Lost in transition

Triathlons life expectancy?

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I don't think I've ever had a female taxi driver in Australia.

Then again I haven't had an Australian one for about 10 years.

And you can tell they're not Australian how..? 

42 minutes ago, pieman said:

Because they know what they're doing at a roundabout?

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, pieman said:

Probably via a conversation?

That's normally how I find out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nealo said:

Probably via a conversation?

That's normally how I find out.

Yeah I am sure that is what was meant but given he doesn't take many cabs but 'sees' hundreds maybe not..

anyway, who cares, triathlon is dead

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Yeah I am sure that is what was meant but given he doesn't take many cabs but 'sees' hundreds maybe not..

anyway, who cares, triathlon is dead

Sorry, the snippet you took the "doesn't take many but see's hundreds" I was specifically talking about female cab drivers. The second part regarding Australian was from a quote that said "I haven't had an Australian one for about 10 years." and had no reference to what I had seen.

And yes, through talking to them. A few of them were actually Kiwis here in the northern Brisbane area.

21 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I probably only get a dozen cabs a year, but I work in the city and see hundreds. I've seen a few female Uber drivers, but no taxis.

Mate, if the one we had in Kalgoolie said name her was Kevin, I wouldn't have argued with her. "Terminus Hotel, thanks Kev," would have been our groups request. Crikey she was a big country girl. 

• Haha 2

On 11/11/2019 at 12:10 AM, The Customer said:

Here's the women's podium

I realise others may have moved on, but, Customer, how can you defend this sort of thing?!!

trisaudi (2).jpg

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, Tyno said:

I realise others may have moved on, but, Customer, how can you defend this sort of thing?!!

trisaudi (2).jpg

I prefer crocs myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:37 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And yes, through talking to them. A few of them were actually Kiwis here in the northern Brisbane area.

Don't worry Ex, Pieman was just trying to bring the 'race card' into play. But you Ex, like many of us do have conversations with the cabbies, so its always very easy to work out where these guys come from. 

• Haha 1

Back on topic, Noosa still selling out in one day. Triathlon is healthy up here. 

What sets this race apart from every other? 

49 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I think it has become the city to surf of triathlon, more of an “event” than a race. 

• Like 1

Ive never done it so don't know but it seems like it has become more than a race,  the distance is easier than longer races making it more attractive to newbies,  they seem good at building their own hype, they have things like smiddy and the celebrity shit that get publicity. Would like to see the breakdown of where participants come from as it's probably attractive to non Queenslanders for some good weather.  

Ive been to noosa 3 times and it's full of wankers on non tri times so I'd hate to see it during the festival..

On 08/11/2019 at 6:50 PM, Lost in transition said:

Yeah that's rough. I wonder how much a long course race would cost to put on? Say Bendigo, Shepp ect.

I would love to do a river swim tri. 

On 09/11/2019 at 12:34 PM, Mr Tinman said:

Demanded by who? Local council?

My local cycle club who I used to race with would pay to train volunteers to do the traffic controlling once they had an approved traffic control plan in place

may be an option for you guys

On 09/11/2019 at 8:00 PM, Greyman said:

The state of long course racing definitely needs some work. Bringing Shepp back should be a priority, as it's a known performer as a venue that athletes like, attend in numbers and the community supports.

Challenge Melbourne was a good race but never attracted big numbers like Shepp. It also didn't "feel" like a big event like Shepp or Geelong. Probably because we were racing over similar ground that the 2xu races series used. 

On 09/11/2019 at 9:47 PM, Toolish said:

I would love Shepp to return, it seemed like the town was very much behind it.  Is there any news there as to what actually happened, I have not kept up with it but entries opened and the next day it was cancelled...all seemed a bit wierd.

I can't speak for other States or events, but having been involved in pulling together Shepp Half / 70.3 for quite some time, what I can say is that there are many, many (often conflicting) issues/ priorities that need to be considered for all stakeholders.  this can be challenging at best to manage, and at worst, can cause issues for all involved.

In terms of cost of putting an event on, at its peak for Shepp (circa 2012/2013) when we had in excess of 2500 athletes getting around across all of our events (sprint / half / swim / run / kids event etc), it would make your eyes water if you had a look at our budget from those days!!

