sharmanat0r

Kurnell Sprint 24Nov - beginner friendly

Hey all :)

First time poster, first Sprint at Kurnell on the 24th!

I signed up for this Sprint 12 weeks ago and have started swimming, cycling, running.  Im from the UK so didnt really do much swimming and now I can just about finish 750m in the pool with a break at each 50m 😕  started swimming at Balmoral between the cones, and can safely get around 600, floating on my back just to catch my breath.

6 days out im starting to get a little nervous and just wanted to ask:

- can I mention to the safety staff that its my first time in a race environment just in case something happens?

- is the event beginner friendly, aka, ive watched enough videos to see how people transition but Im probably going to be taking it super easy just to get familar with it all, and wont be going too hard

- wetsuits will be allowed If the water is under 22? will most people be wearing a wetsuit?

- is there a watching area for friends?

- do they provide swim caps or should I bring my own, I read somewhere that events give you ones?

- there is 1 hour for Registrations, should I definately be there for the start of that, or is it worth turning up half way?

- any ideas or tips about parking?  I bought a parking tcket with my entry and it just says in the National Park so I guess im just not sure if its gonna be hectic or close to the event

Thanks very much :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sharmanat0r said:

I signed up for this Sprint 12 weeks ago and have started swimming, cycling, running.  Im from the UK so didnt really do much swimming and now I can just about finish 750m in the pool with a break at each 50m 😕  started swimming at Balmoral between the cones, and can safely get around 600, floating on my back just to catch my breath.

6 days out im starting to get a little nervous and just wanted to ask:

- can I mention to the safety staff that its my first time in a race environment just in case something happens? Probably, but Just follow the rest of the field, stay calm and have lots of self believe. It's 750M. You'll be amazed what you can do on the day!

- is the event beginner friendly, aka, ive watched enough videos to see how people transition but Im probably going to be taking it super easy just to get familar with it all, and wont be going too hard. Stay calm, relax and keep that self belief going. Put those running shoes on and bring it home like a champion.....(whether you are first or last). Triathlon folks are very support and inclusive.

- wetsuits will be allowed If the water is under 22? will most people be wearing a wetsuit? Yes and Yes. Ocean was about 19 last week

- is there a watching area for friends? Yes and they can move around.

- do they provide swim caps or should I bring my own, I read somewhere that events give you ones? Yes, but take one anyway.

- there is 1 hour for Registrations, should I definately be there for the start of that, or is it worth turning up half way? If you a newbie.... go early, It will allow you to stay calm and relax and ask questions of others as to best way to do things...talk to people!!!

- any ideas or tips about parking?  I bought a parking tcket with my entry and it just says in the National Park so I guess im just not sure if its gonna be hectic or close to the event. I suspect you will be guide as to where to park as you drive in!

It's been a long time since I have done  Kurnell race but here are my few and not to be adhered to thoughts. See above in BOLD.

Enjoy..... and don't stress!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't done Kurnell for years, so I'm not really in a position to offer advice specific to the race.

• Water safety personnel are pretty attuned at looking out for swimmers (especially if their from a SLSC), especially in the shorter events which attract newbies or race series like Kurnell where they have performed the duties on numerous times. I'm sure you'll be well monitored, though if it gives you some assurance and more confidence, there's no harm to say hi to them.
  • Kurnell has been attracting newbies for decades, with thousands undertaking their rite of passage to becoming a triathlete. The race and the distance is designed to attract newbies, (as well as the fast and the
  • Kurnell is a nice art of the world, and not a bad place if you're going to hang around and watch a tri. Your friends and family will be able to see where you've racked your bike and support (or heckle) you after cheering you out of the water. It's summer in Aust and They'll likely to be standing/strolling around a bit, so it's worth spectators having some water and the general slip, slop, slap applies.

Welcome to Oz, the sport and Trannies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great tips from IFoz.

