Flanman

2020 Plans/Objectives

Well, can you believe there’s only six weeks to go until the start of 2020. Olympic year, leap year as well as a new decade. Shit, time goes fast !Well, I only have one objective for the year.  It might sound soft (just one objective), but it’s a biggie.

My objective is to get better at everything I can. Exercise, health, happiness, fishing, language, friendship, Weight, travel, husband/grandfather, environmentalist, golf, cooking, language  - whatever I can. Planning has commenced. 

So, what are your objectives or plans ?

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 4

I've done IMWA 2018 and 2019 as well as a few 70.3s and the end result is a lot of training and not heaps of racing. I miss the smaller local races, sprints ODs etc especially the ones in random places. Albany, Rotto etc Keen to qualify for Taupo 70.3 too, so will probs do a 70.3 in Asia and Busso in May to give myself 2 chances.

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Do I’m Arizona 

It’s a cool race. It’s a college town so there’s plenty of bars & cheap food places to eat. 

Sell damn house -->

Delete all of the ex's contact details -->

Move on properly and finally from life which almost killed me.

Finally finish 2nd year physio (complete one subject I failed and it will be done)

Get body into better shape - size, strength, stability, endurance

Get a Busso finish time which starts with a number lower than 14

Get a finish time from an IM which isn't as easy as Busso

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Flanman said:

2020 Plans/Objectives

Based on this year, still being alive at the end of 2020 would be nice!

I saw the Neurologist yesterday, as it's exactly six months after having my brain seizures.  He agreed to let me try to wean myself off the anti-seizure medication (Keppra) and has said that it's ok for me to swim and ride again as long as I'm aware of the risks.  So far I've only had one swim and, apart from it being really slow & awkward, it was bloody brilliant!

I also saw my Urologist recently to get my latest PSA results (which were taken six weeks after my surgery for Prostate Cancer).  The Urologist said he was happy with my progress, but that the test results still showed a small PSA reading (0.03) which although not high, is still not ideal after having a Radical Prostatectomy.  Neither he nor the Physio were real keen on me getting back into much exercise as yet, but I figured that if I do happen to need radiation treatment next year then I'd rather be a bit fitter going into it.  So I've managed to get out and do the 5km Parkrun for the past three weeks.  It's taken me over 30 minutes to do each one, but I'm getting better.  My biggest problem is that my inactivity over the  past six months has meant that I've now got really stiff knees that ache badly during and after running.  I'd been hoping that it was just one of the side effects of the Keppra medication, but apparently it's not, it's more likely that it will be arthritis in the joints...   Ain't getting older fun!!

That all sounds pretty dire, but really I'm fine, I'm happy and I'm really looking forward to next year.  I've had a great run in life so far, so anything that I do get done in 2020 will just be a bonus!  Bring it on!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I've got Cairns 2020 full distance ironman that I've already started training for. I'd love to go sub 5 hours at Sunny Coast 70.3.

• Like 1

Aim for 2020 is to complete 4 Ironmans (NZ, Port, Cairns and Busso )  - so I can apply for legacy spot at the end of 2020 😎

• Thanks 1

Find an unusual race to do, hopefully in an exotic location.

Given my work location I am tempted by Ironman Kazakhstan. There is an ultramarathon on a frozen lake here in Mongolia, but I HATE the cold.

5 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Find an unusual race to do, hopefully in an exotic location.

Given my work location I am tempted by Ironman Kazakhstan. There is an ultramarathon on a frozen lake here in Mongolia, but I HATE the cold.

Terribly amusing.

I have the right clothing to "enjoy" running outside in cold weather. However, not matter, what clothing you have, running a 10+ hour ultra on ice is a whole different level of crazy.

1 minute ago, Ironnerd said:

I have the right clothing to "enjoy" running outside in cold weather. However, not matter, what clothing you have, running a 10+ hour ultra on ice is a whole different level of crazy.

Not disagreeing with you one iota. lol

3 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

Aim for 2020 is to complete 4 Ironmans (NZ, Port, Cairns and Busso )  - so I can apply for legacy spot at the end of 2020 😎

Not much gap between NZ, Port and Cairns.  Really hope your body holds up.

3 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

you won't get a spot until 2023 

• Sad 1

Toying (secretly) with the idea of doing my 2nd Ironman in 2020 (last one in 2012). Looking at Busso or maybe New Zealand in 2021. Haven't mentioned this to the wife yet (she hates Ironman)

I was going to base the decision on how well I went at the 70.3 Worlds in Nice, in particular my run split on such dead flat run course. But I got sick the day before and completed the race in survival mode to collect the finishers towel and medal. So now I'll have to use Geelong 70.3 as the basis of my decision. Not such a flat run course.

Now my wife wants us to qualify for 70.3 Worlds in Taupo (which I wasn't planning to do). Don't think we can afford to travel to two races in such a short timeframe. Still recovering financially from Nice (and the subsequent 3 week European holiday). Maybe I can sell a trip to Busso as a consolation prize if we miss qualification for Taupo. We both loved spending a week in Margaret River after we raced Mandurah 70.3, so that could be an extra selling point. Or alternatively we could go to Taupo 4 months later.

39 minutes ago, Rob said:

Not much gap between NZ, Port and Cairns.  Really hope your body holds up.

