training load, get the right combination and you will take the 3min off.

In training hang on the back of a bunch and see how long you can hang on for. You will push yourself harder than any solo ride. Just don't jump on the back of A graders & get destroyed in 500m.

Give it a month

No TT bike. It's a 17km climb at an average of 6%. No flat sections at all except for a few meters at half way  as you switch roads and has some pinches at 9-10%. Great honest ride. https://www.strava.com/segments/375795?filter=overall

I do it fairly regularly and while I was training for a 70.3 I was not messing about when going up the mountain, I had been targeting a PB for a while. Managed to work it down from close to 1:30 first time to 1:02. Last ride was month ago at 1:05. But it's still early in the season :)

I have a powerpod, so it works pretty good on climbs for pacing power. 

2 hours ago, Rob said:

You live at the foot of the Dandenongs and are asking how to get better at climbing?

- ride the crucifix

- repeats of The Wall

- repeats of the 1 in 20

Oh I do :) I live a few hundred meters from Inverness so that gets a good work out up to SkyHigh. 

I honestly don't have any interest in a ride unless it has climbs. It's what I like about cycling. I know riding climbs a lot helps climbing, just wondering if a certain approach will help.

Edited by dazaau

Just remember not to bury yourself until you hit those last two kms and don't stop to fill up your bottle at the spring 😁

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Naut said:

don't stop to fill up your bottle at the spring 😁

Oh yeah! That will get me my 2min back*

*(I've never stopped at the spring, up or down, too many people with vans filling up gallons of water lol)

• Like 1

I stop to fill one bidon on each descent. For my winter threepeats, stored in the 2nd cage would be an old bidon with the top cut off to carry a thin pair of plastic overpants to wear on each descent.

And there is a reason why so many people stop and fill up there. The water is really good!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rob said:

- ride the crucifix

- repeats of The Wall

- repeats of the 1 in 20

Oh...The Wall!! Memories of my first year on a bike, riding with the old Triathlete bunch & being in absolute agony...

• Haha 1

On 05/12/2019 at 10:47 AM, Pete said:

Don't worry about all that stuff - just ride Beach Road a lot. Prepares you for anything and everything. 100,000 Elite Victorian cyclists can't be wrong.... :)

You know the other thing you could do is go vegetarian.  Not only will you climb better you'll live longer, recover quicker, get bigger muscles, win an olympic medal at a record old age, fight better, bonk better, be more bonkable, get a bigger wanger, and mysteriously start speaking with an Austrian accent and start bonking the housekeeper.

Note this is not my first post (nor is it my last!) but Pete can't remember his password... :(

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 06/12/2019 at 7:17 PM, Bored@work said:

My training day. That hurt a lot 

4CBB4D97-C7C9-4DA5-AF91-4D445F5927F7.jpeg

Where did you go? What did you do (other than what I can read on the screen)?