goughy

Elliptical as run training?

So, many would know I do no running anymore.  Hopefully I'll get back to doing some tri's next year, but in no run training.  Was figuring is just struggle asking doing 2/1 run walks during them.  Now I never did that much running, only 3 tonnes a week and only 5 to 10k.  I often walk more K's a week now.

But I'm wondering with my crap knees if an elliptical trainer would be enough to give me some semblance of running fitness, so I could at least struggle through 5 or 10k.  I'm not interested in my times, just wanna get back to it for fun.  I have access to ellipticals at my gym.  Would 2 or 3 tonnes a week on them, say 30mins each, give me enough to struggle through the ruin?  Or am I dreaming?

Edit to add: I don't actually even know if I should be using an elliptical trainer or not....

1 hour ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Wrote a book on it. 

Anywhere I can illegally download a copy of your book ;);)

Probably one of the reasons I asked rather than just doing it, is it's not for a period while recovering from injury.  So just wondered if it was a stupid idea long term.  Heck, don't even know if I can stand running on the things; I find running staying still so boring. But I'll be taking my son to the gym anyway.

2 minutes ago, goughy said:

Anywhere I can illegally download a copy of your book ;);)

Probably one of the reasons I asked rather than just doing it, is it's not for a period while recovering from injury.  So just wondered if it was a stupid idea long term.  Heck, don't even know if I can stand running on the things; I find running staying still so boring. But I'll be taking my son to the gym anyway.

Will email it to you

• Like 3

So recently out of my moonboot after 13 weeks - now the really nice man is being mean to me (ie the physio) and one of the things I have now progressed to is one of those mini tramps (of the 90's late night tv shopping shows variety) - an elliptical trainer would be so much cooler (trying to recondition my ankle without over-stressing my 5th metatarsal)

Those 5th metatarsals suck TF!

Props to FB, for sending through his programs, and his tips.  Thanks for that mate!

My son and I got our weights program yesterday, and they added some rower, cycle and elliptical cardio at the end.  Was trying the elliptical yesterday.  Maybe it's because I'm not used to it yet, but it was very hard to get any sort of decent cadence going!  And when I tried to use it without holding to the arm thingies I was very unbalanced and felt awkward.  Maybe just need to get used to it over time.  

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Props to FB, for sending through his programs, and his tips.  Thanks for that mate!

My son and I got our weights program yesterday, and they added some rower, cycle and elliptical cardio at the end.  Was trying the elliptical yesterday.  Maybe it's because I'm not used to it yet, but it was very hard to get any sort of decent cadence going!  And when I tried to use it without holding to the arm thingies I was very unbalanced and felt awkward.  Maybe just need to get used to it over time.  

That all depends on the type of elliptical machine.  The life fitness ones are probably the best as they have less up and down and more elliptical movement.  

Balance has a lot to do ability to control hips through core strength.  Most when use the arm levers just yank the arms and hardly use legs.  

You do get use to it.  Dont worry about going heavy with the resistance settings find a nice rhythm.  

• Like 2

On 01/12/2019 at 4:27 PM, Jim Shortz said:

Also consider water running. That's a solid workout 

I would say water running will be a closer fit... and did it for many years to supplement my running. A 3 hour session will blow your mind.

Yeah, I get the water running thing, and can do it quite well, with no buoyancy needed.  But, if I'm paying to go into a pool I'm not gonna be treading water there!  I'm gonna be swimming.  Only thing worse than watching that black line is bobbing up and down going almost nowhere!  And it's not a supplement to my running, it's a complete replacement for it!

3 hours ago, Slowman said:

I would say water running will be a closer fit... and did it for many years to supplement my running. A 3 hour session will blow your mind.

Is there anything more boring than running on a treadmill.. 

Water running "hold my beer" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, more said:

Is there anything more boring than running on a treadmill.. 

Water running "hold my beer" 

That is the attitude behind it that makes it boring 

On 03/12/2019 at 2:12 PM, Fitness Buddy said:

That all depends on the type of elliptical machine.  The life fitness ones are probably the best as they have less up and down and more elliptical movement.  

Balance has a lot to do ability to control hips through core strength.  Most when use the arm levers just yank the arms and hardly use legs.  

You do get use to it.  Dont worry about going heavy with the resistance settings find a nice rhythm.  

The have Stex s25ex elliptical trainers at my gym.  I think I've worked out one of the reasons they feel weird; I kinda crossover when running, or like run on a line, and these things don't 😉

What about the ellipticals they are flogging at Decathlon? Any good?

Also, Fitness Buddy - I would also be interested in having a read of your book.