To the point above re traffic management, often you have little choice as to what you could/couldn't do. In our case, it depended upon whether it was a council managed road, or a Vic Roads managed road. Each had its own requirements regarding traffic management, and often via a commercial operation and at significant cost.  This was generally a non-negotiable (especially for Vic Roads roads)

I recall Shepp Tri Club had an economic benefit report completed during the peak years to demonstrate the value (ie actual dollars) the event brought to the region, and we used this to assist with pitches for support.  The report demonstrated significant (multi-million) $$$ benefits for the region. It should be noted however this did not take into account the enormous volunteer manhours put in by the committee each year (estimated to be in excess of 1800 manhours  per annum) and the significant volunteer manhours from the nearly 500 volunteers we recruited for the weekend (estimated to be circa a further 1000 manhours).

I would hate to even try to put a value on those hours!

I have enormous respect for the likes of Emo and others who continue to do this on a commercial basis as quite simply the only way we could continue to operate an event, at a level that we wanted for our athletes, was due to this significant commitment and input from all volunteers involved. Kudos to thos who can deliver great events and make enough to live on!

In terms of more recently with the demise of Challenge Shepparton, my understanding is that following the purchase of Fairfax events by the Wanda group (Owner of Ironman), they were never going to host a rival brand being Challenge under their watch.

I hear whispers of discussions around potential options for Challenge in Shepp for 2020 and beyond, but absolutely nothing set in concrete and at the moment it is only gossip.

Fingers crossed.  This year represents the first time in nearly 20 years that Shepparton has not hosted a long course event.

8 hours ago, pieman said:

Ive been to noosa 3 times and it's full of wankers on non tri times so I'd hate to see it during the festival..

Yep. And during race week the wank factor is on steroids....... mostly by weekend warriors/bucket listers

• Like 1

It would be a great race if it was more low kep with smaller numbers, but you have to admit....... it’s good for the sport. 

Because the roads are so shit and dangerous in Australia, I'll be selling my tri bike when I return for good and using the funds to buy surfboards and kayaks and riding mountain bikes instead. 

Edited by softy

8 hours ago, softy said:

Because the roads are so shit and dangerous in Australia, I'll be selling my tri bike when I return for good and using the funds to buy surfboards and kayaks and riding mountain bikes instead. 

You must be moving to Gods country (Broulee). Actually there a good group which rides out of Moruya. So you can keep your bike and do all of the above.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:42 AM, Andrew #1 said:

In NSW, all I can say is thank god for Emo.

Emo is this an alias of yours? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Having sat fairly and squarely in the "IM is life" camp and then being outta the click for a while, I'd have to say that small short distance races are the future of the sport as a whole. 

IM is too difficult to have as part of a balanced life IMO. I was told once by a gent that "you can do it on less training, I'm proof of that" but I wouldn't recommend it. Plus there's the "C" word..... COST. 

My 2 cents 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim Shortz said:

Having sat fairly and squarely in the "IM is life" camp and then being outta the click for a while, I'd have to say that small short distance races are the future of the sport as a whole. 

IM is too difficult to have as part of a balanced life IMO. I was told once by a gent that "you can do it on less training, I'm proof of that" but I wouldn't recommend it. Plus there's the "C" word..... COST. 

My 2 cents 

I've defo missed the smaller races,can't race at weekends when IM training.... so will do that more after IMWA.

5 hours ago, Jim Shortz said:

My 2 cents 

And he will prove it again in just under two weeks time. Doesn't make for a fun day out though.

5 minutes ago, zed said:

I've defo missed the smaller races,can't race at weekends when IM training.... so will do that more after IMWA.

You doing Interclubs this weekend?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Katz said:

You doing Interclubs this weekend?

haha **** no. That's the most poorly timed race! Can you imagine 4 months of training for IMWA and you injure yourself in that race! I did think about it as I'm keen to race, but too much risk. They should do it 2 weeks before or 1 week after.

• Like 1

I’m already injured. *sigh*

#numberonefrombookofexcuses

• Sad 2

43 minutes ago, zed said:

haha **** no. That's the most poorly timed race! Can you imagine 4 months of training for IMWA and you injure yourself in that race! I did think about it as I'm keen to race, but too much risk. They should do it 2 weeks before or 1 week after.

Is that Oceanic Tri Club race at Whitfords still around? 

17 hours ago, Katz said:

And he will prove it again in just under two weeks time. Doesn't make for a fun day out though.

Totally does.  Last year was awesome and this year will be awesomer.  No pressure and hundreds of mates and mates I haven't made yet to keep me company.  My goal this year is to make someone laugh so much on the "run" that they $hit themselves.

16 hours ago, zed said:

I reckon it's the best timing.  No pressure on results and race it how you plan on doing the IM a week later and it's a great little test of (wo)man and machine.  It also helps the head as a distraction.  You're no more likely to injure yourself there than in a regular training session, just don't get white line fever.

