IronmanFoz

Hoka One One

On 02/11/2019 at 12:56 PM, Kenneth said:

https://www.thetrail.co/hoka/

The Trail Co in Brisbane is having a 25% off hoka sale this weekend for all you big shoe lovers. Looks to be online and in store. 

Any recommendations for a good trail Hoka?

Edited by AA7

16 hours ago, AA7 said:

Any recommendations for a good trail Hola?

Not from me. I was only providing a public service cause I got an email about it. I don’t like them myself. Based on the 5 minutes I wore them in a shop a couple of years ago. 

I used Speedgoats on Larapinta. They were comfortable and provided good grip on the rocks. Also comfortable enough to back up days. 
will try in the mud soon as in NZ now

3 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

I used Speedgoats on Larapinta. They were comfortable and provided good grip on the rocks. Also comfortable enough to back up days. 
will try in the mud soon as in NZ now

I reckon Speedgoats are good on the lighter trails. I’ve found I stumble a bit and I’m not sure if that’s my rubbish technique or that the bigger soles and not letting me feel the terrain.

Ive also found them not so great in really muddy/slippery conditions. Having said that, this could be true of any all rounder trail shoe.  I’m getting some full on winter trails, like Inov8 Roclite and will compare.

Id be keen to try the Hoka ATRs when the Speedgoats wear out. I go up half a size in Speedgoats as I found I was getting some toe bump otherwise.

Edited by FatPom

Anyone with wide fit Hokas still getting blisters? Not sure if my feet are just ultra wide, or if it is the shoe...

41 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I reckon Speedgoats are good on the lighter trails. I’ve found I stumble a bit and I’m not sure if that’s my rubbish technique or that the bigger soles and not letting me feel the terrain.

Ive also found them not so great in really muddy/slippery conditions. Having said that, this could be true of any all rounder trail shoe.  I’m getting some full on winter trails, like Inov8 Roclite and will compare.

Id be keen to try the Hoka ATRs when the Speedgoats wear out. I go up half a size in Speedgoats as I found I was getting some toe bump otherwise.

If you think the speedgoats dont let you feel the terrain, don't try the Stinson ATR s. Or did u mean the challengers? 

By measurements, how do the speedgoats compare to what you do think let's you feel the terrain? I feel the speedgoats are too "feely" 

Yeah I meant the Challengers Turts.

Im not really sure what I mean to be honest, I’ve never had another pair of trail shoes. Well years ago I did, a brand called Walsh but they were more for fell type running.

I think what I’m trying to question, is whether the whole Hoka design/shape is inhibiting trail feel? When I look at the ‘chunkiness’ I’m wondering if it’s a contributing factor to my stumbling?

Having said that, plenty of fast trail folks use them. I probably haven’t tried enough different types to comment yet.

Edited by FatPom

I did some more testing, 4x800 on the track, Saucony Fastwitch, Carbon X, fastwitch, x. Fastwitch 2s faster but carbon x less impact, not unexpected really. I will do one more longer run in carbon X and if overpronation under control I may seriously consider them for Busso. Running in them right after using my flats is the first time I have come to appreciate cushioning over speed.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 1:27 AM, FatPom said:

Hey Zed, any updates on the Carbon X. ?

Yeah I've been using these for my long runs, I like them. As I said, they don't feel like a "typical" Hoka and I'd imagine a lot of Hoka customers would be unhappy with them. Intervals, I switch to my Pegasus Turbo. I don't think I would race a 5km or 10km in the Carbon Xs. They are a fast shoe, perhaps they'd be fine for a 5km but the wider sole and rocker design make it feel like they wouldn't be? Certainly don't feel like a racing flat. But  I'd be happy wearing the 4% for 5km - marathon and the Carbon X is being compared to the 4%/Next% which is kind of odd. They run very different. The Carbon X is probably a bit more forgiving. I expect them to become pretty popular. 

Cheers Zed. I thought they were being touted as a fast race shoe. Given how popular the Rincon is (which is meant to faster than the Clifton) it seems like a crowded space in Hoka's line up?

