skel

Knee.....when they wear out and you're no longer a runner.

Had some bad news today....long story short. Had a fall in Singapore. Passed out while vomiting. Hit my knee and face. My face was the initial focus. Knee was getting worse. Bad time for long term physio's to leave town. So had MRI on Sunday. Many issues. But main one is that I have Grade 4 chondromalacia at the lateral patellar facet. In short have no cartridge left.

There are many issues......impact from initial motor bike accident in 2002 which altered my lower leg and the way I ran. I have also had surgery on the right peroneal nerve at the knee leave.  Knee cap has overtime shift right and upper. So, no space in between. Then the fall has impacted this by pushing it up and making it worse. 😪😪😪 Feeling very flat. It can recoup, but running is off the card for a while....if maybe never again. Lots of isues with very poor muscle tones etc. Have strict rehab to start working on

Having to balance between walking in 15 years.....

Edited by skel
  • Like 1
  • Sad 10

Sorry to hear it Skel.

i don’t really have any advice as I’m still navigating a similar scenario but just try and stay positive in the short term. 

Really sucky news to get skel.  Sorry to hear it.  Had you had any prior indications of the chrondromalacia, or was it something that was a surprise to you?

Damn. Sorry to hear it. It’s tough when you get that kind of news. I wish I had advice, but nothing more to add than those have said above. Good luck. Stay strong. Or get strong as the case may require. 💪 

• Like 1

I was hit with chronic knee pain about October last year and MRI in January showed similar in terms of lack of cartilage due to multiple surgeries/tears and chondromalacia. Your impact injuries probably add an extra dimension to it but I spent the best part of this year working solely on strength and flexibility, hips, glute, knee etc with no running at all. Also did a little bit of shallow water running in the pool but not too much. 

have recently started jogging and although slow and very unfit have had no issues with the knee but I am sure they are coming. I know given my history I am guaranteed at knee replacements down the track but Id rather 5,10 or 20 years more of running before that happens than not.. 

follow the experts advice, you might not run again, but you might,

The positive is in your time off the bike or running.......you can invest in your swimming. Probably better for you anyway.

Bummer Skel. Do what Flanman says - take your mind off it :)

I know it's probably not relevant for you but Parkside posted a blog item about knee arthroscopies a few days back - might be worth a read for others with knee issues - http://parksidesportsphysio.com.au/a-look-inside-knee-arthroscopy/

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, skel said:

... but running is off the card for a while....if maybe never again.

Most motivating quote there is...

Dr. "Running, you can't do that"

Skel "here hold my electrolite drink... just watch me (after a proper recovery of course)"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That does suck, I recall when my achilles plagued me for 6-12 months a number of years ago I would just sit at the computer watching videos of Killian Jornet running in slow motion up mountains. I was lucky and able to cycle but was considering finding a new or rekindling an old passion (speed chess anyone?) but I got lucky and recovered. I have a mate who has arthritis, he has been able to run again albeit with some pain by going Keto and low carb. That's pretty extreme but removing sugar and processed foods might help if you are not already doing so.

• Thanks 1

On 26/11/2019 at 9:46 PM, skel said:

Feeling very flat. It can recoup, but running is off the card for a while....if maybe never again.

I feel your pain - literally!

Haven't had mine diagnosed yet, but I truly hope both you and I can get back to doing what we love in the not to distant future.

Good luck with it, and in the meantime put some of that great run focus that you had into your rehab exercises! :boxing:

9 hours ago, Go Easy said:

I feel your pain - literally!

Haven't had mine diagnosed yet, but I truly hope both you and I can get back to doing what we love in the not to distant future.

Good luck with it, and in the meantime put some of that great run focus that you had into your rehab exercises! :boxing:

Rehab is strength training essentially something some people neglect.  So rather then call it rehab call it strength training.

11 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Rehab is strength training essentially something some people neglect.  So rather then call it rehab call it strength training.

Agreed, but I specifically called it 'Rehab' as that is what Skel called it...  Personally I wouldn't have a clue! :huh:

On 26/11/2019 at 9:46 PM, skel said:

Lots of issues with very poor muscle tones etc. Have strict rehab to start working on.

On 27/11/2019 at 6:55 AM, goughy said:

Really sucky news to get skel.  Sorry to hear it.  Had you had any prior indications of the chrondromalacia, or was it something that was a surprise to you?

Hey G. You have really had me thinking for a few days on this question (in a good way). I don't know TBH. I think I have put up with it for so long it just felt normal. I was very surprised by the severity as per the MRI. While we were away we walked 5 to 12 km a day for 56 days and it was feeling aggrevated towards the end. So a 'head on 'impact with my knee (and face) didn't help.  So lucky my front teeth didn't get knocked out.

I never realised that the motor bike accident in 2002 altered my lower leg gait.  Then I had nerve surgey on the same knee in 2007, also needed as a consequence of the accident. That was life changing......as I then did a few more IMs, ultra and really great last 3 years with my fabulous coach who had me running faster than ever ....so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

I see it is something many of us a grappling with. In context of a bigger picture, it isn't so bad. It will take time to redefine myself from Mel the runner.  I have started the work. I will add a time to time update in what training did you do today.....

My right foot changed after I recovered from a stress fracture in the 5th meta. It went from flat to putrid flat, and while my knee was already stuffed by then (unbeknownst to me), it exasperated the problems.  But I had no idea anything had changed.