willie

A few things will be turned off for a few hours

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You're going to have to take along your A-game this weekend.

Truth!

9 hours ago, FatPom said:

Hows your 5km time coming along? Mine is going south by a good 90  secs :(

I don't know about 5k. I haven't really had a good crack at one lately. I have a TT in two weeks and will know.after that. My guess, about 19.20ish

Where did you run a 1h31m half? That’s not bad for a fat bastard. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rog said:

I'm not that fat anymore.... In fact I'm almost under 90kgs. 

19 minutes ago, willie said:

I'm not that fat anymore.... In fact I'm almost under 90kgs. 

All that USA food hey?

54 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

If it's not on Strava, it didn't happen

I dumped Strava.  I realised I never ever looked at my own stuff, and never really looked at anyone else's; I was just randomly going on "like" sprees.  I saw no point in that, it was just a superficial ego stroke.  So I guess nothing I do actually happens (which is kind true)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

I dumped Strava.  I realised I never ever looked at my own stuff, and never really looked at anyone else's; I was just randomly going on "like" sprees.  I saw no point in that, it was just a superficial ego stroke.  So I guess nothing I do actually happens (which is kind true)

Best thing Strava is for is a training diary - for your own use. And not so much about what you've done but what you haven't done and then.....you'll decide to pull your finger out and do some hard work. Most of us know at what level we should be at, at certain parts/times of the training season.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1

Agree. I see what others have done and get my arse out and do my sessions. 

plenty train in the rain and wind and its motivation  To get out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

Agree. I see what others have done and get my arse out and do my sessions. 

plenty train in the rain and wind and its motivation  To get out. 

A friend of mine used to be bad at maths. When we were out riding in the rain and others didn't turn up, he would turn to me and say.... 'we got two training sessions in today........the one we did and the one thats others didn't!!!'

• Like 1

My Garmin records everything, so I have that for a training diary anyway.  And as far as being inspired by those of testing in the wind and rain, nah.  I'm happy to bump a day to another.  No sheep stations up for grabs for me.  Besides, my reading is about done.  Training is my social time.

3 minutes ago, goughy said:

My Garmin records everything, so I have that for a training diary anyway.  And as far as being inspired by those of testing in the wind and rain, nah.  I'm happy to bump a day to another.  No sheep stations up for grabs for me.  Besides, my reading is about done.  Training is my social time.

Its why youll never go sub 13 to be accepted here. 😂

4 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Best thing Strava is for is a training diary - for your own use. And not so much about what you've done but what you haven't done and then.....you'll decide to pull your finger out and do some hard work. Most of us know at what level we should be at, at certain parts/times of the training season.

I’ve never been on Strava in my life but in this context, what does it do that a Garmin Connect set to private doesn’t?

5 hours ago, sIsForShifty said:

HAHAHAHA!!!

1.31 HM not far off an 84?!?  

Shifty opens up throwin BOMBS :D

19 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Well it is a long way off. :)

Not really, I could barely break 2hrs a few months back. Last November I barely beat 5hrs for a marathon after going through halfway in about 2.02 from memory. To be honest I couldn't run 32km last November. 

Let's see what happens in Queenstown in a couple of weeks. 

15 minutes ago, willie said:

Not really, I could barely break 2hrs a few months back. Last November I barely beat 5hrs for a marathon after going through halfway in about 2.02 from memory. To be honest I couldn't run 32km last November. 

It's a tough 7 minutes.

Unless you're going to get some more weight off, getting down to 4min/km for a HM is going to be tough.

Good luck though.

1 hour ago, willie said:

So what happened, exactly? A few months ago you were giving it large about how easy it was to go from 40km weeks to 100-120 km weeks, and you were going to drop a sub 16min 5km and drop 17kgs.

Weekly updates were touted and none came, which I was calling for.  Then I get several PMs from others advising me that you were unable to run ever again and only play golf.  