People seem to hate the Clifton 5 but I really like them as a general all round/LD trainer but always switch to my Saucony ISO rides for faster stuff but they are end of life, so I'm looking for a genuine fast shoe, rather than a half way house. (not that I'm genuinely fast :lol:).

13 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Cheers Zed. I thought they were being touted as a fast race shoe. Given how popular the Rincon is (which is meant to faster than the Clifton) it seems like a crowded space in Hoka's line up?

People seem to hate the Clifton 5 but I really like them as a general all round/LD trainer but always switch to my Saucony ISO rides for faster stuff but they are end of life, so I'm looking for a genuine fast shoe, rather than a half way house. (not that I'm genuinely fast :lol:).

It's a fast race shoe, only marginally lighter than the Clifton, but feels and runs a lot quicker. I would have to run 5kms in one and see how it goes, might be alright? It's still 70, 80 grams heavier than most racing flats. But it was never aimed at 5/10km though was it?

What races you want to use them for?

Edited by zed

14 minutes ago, zed said:

It's a fast race shoe, only marginally lighter than the Clifton, but feels and runs a lot quicker. I would have to run 5kms in one and see how it goes, might be alright? It's still 70, 80 grams heavier than most racing flats. But it was never aimed at 5/10km though was it?

What races you want to use them for?

I might have misunderstood but it came out at the same time as the other carbon wonder shoes, so perhaps I was assuming too much about its intentions?

Nothing specific for me yet, which is why I have plenty of time. I was looking for an early season ( March/April) marathon to do as a benchmark.  In Oct next year, I'm aiming for Abingdon marathon to be my sub 4 attempt but not sure how that will go.

My early road season looks like this:

Winchester 10km in Feb. (43.30 this year)

Bramley 20 miler late Feb. (2.55.30 this year)

Possibly Reading HM in March (1.38.33 this year)

I was hoping to swap Reading for a marathon but Southampton looks crap and all the others are full or clash with our holiday.  So I may have to do a HM instead.

After that it will be a switch to training for Endure 24 in early July and lots of trail events.  Next year will also be massively shaped by whether I get a UTMB slot or not. (very slim chance).

So Winchester and Bramley will be the testing ground for the fast shoe.  Running in winter here usually means the good shoes stay in the box for a while!

17 hours ago, FatPom said:

I might have misunderstood but it came out at the same time as the other carbon wonder shoes, so perhaps I was assuming too much about its intentions?

Nothing specific for me yet, which is why I have plenty of time. I was looking for an early season ( March/April) marathon to do as a benchmark.  In Oct next year, I'm aiming for Abingdon marathon to be my sub 4 attempt but not sure how that will go.

My early road season looks like this:

Winchester 10km in Feb. (43.30 this year)

Bramley 20 miler late Feb. (2.55.30 this year)

Possibly Reading HM in March (1.38.33 this year)

I was hoping to swap Reading for a marathon but Southampton looks crap and all the others are full or clash with our holiday.  So I may have to do a HM instead.

After that it will be a switch to training for Endure 24 in early July and lots of trail events.  Next year will also be massively shaped by whether I get a UTMB slot or not. (very slim chance).

So Winchester and Bramley will be the testing ground for the fast shoe.  Running in winter here usually means the good shoes stay in the box for a while!

This is a really good review of the Carbon X and mostly reflects what I've experienced

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2019/07/hoka-one-one-carbon-x-review/

For a 5K, mile, or shorter the Hoka One One Carbon X won’t give that exciting pop and is frankly too heavy.

In fact, this shoe does not work nearly as well with a heel-strike, so if you’re a midfoot striking runner whose form may change to heel in the late stages of a marathon, you’ve now strapped a shoe that will come to haunt you later in your race.

This new shoe offering is simultaneously too heavy for a race day option with a solid fast feeling under the foot for mid to forefoot strikers.

I found that when heel-striking the plate does not provide much of anything for the runner, however with a mid or forefoot strike you really feel the effect of that forward momentum pop.

The Hoka One One Carbon X is a unicorn of sorts. On one hand it is a fast race-day option, especially when running up on the forefoot, but it almost is too heavy for that.

