zed

New 70.3 in Oceania

1 hour ago, Chuckie M said:

Same day as the HB100 in 2020. Which is a better event. 🤔

This should make things interesting.

ITU LD WC is in Townsville in 2021

Qualifier races for the LDWC for the last few years has included the HB100, assuming that they keep the same qualifying races (to be announced in April), that could be a very interesting clash.

OTOH, I am more than happy if no one turns up in 35-39 to whatever the qualifier races are, more chance for me to get points.

1 hour ago, Chuckie M said:

Same day as the HB100 in 2020. Which is a better event. 🤔

34 minutes ago, Jim Shortz said:

HB100 

err, on what basic?

Have you don't both Ironman Melbourne 70.3 and HB100 to be able to compare?

5 minutes ago, Jim Shortz said:

No 

But I don't like Melbourne and I like HB. 

He asked which was the better event. 

Not was the better location. 

Melbourne 70.3 will sell out the first two years. It's a PB course on most days. If the weather gods give you a 30+ north wind day in November, you will just have to suck it up and take what you get.

The local residents won't whinge about the race. They have events on in their area from October to May every year. It's actually brilliant timing event wise in that St Kilda / Beach road area,  when you think about it.

Starting the second week in October, the schedule of events Oct to Dec would be: Around the bay bike ride, week break, Melbourne Marathon, week break, Gay Pride festival St Kilda, two week break, Melbourne 70.3, following week, 2 XU race 1 Elwood, two week break, 2XU race 2 St Kilda.

The whingey residents are far more interested in protesting about the F1 GP and telling anyone who will listen not to buy any of Scotty Cam's units int the various "Block" developments. 

So see you all at the Melbourne 70.3. 

• Haha 3

On 27/11/2019 at 2:50 PM, Peter said:

Ease up.  Melbourne has swims and also it isn't downhill like Busso.

And Busso and Penrith are way more flat compared to beach road in Melb

Melbourne has swims, I remember when the IM swim in Melbs was 500m one year due to waves or something like that.

But don't let the truth get in the way of trying to sell the event....btw I like St Kilda so if I was fit I would probably do it and have a holiday down there. But HB100 would also appeal as cheaper and another good holiday destination with Fraser island on it's doorstep 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clarkevitch said:

Melbourne has swims, I remember when the IM swim in Melbs was 500m one year due to waves or something like that.

But don't let the truth get in the way of trying to sell the event....btw I like St Kilda so if I was fit I would probably do it and have a holiday down there. But HB100 would also appeal as cheaper and another good holiday destination with Fraser island on it's doorstep 

That swim location sucked and was exposed.  In st kilda its protected from all directions. 

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

In st kilda its protected from all directions. 

You only have to worry about e-coli, right?

23 minutes ago, Tyno said:

You only have to worry about e-coli, right?

Its not Canberra.  

15 minutes ago, Crowies crushed nuts said:

HB is one of the worst places I’ve visited in Australia. Hasn’t left the 70’s. Food was shocking too. 

Go to Western Australia.  Its 1980 there.  

U2 are there performing their first album this weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Peter said:

Go to Western Australia.  Its 1980 there.  

U2 are there performing their first album this weekend. 

Ok I’ll give you that one, a good joke for a change 😀

They are trying to make sub 5 the minimum standard, flat and lots of people, suppose they don't have a down hill point to point run yet 

Melbourne is a PB course if you draft and/or the course is short. Otherwise, on paper, there’s faster courses.. in fact, I’d say Shep is probably faster on equal, calm days. Busso half can be faster but dependant on weather, when you get the morning fog there it can make a noticeable difference on the bike (same in early morning Melb in April).

50 minutes ago, lachie94 said:

Melbourne is a PB course if you draft and/or the course is short. Otherwise, on paper, there’s faster courses.. in fact, I’d say Shep is probably faster on equal, calm days. Busso half can be faster but dependant on weather, when you get the morning fog there it can make a noticeable difference on the bike (same in early morning Melb in April).

100% agree.

39 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

The courses are all getting very similar, which is fine as it keeps people doing the races

Yep exactly why I raced overseas 

Someone that rides beach road i agree that shep is a faster bike course.  Swim faster in theory too as its enclosed where the bay can get choppy. 
the runs are both flat. 

if you are pb hunting without drafting, shep is faster. 

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

100% agree.

Yep exactly why I raced overseas 

Looking ahead to next year, the NE of the US has a huge amount of WTC and independent races with hilly rolling flat and everything in between. There are brilliant runs in state parks with challenging bike courses.

The M dot leans mostly to a pattern, try to make easier courses, though Placid and St George are not easy. Thinking of doing Lake Placid just to finish in the Olympic stadium.

We are definitely in a race to win participant dollars by making the most accessible courses. Would love IM Oz to go back up ghost road and be the three laps up to flynns

58 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Looking ahead to next year, the NE of the US has a huge amount of WTC and independent races with hilly rolling flat and everything in between. There are brilliant runs in state parks with challenging bike courses.

The M dot leans mostly to a pattern, try to make easier courses, though Placid and St George are not easy. Thinking of doing Lake Placid just to finish in the Olympic stadium.

We are definitely in a race to win participant dollars by making the most accessible courses. Would love IM Oz to go back up ghost road and be the three laps up to flynns

You will love US races. They have twice the atmosphere of Aus race. Ironman Wisconsin looks cool. You run in the football stadium 

So WS 70.3 in Sept, Melbourne in November, Busso in Dec, Geelong and Huski in Feb, Busso and Port in May. 

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

You will love US races. They have twice the atmosphere of Aus race. Ironman Wisconsin looks cool. You run in the football stadium 

Too much choice 

2 hours ago, Flanman said:

So WS 70.3 in Sept, Melbourne in November, Busso in Dec, Geelong and Huski in Feb, Busso and Port in May. 

FM

Shep in April. 

Kingscliff is a half isn’t it?  Oct?

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Shep in April. 

Kingscliff is a half isn’t it?  Oct?

Tweed Enduro, half distance, March.

22 hours ago, Crowies crushed nuts said:

HB is one of the worst places I’ve visited in Australia. Hasn’t left the 70’s. Food was shocking too. 

I want a simple life. Give me the 70's any day. I will go vegan. Fruit and Rice. AKA Durianrider. Has he been wearing a wig lately?😃

11 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

I want a simple life. Give me the 70's any day. I will go vegan. Fruit and Rice. AKA Durianrider. Has he been wearing a wig lately?😃

Yes. All his hair fell out.  Its an Adelaide thing. 

• Haha 1

On 30/11/2019 at 10:44 AM, Peter said:

Someone that rides beach road i agree that shep is a faster bike course.  Swim faster in theory too as its enclosed where the bay can get choppy. 
the runs are both flat. 

if you are pb hunting without drafting, shep is faster. 

I disagree, I'd choose Melbourne for a PB over Shep..  only my opinion ;-). 

Beach road is a much faster ride, the surface super smooth, Shep is rough road and fully exposed to the winds. The swim course is not as fast as the course is not wide enough and you have people on top of each other, that slows you down.  I've even had someone so off course on the Shep M shape that the swum into me head on (nasty little blood nose for the remainder of the race).

Stephen