Sign in to follow this  
Rodder

Is short course legit

I have been doing Ironman and 70.3 for about 10 years no longer have the motivation to get out the door for any long miles and my body is breaking down. Just wondering what would be more fulfilling move to cycling or concentrate on short course such as the hills series or sprints and Olympic at the elite energy events. What do you think? Ps I am 49 years old and nowhere near ready to stop training or setting goals

It's just a different animal.  Asking whether it's legit or not is a bit like a marathoner saying 5k races don't count.  I love all distances I've done.  Short stuff just for that constant push at the edge of what you can do, and that feeling of wanting to puke when you finally cross the line.  I say give the short stuff a go.  Even really really short, like super sprints, and see if you can keep your hr maxed out for the whole race.

Short course is awsome.  You can go 100% from start to finish.  all over in an hour and having breaky with mates all under 2 hours.

I have done 10 Full Ironmans, 39 Half Ironman and so many short course events, I've lost count.

I personally think short course is the best distance.  Ironman is a great achievement, but its stupid. Cost, time commitment, pressure on family life and basically selfish. etc..

• Like 2

To do well at OD will take similar commitment to IM - just a bit different.

If you think a 10h IM is hard, try going under 2h in a (legitimately measured, non drafting) OD,

that done remember that (even as a 40+ male) to make the podium at the top events you will need sub 1:55 - and there is a whole new level of hurt there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rodder said:

I have been doing Ironman and 70.3 for about 10 years no longer have the motivation to get out the door for any long miles and my body is breaking down. Just wondering what would be more fulfilling move to cycling or concentrate on short course such as the hills series or sprints and Olympic at the elite energy events. What do you think? Ps I am 49 years old and nowhere near ready to stop training or setting goals

I can't get wait to get back to short course! I quite like the Ironman distance, but the training sucks balls. 6 hour rides just don't tickle my pickle. 

1 hour ago, Rodder said:

definitely legit, remember they still have age group world champs for both.   now if you asked are duathlons legit, well thats a different story.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, goughy said:

It's just a different animal.  Asking whether it's legit or not is a bit like a marathoner saying 5k races don't count. 

there is a well know local ultra marathoner who is a regular at the parkrun I attend.  I was next to him at the finish one day and he was bent over sucking them in and commented "geez these 5ks hurt".

• Like 1

I’ve downloaded a few sprint training plans and think that 50 minutes training per day with a 2 hour weekend ride is just what the doctor ordered. Thanks for the advice. It’s sprints for me for the foreseeable future. Can’t wait.        
 Thanks again.  

• Like 2

Just to play devils advocate, the issue I have with short course is cost compared against the length of the event.

Depends which one you do of course and whether cost is a concern.

Compare to cycling, much cheaper.

2 hours ago, Rodder said:

I’ve downloaded a few sprint training plans and think that 50 minutes training per day with a 2 hour weekend ride is just what the doctor ordered. Thanks for the advice. It’s sprints for me for the foreseeable future. Can’t wait.        
 Thanks again.  

Sounds like my Ironman plan 

4 hours ago, Wronggenes said:

Just to play devils advocate, the issue I have with short course is cost compared against the length of the event.

Depends which one you do of course and whether cost is a concern.

Compare to cycling, much cheaper.

You can pick expensive races or cheap ones. 

I recently entered a 5 race series for $100 

even if I did the 2xu series I think to do 6races was $400. 

So for $500 I can do 11 events. 

To do one Ironman is $1000. 

The value is better with short course 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rodder said:

You might need to send AP a PM on this one...