Sign in to follow this  
Naut

Giro Della Donna 2019

So it's that time of year again and this is one of my favourite events. I missed it last year and I broke my radial head 3 weeks ago so I am doubtful this year.

Anyone else doing it?

im heading up there for a spin thru the hills.  hopefully i can have a dry ride, yet to experience that as yet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Naut said:

So it's that time of year again and this is one of my favourite events. I missed it last year and I broke my radial head 3 weeks ago so I am doubtful this year.

Anyone else doing it?

Oh no, that sucks!

I'm in and I'm excited for it. Did it last year for the first time and had a blast, and am looking to improve on my position this year. Early signs are looking good as my fitness on the bike is ahead of what it was last year at this time, I think!

It's certainly a fun event and only timing the two mostly uphill sections with time in the middle for a donut and Coke suits me to an absolute tee 😂

Good selection of current and ex pros this year too (vos, sastre, O'Grady) , though hard to beat Bertie last year :) 

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1

I have experience dry and wet and dry is definitely more pleasant. Although i prefer the gravel in the wet as it weirdly feels safer.

Tempted to give it a go as it is still fun at cruise speed, but I am a bit concerned my elbow won't be ready to hang onto the bars by then.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Naut said:

I have experience dry and wet and dry is definitely more pleasant. Although i prefer the gravel in the wet as it weirdly feels safer.

I think it IS much safer. dry loose gravel scares the crap out of me going downhill.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Naut said:

Tempted to give it a go as it is still fun at cruise speed, but I am a bit concerned my elbow won't be ready to hang onto the bars by then.

I feel your concern is well founded :/ 

It's a course you can do anytime, so you could always just go for a ride one day if you don't live too far! 

• Like 1

Ive just googled it, can see why youre keen Naut but being sensible is your best option. As Dazaau said, you can ride there anytime if youre close enough

I wouldnt mind putting it on my calendar for next year. Do you ride both days? Gravel Saturday then roadie on Sunday?

BTW how did you damage your elbow?

Edited by Surfer
Question

Yeah, I will probably give it a miss. I have ridden to the top of Donna return from home so I can definitely ride it another day.

@surfer I haven't ridden the Sat but they did a cyclecross race one year and it looked fun. If I had a gravel bike I would be keen to do both days.

Did the damage riding home on a bike path, another path came in at 90 degrees which created a hump in the path. The hump was much steeper on the far side than I expected and i got airborne and landed badly. Lowest grade fracture with minimal displacement so no surgery but I still have a bit of healing ahead.

• Sad 2

I Registered in June, but am yet to get anything from them since - I've emailed them and hopefully they sort me out soon - it's near!

Looks like the weather is going to play nice this year too. Should be great

Yes, the weather looks perfect! Top of 21 and low of 8 while sunny :)

Edited by dazaau

Well, weather was amazing. But my day wasn't what I had hoped. Had the fitness to achieve my goals but three flats in the timed sections and that was the end of that. 

The gravel part was in terrible condition this year - nasty!

Did get a picture with Sastre and Voss though, so that counts for something.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Well, weather was amazing. But my day wasn't what I had hoped. Had the fitness to achieve my goals but three flats in the timed sections and that was the end of that. 

The gravel part was in terrible condition this year - nasty!

Did get a picture with Sastre and Voss though, so that counts for something.

I heard a similar story from the guys I know that rode it, lots and lots of flats on the gravel. 

Everyone said Voss was awesome.

• Like 1