Bored@work

Life Hacks - list them below

This week I learnt one of the greatest things ever. 

How to heat up left over pizza!!!!!

Zap it in the microwave & then put it on the sandwich press for a few minutes. 

Four minutes later you have hot pizza with a crispy base. It was better than when it was delivered. 

You can all thank me later :)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

This week I learnt one of the greatest things ever. 

How to heat up left over pizza!!!!!

Zap it in the microwave & then put it on the sandwich press for a few minutes. 

Four minutes later you have hot pizza with a crispy base. It was better than when it was delivered. 

You can all thank me later :)

Left over pizza...? 

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, pieman said:

Left over pizza...? 

I'm struggling to fit into my work pants so I only had half the pizza. Just finished the other half for dinner tonight. 

I keep the lint from the dryer to use to start the pizza oven. its a great starter material

50 minutes ago, Peter said:

I keep the lint from the dryer to use to start the pizza oven. its a great starter material

+1 for the lint...........although mine tends to come from my belly button!

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Ayto said:

+1 for the lint...........although mine tends to come from my belly button!

Where's the pukey "reaction" when you need it! I'll have to emoji it instead 

🤮

10 hours ago, Peter said:

Thanks, might give that a try in my bee smoker.

53 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Casuarina needles.

Thanks, know that one but not a lot of casuarinas near to me.  

As an aside one of my favourite childhood memories is listening to the wind go through the casuarina trees on my grandparents farm.

One that works in Melbourne at least, but not done enough driving in other capitals since working this one out so keen to hear if it works there as well

When approaching major intersections, the lane markers go from broken lines to solid lines at a distance where, once the lights go amber, you do not have the safe breaking distance and are safe to go through the lights before they go red.  If you are on divided lines and the light goes amber, you have the safe breaking distance to stop (assumes you are doing the speed limit) before they go red.

Pointed this out to my nephews when on their Ls to take away some of their angst about when to break for the lights and when not too.

There is a little arrow above the fuel gauge in all cars which tells you which side the fuel cap is on the car.....handy for rental cars when you are failing them up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

One that works in Melbourne at least, but not done enough driving in other capitals since working this one out so keen to hear if it works there as well

When approaching major intersections, the lane markers go from broken lines to solid lines at a distance where, once the lights go amber, you do not have the safe breaking distance and are safe to go through the lights before they go red.  If you are on divided lines and the light goes amber, you have the safe breaking distance to stop (assumes you are doing the speed limit) before they go red.

Pointed this out to my nephews when on their Ls to take away some of their angst about when to break for the lights and when not too.

Absolutely no clue what this is about.

13 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Sounds like an accident and/or ticket waiting to happen.  Single unbroken line means don't change lanes so could be realistically any length (unless Victoria is such a nanny state that its legislated the length of those lines)

AJ

16 hours ago, Nath. said:

There is a little arrow above the fuel gauge in all cars which tells you which side the fuel cap is on the car.....handy for rental cars when you are failing them up.

Many cars. Not mine 😞 Handy tip though!

Here’s a nerdy one. 

Add a column to your spreadsheet and fill with series. So in future when you sort data on a different column you can get back to original order if you fark it up. 

1 hour ago, Kenneth said:

Here’s a nerdy one. 

Add a column to your spreadsheet and fill with series. So in future when you sort data on a different column you can get back to original order if you fark it up. 

Doesn't help if you accidentally sort a single column instead of the whole sheet, or so I have heard 🙄

if someone tail gates you, turn on your wiper wash. They tend to get the message when water sprays over their windscreens. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prince said:

what? my shoe isn't secure anymore?

Not now that all the crooks reading this know to look there 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Prince said:

if someone tail gates you, turn on your wiper wash. They tend to get the message when water sprays over their windscreens. 

I taught my daughter to do what I do, which is to keep your right foot on the accelerator and stay at your normal speed but just rest your left foot on the brake enough to turn the brake lights on. 
You won’t slow down and cause an accident but you will see their eyes widen if they are close enough. 

1 minute ago, roxii said:

I taught my daughter to do what I do, which is to keep your right foot on the accelerator and stay at your normal speed but just rest your left foot on the brake enough to turn the brake lights on. 
You won’t slow down and cause an accident but you will see their eyes widen if they are close enough. 

My left foot is still carrying the muscle memory of many years of manual driving so when I tried this I almost did cause a crash....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, more said:

clean out an old lotion bottle for your beach

My Brother used to keep a piece of blue plastic packing band inside the board racks of his old commodore. He'd lock the keys in the car, then when you come up off the beach, pull the plug off the board rack to get the strip out, then use it to unlock the door. 

I suppose you can't do that to these damn new-fangled cars.

2 hours ago, Prince said:

what? my shoe isn't secure anymore?

Ha, not safe.  A few years back I put my emergency cash under the insole in my shoe at St Kilda beach while I went for a swim early one morning. Money was gone when I returned.

A quick buzz....

Soda streams and tyre inflators use CO2 cartridges to supply a high pressure stream of gas.  Whipped cream dispensers on teh other hand, can't use CO2 as it would make the cream too acidic and yucky. Instead, they use N20 (nitrous oxide or "happy gas").  So if you don't put cream in the dispenser and suck on the outlet nozzle while pressing the dispenser lever you will understand that "Nitrous oxide is a colourless gas that is commonly used for sedation and pain relief, but is also used by people to feel intoxicated or high".

Pete does not recommend or condone the practice of recreational drug taking, however if you know any good ones please let me know - for research purposes only....

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

A quick buzz....

Pete does not recommend or condone the practice of recreational drug taking, however if you know any good ones please let me know - for research purposes only....

Apparently if you suck on a Cane Toad you can have an hallucinogenic episode....and then die.

AJ (Don't try this at home kids) 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

A quick buzz....

Soda streams and tyre inflators use CO2 cartridges to supply a high pressure stream of gas.  Whipped cream dispensers on teh other hand, can't use CO2 as it would make the cream too acidic and yucky. Instead, they use N20 (nitrous oxide or "happy gas").  So if you don't put cream in the dispenser and suck on the outlet nozzle while pressing the dispenser lever you will understand that "Nitrous oxide is a colourless gas that is commonly used for sedation and pain relief, but is also used by people to feel intoxicated or high".

i think the very early models of soda stream that had the small green bulbs were nitrous as i went out with a girl who punctured them and snorted the fumes. She asked me to try but i was way too chicken. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

A quick buzz....

In Vietnam you can buy a balloon full of happy gas right on the street or in some clubs. So I'm told. 

5 hours ago, roxii said:

If you are driving an old car... Simultaneously drop into 2nd and pull on the handbrake 😉

37 minutes ago, Prince said:

i think the very early models of soda stream that had the small green bulbs were nitrous as i went out with a girl who punctured them and snorted the fumes. She asked me to try but i was way too chicken. 

A mate of mine used to carry one in his car for the equivalent of what the kids now call "pre-drinks" when we went out in town.

A funny coincidence that this would happen in the carpark of the dental school in the city. :)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Or there is this!

image.png.8b03da3f6ef9c3a68200f0c49187820a.png

That's all good. Until I walk past & pick it up and put it in the bin. (unless it's next to ppl gear)