Sign in to follow this  
dazaau

Show us your old refurbished bikes (excuse to show mine)

So I recently decided it was time to spend some money on the bike (excuse was a crash - see other thread). I looked at getting a newer bike but I have grown to love my 2003 Trek 5500 , strangely with campy record, and it was my first road bike some 10 years ago. I also didn't like all the chunky carbon frames on offer these days (who needs stiff when you can noodle your way up the hill). So I decided to replace most of the components on the bikes and get the frame painted. I very much love my bike and enjoyed designing its paint job!

I took some pictures attached below. Kept original wheels, brakes, frame, headset, handlebars and the (not so old) saddle. Fitted new  11 speed campagnolo Chorus with Athena carbon crank. I've since gone back to 100mm stem as the short stem proved too short! 

Anyone else wish to share their special bike?PDAZ3055-Edit.thumb.jpg.92efd4f975fef299fb0076ae3505bc23.jpg

PDAZ3085.thumb.jpg.a4dce4daf4262cd4620ea7c16ad76391.jpg

PDAZ3081.thumb.jpg.5e64c9a08c0de499121abedc7c01fd1b.jpg

PDAZ3066.thumb.jpg.db9bd282f8017d98ed217d8b06e4e569.jpg

PDAZ3077.thumb.jpg.8fd978dce302964cf03807ad16ceaddb.jpg

PDAZ3063.thumb.jpg.5cfc0c0cdf3ed3323f581765b3e9acf9.jpg

• Like 7

A couple of years ago I built up a 2000 year CAAD4.

Story behind the build here: https://medium.com/@dbmurray/caad4-love-restoring-a-vintage-cannondale-53d83332ae06

Unforunately I'm now selling the frame - I too it apart for parts for a newer frame intending to build it up again but it was not to be. Been gathering dust for a while now. Was a lovely retro roadie.

1_GY8so0GC_EEPpc18iP4xdw.jpeg

1_vIS2OpKRK9fV-V7QKZfFNQ.jpeg

• Like 1

Noice Daz!  My Caad4 is still my working roadie.  Sentimental reasons I won't replace it.  Though I'd love to put ETAP on it one day: we can dream.  I love that it still has a Bianchi quill stem and it's stars and stripes scheme!

IMG_20170204_083640.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Looks like Chorus to me

old record replaced with Chorus, cause value for money (and  chorus of today is equal to record of 10 years ago)! Unless of course you are referring to my choosing campy at all, in which case, italian character FTW! 

4 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

A couple of years ago I built up a 2000 year CAAD4.

Story behind the build here: https://medium.com/@dbmurray/caad4-love-restoring-a-vintage-cannondale-53d83332ae06

Unforunately I'm now selling the frame - I too it apart for parts for a newer frame intending to build it up again but it was not to be. Been gathering dust for a while now. Was a lovely retro roadie.

1_GY8so0GC_EEPpc18iP4xdw.jpeg

4 hours ago, goughy said:

Noice Daz!  My Caad4 is still my working roadie.  Sentimental reasons I won't replace it.  Though I'd love to put ETAP on it one day: we can dream.  I love that it still has a Bianchi quill stem and it's stars and stripes scheme!

IMG_20170204_083640.jpg

1_vIS2OpKRK9fV-V7QKZfFNQ.jpeg

Very nice, the frames both look in really great condition - mine was really disgusting!  @goughy, the stars and stripes look mint, very true to the era! 👍🏻

Sad one of them is retiring :( Hopefully someone snaps it up and gets it back in action!

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1

I also have

1981 Royal Star, Campag Gran Sport group, Fiamme wheels

1970's Pep Magni, Galli Criterium group, Arc-en-Ciel wheels

1987 Sekai, Japanese components (Suntour, Araya, DiaCompe, Nitto, SR, Kashimax)

1980s Lennie Rogers, Zeus group, Fiamme wheels

1989 Laurie Rogers, Suntour Superbe pro group, Wolber wheels

1975 Jim Bundy, Shimano Dura-Ace Gen 1 group, ? wheels

1988 Peter Bundy, Shimano 600 Tri-Colour group, Vuelta wheels

1970 Blom, Shimano 600EX group, Mavic MA40 wheels

1980s Viner track bike, Campag group, Campag Omega wheels

there are others .... getting a bit out of control I know

Edited by Derny Driver
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Genuine Dave Scott signature Ironman Centurion. I have tube socks to match.

1594406229_2019-11-2613_04_16.thumb.jpg.47288182b982b4361afd83d16a12e2ed.jpg

• Like 2

So who does the paint job?  Last time I asked about painting my old Canonfail TT bike they said it could be nearly a grand. 

Then someone else suggested trying a place that paints cars but I haven't researched that yet.

15 minutes ago, A2K said:

So who does the paint job?  Last time I asked about painting my old Canonfail TT bike they said it could be nearly a grand. 

Then someone else suggested trying a place that paints cars but I haven't researched that yet.

Star Enamellers Bankstown

Geoff Scott Camden

Looking at around $250

Agree, back in 1998 Star Enamellers at Bankstown resprayed my 1991 Cannondale 3.0 Series Criterium frame, pretty sure it was Peter who did it. They were the Cannondale authorised place at the time if I recall correctly. They also had a lot of very nice old cars there in various stages of paint work. I've got the receipt, was $180 then which included all the stickers and two custom stickers (my name).

I'll have to dig this thread out in 5 years time when I retire and my Cannondale gets the works again. Its currently my TT bike but will revert to a roadie then. It will be a frame respray in original colours but have modern running gear, full Dura-Ace 11/12 or CVT, whatever is around then plus ZIPP wheels, 3T gear etc.

2 hours ago, Derny Driver said:

Geoff Scott Camden

Looking at around $250

Thanks...except I'm in Brisbane 😋 So if I google enamellers in Brisbane I'll be on the right track?

17 minutes ago, A2K said:

Thanks...except I'm in Brisbane 😋 So if I google enamellers in Brisbane I'll be on the right track?

In Brisbane ...... "Paint my Bike" www.paintmybike.com.au

or

Joe Cosgrove. He's on facebook or contact him at cycledesign.com.au

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Derny Driver said:

Geoff Scott Camden

Looking at around $250

That is very very cheap!

22 hours ago, Derny Driver said:

1975 Flandria, Galli Criterium group, Galli wheels

flandrr.jpg

You have quite an amazing collection! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1