Sign in to follow this  
trifun

Active Network - my most loathed it organisation

i think the title just about sums it up, for an organisation that profits hugely from our sport their customer service sucks,

opps, we as athletes are nit their customs, merely an input to their profit. Race organisers are their customers.

Perhaps we, as the customers of the race organisers should let them know we are sick of being ripped off and that there are viable alternatives to the active platform out there.

Edited by trifun
comma

What are the other options out there? We use a proprietary system for club races that works well, what does everyone else use?

NSF

We've moved to Race Result as part of the new timing system - but payment for race entries was not easy. Took a while to get the PayPal account set up as we were considered an "eBay non performer" (well we have no reason to be on eBay). PayPal is the only option for those not using CHF, EUR or USD.

Now our account is completely verified it seems to be working ok. I'll have to go do the maths, but PayPal still charge a percentage of sales, maybe not as much.

Setup wise it is about the same few more places where I needed to do a little more on the first race (and I expect this at the start of each season now), there were some issues with calculating age groups for race distances as it is a bit more manual than active (I had to calculate the maximum and minimum birth dates myself). Active also allowed mass mail outs to prospective entrants, where Race Result only allows a small amount of emails.

I used to use " Register Now"  - for race entry (data collection and payment) - they forwarded cash to our account once a week, and we had instant access to all data (except entrants' full credit crd #) at any time.

Edited by trifun

Any events that I'm likely to do next year (if any) I'll probably just pay cash at the registration table on the way in...  like we used to do in the good old days!

I've got nothing against club run events, but I like supporting the small community events, they are usually much better value and way more fun than the big events.  Plus the money normally goes towards a local school or charity.

Assuming I'm up to it, my goal for next year might be to see how many events I can do where the entry price is cheaper than just the 'service fee' for some of your bigger races...  How much is the 'active fee' for an Ironman again?

• Like 1

I entered the Bondi to Bronte Swim with a friend. No service fee added on but seriously....$50 to swim 2.4k. No wonder I rarely do anymore than just Nepean and Port each year.

3 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I entered the Bondi to Bronte Swim with a friend. No service fee added on but seriously....$50 to swim 2.4k. No wonder I rarely do anymore than just Nepean and Port each year.

I used to configure RegisterNow so that the (reasonable for the effort they saved me) fee was deducted from the amount the athlete paid not added to it. It is a simple thing to do - especially of you do not accept race-day entries (ie cash on the day). That way there are only two prices to advertise (licensed/day license)  and that's it.

I went to enter IMNZ on my ipad and it wouldn't let me as had to be a PC. Great customer experience

Ipad been around for how many years? and not a minor player. I don't have a PC/laptop at home any longer.

11 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

I went to enter IMNZ on my ipad and it wouldn't let me as had to be a PC. Great customer experience

Ipad been around for how many years? and not a minor player. I don't have a PC/laptop at home any longer.

I've enter Port on Ipad before....am positive. I am happy to be proven incorrect.... But yes... poor experience.

4 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I've enter Port on Ipad before....am positive. I am happy to be proven incorrect.... But yes... poor experience.

You are right. Tried again and it took my money. IMNZ here I come 

On 22/11/2019 at 12:21 PM, trifun said:

I used to configure RegisterNow so that the (reasonable for the effort they saved me) fee was deducted from the amount the athlete paid not added to it. It is a simple thing to do - especially of you do not accept race-day entries (ie cash on the day). That way there are only two prices to advertise (licensed/day license)  and that's it.

^^ This

I use register now for our running festival. We had over a thousand entrants this year so you need some kind of system that is not manual otherwise you would never cope.

As pointed out by Trifun you can configure to have the fee taken from the amount paid to you which is the option we put in place also, so no additional fees for our athletes.

• Thanks 1