Flanman

Training and Smoke

Our place has been very smokey for the last week, although not as bad as some country towns. Our air quality was  eight times the dangerous level yesterday. They advised that being out all day yesterday was like smoking a pack and a half of cigarettes. 

I had a week off training after WS 70.3 due to a swollen knee but now extended a few more days. The smoke isn’t expected to clear for another few days. 

So what is everyone doing for training that are in smoke affected areas ?

FM

PS: I will be out in it tomorrow. Not training, the Australian Golf Open as a spectator. 

Edited by Flanman

Are you in Sydney Flanman?

I've just got back from India. I thought before I went I was used to the smoke, having been through Brisbane's worst day in years 2 days before I headed over. It was due to the fires around Brisbane & Nthrn NSW. The Air Quality Index for Brisbane was about 160.

Sydney today is 130 to 150. Delhi was 450 when we arrived, and had been over 650 the week before we got there. Visibility was less than a km. The country areas were around 200 - 300. I know it seems really bad when we get these smokey days, but on the world stage, they aren't really that bad. The country areas close to the fires though, I'd hate to be breathing there.

Yep, Sydney mate. Ours is currently 191 but was up about 400 last week. I am unsure the difference between smoke and pollution when it comes to how it feels to breathe. I know they are both unhealthy but is there a difference?  

How did you cope in India ? Any daily side effects ?

My place is orange ATM. 

FM

PS: Gizmo just arrived in India. I might get him to bring back a can of air as a presi. Lol

Edited by Flanman
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

How did you cope in India ? Any daily side effects ?

I felt it the first day, but after that you kind of get used to it. I did have a bit of a cough for a while. Probably related.

• Like 1

You really should be wearing a mask in Sydney these days. 

People don't like to take it seriously and I'm not sure why - I don't smoke because it's bad for me, so I definitely won't be inhaling this smoke while outside. Maybe I'm overcautious but we've bought an air purifier and when I have to go outside I have a N99 graded mask on.

If you google the Air Quality Index (AQI) of Sydney these days, you will see there are some seriously dangerous particle levels in the air, and this is what is really bad for us. You need a mask that can filter these out (or an air purifier which does the same thing). 

A few years ago I was in Poland in winter, where they burn plastics and rubbish to keep warm - have never had such a constant headache in my life!

2 hours ago, Flanman said:

Our place has been very smokey for the last week,

PS: I will be out in it tomorrow. Not training, the Australian Golf Open as a spectator. 

I went for a walk about 6 this morning. It's genuinely terrible right now. Even with light exercise you can taste the smoke and my voice has this croaky sort of tone since the smoke started.

This afternoon was far, far worse. I was at Homebush and it was unbelievable - never seen or smelt anything like it.

I think it's a reasonable excuse to have a rest week and just sleep in and take it easy. Exercise will still be there next week.

To put it in context. Port Macquarie had an index of 3700( !!!!!!!) for over a week. Visibilty was down to 200metres.

The PM10 rolling average today was 175, and whilst you could see smoke haze, after the last few weeks it was "like" clean air.

Mind you,  I have only had one ride , and than the occasional surf since the bushfires started a month ago.

• Like 1

I’m on the central coast and it’s terrible. I have been training on zwift and treadmill all week. I wont train outside while I can see and there’s burnt leaves falling from the sky.

I get in the garage to train every morning and need to turn the fan on, because there is a smell of smoke inside.  Bloody terrible

5 hours ago, Flanman said:

Our place has been very smokey for the last week, although not as bad as some country towns. Our air quality was  eight times the dangerous level yesterday. They advised that being out all day yesterday was like smoking a pack and a half of cigarettes. 

I had a week off training after WS 70.3 due to a swollen knee but now extended a few more days. The smoke isn’t expected to clear for another few days. 

So what is everyone doing for training that are in smoke affected areas ?

FM

Move to North Turramurra. Its not that bad, we seem to be missing the smoke. Blue skies and clear nights a few days ago and clear today. Able to hand the washing out..... Though that was not the case last week.

Context...Monday at work in the city I look outside about 2Pm. Couldn't believe how hazy it was and the building actually smelled. Drove home through thick smoke across the bridge....... got to Chatswood and it was clear as. At home it was the same..... nice breeze and no smell.

