Toolish

Convert TT Bike to 11 Speed

I have a 2012ish Cannondale Slice.  I am looking to convert to 11 speed as having a 10 speed TT bike and 11 speed roady with a Kickr is a pain in the arse.

Trying to work out what I need to buy.

Already have 11 speed wheelset sorted

Just wondering if I need to replace the Front Derailleur or the chain rings?  Staying with a 2 x setup at the front.

Pretty sure I need shifters, Rear Derailleur and chain.  Just not sure about up front!

Any advice appreciated.

5 minutes ago, Toolish said:

I have a 2012ish Cannondale Slice.  I am looking to convert to 11 speed as having a 10 speed TT bike and 11 speed roady with a Kickr is a pain in the arse.

Trying to work out what I need to buy.

Already have 11 speed wheelset sorted

Just wondering if I need to replace the Front Derailleur or the chain rings?  Staying with a 2 x setup at the front.

Pretty sure I need shifters, Rear Derailleur and chain.  Just not sure about up front!

Any advice appreciated.

I did my 2009 P2 and just got a rear derailleur, chain and shifters.. no reason for new FD as it doesn't know the difference between 2 x 10 or 2 x 11..

and the cassette

If you can manage it, you only need the rear shifter, as the front will be fine, but finding them separate is harder.

1 hour ago, pieman said:

I did my 2009 P2 and just got a rear derailleur, chain and shifters.. no reason for new FD as it doesn't know the difference between 2 x 10 or 2 x 11..

Did you need to change the chain rings? I would have thought they were a bit thicker than their 11-speed counterparts and this might be a problem?  Along the same lines, apart from the width of the jockey wheels, why do you need to change the RD?

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Did you need to change the chain rings? I would have thought they were a bit thicker than their 11-speed counterparts and this might be a problem?  Along the same lines, apart from the width of the jockey wheels, why do you need to change the RD?

I didnt change the chain rings and didnt have a problem..

Will the 10 speed RD work with 11 speed shifters? Not sure, but if so the upgrade could be a whole lot cheaper

The rear derailleur is dumb; it moves as far as the shifter tells it to.  But along the line of the front chainrings, I don't know if the wheels are a bit thinner to take the narrower chain?

21 hours ago, goughy said:

The rear derailleur is dumb; it moves as far as the shifter tells it to.  But along the line of the front chainrings, I don't know if the wheels are a bit thinner to take the narrower chain?

You may find the parallelagram angles of the RD change slightly from 10 speed to 11 speed. For SRAM they do, the throw rate changes. The rear shifter and RD have to match and unfortunately you can't use an 11 speed rear shifter with a 10 speed RD, that would be too cheap!

The 11 speed cassette for Shimano/SRAM is a little wider (~1mm I think) and the distance between the rear cogs a little narrower. That's why the chain for 11 speed is narrower.

8 minutes ago, Slowman said:

You may find the parallelogram angles of the RD change slightly from 10 speed to 11 speed. For SRAM they do, the throw rate changes. The rear shifter and RD have to match and unfortunately you can't use an 11 speed rear shifter with a 10 speed RD, that would be too cheap!

The 11 speed cassette for Shimano/SRAM is a little wider (~1mm I think) and the distance between the rear cogs a little narrower. That's why the chain for 11 speed is narrower.

In fact I converted mine too from 10 speed Dura Ace to 11 speed Dura Ace and so Shimano also changes the parallelogram and throw rate - I guess I forgot because I just sold it. I am no longer a triathlete 😂

You need

11 speed rear wheel

11 speed cassette

Rear mech

shifters

10 and 11 speed chains share the same internal width, so 10 speed chainrings and front mech are fine