zed

New 70.3 in Oceania

1 hour ago, Katz said:

What is it about the US IM events you like so much Bored?

His boyfriend lives there. 

3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Hills.  

Dude, what is wrong with you? Hills suck. (Says the member of Perth Hills Tri Club)

Oh.....now I see why you dislike Busso as you do. 

I enjoy the time I spend traveling with my family before & after the race. Exploring new cities, cultures, history and donuts.

The family & I are bored with Busso (it’s a boring course) Port is ok but nothing special and Cairns is ok but i have been there about 10 times for work so I’m over it. 

If my girls are going to support me over a 12 week Ironman prep they want some reward for their effort & going to Busso just won’t cut it. 

With limited leave I didn’t  want to do separate Ironman & sight seeing holidays.

overseas course are also new & exciting on race day. The US communities also support the races a lot more than Australia.

My girls also like volunteering at US races more than Aust races. They are made to feel welcome & often make friends who we are still in touch with. They said they don’t get the same vibe when volunteering in Aust. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Katz said:

Dude, what is wrong with you? Hills suck. (Says the member of Perth Hills Tri Club)

Oh.....now I see why you dislike Busso as you do. 

I don’t dislike Busso it’s a good town to visit once & do the race. I just think it’s very “vanilla” there is nothing unique about the course. Esp now they removed the jetty swim. I also think the race lacks atmosphere esp the finish line. It’s also an easy course. 

I thought the finish line got a bit better when it was in the Main Street. But it still wasn’t great. 

10 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I don’t dislike Busso it’s a good town to visit once & do the race. I just think it’s very “vanilla” there is nothing unique about the course. Esp now they removed the jetty swim. I also think the race lacks atmosphere esp the finish line. It’s also an easy course

I thought the finish line got a bit better when it was in the Main Street. But it still wasn’t great. 

Yeah, fair enough. 

It's not that easy. LOL

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

I asked a few of the WTC staffer about the new race location while at WS 70.3 and none let slip, anyone hear any whispers?

I've heard more than whispers. I've heard yelling.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, markso1077 said:

As a local it will be great to have three half ironmans from Nov to April. November weather in Melbourne though...total crapshoot.

I don't agree.  I have noticed that if the day was hot a year ago it will be hot again.  It's really weird.  Or if its wet, it was a year ago.

Just memories that pop up on FB but still, it's pretty common.

I'm going total left field with a guess:

WA, QLD & NSW already have two 70.3 each.   Vic has Geelong & Challenge Shep.   So I think it's Victoria but not in Melb.

Option A) Albury/Wodonga - mainly Vic, good for Canberra, sort of ok for NSW
Option b) Mt Gambier - 4 hrs from both Adelaide and Melbourne.  Although buggered if I know where you can swim in Mt Gambier.  Blue Lake is big enough but that's the drinking water.

Edited by ScubaSteve

8 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Option A) Albury/Wodonga - mainly Vic, good for Canberra, sort of ok for NSW

I've been saying for years that this would be an awesome location for an Ironman.

The country town helps.  Great roads and swimming.

Confirmed Melbourne

Possibly the worst kept secret ever.

November 15th

Edited by Peter

On 21/11/2019 at 11:52 AM, Peter said:

I always love people that bag Melbourne that have never lived there.

It's in Melbourne dude.  

On 21/11/2019 at 12:07 PM, zed said:

I was there for a week, too many fücking hipsters. 

Guessing we won't be seeing you over in Melbourne for the 70.3.

44 minutes ago, zed said:

haha thank god for edit function

Yeah all your crazy wild predictions were all wrong.

Funny you had 3 in the one thread.  I've had 1 wrong in 10 years.

go figure.

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

but where.

After an absence of four years IRONMAN is returning to Melbourne, the southern sporting mecca, with the launch of the new IRONMAN® 70.3® Melbourne taking place on 15 November, 2020!

You’ll enjoy city racing at its best, with a big city buzz that will make it unlike any other race on the circuit. Outstanding accommodation, easy access and public transport right at its doorstep, the crowds will flock to St Kilda. St Kilda is renowned for its colourful past, expansive views of Port Phillip Bay, safe sandy beach, palm-lined boardwalk, iconic buildings, gorgeous sunsets and stunning parks and gardens.

IRONMAN 70.3 Melbourne will be on a centrally located, spectator friendly and super quick course that starts at the St Kilda Sea Baths, with a 1.9-km one lap swim in Port Phillip Bay. Athletes will then complete a 90-km, two lap, fully closed bike course along iconic Beach Road, finishing at the Catani Gardens in St Kilda after a two lap, 21.1-km run with coastal and magnificent Melbourne skyline views. The new event offers athletes a chance to be among the first to race the new and improved course.

Come to play at the world class restaurants, bars and cafés and endless shopping of nearby Fitzroy and Acland St, offering a host of wonderful experiences once the racing concludes.