And Jabba said that North Turramurra has nothing going for it. :)

• Like 1

Flanmna... you are getting your smoke off the Blue Mountains. If in doubt dont train. Play in safe.

• Like 1

Dehli is the pits for air quality. Im interested in the Tokyo Marathon in a couple of years and the pollution is a concern.

I'm going to the gym and riding on the trainer. Only using a fan at the moment as the aircon brings it in as well. Most of the smoke in Rhodes seems to be early morning or late afternoon, so at least on the weekend I can get out for a run around 10 or so.

We are thinking about going to Port Mac over Xmas (see the +1s family) but are playing it by ear. Hopefully there will be heavy rain to put all this shit out.

Today is next level. Ash falling from the sky in the Shire. Closest fire just went around Warragamba dam. Smoke is crazy thick. I've jst shovelled some mulch around with a mask on and am paying for it now. Stay inside.

4 hours ago, Parkside said:

Today is next level. Ash falling from the sky in the Shire. Closest fire just went around Warragamba dam. Smoke is crazy thick. I've jst shovelled some mulch around with a mask on and am paying for it now. Stay inside.

That’s crazy. Stay safe. 
Here are two pics from my place today

Morning looking North

Afternoon looking south west and you can see that the smokes is definitely out there.

And again driving to the city this afternoon - when you drove through Chatswood the sun looked like Mars

D045F88D-1782-4A3D-AAA6-FDE4E9A2CD74.jpeg

D9DEB0C0-E201-4E6F-9600-C8FE218F2C58.jpeg

Brisbane has some minor smoke haze, but just damn hot. 37deg today, 39deg predicted tomorrow. A very dry heat which is unlike Brisbane. Give me 30deg and high humidity any day.

Edited by AA7

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Brisbane has some minor smoke haze, but just damn hot. 37deg today, 39deg predicted tomorrow. A very dry heat which is unlike Brisbane. Give me 30deg and high humidity any day.

41 here at Highvale today. I'd hate to think what tomorrow will be like.

Cooling down nicely here too, but it doesn't last long. This is today's temp's.

image.png.2dd7ebc6023b5446607a2ab3513a51b7.png

It's lovely when you get up, still only 18 degrees by 7am, but 30 degrees by 8am.

15 hours ago, The new guy said:

Sounds like great conditions for the GC50.....

Cooler tomorrow

We were supposed to go down the South Coast today all roads cut unless I want to head to Cooma, then back to Bega and then head North. We shall make a call on it tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

We were supposed to go down the South Coast today all roads cut unless I want to head to Cooma, then back to Bega and then head North. We shall make a call on it tomorrow.

yep They are still 💯 shut mate 

What's peoples thoughts on squads operating in poor/ very poor air quality ? Some owners adopt the ' I just put them on ' approach, and leave it up to the athletes to decide if they attend or not. Is there some duty of care there ?

My Sydney office just sent everyone home and said come back monday.

If you can work from home do.  If not have the next few days off.

We have 700+ employees

• Like 1

Colleagues in Parra are getting sent home as the smoke has gotten in the building, and is setting the smoke detectors off. You can't turn them off with people in the building, so they are evacuating.

Take me back to Busso and the flies... Mostly indoors and low intensity atm. 

I feel 20 years younger, you know like when you've been at the pub all night and wake up smelling like an ashtray.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, SomeTri said:

So now that it's affecting the economy, maybe those dipshits in power might think about doing something to try and avoid this in future

They are fires.  They will go out.  The smoke will blow away.  

Then we can repeat it all again in 10 years time. 

Firstly, having this 'unprecedented' thing happen again in 10 years time is too soon. 'Unprecedented...

Secondly, i fear that it will be a lot sooner

Thirdly, why not try and stop it ever happening again?

Not just in this country but try to imagine the bushfires before man came along and cleared the native forest and there was no attempt at fire control via back burning etc.

Now those would have been fires.

55 minutes ago, SomeTri said:

Thirdly, why not try and stop it ever happening again?

Surely your not serious. How about you grab a rake and wheelie bin and roam Australia’s forest and rake up the falling leaves, branches, and bark. Let me know when your done.

25 minutes ago, Merv said:

I'm hopeful the extinction rebellion can pull some strings to prevent dry lightening strikes

Izzy & his brother may be able to ask.

1 hour ago, Merv said:

I'm hopeful the extinction rebellion can pull some strings to prevent dry lightening strikes

Lightning