Green Island / Fitzroy Island?

I found some older threads that mention these places, but wondering if anyone has more current experience.

Better half is keen on swimming with turtles.

We tried to go to Lady Elliot Island this year, but had weather issues, so the boat stayed home and we stayed at Bargara.

We did the Mon Repos thing, which was OK, but only part of what we were after.

So, back to the point:

Are we likely to be able to snorkel with some nearby turtle locals at these locations?

Talking end of Jan type times.

Sites indicate yes, and you can't lie on the internet, so, they should be fine, right?

Any experience staying at either place or better to just stay in Cairns and do a day trip?

Fitzroy seems cheaper, but is it a bad cheap?

38 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I found some older threads that mention these places, but wondering if anyone has more current experience.
Better half is keen on swimming with turtles.
We tried to go to Lady Elliot Island this year, but had weather issues, so the boat stayed home and we stayed at Bargara.

Haven't been to Green Island but have spent a couple of weeks on Lady Elliot. If you're snorkelling it's not the place to see turtles. They're there but you'd be a fair way out in 30-40 feet.

Probably an extreme suggestion but Grand Cayman in the Caribbean is pretty much guaranteed. There is a breeding turtle farm at the end of the island and they release them as they get to a medium size. You can walk into the water around sunset and hand feed them - very cool place but also very expensive.

My family did a day trip to Lady Musgrove Island (just up from Lady Eliot) a couple of months ago. Saw at least 20 turtles, a manta ray and a small reef shark while snorkelling. Turtles great, coral just ok. No lux resort there, just some rough camping so probably not what you are after.

• Like 1

Went to Heron Island (off Gladstone) where there is a resort, Went in Sept this year. Need to check season if primary going for turtles. Would go back again. Were there 4 nights i think.

We snorkeled with turtles very much every time went snorkeling; either from the shore or a boat. The reef is not a colorful as future north. The turtles were really impressive and plenty of other fish life as well.

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

Go to New Caledonia. 

You may find the cost of staying in somewhere 'nice' in Australia is around the same price by the time you factor in flights and fly to somewhere like this - and you then get duty free on the way home as well.  I saw one turtle briefly while kayaking off Raratonga, the snorkelling there was the best I've seen from my limited travels

17 hours ago, flathead said:

My family did a day trip to Lady Musgrove Island (just up from Lady Eliot) a couple of months ago. Saw at least 20 turtles, a manta ray and a small reef shark while snorkelling. Turtles great, coral just ok. No lux resort there, just some rough camping so probably not what you are after.

Was that a boat trip from Bundy or from Agnes Waters/1770?

I read a few reports that have the trip as fairly bumpy/eventful.

4 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

You may find the cost of staying in somewhere 'nice' in Australia is around the same price by the time you factor in flights and fly to somewhere like this -

This is definitely an issue.

We're off to NY next year, so need to put money aside for that.

Even a weekend trip, relatively local, is turning into the cost of an airfare to New York.

19 hours ago, KieranR said:

Better off coming to exmouth! Turtles everywhere here

Previous WA expeditions have not received rave reviews.

Probably didn't help the first one was to Southern Cross 😂

I think the Maldives are a better chance than Exmouth :)