On the other hand, it is a highly cushioned great long run option that keeps you rolling through your stride comfortably, but it has an overly aggressive toe-off feeling.

• Confused 1

Trying to work out how many more K's I'll get out of my bondi's.  Anyone got any idea?

IMG_20191117_183032.jpg

• Haha 1

Sweet mother of God!! Nahhh a bit of duct tape and they will be good for anoth 5 hungee

Edited by more
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So. In what seems to be true Kenneth fashion, I went to buy a pair of trail shoes yesterday. Went in open minded, said what I was after. Something not full blown tech trail shoe, something that will be more suited to fire trails, grass and some bitumen. Have only run in Saucony since trying them a few years ago.

The options given were topo and hoka challenger atr. They were both good. But hoka were freakin amazing. The others felt like I remember hoka feeling like when I last tried them. A foot collapsing / stuck in ground type feeling. Ran in them this morning. Wow. I just wanted to keep running. Poor poochie got worn out so had to cut it short.  

Nothing like a missed sale to pay full price. My wallet is shaking in fear that I’ll need to change over all shoes to hoka  

i didn’t tell mrs Kenneth that I missed the sale by a week.

11 hours ago, Tyno said:

What size Goughy?

10.5 I think.  I think I have my old 11's here somewhere, think they were in better condition when I replaced them.

6 hours ago, goughy said:

10.5 I think.  I think I have my old 11's here somewhere, think they were in better condition when I replaced them.

mine are 10.5 uk/11 US.

Could send em up the hill if you want em.

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer tyno, but it's cool.  I guess I probably should stick to the right size.  Do Kmart still sell kt26's??

1 hour ago, Jim Shortz said:

Is there a model with a wide toe box? 

I've put over 1000km into my Clifton 4's and I'm looking for a new pair in a little while 

Bondi 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Thanks for the offer tyno, but it's cool.  I guess I probably should stick to the right size.  Do Kmart still sell kt26's??

KT26s were pretty radical when they first came out (1978). I had at least 2 pairs. Don't knock the KT26s.

• Like 1

Anyone wear Hoka Clifton's? Or want to? 

Anyone want to buy my spare pair off me! I liked them when I tried them on in the shop so bought two pairs, but have now realised that they really don't suit my feet and give me blisters galore... They've never been run in, Hoka Clifton 5, US Size 11 and 2E (wide)... $140 if anyone wants 'em? So, they're effectively brand new but no longer in box / no receipt

I have the other pair too, which I've worn for 3 x 5km runs (no blister) and one 9km run (big blister) 😞  $100 for those ones

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Anyone wear Hoka Clifton's? Or want to? 

Anyone want to buy my spare pair off me! I liked them when I tried them on in the shop so bought two pairs, but have now realised that they really don't suit my feet and give me blisters galore... They've never been run in, Hoka Clifton 5, US Size 11 and 2E (wide)... $140 if anyone wants 'em? So, they're effectively brand new but no longer in box / no receipt

I have the other pair too, which I've worn for 3 x 5km runs (no blister) and one 9km run (big blister) 😞  $100 for those ones

Not interested in the shoes, but I have the same blister issue. What shoes have you turned to since that don't give you blisters...?

I went back to my old tried and tested Saucony Triumph... a far more neutral shoe without the build up under the arch on the Hoka's (that I only noticed after 5km of course!!!) 

my black friday shoes came in the mail last night :D
So at least online shipping from them is not too bad.

A set of BondiB's and a set of Elevons
Now to try the BondiB on Friday's training run.

9 minutes ago, Cape_Horn said:

my black friday shoes came in the mail last night :D
So at least online shipping from them is not too bad.

A set of BondiB's and a set of Elevons
Now to try the BondiB on Friday's training run.

I also got a set of Bondi B's, was hoping the sole would be a little longer wearing. I got ok KMs out of Bondi 4s... but because I run like a numpty I wore through a pair of Bondi 5s on the outside of the left heel in ~200km, same with a pair of Clifton 1s (the reissue). The sole seems a little sturdier on the Bs. 

Have now put in over 100km in my first pair of Hoka's - Rincon.  I love them, but they don't love me back quite so much.