Now out of the blue you drop a 1.31 HM which is lifetime away from a 84min. I, like Rog would be curious to know what that race was and I’m much more curious to know how you intend to drop 20secs per km from your current HM time, because that, in anyone’s language is bloody huge.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was looking forward to those weekly updates as well. Genuinely like to see people have a crack. 

My absolutely unfounded guess at what happened and not knowing anything about his history ....willie’s age is catching up with him. Not as easy to run fast and lose weight at 30 compared to 20. 

Also from the other threads he’s had a bit going on. 

• Like 1

On 30/10/2019 at 10:14 PM, willie said:

Well I ran 1.31 so I'm not far off... 

On 31/10/2019 at 11:40 AM, Rog said:

Local parkrun? He never said it was a half 👌

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kenneth said:

I was looking forward to those weekly updates as well. Genuinely like to see people have a crack. 

My absolutely unfounded guess at what happened and not knowing anything about his history ....willie’s age is catching up with him. Not as easy to run fast and lose weight at 30 compared to 20. 

Also from the other threads he’s had a bit going on. 

30 sheez should be belting in sub 130

• Like 1

If Willie is running 1:31 for a half at 90kg, then 84 sounds very achievable. 90kg is very heavy in distance running, so unless he is a giant he could likely loose another 15kg, which would get you some serious time I would imagine. 

And I don't think long distance runners slow down in their 30s. Short stuff sure, but long stuff they go pretty good, if not better. 

Edited by dazaau

39 minutes ago, dazaau said:

If Willie is running 1:31 for a half at 90kg, then 84 sounds very achievable. 90kg is very heavy in distance running, 

It's not that heavy. I did 1:35 in a HIM at 89kg when I was 45, in my first race after 19 years break, and from his old results, Willie was a better runner than I ever was. And I'm only 5 foot 10, so not tall.

Yes he should speed up with weight loss, but 20 sec per km is an awful lot.

6 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

fatties should seek out flat courses. Those 90 kg hurt as soon as the road changes

True. The biggest hill on the one I did was getting off the road onto the footpath near the finish.

• Like 2

On 30/10/2019 at 10:56 PM, Merv said:

Life coaches/,Mentors are for the weak or pissants.

Probably why I have benefited so much from using mentors 

The point of my message seems to be getting lost in detail.  I’m not doubting a guy over 90kgs in his 30s can go 1.31.  My question is why I was getting updates on Willie’s ability/inability to run or provide updates via his mates earlier in the year?

Ive asked what happened and what race this 1.31 was and what the strategy is for dropping 20secs per km over 21kms in 3 wks time.

Willie was the one who said he’d provide updates on what to me, was a very ambitious plan. This is why I was interested in the updates. I work hard on my running and I’m not light ( or young) so I was genuinely interested in what I could learn from his progress.

• Thanks 1

Was it the Sydney Morning Herald half?

4 hours ago, Rog said:

Was it the Sydney Morning Herald half?

No, that would be the one he said he barely broke 2 hours

Capture.PNG

Edited by -H-

Do you guys need to stalk him?

this isnt slowtwitch is it. As in stalking results and on course photos. 

48 minutes ago, Peter said:

Worried they will take your crown has the stalking king

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Rog asked so I looked it up.  Don't worry Peter, you're still the king of the stalkers

• Haha 1

On 31/10/2019 at 6:58 PM, FatPom said:

I’ve never been on Strava in my life but in this context, what does it do that a Garmin Connect set to private doesn’t?

I use a paid Coach Edition Training Peaks to plan all my sessions, never look at Garmin Connect, but love using Strava (free account).

I've always had 'segments' that I've timed myself on to gauge my progress. Most of these segments are climbs, but some are stretches of road with no lights that I can do time trials on. Problem is, I tended to forget exactly where the segments started and stopped. Was it the speed hump, the street sign, the side road, the round-a-bout, a mark on the road?  And there was also the issue of remembering to record the times and remembering where I stored all these times.