16 hours ago, Jim Shortz said:

Is that Oceanic Tri Club race at Whitfords still around? 

Yep. 

http://www.triwa.com.au/events-listings/oceanic-olympic-distance

• Thanks 1

On 18/11/2019 at 4:22 PM, Katz said:

I’m already injured. *sigh*

#numberonefrombookofexcuses

Are u still racing?

6 minutes ago, zed said:

Are u still racing?

Of course.

Appointment with sports doc this afternoon for cortisone. 

Just now, Katz said:

Of course.

Appointment with sports doc this afternoon for cortisone. 

whats the injury?

Glute max tear, proximal hamstring tedinopathy, trochanteric bursitis, and ischial bursitis. 

aka - sore and cranky hip

• Sad 1

Just now, Katz said:

Glute max tear, proximal hamstring tedinopathy, trochanteric bursitis, and ischial bursitis. 

oh

How many injections u having? might not have enough time? Takes 14 days minimum for cortisone doesn't it?

2 minutes ago, zed said:

oh

How many injections u having? might not have enough time? Takes 14 days minimum for cortisone doesn't it?

Probably 3. Yeah, that's typical. Will be cutting it fine sadly.  But the docs are only available when they are available to hack athletes like me. Had hoped physio would solve it but its not solving quickly enough.

1 hour ago, Katz said:

Or a busted arse?

• Haha 4

On 16/11/2019 at 12:51 AM, softy said:

Because the roads are so shit and dangerous in Australia

I just got back from 11 days in India. We had a driver the whole time, which I am forever glad of. There is no way I would ever drive a car in that country, let alone even think of riding a bike. It would be safer to ride into CBD Sydney with your eyes closed than to ride ANYWHERE in India let alone in a city. And yet half the population are on pushbikes, motor bikes or motor scooters.

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I just got back from 11 days in India. We had a driver the whole time, which I am forever glad of. There is no way I would ever drive a car in that country, let alone even think of riding a bike. It would be safer to ride into CBD Sydney with your eyes closed than to ride ANYWHERE in India let alone in a city. And yet half the population are on pushbikes, motor bikes or motor scooters.

Yes.... we could swap good stories for sure..... 

Don't you love how they all honk there horn when the roads are jam packed. Its not because there impatient etc, its because they are all trying to cram in to the normal lanes of traffic and they are beeping and saying...I am here..right behind you. But its so crazy.

One day I was ina 3 lane road with 5 lanes of cars feeding down it....and suddenly the traffic parts and coming from the opposite direction is a car coming towards us but wants to head off down a side lane... crazy but it sort of works... weird.

32 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

One day I was ina 3 lane road with 5 lanes of cars feeding down it....and suddenly the traffic parts and coming from the opposite direction is a car coming towards us but wants to head off down a side lane... crazy but it sort of works... weird.

I learnt that if someone wants to turn up a street that is only a few hundred metres from the sidestreet they are coming in from, then it seems totally OK to go the wrong way up a road. We were on 2 lane divided highway (which means there are actually 3 lanes of traffic :) ), and suddenly everyone starts moving to the right. There was a truck coming toward us on the wrong side of the road, and a motorbike also overtaking it. So that meant 3 flows of traffic going the right way & 2 flows going the wrong way, all on a 2 lane road.

And the sight of Dad, Mum and the 3 kids, all on a 200cc Honda, weaving in & out of heavy traffic, without rear view mirrors. And worse, Dad was riding 1 handed because he was using the other to hold the mobile phone up to his ear. Insane!

And then there's this (which didn't really compare to the guy with the 6m lengths of reo bar strapped to his push-bike, riding through the city streets of Jaipur):

image.thumb.png.6874447663788d8b7e6b024132d2f952.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 15/11/2019 at 10:51 PM, softy said:

Gravel 😎🤘

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I learnt that if someone wants to turn up a street that is only a few hundred metres from the sidestreet they are coming in from, then it seems totally OK to go the wrong way up a road. We were on 2 lane divided highway (which means there are actually 3 lanes of traffic :) ), and suddenly everyone starts moving to the right. There was a truck coming toward us on the wrong side of the road, and a motorbike also overtaking it. So that meant 3 flows of traffic going the right way & 2 flows going the wrong way, all on a 2 lane road.

And the sight of Dad, Mum and the 3 kids, all on a 200cc Honda, weaving in & out of heavy traffic, without rear view mirrors. And worse, Dad was riding 1 handed because he was using the other to hold the mobile phone up to his ear. Insane!