My work moved to Docklands, a concrete jungle, a long way from good running surfaces. It is now 2.5km to get to the Tan, whereas my work's previous location was only 0.5km away. Harder surfaces reek havoc with my legs and I suffered injuries almost straight away. Purchased the Hoka One One Rincons for my lunchtime runs believing they will protect the legs when running on hard surfaces.

So far the Rincons have served their purpose and my legs are surviving far better on the harder surfaces. It has also opened up lots of other routes now that I'm not limited to running on natural surfaces.

The Rincons are very light (which I like), similar to my Saucony Kinvaras. The wide sole also helps against pronation. Much better than pronation runners with their stiffer sections of the sole (which I hated). Feel a little different to run in, but I'd come to like how they feel. 

Problems:
- Experienced minor blisters in the arch after about 50 minutes. Have not experienced this with any other shoe (I currently have 12 pairs of runners in rotation). Resolved this by wearing slightly thicker socks.
- My second toe is longer than my big toe. This causes issues on long runs with a lot of runners. But definitely the worst with the Rincons (and yes there is a full finger's gap between my toe and the end of the shoe). I suspect this is due to the large amount of cushioning. A lack of road feel seems to exaggerate bad running form when I start to fatigue. Experience this problem less in non-cushioned runners, but want some cushioning for the long runs (catch 22).
- Wore them in a Half Marathon. Worst blisters I have ever experienced, lost 2 toenails.
- Was hoping they would become my Half Ironman race runners, but that will never happen.

Summary (specific to me):
- really light and provide stability via the wide sole
- great for runs up to 60 min on hard surfaces
- therefore perfect for my lunchtime runs at work
- get blisters in the arch if I run in thin socks
- destroy my toes on long runs
- still searching for race runners for Half Ironman.

My current runners:
- Saucony Kinvara 6
- Saucony Kinvara 9
- Saucony TypeA8
- Inov-8 Road-X 233
- Inov-8 Road-X lite 155
- Inov-8 Tri-Extreme 225
- Inov-8 Race Ultra 270
- Inov-8 Trailroc 245
- Inov-8 TerraClaw 220
- Hoka One One Rincon
- On Cloudflow
- Newton Distance S IV

• Thanks 1

Not sure, but the Carbon X may have caused an issue with my calf. I can run long in lightweight shoes, racing flats etc but have picked up a bit of a niggle and it seemed to coincide with the Carbon Xs. Not sure though. Stopped running in them and am fine, ran 15km yesterday with no issue in my Pegasus Turbos. Carbon Xs are stiff. I'm confused by the reviews referring to them as soft and cushioned. 

Right, after my last run in them, I think it is time to toss my Gavoita 2's. being that they only have 175km on them, if anyone wants them, pay for postage, or pick up in the ACT (Or wait a week, and we can meet in Melb or Geelong) - Size US9.5 Mens

Hoka’s are still on my future radar, but I was swayed by Fastgears price on Salmings shoes. Bought 2 different pairs and I have to say. Best shoes I have ever run in...... note.. this is about 6 runs in them so far $99 a pop....can’t go wrong.

52 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Hoka’s are still on my future radar, but I was swayed by Fastgears price on Salmings shoes. Bought 2 different pairs and I have to say. Best shoes I have ever run in...... note.. this is about 6 runs in them so far $99 a pop....can’t go wrong.

Hadn't heard of them, so I thought I'd have a look on JH's site.

They're now at $199&$239 respectively, so I'm gonna pass.

Having said that, I really want to try the Hoka Rincon but the One One site only has them in two sizes(not mine).

Port's Athletes Foot store would order some so I could compare to the Clifton 6, but the wholesaler has none.

How can you release a new shoe and have NO stock.     Sigh.

I have been trail running in the Hoka Torrent shoes for about 6 weeks. They are not as spongy as the Hoka Bondi shoes that I also use. So far I have found the grip really good, they have coped well with the small amount of snow and ice we have had so far this winter.

The sole on the Torrent shoes seems much tougher than the Bondi shoes and looks as though it will last much longer.