Now Strava does it all for me. I never have to hit the lap button. As long as my GPS device is on, Strava will automatically record the 'segment'.  Most popular climbs or stretches of road have multiple 'segments', but Strava lets you 'Star' the ones you are interested in. So after a ride I can check my 'Starred' segments. I can see every time I have covered this segment. Might not be a PB, but I can compare my effort against similar periods in previous years (ie. 12 weeks out from a 'A' race).  I also check how I compare against my friends, but mostly I'm interested in how I compare against myself.

I also use Strava to record runner mileage.  My runner rotation is usually between 12 and 15 pairs (my wife thinks I have a problem). Remembering the kilometres run in each pair would be a nightmare, but in Strava I simply select the runners I used from a drop down box for each run and Strava does the rest. You can even configure Strava to notify you when a pair reaches a certain mileage.

• Like 3

Thanks Rob.  Cant say any of that would interest me, except maybe the shoe mileage feature.  You can do that in GC but only for  one pair.  I log my shoes manually by hours and distance at the moment but I log everything else manually as well, so it's not a huge burden, as I rotate only four pairs (3 at home and one at Mum's house).

The thing I like best about Strava is seeing where other people go. Can always find somewhere good to ride or run. When I travel somewhere I use segments to find new routes. I don’t pay for any of the extras 

On 02/11/2019 at 10:45 PM, Peter said:

It's not stalking but if you're going to talk it up, back it up. 

I could do without lectures on how 'easy' it is to go from 40km p/w to 120km p/w.  With a young family and demanding job, it's freakin hard enough to keep up 60-70km p/w and jump on the bike now and then.

If I can do this at 54 with a young family, should be a piece of piss for a 32yr old with no kids.  I worked my ass off to get a 1.38.31 at Reading Half this year.  And I can't even imagine the pain to knock off 20secs per km off of that.   

http://www.readinghalfmarathon.com/race-data/get-results.php?race-id=15&race_number=&surname=Loxton&forename=Ian&running_club=&submit=submit

10 minutes ago, FatPom said:

It's not stalking but if you're going to talk it up, back it up. 

I could do without lectures on how 'easy' it is to go from 40km p/w to 120km p/w.  With a young family and demanding job, it's freakin hard enough to keep up 60-70km p/w and jump on the bike now and then.

If I can do this at 54 with a young family, should be a piece of piss for a 32yr old with no kids.  I worked my ass off to get a 1.38.31 at Reading Half this year.  And I can't even imagine the pain to knock off 20secs per km off of that.   

http://www.readinghalfmarathon.com/race-data/get-results.php?race-id=15&race_number=&surname=Loxton&forename=Ian&running_club=&submit=submit

just doing ruuning 90 km a week is hard especially if there is quality 120 is very serious

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

If this keeps up I’m going to run a sub 130 for laughs tomorrow 

130min should be achievable

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Watching with interest.   I’m not sure how anyone goes from having a debilitating injury that they can’t run for the rest of their life, to lining doing a 1.31 HM two months later.

No matter what the result, something stinks about this back story.

Edited by FatPom
  • Thanks 1

On 31/10/2019 at 1:46 PM, FatPom said:

So what happened, exactly? A few months ago you were giving it large about how easy it was to go from 40km weeks to 100-120 km weeks, and you were going to drop a sub 16min 5km and drop 17kgs.

Weekly updates were touted and none came, which I was calling for.  Then I get several PMs from others advising me that you were unable to run ever again and only play golf.  

Now out of the blue you drop a 1.31 HM which is lifetime away from a 84min. I, like Rog would be curious to know what that race was and I’m much more curious to know how you intend to drop 20secs per km from your current HM time, because that, in anyone’s language is bloody huge.

I think the penny just dropped - Is Willie the guy that used to post on here as Hiltz? 😂

7 hours ago, The Customer said:

I think the penny just dropped - Is Willie the guy that used to post on here as Hiltz? 😂

Yep and I saw Cobra's post, even if nobody else did.

Edited by FatPom