trinube

A Little Observation

Just a little observation on the current state of affairs.

Middle of the tri season and the vast number of new threads have nothing to do with triathlon.

A new user to the site asks a question about their first triathlon and gets 89 views and 5 replies whereas willie's "turning a few things off" gets 8,600 views and 200 replies.

And people wonder where it's going wrong and why we struggle to get new users...

• Like 3

to be honest, I thought it was an advertisement for Kurnell which is why I skipped it.  However, I have gone and given my $25 worth 😀 The advice actually given was pretty comprehensive which is why there may not have been a lot more responses.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, trinube said:

Middle of the tri season and the vast number of new threads have nothing to do with triathlon.

A new user to the site asks a question about their first triathlon and gets 89 views and 5 replies whereas willie's "turning a few things off" gets 8,600 views and 200 replies.

And people wonder where it's going wrong and why we struggle to get new users...

Seems that I have some catching up to do. 😔

1 hour ago, trinube said:

But the question is, why is it our job to recruit new users? 

We don’t own the site? 

Edited by Peter

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

We don’t own the site? 

I think the point is that without new users and new content that this place will become more and more inward facing until it cannot support itself any longer. That is a problem for new users who miss out on the collective wisdom of Trannies (no need to try and quantify that:lol:) and those who are already here.

However, at this point it is becoming increasingly infatuated with its own problems to no help of anyone and the determent of all. Have a thread to sort it out in the sandbox if necessary but the rest of the forum should get on with discussing things not relating to the forum itself and the internal issues of a few members, the forum is here to facilitate triathlon related discussion, not to discuss the forum! 

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Peter said:

We don’t own the site? 

What Mr Shortz said. It's not our job to recruit per se, but when someone new comes along it's nice to make them feel welcome.

• Like 3

I'm a very casual user of the forum over that last few years. Have had some great feedback from users on things like purchasing my new TT bike and other things and other things which have been super appreciated. I also really love the race report section which doesn't get enough attention from others I feel!

Still, some of the threads I see on the forum are completely baffling to me. Literally have no idea what people are talking about some times - particularly in the last week or so. As far as I can work out, someone got angry that someone (who may or may not be going through some mental health issues) who didn't update the forum on their running progression? I couldn't really follow it all beyond that. 

I can only imagine how a new user or potential user might feel browsing the forum topics. Perhaps some moderation might be needed?

Edited by dazmuzza

23 minutes ago, Prince said:

maybe more action needed by the moderators or more moderators. 

Well maybe AP with 27 accounts is one who causes people to be skepticial. 

and others. 

2 hours ago, trinube said:

Yup you're dead right. Too many random, toxic threads. We're going to end up in a situation where people are too scared to post, lest they be ridiculed. A lot of general negativity e.g triathletes that are supposedly passionate about the sport, constantly decrying the demise of the sport, because their local enticer had 20 people less than in 2012..... more positivity fückers!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Prince said:

maybe more action needed by the moderators or more moderators. 

Yup. Not just for limiting/removing abuse, but also quality control. 

2 minutes ago, zed said:

Yup you're dead right. Too many random, toxic threads. We're going to end up in a situation where people are too scared to post, lest they be ridiculed. A lot of general negativity e.g triathletes that are supposedly passionate about the sport, constantly decrying the demise of the sport, because their local enticer had 20 people less than in 2012..... more positivity fückers!

You spend most of your time on slowtwitch anyway you 2 timing bastard... 

• Haha 3

There’s a lot more sense being made on Slowtwitch right now.

Let that sink in.

there seem to be a dozen people more interested in fighting amongst themselves right now. If that’s the case, create a Facebook group. Western Sydney is this week and it’s got 2 pages of chat. 

compare that to what’s going on around ownership and refunds - there are some serious direction issues.

Edited by The new guy

4 minutes ago, pieman said:

You spend most of your time on slowtwitch anyway you 2 timing bastard... 

What's Slowtwitch? 

Edited by zed
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, zed said:

yes,  it wouldn't be easy and you don't want a "God" like moderator. I am not critical of the current moderators but maybe we need about 5 rules that everyone should adhere to. 

50 minutes ago, zed said:

What's Slowtwitch? 

It is the place where this place to goes to have an actual discussion about triathlon. This place is pure entertainment

36 minutes ago, Prince said:

yes,  it wouldn't be easy and you don't want a "God" like moderator. I am not critical of the current moderators but maybe we need about 5 rules that everyone should adhere to. 

The 5 Pillars of Transitions 

GO 

1. Respect for the individual 

Discuss

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zed said:

Maybe move about 8 threads on this to sandbox now 

• Like 1

I'd agree with a lot of what's on here... I don't know any of the people or any of the issues or history... I've managed to tune it out, and try to post and ask genuine questions / provide genuine answers when and where relevant...

I get that there's some banter and friendly chit-chat, all well and good - but the Q&A style useful stuff (that I come here for) has been getting a bit lost, and of late the banter has been less friendly!

I'd agree that if people want to keep that going, have at it, but that this sandbox place is better for it (I've been here for 3 or 4 years and never knew it existed!!!) so I'd say let the main trichat threads do what they say on the tin!

Ps... I'd say that the mental health thread is a great example of the power for good that this site / community can be... we're a good bunch!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jim Shortz said:

The 5 Pillars of Transitions 

1. Respect for the individual 

Sad to report that this has gone the same way as "Common Sense" and "Accepting the Consequences of your own Actions" 😟

AJ

• Like 1

On 18/11/2019 at 5:46 PM, Prince said:

We should only need one:

Don't be a dick

But that would mean we'd already lose maybe a third of our member base ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1