zed

IM - little bit underdone on the run

My IM program started late July and has been going well, but picked up a slight calf niggle a few weeks ago. My running for the last few weeks has been this:

Sunday 3 Nov - 2 x 21km 

Tues 5 Nov - 8km interval, picked up calf injury

Sat 9 Nov - 30min brick run, calf fine

Sun 9 Nov - 20km run, calf sore last 1km

Sun 17 Nov - 10km easy, calf not great

Physio reckons it's not a tear, no pain, swelling and can stretch the shit out of it without any issues. It's just very tight. Both calves are. Right is worse though.  So dealing with that, plenty of downward doggie style.  Hopefully it should be OK race day. But how much is the lack of running going to hurt my race which is Dec 1. Which would make 3 weeks with very little running. 

Refer TO's race in Kona. Reset your mindset, low running 3 weeks into race is probably best anyway. Enjoy your PB! 

Don’t forget to work on hip flexors and quads.  If they are really tight it can cascade down to calves.  

• Like 2

All comes down to how hard you want and need to push on the day. Mindset will make a big difference. For my race last weekend, with the build up I had, all I wanted to do was finish, within the timelimit. I knew that it would be shit and slow, but a finish was what I set out to achieve. 80mins slower than the year before, I finished. And in some respects, I felt better about it that many other races, while slow, it was a lot more even in pace than previous races, I felt I managed myself better. (And hearing afterwards from some of the vollies that after they saw me when my knee went, they were surprised that I kept going) - a little pain and suffering can be good for the soul.

This is the list of 'Run' training I managed in the last 6 weeks

Sept 25 - 12.7k (110m elevation) walk ave 9:28min/km
Oct 8 - 12.3k (155m elevation) walk ave 10:41min/km
Oct 12 - 19k trail walk, (1023m elevation) ave 14:42min/km

Race day Nov17 42k in 5h54m

Question - how well can you walk? just keep it moving daily, and get in a little, as Peter said, better to be undercooked than over. 

3 hours ago, zed said:

My IM program started late July and has been going well, but picked up a slight calf niggle a few weeks ago. My running for the last few weeks has been this:

Sunday 3 Nov - 2 x 21km 

Physio reckons it's not a tear, no pain, swelling and can stretch the shit out of it without any issues. It's just very tight. Both calves are. Right is worse though.  So dealing with that, plenty of downward doggie style.  Hopefully it should be OK race day. But how much is the lack of running going to hurt my race which is Dec 1. Which would make 3 weeks with very little running. 

Zed you’re not going to pick up much fitness now anyway. Rest it and don’t do any further damage. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zed said:

Sunday 3 Nov - 2 x 21km 

Just concentrate on your beer mile outfit instead of running

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zed said:

Sunday 3 Nov - 2 x 21km 

2 x 21km?   unusual session, and I would also suspect where the calf injury may have come from, especially backing up to a decent interval session 2 days later. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Prince said:

2 x 21km?   unusual session, and I would also suspect where the calf injury may have come from, especially backing up to a decent interval session 2 days later. 

Agree. 

Too much emphasis on the distances and not just time/effort..? ✌️

45 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Just concentrate on your beer mile outfit instead of running

He'll dominate that anyway going off last year 🤣

8 minutes ago, Prince said:

Yeah everyone I've spoken to has queried that. And yeah for sure that's what's caused the calf. Ran 8km today and it was OK which is good. Physio wants me to run 12 tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, Jim Shortz said:

He'll dominate that anyway going off last year 🤣

He didn’t win it last year, the minion did, one of grochys mates.  Zed had a yak and I don’t recall if he drank his penalty beer or not

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah everyone I've spoken to has queried that. And yeah for sure that's what's caused the calf. Ran 8km today and it was OK which is good. Physio wants me to run 12 tomorrow.

who wrote your program as I am looking around for something for ironman cairns at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Prince said:

who wrote your program as I am looking around for something for ironman cairns at the moment.

I'll PM you. 

18 minutes ago, Prince said:

Contact MKC for programs. 

Bloody awesome coach and program 

Definitely substitute some pool running and treadmill. Use your safest shoes.  I had something similar 5 weeks from NZ and reinvigorated 2.5 weeks out. It was soleus or higher up on achilles so daily heel droos and stretching. Over training and my shoes were toast not providing the touch of stability needed. I ran with no pain at IMNZ, also no motivation after flat tyres but still shuffled around in a respectable time. In fact it was faster than my vomitfesses at Busso and Cairns.

57 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

Definitely substitute some pool running and treadmill. Use your safest shoes.  

This, and don't let it get to your head. Assuming you have been sticking to the program you are fit. You can still run. That's the important thing. The sheer volume of Ironman training leads to many an injury leading into the race in that final build.

Just keep the fitness up for the next couple weeks, and substitute water running and cycling and swimming for runs and do the running you can without jeopardizing the only run that matters, race day. 

3 hours ago, Stikman said:

A little bit underdone?  That's cute.

Lol. That was my thinking as well.

I reckon you need a fascia release. Bowen massage. It may leave you feeling a bit discombobulated for 3-4 days but like a million bucks after that. 

• Like 1

On 20/11/2019 at 1:22 PM, zed said:

Sunday 3 Nov - 2 x 21km 

Like the others... 2x21 WTF? What's the point?

Anyhow - you need someone to get their elbow into your calf. It is exactly what happens to me. Can hop, stretch etc etc...it's likely in there pretty deep, just a knot that won't release. 

9 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Like the others... 2x21 WTF? What's the point?

Anyhow - you need someone to get their elbow into your calf. It is exactly what happens to me. Can hop, stretch etc etc...it's likely in there pretty deep, just a knot that won't release. 

Yeah I know, pretty much everyone I've spoken to has found it odd, too late anyway...

That's what it sounds like. It should be OK. 

On 20/11/2019 at 1:22 PM, zed said:

Sunday 3 Nov - 2 x 21km 

Try doing an Ironman on 1 x 10km per week. That’s me the last 4-5 years. It’s hard and it hurts but it’s doable with a bit of walking. 
Ps: have been in the same DS Trainers for Over 2 years now. 
This year..... starting Monday I have high hopes of a decent ruining season. 

25 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Try doing an Ironman on 1 x 10km per week. That’s me the last 4-5 years. It’s hard and it hurts but it’s doable with a bit of walking. 
Ps: have been in the same DS Trainers for Over 2 years now. 
This year..... starting Monday I have high hopes of a decent ruining season. 

And you still went better than me. :wheelchair:

"Ruin away".

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

And you still went better than me. :wheelchair:

"Ruin away".

Only cause of the swim and bike.

16 hours ago, zed said:

Yeah I know, pretty much everyone I've spoken to has found it odd, too late anyway...

That's what it sounds like. It should be OK. 

I would definitely go to see a massage therapist that does deep tissue. It will come back to haunt you on race day, because it will feel like it's gone...but it won't be. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

I would definitely go to see a massage therapist that does deep tissue. It will come back to haunt you on race day, because it will feel like it's gone...but it won't be. 

OK good idea mate. Thanks.