Jump to content
Peter

Hong Kong and the USA

Recommended Posts

Okay I don't get how the USA can make Laws in the USA for other countries?

Can we make laws in Australia that we don't like the gun laws in the USA and start locking yanks up that have them?  No. 

 

Quote

Five months after pro-democracy demonstrations began roiling Hong Kong, the U.S. is finally taking action to support the protesters. And China is not happy about it.

On Wednesday, the U.S. House of Representatives passed two bills aimed at protecting the human rights of protesters involved in Hong Kong’s pro-democracy movement. They’re now just one man’s signature away from becoming law; President Donald Trump reportedly intends to sign the legislation, given its overwhelming support in Congress, although he has not publicly confirmed this.

 

The “Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act,” which passed 417 votes to one

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

IronJimbo will know

Indeed

Short answer is that it can't.  The Act (as I understand it) is about US policy towards Hong Kong.  Sort of official recognition of Hong Kong's right to exist etc, so basically the opposite of what the Palestinian Authorities have on the books regarding Israel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would that mean they’d now have to recognise asylum seekers from there too? 
not playing politics just genuinely asking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, roxii said:

Would that mean they’d now have to recognise asylum seekers from there too? 
not playing politics just genuinely asking

It appears there is provision that states that HK citizens cannot be denied visas if they have been involved in pro-democracy advocacy/protests, but I'm not sure how it would affect asylum claims 

Essentially it's a review and upgrade of a similar bill passed in 1992

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

IronJimbo will know

LOL.  I'm sure and thats why I didnt post it in the trump thread. 

It's certainly weird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Sort of official recognition of Hong Kong's right to exist etc, so basically the opposite of what the Palestinian Authorities have on the books regarding Israel

Coincidentally also the opposite of what the Israel, the U.S., Australia and a handful of other countries have on the books with respect to Palestine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the biggest fears of my HK friends is that the US will remove their "Free Port Status" this is essentially the US recognising HK as being a seperate entity from China. That is why Hong Kong passport holders get visa free access to various countries which Mainland Chinese do not as well as a whole load of other trade exemptions etc.

The fear amongst Hong Kongers is that if it becomes clear that China is in fact completely controlling HK then the US would be inclined to remove free port status. If that happened then the rest of the world would probably follow suit. This is a clear indication that at the moment the US are doing the opposite.

Here's a full explanation: https://thediplomat.com/2019/06/hong-kong-needs-china-and-it-needs-the-world-too/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stikman said:

Coincidentally also the opposite of what the Israel, the U.S., Australia and a handful of other countries have on the books with respect to Palestine.

I'm not aware of any country which has officially called for the destruction of the de jure state of Palestine

Such matters probably warrant their own thread though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It appears there is provision that states that HK citizens cannot be denied visas if they have been involved in pro-democracy advocacy/protests, but I'm not sure how it would affect asylum claims 

Essentially it's a review and upgrade of a similar bill passed in 1992

I haven't read anything about it, but that's something like what I imagined it would be. So hardly a case of "the USA can mak(ing) Laws in the USA for other countries" as Peter initially said.

Maybe more like Hawke's decision to give sanctuary to Chinese students in Australia following Tiananmen Square.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

More importantly Peter what was your go to bar in Wan Chai?

I drank a bit in temple street markets. And the Sheraton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Peter said:

I drank a bit in temple street markets. And the Sheraton. 

I often ate on the corner where the markets started. Nothing beats a hot balmy night in HK with lots of good seafood/chinese and beer in a low key nondescript setting. The jugs of beer were nice and cold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I often ate on the corner where the markets started. Nothing beats a hot balmy night in HK with lots of good seafood/chinese and beer in a low key nondescript setting. The jugs of beer were nice and cold. 

100% agree.  Hope it recovers.  It was pretty bleak a few weeks ago. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...