Sign in to follow this  
Prince

zipp 10 speed to 11 speed

I have a set of zipps (606), however they were for my 10 speed cervelo.  (hub is 10 speed, no spacer)

so, the new cervelo's are now 11 speed.  Can I:

1.   Upgrade the hub to a 11  speed some way, is that a big cost?

2. if I can't upgrade, and assuming I will run a di12 on the new bike, can I still use these wheels in some way?

3. am I stuffed? snd have to sell these  wheels?

Firstly, the front wheel is fine. 

Now with that out of the way, you are going to be much better off getting an 11 speed cassette and shaving a bit of the back to fit in the 10 speed hub. Most bike shops should be able to do that for you. 

Depending on how old your rear wheel is you may be able to replace the hub for an 11 speed one but it will cost you quite a bit more. 

Can't you just buy an 11spd freehub? Screw off the 10spd freehub from the hub body and replace with the 11spd one. Then you'd be right for any 11spd cassette without having to machine each cassette you buy.

It depends on the year model of the Zipp. I have Firecrest that wouldn't just take the 11sp freehub, but it was pretty simple to get the LBS to send it off and Zipp change the bits that need to be changed and redish the wheel.

• Like 1

thanks all for the advice. getting the lbs to.  look at it. the chief mechanic was away today but will. let me know based on all of the above. 

Interesting Slunnie, wasn't aware it was  different for various model hubs. I have a ZIPP 950 disc and a rear ZIPP440 with a ZIPP carbon hub from late 90's (originally 8spd I think but fine with a 9 spd and the 10spd, with spacer). Maybe one day I'll get to an 11spd group set and then need to work out how I get my wheels to 11spd as well. 

Can ID your hubs with this info:

https://www.zipp.com/static/pdf/ZIPP_SPC_RevG.pdf

Something worth investigating, its been a while from when I saw it, but you may be able to swap the Shimano/Sram 10sp freehub for the Campy one which I understand is s straight change over and will take the Campy 11sp cassette. Then you don't have to fluff around with all of the other changes between the Zipp 10sp and 11sp hubs and dishing. Investigate it first though as it may be handy particularly for discs which cant be redished.

17 minutes ago, Slunnie said:

Can ID your hubs with this info:

https://www.zipp.com/static/pdf/ZIPP_SPC_RevG.pdf

Something worth investigating, its been a while from when I saw it, but you may be able to swap the Shimano/Sram 10sp freehub for the Campy one which I understand is s straight change over and will take the Campy 11sp cassette. Then you don't have to fluff around with all of the other changes between the Zipp 10sp and 11sp hubs and dishing. Investigate it first though as it may be handy particularly for discs which cant be redished.

cheers, will check it out