General registrations open at 11 a.m. AEDT on 6 Feb. 2020. Lock this date in your calendar to ensure you get on the start line!

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yeah all your crazy wild predictions were all wrong.

Funny you had 3 in the one thread.  I've had 1 wrong in 10 years.

go figure.

Only 1 wrong, but it was a biggie.

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

I will be there 2020. Closest 70.3 to Perth. I will even let you buy me a beer. A schooner or whatever's called over there..

Edited by zed

6 minutes ago, zed said:

I will be there 2020. Closest 70.3 to Perth. I will even let you buy me a beer. A schooner or whatever's called over there..

And he might sell you an apartment or two....Bring your credit card!!

4 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

And he might sell you an apartment or two....Bring your credit card!!

As if Perth people could afford east coast city property.  

Leave them to their 300K places.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Peter said:

As if Perth people could afford east coast city property.  

Leave them to their 300K places.

We've got to save our money for our regular trips to Bali.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

So Peter,Any idea of likely course.

Swim in the cove at St Kilda.

2 laps to Mordie

Run, unconfirmed so far.  But at a guess, probably 3 laps towards Elwood.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Swim in the cove at St Kilda.

2 laps to Mordie

Run, unconfirmed so far.  But at a guess, probably 3 laps towards Elwood.

2 lap run

it's more or less the old Challenge Melbourne course but 2 lap ride/run instead of 3. Both pancake flat.

On 20/11/2019 at 5:14 PM, Flanman said:

Alice, Alice - where the f*^k is Alice ?

FM

Melbourne, Melbourne - where the f*^k is Melbourne?

FM

33 minutes ago, Aidan said:

2 lap run

it's more or less the old Challenge Melbourne course but 2 lap ride/run instead of 3. Both pancake flat.

Sounds easier than Busso.

1 minute ago, Katz said:

Sounds easier than Busso.

Ease up.  Melbourne has swims and also it isn't downhill like Busso.

And Busso and Penrith are way more flat compared to beach road in Melb

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Peter said:

Ease up.  Melbourne has swims and also it isn't downhill like Busso.

And Busso and Penrith are way more flat compared to beach road in Melb

Do you think, considering the death of the sport in this country, that Melbourne 70.3 will be a success or it will die a slow death like every other race in Australia?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, zed said:

Do you think, considering the death of the sport in this country, that Melbourne 70.3 will be a success or it will die a slow death like every other race in Australia?

Given it isnt in Frankston, and not competing with the grand prix, I expect it will be a full within 2 years...

*scoop*

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pieman said:

Given it isnt in Frankston, and not competing with the grand prix, I expect it will be a full within 2 years...

*scoop*

I will go the opposite and say the race will disappear within 5 years. The experiment of running these races in more populated areas did not work before - the locals will not be happy with the loss of their streets and having to spend the better part of a day on already stretched back roads

30 minutes ago, pieman said:

*scoop*

didn't they try that once?

waste of time having it in melbourne if you want my opinion. put in somewhere in a nicer location where people can have a bit of a holiday. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

I will go the opposite and say the race will disappear within 5 years. The experiment of running these races in more populated areas did not work before - the locals will not be happy with the loss of their streets and having to spend the better part of a day on already stretched back roads

Yeah I was mostly in jest... people in less populated areas (port, kingscliff, byron bay) etc are getting good enough at kicking up a stink so I would say somewhere busy like st kilda will not be popular...

5 minutes ago, pieman said:

Yeah I was mostly in jest... people in less populated areas (port, kingscliff, byron bay) etc are getting good enough at kicking up a stink so I would say somewhere busy like st kilda will not be popular...

One lane of beach road is pretty much taken up by cyclists as it is, they will hardly notice a difference..

8 hours ago, Peter said:

I don't agree.  I have noticed that if the day was hot a year ago it will be hot again.  It's really weird.  Or if its wet, it was a year ago.

Just memories that pop up on FB but still, it's pretty common.

You post the weather on your Facebook account...? 

How interesting.... LOL 🤣✌️👍

2 hours ago, zed said:

It will sell out. 

8 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

Option b) Mt Gambier - 4 hrs from both Adelaide and Melbourne.  Although buggered if I know where you can swim in Mt Gambier.  Blue Lake is big enough but that's the drinking water.

Pretty sure those coming from Adelaide would prefer to drink from Blue Lake after 1500 triathletes had pissed in it, rather than what comes out of their taps back home.

• Haha 1

If it's like Challenge (or at least the first one), it really isn't close to St. Kilda – it was an 8km ride down. Maybe won't bother people so much.

course.thumb.jpg.6fce77a20cd14d3166a625e9cb16f26b.jpg

17 minutes ago, steve said:

If it's like Challenge (or at least the first one), it really isn't close to St. Kilda – it was an 8km ride down. Maybe won't bother people so much.

The press release says Catalina Gardens for transition, so it won't be the old course, esp with a 2 lap bike leg (IE. same turn around, just do it twice)

• Thanks 2