Don't be surprised if you swim the 750 metres straight through or with few breaks. We often achieve more than we expect when surrounded by others with the atmosphere of an event.

Relax and have loads of fun. Starting out is one of the most rewarding times in the sport. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, sharmanat0r said:

You'll be fine.

It sounds like you're most concerned about the swim. If so, start at the rear of your wave - you'll get much smoother water than if you mix it with the crowd.

Don't go too hard at the start. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and go way too hard in the first hundred metres and blow yourself up. If you're not worried about race position, make a conscious effort to take it easy for the first hundred and let yourself build into the swim. Adrenaline will get you home.

Transition is about having your stuff laid out and make sure you don't forget something (shoes, helmet, cap etc). Don't worry about socks. Have a towel on the ground and lay out your stuff.

Most people will wear a wetsuit if it's a wetsuit swim. Do you have a wetsuit??

Parking can be an issue if you arrive late, but it might not be as full as previous years.

Getting there early means you can take your time. Also allows plenty of time to queue for the portaloo - you will probably need to :lol:

Keep an eye out for anyone wearing a tranny hat (white cap, Tranny logo on front and username on the back). Say g'day and they'll help settle your nerves.

Above all have fun, it's just a bit of a laugh on a Sunday morning.

Edited by trinube
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the mad house ! Like all good families we have a big heart & love helping newbies. You'll have a great time, you're guaranteed to get yourself a  PB & we look forward to reading all about it when you post your race report 😊

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

everything seems pretty much covered, but I will stress one thing.  There is no rule which says you have to swim freestyle the whole way.  if it's a bit much just breatstroke or dog paddle for a bit till you settle, the continue.  About the socks, unless you have trained without socks then I'd take the time to put them on.  Nothing more irritating than getting a blister.  Also in transition, do not hesitate to ask questions.  If you're unlucky you'll get someone like me who will talk your ear off with tips etc. 🤣🤣

Enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Try not to be overawed (although that's easy to say).

* Get there early so you can set up and have time to take a breath physically and mentally.

* Set up your bike/running gear etc in an easy place to find. Eg., at the end of a lane, next to a connection in the rack etc. Even take something colourful so you can see it easy

* Get to the toilets early. They fill up fast (with people, not #1s & #2s). I go at least 3 times.

* Walk through transition from the swim entrance to your bike, from the bike entrance to your bike. Also both exits. That way, you will not get lost. You'll be amazed how different things look like when everyone, including you, are trying to get in and out fast.

* Take your time and be confident within yourself. The first race is always nerve wracking but so enjoyable to finish. I still remember my 1st race (1989) and my first Kurnell (1991). It is special no matter how you finish.

* And above all, smile and enjoy the show.

FM

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey everyone :) ,

thank you so much, everyone!! for all the tips and just getting back so quickly, this is an awesome group, amazing support!!!

I'm super excited now after reading all of these, honestly wasn't sure id get a reply at all 😂

It is definitely the swim i'm more worried about, have been freaking about sharks and jellys at Balmoral even though i know the chances!

I grabbed a DHB wetsuit offa Wiggles last week , its super tight but I think thats normal so ill just have to suck it in!!

Will keep an eye out for a Tranny cap, im guessing that's made for forum members?

Love the doggy paddle tip if I have to, I may have to do that just to catch my breath!

I was under the impression that you got allocated a position in transition so if not, ill get there early and try and throw everything in a super obvious place!

Thanks again all, will definitely post the after results, will be happy just seeing my name there hopefully not with DNF next to it lol!

To Sunday :)

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, sharmanat0r said:

Will keep an eye out for a Tranny cap, im guessing that's made for forum members?

So good to see the excitement of a first timer, enjoy it and ride the bug all the way.

