Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jeza

Best Orthopaedic Knee Surgeon

Recommended Posts

Best orthopedic surgeon for ACL reconstruction and medial meniscus root tear around the Newcastle or Sydney area?

Cheers

Edited by Jeza
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used Bruce Caldwell, use to operate out of Toronto private but I think he is now at the Lingard in Merewether for a full ACL reconstruction. Surgery went well but he did tell me not to run again. That was 5 years ago, I've been doing triathlons for 3 years now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jeza said:

Best orthopedic surgeon for ACL reconstruction and medial meniscus root tear around the Newcastle or Sydney area?

Cheers

I used two different surgeons in Qld for successful ACL grafts and meniscus repair / trim.

Getting IM Asia Pacific to accommodate an entry transfer required as a result of the injury is a different matter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeza said:

Best orthopedic surgeon for ACL reconstruction and medial meniscus root tear around the Newcastle or Sydney area?

Cheers

I'm not sure what your sport is, but if it's triathlon (or something else with no pivoting/twisting/cutting), have a read up on some of the research surrounding treating ACL injuries without surgery.  There is a lot to be said for considering it.

I'm mid 30s and if I did my ACL tomorrow I wouldn't have a reco unless I was having giving way episodes with day to day activity after 3-6 mths of rehab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an ACL reconstruction in 2001 (age 37) with Peter Berton at Kotara (https://www.newcastlekneeclinic.com.au/). I tore the ACL in 1987 playing rugby. Doing IM's from 92 onwards didn't cause me any problems but with just work around the house, twisting knee etc was starting to cause some issues so went the reconstruction more as a preventative measure for later years and reduce wear and tear on meniscus. The MRI prior to surgery showed a bucket handle tear and he was going to tidy that up but I said no on the basis that it wasn't causing me any clicking or locking and thought best to leave as much meniscus in there as possible. He used the hamstring tendon which was taking over from the patella tendon method around that time. I've had no dramas since, several IM's and countless training miles since. Still all going well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had both knees done by Geoff Workman.  His surgery is Lingard St. Merewether near Lingard Hospital.  I ruptured a quadriceps tendon in one about 6 years ago and my ACL in the other 3 years ago.  Have not had an issue with either.  Back running, riding etc with no issues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2019 at 11:14 AM, Limited said:

Surgery went well but he did tell me not to run again. That was 5 years ago, I've been doing triathlons for 3 years now

What was his reasoning for that advice ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same as mine.  Said I'd be having a knee replacement in 5 years of I kept running.  Hence the only time I've actually run in the last 2.5 years is at the one tri I've done in that time.  Do you know how hard it is to run when you haven't done any in ages, especially when you were already shit prior?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Limited said:

He was of the opinion that running was the worst exercise with impact to the knees. 

I see. So that would be the case regardless of a reconstruction.

Had mine in the early 90's and apart from the graft stretching a bit not long after the op, my knee hasn't given me much trouble until about 4 weeks ago, a Bakers Cyst of all things..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And yet there is some research which supports running for OA, specifically marathon training.

It is an interesting read,

https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/5/1/e000586

Of particular note, under clinical significance:

The improvements seen in the BME of the subchondral bone of the medial compartment may suggest that marathon running and/or training could have a protective effect on the knee joints of sedentary asymptomatic individuals.26–28 Perhaps regular running prevents medial compartment overload due to muscle strengthening.29 30 Further investigations are needed involving longer follow-up but the implications of these findings are important because subchondral bone marrow defects are linked with the onset of osteoarthritis,31–33 and exercise is recommended for the treatment of osteoarthritis.

Our study helps to understand the optimal dose of exercise for human knee joints. Marathon training and running may be above the dose recommended for the patellofemoral joint: or recovery treatments should be targeted at this area of the knee. However, marathon seems to be a satisfactory dose of exercise for the medial and lateral tibio-femoral joints.

Before the marathon we found a number of asymptomatic meniscal tears—including bucket-handle tears. After the marathon, the tears did not develop further, supporting conservative/non-surgical management of meniscal injuries in general, if asymptomatic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2019 at 11:39 PM, goughy said:

Same as mine.  Said I'd be having a knee replacement in 5 years of I kept running.  Hence the only time I've actually run in the last 2.5 years is at the one tri I've done in that time.  Do you know how hard it is to run when you haven't done any in ages, especially when you were already shit prior?

I know only too well! I did the Sydney half marathon a couple of years ago after not running for a long long time... it wasn't pretty towards the end 🤣

19 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

And yet there is some research which supports running for OA, specifically marathon training.

It is an interesting read,

https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/5/1/e000586

Of particular note, under clinical significance:

The improvements seen in the BME of the subchondral bone of the medial compartment may suggest that marathon running and/or training could have a protective effect on the knee joints of sedentary asymptomatic individuals.26–28 Perhaps regular running prevents medial compartment overload due to muscle strengthening.29 30 Further investigations are needed involving longer follow-up but the implications of these findings are important because subchondral bone marrow defects are linked with the onset of osteoarthritis,31–33 and exercise is recommended for the treatment of osteoarthritis.

Our study helps to understand the optimal dose of exercise for human knee joints. Marathon training and running may be above the dose recommended for the patellofemoral joint: or recovery treatments should be targeted at this area of the knee. However, marathon seems to be a satisfactory dose of exercise for the medial and lateral tibio-femoral joints.

Before the marathon we found a number of asymptomatic meniscal tears—including bucket-handle tears. After the marathon, the tears did not develop further, supporting conservative/non-surgical management of meniscal injuries in general, if asymptomatic.

The improvements are not universal across the knee joint and BME (bone marrow edema) improvement while promising is a symptom that can have a few causes... I think the interpretation here is load is good to strengthen bone but given that patellofemoral deterioration as a trend was observed, I think is something of a concern. I am not a health professional of any kind but I'd be worried about improving one problem only to create another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/12/2019 at 9:00 PM, nuked said:

https://www.leopinczewski.com.au/

Lucky the conversation wasn't closed ..... I can't vouch for Dr Dave but Leo is the bomb :thumbsup:

He assisted Merv Cross with my Reco in 86. I did all my follow up with him at North Sydney. So he's being doing it for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burton cleaned me up. Took pain away during sport and gave it to me after.

Told me I should slow down.

Red flag to a bull that was.

20 years and a drinking legal age of IM’s later, I sort of disagree.

So not knocking his knife skills more his bedside manner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...