Jump to content
IronmanFoz

Hoka One One

Recommended Posts

For those that wear these.... what style are you running in and why. And are they good v's other brands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

For those that wear these.... what style are you running in and why. And are they good v's other brands.

The rock on them helps me as I have broken my big toes so many times, and in normal shoes I basically pull up crippled. Bondi I think I run in  will check  

But new balance do a shoe similar called the MMORE. 

AND its CHEAPER 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used and rotated loads over the years, from Ahari 1 wides through to Clifton 3/4/5 and Speedgoat 2/3.  I like them a lot but do find the high arch seam can be problematic on some models. I always run with Superfeet carbon or blue inserts, which seems to help a lot here.

What I don't have is a fast/light Hoka shoe, for that I use Saucony ISO Ride but would be very interested in trying the Hoka Carbon EVO X.

I seem to just click with these better than other brands and don't get overly injured.  I am thinking of moving away from the Speedgoats though, as I don't think I'm feeling the trail as well as I should with them  (I keep stumbling) but that could be my crap technique.

I wouldn't wear them if really didn't work for me, because they look like clown shoes, and nobody is rocking them 'cos they look great, that for sure. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been getting heaps of hamstring problems of late and wondering if its the shoes (Asics DS trainer) and my increasing age... lol. + when I am tired or have lacked running, my oppsite shoe cuts the edge of my ankle giving me a regular scab which I keep knocking off. It shits me and hurts.

Anyway....was looking at HOKa's a year or so ago and baulked at the price (upwards of $240/250). 

I can get the following style at pretty good prices.

Hoka Mach ---100.95

Hoka Speedgoat 3 ---120.95

Hoka Clifton 5 ---169.95

Hoka Gaviota 108.95

I quite like the look of the Hoka Mach which they say eveolved from the Clayton. 

Any thoughts. 

PS: and before anyone asks.............I am not selling anything.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Bondi for the past 4 pairs. Also the wide fit suits me.  It just feels nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently use

  • Ahari wide which are equivalent to Ascis 2000 series 
  • Clifton 5 
  • Speedgoats 2 off-road 

I wanted extra cushion initially to train for 100km ultra, after broken hip. They work for me. The Ahari are a bit of a plank but surprisingly comfortable at the end of a run. The Speedgoats are too light for big mileage on road and will wear out quickly. Clifton are my main go to pair when running.

i buy from the Hoka Australia web site but the clearance section as just getting last year’s latest and greatest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using Clifton 5-6 for the last 2 years, and it has been the best running in my short time in tri. Prior to that I was an Asics guy, in a variety of kayano, noosa, nimbus. Common to all Asics with me was achillies tightness after every run, I thought it was because I was a new runner, and kept increasing distance and it was just a byproduct.  Got a cheap pair of Cliftons from running warehouse, and I haven’t had pain since. I did also start getting some blisters around the arch like fatpom mentioned, but the orthotics I started using this year have cleared it up. 
 

I ‘think’ the main advantage in the Hoka for me is the reduced drop height - when coming back from a foot injury this year I did a Parkrun in a nimbus as it felt a little softer on the area with pain, and I instantly got the achillies pain again. Switch back to Hokas, nothing.

 

 

Oh, and just started trail running in Hoka Mafetes, only up to 8k so far but feel really solid, grippy and supportive.

Edited by The new guy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My last 2 pairs of shoes have been Bondi's.  But I'm only walking.  To me, it felt like they were wearing out quickly, but I just checked and I'm walking about 1000k a year in them, but it is only walking!  But I wonder what some of the other pairs would be like for just walking (m maybe running at a tri).  I wear NB 1080's at work, and went for a walk in them by accident the other day, and I kinda felt more connected to the ground, if that makes sense????  Saying that, I had been standing all day in the shoes so I don't know what effect that had on the cushioning?  

For walking, should I be looking for something different in a shoe?  One of the show show I was at once told me that runners will wear out fast when walking as that's not what they're designed for.  And that a cross trainer would be better.  This was after one of my kids blew through a pair of runners at school really quickly (they wear normal runners every day at school.

I see the Hola site has the Cavu on sale, and the Hupana as well.  Any love for those?  Or I could look for a cheaper NB shoe; I've been happy with their fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, goughy said:

My last 2 pairs of shoes have been Bondi's.  But I'm only walking.  To me, it felt like they were wearing out quickly, but I just checked and I'm walking about 1000k a year in them, but it is only walking!  But I wonder what some of the other pairs would be like for just walking (m maybe running at a tri).  I wear NB 1080's at work, and went for a walk in them by accident the other day, and I kinda felt more connected to the ground, if that makes sense????  Saying that, I had been standing all day in the shoes so I don't know what effect that had on the cushioning?  

For walking, should I be looking for something different in a shoe?  One of the show show I was at once told me that runners will wear out fast when walking as that's not what they're designed for.  And that a cross trainer would be better.  This was after one of my kids blew through a pair of runners at school really quickly (they wear normal runners every day at school.

I see the Hola site has the Cavu on sale, and the Hupana as well.  Any love for those?  Or I could look for a cheaper NB shoe; I've been happy with their fit.