Tranny caps are organised on an irregular basis, keep an eye out and join in and before you know it you will see someone putting their hands up to organise them (Thanks Rocket Salad).  It's been a little while since the last run was done, but a few things with the site are being sorted out so might be a little while longer to go.  In the meantime keep an eye out for them at the events and introduce yourself, some people have their forum name on the rear of the hat to make it easier

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depending on how I’m travelling I may try and get there for a look. 
it’s a bit too far to walk at the moment and surgeon doesn’t want me risking falling off a bike for a few more months. 
If I do get there Sharmanator I’ll be sure to wear my cap (and may even have a spare cap or visor with me if you are lucky) so there is an incentive to say hi for you. 

Good luck have fun and soak up the atmosphere and achievement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Take your time, enjoy it all and soak it up! As a fellow pom, I couldn't swim 50m when I decided I wanted to do a triathlon - I so I entered an Ironman!!! 

Swim nerves and open water can be a challenge, but as people have said, position yourself well - to the back or side if needs be so you don't get bashed! Watch to see if earlier waves are getting moved by the current at all - usually someone will comment on that.

The kurnell swim water is usually quite calm and clear so can be enjoyable. A few other tips from a fellow dodgy swimmer:

- Get there nice and early

- Check you know the swim course, check again!

- Jump in the water and get wet before your wave starts, swim a few strokes to get used to the wettie and water temp

- Ask questions if unsure, most of us triathletes are a pretty friendly bunch!

- If you have experienced friends or training buddies, get help getting your wetsuit on 'right' - it'll help make sure you can swim comfortably without arm-ache (often find you need to pull it up as far as you can, and then a bit more!)

- Think positive thoughts throughout - you've done the training, it's fun, it's a first one - a real achievement, it beats sitting on the couch!

- Finally, don't worry too much about the 'right' way to do transitions for now - do what works for you! Wear socks if you need them (30 seconds putting them on will be better than 5km of blisters), get on and off your bike safely and however you're comfy! Just make sure you double check you know which row you're in and where your stuff is!

Welcome, enjoy and let us know how you go!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sharmanat0r said:

Love the doggy paddle tip if I have to, I may have to do that just to catch my breath!

Whatever you do not do breaststroke. Nothing worse than the person in front of you changing stroke  and kicking you in the face. Especially around the buoys.

• Thanks 1

A Sprint Distance Triathlon at Kurnell (The 1994 Richie Walker Memorial Triathlon) was my first ever event, and just like yourself I had the same doubts and concerns...  25 years later I'm still getting out loving the sport!

The advice the others have posted above is spot on, particularly the bit about just relaxing and enjoying it.  Good luck! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to suggest that you also take notes for a super detailed, far too long race report! please and thank you :)

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

everything seems pretty much covered, but I will stress one thing.  There is no rule which says you have to swim freestyle the whole way.  if it's a bit much just breatstroke or dog paddle for a bit till you settle, the continue.  About the socks, unless you have trained without socks then I'd take the time to put them on.  Nothing more irritating than getting a blister.  Also in transition, do not hesitate to ask questions.  If you're unlucky you'll get someone like me who will talk your ear off with tips etc. 🤣🤣

Enjoy!

This

I had a 4km swim down at Jervis Bay for the LCW race last weekend. You would be surprised at the amount of breaststrokers at the start, while people are getting comfortable.  It happens.

13 hours ago, flathead said:

Whatever you do not do breaststroke. Nothing worse than the person in front of you changing stroke  and kicking you in the face. Especially around the buoys.

Feel free to stop and swap if you need to, just try not to do it when there are people behind you...

• Thanks 1

On 18/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, sharmanat0r said:

Thanks again all, will definitely post the after results, will be happy just seeing my name there hopefully not with DNF next to it lol!

So how did it go???

just thought id share my 1st time experience!!!

https://www.multisportaustralia.com.au/races/Syd-Sprint-Series-Dec-2019/events/1/results/individuals/180

All in all a pretty amazing day...makes me wonder why I havnt been getting up this early to get out there lol.

