Jump to content
goughy

Shifting issues?

Recommended Posts

No, I'm not moving house.  But the groupset on my Roadie is having some issues.

I think the problem is in the levers/hoods, as it's happening with both front and back shifting.  Often in struggling to get the front shifted from big to little ring.  About a month ago I couldn't get it to budge at all, bit luckily my mate that day is a worse cyclist than me.  When I got home I hung the bike on the clothesline, sprayed the shit out of the hoods with degreaser, and spinning the cranks I could get it to shift fine.  But again today, often it would take several attempts, and sometimes almost pulling the brakes on to get it to shift down.  Today also the rear was having some issues, sometimes taking one or two goes to shift down but then it would be fine for a while.

Anyone come across this sort of problem before?  Trying to avoid taking it to a bike shop.  I reckon the hoods would be about 7, maybe 8 years old, ultegra 10 speed.  Came off my mates old bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me a bit odd that its happening to both and therefore the fault being in the levers. Might be coincidence that both levers playing up at same time - could be age related. Given the problem is shifting from big ring to little ring and shifting down on cassette (I'm assuming down you mean from say the 18T to a 17T or smaller). If this is the case, I've found in the past the cables running under the bottom bracket have been full of road grime and dirt (also sticky from leaky water bottle brews) thus making them tight through the cable guide under the bottom bracket, and the springs in the front and rear derailleurs cant overcome the increased friction. Solution - take cables out and clean the guide out and degrease the cable sections in the bottom bracket area.

Hopefully an easy fix for you whatever the problem turns out to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say it's the deraileurs just sticking, or the cables not sliding well in the housing. Rather than the hoods. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Bert, I'll look further at that stuff.  And turts, might be time for another big clean up.  I actually think I may have some new brake and gear cables in my bike toolbox, asking with fresh bar tape which it needs.  Maybe some love and attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with Turts. Could be derailleurs just need a clean or pull cables right out and put some grease at top of outer cable and smear more as you slide the inner cable through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When this sort of stuff happens I tend to undo the cables at the derailleur and then push them through their range of motion with your hand, that way first of all you can ensure the derailleurs are both moving freely and have full range. 
Then I tend to grab the exposed end of the cable inner and hold it while I shift the lever up and down then you can feel if the cable is moving smoothly back and forth. 
I think Turts is on the money and you will probably need new cables, if it is gummed up with sweat and grime best to do inners and outers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience with this type of problem has been that it's the cables. If they're older than 5 years old, I'd recommend changing the cables. Whilst the cable outer cover can look ok, usually what happens where the cables bend is, internally the cable wears through the lubricated inner service and rubs on the non-lubricated outer casing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

New bike.

For it is to laugh!

19 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

People still use cables?

I don't even have internal routing!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, goughy said:

For it is to laugh!

I don't even have internal routing!!!

Knowing it's exposed new inner and outer cables should do the trick. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2019 at 7:20 PM, Bored@work said:

People still use cables?

yeah, aka wires, used to connect our DI2 bits,  doh! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the advice.  Honestly, didn't really think it could be a cable issue.  When I get some time I'll run some new ones, I have a set of inners and outers here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, goughy said:

Thanks for all the advice.  Honestly, didn't really think it could be a cable issue.  When I get some time I'll run some new ones, I have a set of inners and outers here.

Even more likely to be a cable issue if the bike hasn't been used much for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2019 at 3:10 PM, goughy said:

No, I'm not moving house.  But the groupset on my Roadie is having some issues.

I think the problem is in the levers/hoods, as it's happening with both front and back shifting.  Often in struggling to get the front shifted from big to little ring.  About a month ago I couldn't get it to budge at all, bit luckily my mate that day is a worse cyclist than me.  When I got home I hung the bike on the clothesline, sprayed the shit out of the hoods with degreaser, and spinning the cranks I could get it to shift fine.  But again today, often it would take several attempts, and sometimes almost pulling the brakes on to get it to shift down.  Today also the rear was having some issues, sometimes taking one or two goes to shift down but then it would be fine for a while.

Anyone come across this sort of problem before?  Trying to avoid taking it to a bike shop.  I reckon the hoods would be about 7, maybe 8 years old, ultegra 10 speed.  Came off my mates old bike.

I had an issue with the left shifter after a service a couple of years back.  Turns out it was the front derailleur - they had de-greased and cleaned the lot, but some de-greaser remained on the front derailleur which stopped it moving correctly.  So, although I could physically move the derailleur with my hand, I couldn't move the left shifter.  Some oil on the derailleur fixed the issue...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, trifun said:

yeah, aka wires, used to connect our DI2 bits,  doh! 

What you still run wires, wireless etap is where it is at

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...