Hupana are very narrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Bondis. 
Anything that’s not flat they smash my calves.  I don’t  wear them now. 
if you want a pair of size 11s to try, let me know. They have 118 kms on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AA7 said:

Hupana are very narrow. 

Good to know, I go the wider sizes typically

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I have been getting heaps of hamstring problems of late and wondering if its the shoes (Asics DS trainer) and my increasing age... lol. + when I am tired or have lacked running, my oppsite shoe cuts the edge of my ankle giving me a regular scab which I keep knocking off. It shits me and hurts.

Anyway....was looking at HOKa's a year or so ago and baulked at the price (upwards of $240/250). 

I can get the following style at pretty good prices.

Hoka Mach ---100.95

Hoka Speedgoat 3 ---120.95

Hoka Clifton 5 ---169.95

Hoka Gaviota 108.95

I quite like the look of the Hoka Mach which they say eveolved from the Clayton. 

Any thoughts. 

PS: and before anyone asks.............I am not selling anything.

 

 

Maybe do some strength work on your hamstrings

Shoe scrap is because of hip drop causing the swing leg to scrap your ankle.

No shoe is going to address these issues. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bondi 5 and Clifton 4 here - I started in them as I had a number of friends in them who had hip, knee and ankle issues who could run again. I gave them a go and was hooked.

Thing is I have a pair of Mizuno Wave Sky 3's coming my way (won them at the Hills Race), so I will let you know about those when I try them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clifton for me for training. 

Shorter races I've tried and like the Rincon. Awesome shoe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clifton training and racing for me. Given pace I run after a bike ride, little value for me in shifting away from a training shoe. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foz, I wear Bondi 6s. As you know I need the support for my dodgy Achilles. I can lend you a pair of my 'used' ones (size 12) if you want to test them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally got the Stinsons as I was getting sore on my long runs and these did the job, but they were heavy and clumpy. I then switched to the Cliftons, which were much lighter, good to train in for long runs. After a year I was no longer getting sore and niggles, I changed my run technique so went to Nike Pegasus Turbo for long runs, they are almost a race shoe, but great to train in. I tried my Cliftons last week and they felt horrible after running in the Nikes, not heavy, just slow and clumpy. Not sure if I will use them again for training. But I've just bought the Carbon X, so may train in those. Not sure about racing as I have the 4%. Haven't run in the Carbon X yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, zed said:

Originally got the Stinsons as I was getting sore on my long runs and these did the job, but they were heavy and clumpy. I then switched to the Cliftons, which were much lighter, good to train in for long runs. After a year I was no longer getting sore and niggles, I changed my run technique so went to Nike Pegasus Turbo for long runs, they are almost a race shoe, but great to train in. I tried my Cliftons last week and they felt horrible after running in the Nikes, not heavy, just slow and clumpy. Not sure if I will use them again for training. But I've just bought the Carbon X, so may train in those. Not sure about racing as I have the 4%. Haven't run in the Carbon X yet.

And here’s me with one pair of shoes 😂😂😂😂😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zed said:

 But I've just bought the Carbon X, so may train in those. Not sure about racing as I have the 4%. Haven't run in the Carbon X yet.

I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the Carbon X mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FatPom said:

I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the Carbon X mate.

I only walked round Coles in them so far lol

I plan on using them for long runs, don't think I'll race in them. Will run tomorrow and let you know. They're light and stiff so I reckon they will good. But quite different to the 4%.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KieranR said:

And here’s me with one pair of shoes 😂😂😂😂😂

I have one pair of work shoes that are falling apart and god knows how many pairs of runners. Priorties lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, superboy said:

Cant get hold of them!

What size are you? There are a few places selling them other than Hoka, but only some sizes available. Site I got mine from was only 9US and 11US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, zed said:

I only walked round Coles in them so far lol

I plan on using them for long runs, don't think I'll race in them. Will run tomorrow and let you know. They're light and stiff so I reckon they will good. But quite different to the 4%.

I’ve been using cliftons, which were/are great.

Went to buy the carbon x but ended up getting bondi 6, they just felt right for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

carbon x review please

Running at lunch will update!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changed to Hokas years ago, at about the same time I stopped running tarmac and started running almost exclusively on trails, which also coincided with the last of ongoing foot and knee problems.  

For what its worth, I've run only in Challenger ATR's for as long as they have been making that model and have had no probs since.

Long miles on tarmac is shit for your joints not to mention about as boring as running can be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carbon Xs were great. Ran 14 easy and really liked them, bit of a surprise. They're lightish (230gm), really comfy and quick. Probably not as quick as the Next% and I wouldn't use them for anything other than a marathon, but yeah really good to run in. They are a bit unusual and unlike any other Hokas I've run in. Probably more in common with the Tracer than say the Clifton. But I hated the Tracer, love this. I've read some reviews and they discuss the cushioning as soft: Some people have reported the Carbon X as having good shock absorption, I don't really agree with this.