Everyone was super friendly, the organisers, volunteers, the set up  whole thing was awesome!  

Got through the swim in 20minutes which was crazy as I didnt have to float on my back or dogy paddle at all, although im sure my same side breathing stroke was not great lol.  I waited 10 seconds afte my group started, but didnt sight for a few minutes and i went way off course and had to move back in, so lesson learned...learn how to sight!   o and then overshot the finsih and had to kindof swim back in a little.

The run up to transition was longer than I thought and ended up spending over 5 minutes catching my breathe, getting the wetsuit off which was disastrous, and then getting some socks on lol.  The cycle, which I was most confident in ended up being the worst of the 3 at 50 minutes , some serious machines out there zooming past though and a few unlucky few with punctures :(  and a super runny nose after the swim, and I had no tissues so that totally threw me 😕  also, need to practise some damn hills cause i had no speed going up!

But then the run, really should have done some brick training (facepalm) - first 500m felt good then i just got niggling pains in my knees and ankles and went pretty slow taking 32mins.

All in all 1hr 50m, last in my age group (35-39) but not by too much so I reckon, next one is in 7 weeks so...signing up tonight :)

I didnt see anyone with the white cap  trinube, but there ended being a TONNE of people lol.  Were you there and how did you do @trinube?

Thanks so much for all the tips and questions again you have no idea what a help it was to remove some of the fear and doubt heading in! and I totally get the bug now and just wanna do better at all 3 disciplines :)

Saw that there were a lot of clubs there but they all looked super fit so mayve not yet :)

Does anyone know what YNF means next to some peoples results?

Thanks again all - hopefully get to meet some of you at the next one!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sharmanat0r said:

just thought id share my 1st time experience!!!
All in all a pretty amazing day...makes me wonder why I havnt been getting up this early to get out there lol.
Everyone was super friendly, the organisers, volunteers, the set up  whole thing was awesome!

Great stuff, nice to hear you had a good time. Times and positions don't matter, just do it for fun.

I'd like to have gone but was asleep after a late night at U2...

And congrats on getting through the first one! :)

• Thanks 1

Well done! Thanks for coming back & telling us how much of a blast you had, we kinda knew you would ☺

Enjoy your summer of triathlon, have fun & dont get serious about buying expensive stuff or doing massive training sessions. Have fun, keep the pressure off & ask the crew here if you really need to buy stuff. Mostly you dont but be warned .. the answer to many of life's questions is "buy a new bike" 😉😁😁😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I didn’t race or volunteer but did help out in my own special way. 

went and picked this up this morning before work 

660F0CB5-C4A4-468D-A396-B56046EF1A81.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, roxii said:

I didn’t race or volunteer but did help out in my own special way. 

went and picked this up this morning before work 

660F0CB5-C4A4-468D-A396-B56046EF1A81.jpeg

New feature for the lounge room?

• Haha 1

On 25/11/2019 at 7:53 PM, sharmanat0r said:

just thought id share my 1st time experience!!!...

Sounds a lot like my first one...

Well done, glad you enjoyed it!

Well done on completing your first. There are always lessons to be learnt, whether #1 or #251. Apply what went well, learn from mistakes/experiences and enjoy the journey. 
FM

I think there is one very important question left unanswered in this thread.

What ever happened to the Kurnell World Championships and who the hell has that shield that I made?

On 25/11/2019 at 7:53 PM, sharmanat0r said:

getting the wetsuit off which was disastrous

When I race in a wetsuit a tip I use is I spray on cooking oil below my knees and also on the outside of my wetsuit from my calves down. Then when you get out of the water, it will slip off (almost)

Having said that with evening 750 or under I just go without a wetsuit.  I'm just too lazy to put it on before a race and getting off.

Well done on your first race.  Check out the Penrith Tri club events too.  really safe and a nice crew of people there too.

And don't get silly ideas of an ironman for a few more years. Enjoy the shorter races.

• Like 2