And then there's this (which didn't really compare to the guy with the 6m lengths of reo bar strapped to his push-bike, riding through the city streets of Jaipur):

This is exactly what its like. My Boss (Chinese) used to always tell me in India dont sit in the front seat of the hire car. I still have a photo somewhere of Us with the green lights and a bus coming straight across the intersection (perpendicular) as speed. My boss said.... I rest my case...then rattled off a chinese proverb.

On 09/11/2019 at 1:32 PM, roxii said:

There needs to be a way to have affordable pathway races to get people in the door and give them enough opportunities to get hooked, then Ironman can fleece them. 

Triathlon will eat itself? The rising prices will kill this sport. Said it before and I'll say it again...

The triathlon market in Australia is not big enough to sustain itself with enough businesses that can then throw in sponsorship money to keep races going and entry prices down. There needs to be a major restructure of the "triathlon market" so that it expands beyond triathletes only. Just like mums in their 30s everywhere are wearing active gear but many have never been to a gym there is a fashion and lifestyle image that sells itself to a broader market. We need to start a clothing label like TriLife that is sexy and Zoolands it's way into a billion dollar turnover... then you'll get cheap races off that back of naked nike adds, and hot triathletes modeling clothes. 🤣 Who's volunteering to go first?

On 16/11/2019 at 1:51 AM, softy said:

That's worked for me so far quite well 😁

Edited by Slowman

On 16/11/2019 at 10:36 AM, IronmanFoz said:

You must be moving to Gods country (Broulee). Actually there a good group which rides out of Moruya. So you can keep your bike and do all of the above.

Broulee is the greatest town in the world. But bloody hell don’t go telling everyone, they will all want a look!

• Like 1

On 15/11/2019 at 6:37 AM, AA7 said:

Back on topic, Noosa still selling out in one day. Triathlon is healthy up here. 

27 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

In my opinion, one of the worst spots in SEQ.

It was nice 35 years ago when it started though. ;)

17 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It was a busy town but I enjoyed it when I was up there. It might be worse during race week. 

We enjoyed stand up paddle boarding, surfing & shopping on the Main Street. Plenty to do in & around Noosa. It was also an easy drive from Brisbane 

16 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

It was a busy town but I enjoyed it when I was up there. It might be worse during race week. 

We enjoyed stand up paddle boarding, surfing & shopping on the Main Street. Plenty to do in & around Noosa. It was also an easy drive from Brisbane 

I prefer some of the quieter spots around. Having to go a bit further to get to them these days though. 

I'd hate to see another cyclone cross the coast there. Early in the 1900's a cyclone crossed the coast in that area & waves broke across what is now the spit, and were breaking about 2km up the river at Munna Point. I suppose it'd be a bit quieter after that though.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

3 hours ago, The new guy said:

Broulee is the greatest town in the world.

I'm a big fan of a Creamy Broulee....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I'm a big fan of a Creamy Broulee....

3 hours ago, The new guy said:

Broulee is the greatest town in the world. But bloody hell don’t go telling everyone, they will all want a look!

There for Xmas ?

On 29/11/2019 at 7:08 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Move the swim back to the creek, move the team event to Saturday to free up the space (even if that means scrapping the celebrty tri), enforce the TA rule book.

For a beautiful location, come up to Agnus Waters (on second thoughts, don't - it's the huge fields that are Noosa's undoing and drive the prices for entry and accom into the stratosphere).

It would be interesting to see how the numbers in Aus stack up against other countires.

It feels like Ironman is announcing another IM or 70.3 on a regular basis overseas.

Are number in Aust increasing or decreasing at the same rate etc?

On 29/11/2019 at 4:40 PM, Slowman said:

Triathlon will eat itself? The rising prices will kill this sport. Said it before and I'll say it again...

The triathlon market in Australia is not big enough to sustain itself with enough businesses that can then throw in sponsorship money to keep races going and entry prices down. There needs to be a major restructure of the "triathlon market" so that it expands beyond triathletes only. Just like mums in their 30s everywhere are wearing active gear but many have never been to a gym there is a fashion and lifestyle image that sells itself to a broader market. We need to start a clothing label like TriLife that is sexy and Zoolands it's way into a billion dollar turnover... then you'll get cheap races off that back of naked nike adds, and hot triathletes modeling clothes. 🤣 Who's volunteering to go first?

That's worked for me so far quite well 😁

we chased corky away. I think you are onto something, market a bunch of hotties wearing fashion item associated with the sport, works for surfing, skating etc.