BarryBevan

Is it okay to take a day off training

Been solid all year 50 to 60 hours a month (not ST awesome). Tired, cold, flat not wanting to do anything, is it okay to have a day off?

Yes.

But I know nothing.

2 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

I know the answer is yes. Just struggle with ocd but we are supposed to enjoy it

Change mindset.  Just call it active recovery.  Go for a walk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Your body is telling you what your brain is refusing to let you acknowledge. 

true, true, only an ocd tricathlete could stress about one day doing zero

2 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

true, true, only an ocd tricathlete could stress about one day doing zero

Clean your bike.

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Clean your bike.

Go bike shopping (that even contains a walk segment)

30 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Mowed lawn 

picked up dog poop

took kids to bike park

tidied my room

wished I’d trained

Go train then!!

ive had a shit week training wise, wife’s been in Melbourne on a girls trip, I worked mon-thurs 0600-1800, hardly trained but did what I could between the work hrs, dropping kids off to friends houses at 0500 then picking them up from others friends after work, would have loved to trained more considering I’ve got IMWA in three weeks, but I got to yesterday and felt like having a day off so went diving and caught enough food for the week.  Didn’t wish I’d trained, don’t really feel like it today either but I’ll get a zwift session in sometime between housework, kids dancing lessons and playing LEGO with the boy.  

dont regret having a day off, listen to the body, life gets in the way of our hobby at times.  Shit happens.  

BB’s contributions following his opening post have in no way clarified for me whether this thread is a gee-up or not 🤔

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hoffy86 said:

BB’s contributions following his opening post have in no way clarified for me whether this thread is a gee-up or not 🤔

It’s therapy as I am a pain to be around in days off. Instead of being painful to my family I’m being painful here 

6 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Been solid all year 50 to 60 hours a month (not ST awesome). Tired, cold, flat not wanting to do anything, is it okay to have a day off?

No. Better to get sick, develop an injury and/or  get slow from more junk miles training :)

The aim isn't performance, it's suffering 😉

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, dazaau said:

No. Better to get sick, develop an injury and/or  get slow from more junk miles training :)

The aim isn't performance, it's suffering 😉

Hah I’m out the door pronto 

• Like 1

This sport has the highest turn over of any other sport, lots of burn out. People don't know when to take a day off or take a break. They become obsessed and proud when they tick each and every session off. Which is great, but at what cost? If you want longevity in the sport, you need to look after your mind as well as your body. When you feel burnt out, it's too late. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zed said:

This sport has the highest turn over of any other sport, lots of burn out. People don't know when to take a day off or take a break. They become obsessed and proud when they tick each and every session off. Which is great, but at what cost? If you want longevity in the sport, you need to look after your mind as well as your body. When you feel burnt out, it's too late. 

I resemble that remark, I burnout every 3 years just on the verge of doing some thing decent, chill out for 12 months then come back in

heck,  if you haven't had a full day off all year, you need an uppercut. Especially as you have a race in two weeks. I am guilty of not often having a day off either but I will have an unscheduled day off, mainly because of mental fatigue.  

You will not lose any fitness, and you will gain motivation and mental rest. 

• Like 1

Is it scheduled?

Do you have a scheduled day off each week?

Try the warm up. See how you feel. You might feel good once you get going. If you warm up and still feel crap, pull the pin and rest. Although it takes me warm up plus two intervals to really know.

• Thanks 1

You need more than one day off. 

FM (who is now slow but in his 31st year of triathlon. That’s right - the 80s, 90s, 00s and tenners. Hoping to hit the twenties before slowing down race wise). 

11 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

ended up taking three as I was not feeling great, the kids said my farts were so stinky they did not even want to smell them.

rode tonight

Do they normally want to smell them? :confused1:

3 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

How many days are you going to have to miss with the upcoming move?  Or is crossing the date line going to solve that problem?

I like the idea. Now that we are locked in and have heaps to do, just focussed on getting there. Last 2 weeks my body and life told me just take some time off. Halfs are okay for this though as even if you bust with 10 k to go its a  jog.

Will reset goal form port or cairns to Lake Placid or maybe Arizona of Florida just to get a soft fast time