Youngy, You'd almost be better going to the states or Europe and doing 3 in 3 weeks.  One build.  Just get thru them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Youngy, You'd almost be better going to the states or Europe and doing 3 in 3 weeks.  One build.  Just get thru them. 

Good idea - except I've already entered those races and booked flights and accommodation    

Lose 20kg, learn how to walk again, then learn how to run again .

Wow, 13 weeks of not walking (limping in a moon boot is not walking) really messes you up in ways you don't expect, eg: sole of toot is to tender to stand on anything rougher than carpet :( . Ortho says my Jones fracture is "clinically reunited" and off to the physio to correct my gait,  but no running until after my next consult in Feb. Better than the other possible outcome though (a bunch of metal in my foot).

Perhaps even persuade spouse that a Phd is a good idea.

Get CAMS lisc.

Edited by trifun
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Given my work location I am tempted by Ironman Kazakhstan. 

Now that sounds like a cool race location.

1 minute ago, humdrum said:

Now that sounds like a cool race location.

One of the guys I work with did the 70.3 this year and said that it was a cool experience.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

Yay. Keep us posted on the progress please 👍👍

35 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Marathon, if the legs hold up.

Part of me wants to do the Taiwan KOM challenge, but that might be a 2 year prep.

The KOM challenge looks epic.  I had a mate do it this year.  Nearly killed him.

im toying with my first Marathon outside of an Ironman. 

• Like 1

I put my name on the waiting list for the 2020 UTA 100km. I have wanted to do this race for a long time.

• Like 1

2019 not done yet, but 2020 will be nothing like the volume of training I’ve done this year. I owe the family big time.

Taupo would be good though. 

• Like 2

Wanaka (it's a half now), then King Island Imperial 20. That's on the same day as IMNZ, so it's off the table this year. Looking at doing IM Brasil again, at the end of May. It would be my first mdot in 14 years. There are fewer and fewer independent IMs, and almost nothing between December and March. Israman would be fun, but it's not in the cards for me this year. Might try Almere again – went this year and ended up sick on race morning. Or maybe Challenge Anhui.

On 21 November 2019 at 5:43 PM, Flanman said:

My objective is to get better at everything I can. Exercise, health, happiness, fishing, language, friendship, Weight, travel, husband/grandfather, environmentalist, golf, cooking, language  - whatever I can. Planning has commenced. 

FM

1 Husky

2 UTA 50

3 IM UK in Bolton 

As I have learned the hard way life has a habit of messing up plans

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peter said:

The KOM challenge looks epic.  I had a mate do it this year.  Nearly killed him.

im toying with my first Marathon outside of an Ironman. 

Yeah, 80k climb, or thereabouts. 

11 hours ago, Go Easy said:
On 22/11/2019 at 3:37 PM, trifun said:

Get CAMS lisc.

:confused1:

Ticket to poverty (but an awesome thing)! Get horses instead, they will be cheaper. 😂

Seriously, best wishes with it! You must read Ayrton Sennas Principles of Race Driving from Hazelton printing. It is by far the best drivers book I've read.

Mine, I qualified for the 2016 CrossTri WC, got the Aussie suit and also got really sick.

2020 goal will be to complete some unfinished business and qualify to compete in the 2021 CrossTri WC in QLD.

Edited by Slunnie
  • Like 2

Get my hip to 100% and walk without a limp.

Get back on a bike.

Do a few 5 k ocean swims 

Come to terms with not being a triathlete any more

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Flanman said:

Only a week ?

FM

Yeah, might be taking a longer holiday later :)  and my contract ends not long after the wedding.

* Continue to educate leftists 

* IM #8

* Play more golf

* Continue to establish and maintain better habits 

10 hours ago, Slunnie said:

Ticket to poverty (but an awesome thing)! Get horses instead, they will be cheaper. 😂

Seriously, best wishes with it! You must read Ayrton Sennas Principles of Race Driving from Hazelton printing. It is by far the best drivers book I've read.

Yeah, wasn't sure what sort of Motor Racing that Trifun was planning to do with his CAMS Licence.  I was involved in Rally Driving with one of my sons for a couple of years and yes, it's an absolute blast!

10 hours ago, Slunnie said:

Mine, I qualified for the 2016 CrossTri WC, got the Aussie suit and also got really sick.

2020 goal will be to complete some unfinished business and qualify to compete in the 2021 CrossTri WC in QLD.

Haha, what's the chances...  I also did the 2016 Cross Tri World Champs at Crackenback and got crook.  Was actually fairly broken going into the event, and believe it or not, did this with another one of my sons.  He started in an earlier wave and I caught him by the end of the bike and we did the entire run leg and crossed the finish line together.  That was pretty special.

I think I may have actually spoken to you briefly at that event, but my recall isn't brilliant since having the seizures earlier this year.  Would love to be able to qualify & do the 2021 WC Cross Tri with you, but there's some pretty fast guys in my age group so even if I do get back to running & riding I think I've probably got Buckley's chance of qualifying!

On 22/11/2019 at 7:18 AM, Go Easy said:

I've had a great run in life so far, so anything that I do get done in 2020 will just be a bonus!  Bring it on!!

Like I said earlier, I've had a great run so far.  How many blokes get to navigate, with one of their sons driving, a rally car at the 'National Capital Rally' (plus several other rally events) and also race in a 'World Championships Cross Triathlon' event alongside one of their other sons all within a 12 month period...   Life's been pretty good! :thumbsup:

Edited by Go Easy
  • Like 1