markso1077

TT Bike Recommendations

Hi all,

I have been given the green light by the household treasurer (aka my wife) to purchase a TT bike prior to Geelong 70.3. I am currently on a medium Giant Propel Advanced 1 (2017). Budget is $4,500.

Have noticed a number of Giant dealers listing the 2019 Trinity Advanced Pro 1 & 2 for good prices ($2900 for the Pro 2 & $4500 for the Pro 1). The Pro 1 comes with DI2 and the Giant PowerPro (seen mixed reviews). 

Also in the mix is a 2017 Cervelo P2 with Ultegra DI2 (via Pushys) for around $3,200 delivered - no power meter but would consider getting some Favero's to switch between bikes.

The Canyon Speedmax 7.0 (with 105 $3,600 delivered) or the Speedmax 8.0 (with ultegra $4,548 delivered) have also caught my eye.

I have the 50mm carbon wheels on the Propel currently so getting a bike with race wheels isn't a priority.

Would love to get some feedback from the community on the pro's and con's of any of the bikes above. Any other suggestions would be also appreciated. 

Cheers.

You'll definitely get some comments against the Giant but in terms of bang for buck they are hard to beat. Maybe only the canyon comes close and in my opinion the giant are ugly but hey..

Have you had a bike fit to see if you'll fit on these bikes and which sizes? The canyon and p2 should be similar fit as ive been recommended both but not sure of the Giant.. 

I thought the p2 was a good deal but just be aware it has older di2 with external battery and doesn't have shifters on base bars so could be some additional costs to get that upgrade.  

I have heard a few stories about difficulties with canyon not being based here but have also heard some good things so that might be case specific

My recommendation would be to go to a good bike fitter and find out which brand/model/size would suit you best.

FYI I regularly swap my Assioma power pedals between my Giant road bike and Cervelo P2. I bought a set of Look pedals so if I am doing a one off ride on my road bike I do not have to swap pedals over.

• Like 1

I like the get a fit first option.  They then recommend frames that will allow you the best fit.  

I'd agree with folks on here about getting a bike fit first! I had my beady eye on lots of nice aero TT bikes, not remembering the fact that my back is crocked and I have terrible flexibility - ended up narrowing it down to a Shiv for best fit for my limited mobility / ability...

Then had a bike fit on said bike once I'd got it to make it work for me - I'm still not terribly aero in the grand scheme of things but comfortable and able to get power down well...

Happy hunting!

Giants are good bang for buck atm, Canyons are (by what i keep being told on the interwebz) a better bike, and still a good price.

nth reply of - go find a fitter and see what they suggest you should ride.

Personally, I am still a big fan of my Argon, I would love a BMC TM01, but - well, first is a new bike fit and see if I would even fit. (And the price doesn't hit either of our budgets)

3 minutes ago, Cape_Horn said:

Giants are good bang for buck atm, Canyons are (by what i keep being told on the interwebz) a better bike, and still a good price.

nth reply of - go find a fitter and see what they suggest you should ride.

Personally, I am still a big fan of my Argon, I would love a BMC TM01, but - well, first is a new bike fit and see if I would even fit. (And the price doesn't hit either of our budgets)

I am leaning towards an Argon frameset as they are bloody cheap and I have all the running gear off my old bike. Could spend any money saved on buying speed elsewhere I think and surely wouldnt be giving away too much speed..

The husband was about to buy the Trinity Advanced Pro 1 second hand as he found a good deal, but did a quick bike fit prior and was told it was not a good choice for him.  The front is fully integrated so you cannot lift up the front at all... 

• Thanks 1

Mate!

Are you in luck!

I just happen to have a near mint condition 2011 Cervelo P3 with mismatched wheels and a thousand spacers that I can let you have for just $4499.

You pay postage though.

9 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Mate!

Are you in luck!

I just happen to have a near mint condition 2011 Cervelo P3 with mismatched wheels and a thousand spacers that I can let you have for just $4499.

You pay postage though.

Why don’t you ride it

Go the cervelo in a 56 from pushys. I ride the propel in a medium as well if your buying new.

That is very good bang for your buck and waaaayyyy more adjustable then the trinity. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Go the cervelo in a 56 from pushys. I ride the propel in a medium as well if your buying new.

That is very good bang for your buck and waaaayyyy more adjustable then the trinity. 

Thanks for that. Was tossing up whether the 54 or 56 would be suitable. 181 cm tall FYI. In the very first carbon TCR’s back 10 or so years back I was a large with a short stem. The medium feels so much better. 

33 minutes ago, markso1077 said:

Thanks for that. Was tossing up whether the 54 or 56 would be suitable. 181 cm tall FYI. In the very first carbon TCR’s back 10 or so years back I was a large with a short stem. The medium feels so much better. 

Markso1077, at 181 cm you are like me, on the border of medium or large bike size. I too used a large TCR frame but with a medium stem. That's because I have long orangutan arms, short trunk and long legs. Once you work out your body shape (ie short limbs and long body or medium limbs long body etc), you will be able to fit a variety of bike frames either 54cm or 56cm, to your body.

as far as bike fit goes in Geelong, there must be a few shops that do it (de Grandi's) however, Bikepower in Belmont are the shop that the GPC crew use. No idea how good they are, but you could always chat to the GPC crew. 

4 hours ago, markso1077 said:

I'm 178cm with short legs and a long torso and buggered back.  I ride a 56cm P3 as I need to be 'high and long'. I find it fine, only compromise is that you don't get much seat post showing.  I changed the crap, made of cheese'  FSA Gossamer 17.5 cranks for Ultegra 165s, which allowed me to raise the post.

When I'm stood next to it, the bike looks like a freakin horse but i can ride it all day.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Bosco said:

Thanks Willie, Pushys Cervélo P2, Di2 Ultegra, $3k. Best value bike I have ever seen at that price 

wow that's a bargain for di2.

2 hours ago, zed said:

wow that's a bargain for di2.

It's been that price since January and been mentioned on here a few times already.. I'm surprised they have stock left