"The Profly X midsole will land you softly and shoot you out like a rocket at toe off. The softer cushioning in the heel makes touchdowns much smoother"

I didn't find this at all. They felt pretty firm, I guess largely to do with the carbon plate. Not uncomfortably firm and not firm like a racing flat, but certainly not soft and cushioned like a Clifton.  It got me thinking, are these shoes not going to be suitable for a lot of runners? I know lots of people choose traditional Hokas to avoid injury, soreness, niggles etc Are they going to have problems with the Carbon X? 

The shoes have this Meta-Rocker, which is really odd, it forces you onto the forefoot, kind of throws you forward for your next push off, like a rocking chair. So you get a quick turnover.It's odd, but good.  I don't think you're going to get as much benefit from the Meta-Rocker and also the carbon plate if you're a heel striker. It is similar in some ways to the Next%, but whilst i would race 5km in the Next%, I wouldn't the Carbon X. Although it's early days. I find when running in racing flats, it almost feels like I'm on the balls of my feet and you can't feel the heel touch the ground whereas the Carbon X if you run on the balls of your feet the heel still hits the ground (if that makes sense?) which, along with the wide footprint of the shoe makes it feel a little slower than a traditional racing flat. But then it's not a racing flat and perhaps it's unfair to compare it to the Next% which a lot of reviewers seem to be doing.

So for me, great shoe (although that's 1 walk round Coles and 1 x 14km easy) and I'll use it for long training runs. I'd be happy to race a marathon/IM in them, but still have my 4%s so will use that. Not as comfy, but quicker (I think).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lawman said:

Changed to Hokas years ago, at about the same time I stopped running tarmac and started running almost exclusively on trails, which also coincided with the last of ongoing foot and knee problems.  

For what its worth, I've run only in Challenger ATR's for as long as they have been making that model and have had no probs since.

Long miles on tarmac is shit for your joints not to mention about as boring as running can be.

 

Switching to Hokas also helped with my calf and Achilles issues, but what has really helped was changing my run technique, high cadence, forefoot strike, feet under hips and running on hot coals. When I'm fresh and running like that, it's like I'm power-walking, feet barely leaving the ground, the impact feels minimal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Zed, very interesting. I'm looking for a new fast shoe at the moment, not desperate, as it's winter here but keeping an eye on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, I have raced in the Carbon X over IRONMAN and 70.3 distance. It’s a fast and forgiving shoe, in my opinion it suits a lot of age group athletes much better than a 4% or next % due to the wider base that Hoyas are known for making it a more inherently stable shoe.

Zeds comments about being firm are spot on and you will definitely feel your calf’s working due to the meta rocker and carbon plate putting more load through the calf, but I like it as a long distance race option

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zed said:

Carbon Xs were great. Ran 14 easy and really liked them, bit of a surprise. They're lightish (230gm), really comfy and quick. Probably not as quick as the Next% and I wouldn't use them for anything other than a marathon, but yeah really good to run in. They are a bit unusual and unlike any other Hokas I've run in. Probably more in common with the Tracer than say the Clifton. But I hated the Tracer, love this. I've read some reviews and they discuss the cushioning as soft: Some people have reported the Carbon X as having good shock absorption, I don't really agree with this.

"The Profly X midsole will land you softly and shoot you out like a rocket at toe off. The softer cushioning in the heel makes touchdowns much smoother"

I didn't find this at all. They felt pretty firm, I guess largely to do with the carbon plate. Not uncomfortably firm and not firm like a racing flat, but certainly not soft and cushioned like a Clifton.  It got me thinking, are these shoes not going to be suitable for a lot of runners? I know lots of people choose traditional Hokas to avoid injury, soreness, niggles etc Are they going to have problems with the Carbon X? 

The shoes have this Meta-Rocker, which is really odd, it forces you onto the forefoot, kind of throws you forward for your next push off, like a rocking chair. So you get a quick turnover.It's odd, but good.  I don't think you're going to get as much benefit from the Meta-Rocker and also the carbon plate if you're a heel striker. It is similar in some ways to the Next%, but whilst i would race 5km in the Next%, I wouldn't the Carbon X. Although it's early days. I find when running in racing flats, it almost feels like I'm on the balls of my feet and you can't feel the heel touch the ground whereas the Carbon X if you run on the balls of your feet the heel still hits the ground (if that makes sense?) which, along with the wide footprint of the shoe makes it feel a little slower than a traditional racing flat. But then it's not a racing flat and perhaps it's unfair to compare it to the Next% which a lot of reviewers seem to be doing.

So for me, great shoe (although that's 1 walk round Coles and 1 x 14km easy) and I'll use it for long training runs. I'd be happy to race a marathon/IM in them, but still have my 4%s so will use that. Not as comfy, but quicker (I think).

thanks zed, what are the 4 %

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a pair of the Cliftons as I thought they'd be a good alternative (more cushioning) than my Saucony Triumph. Tried them on in-store and they felt awesome, ran 3-4km in them, all good...

But... as soon as I get over 5km in them the arch/instep is way too high and I start to rub and blister... bugger, now I have a pair of shoes for sub 5km training runs 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

thanks zed, what are the 4 %

Nike 4%, replaced by the Next%. As Ben G said, the Carbon X is probably more suited to most AGers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My go to shoe is the Saucony Fastwitch, 2:58 @ GCM and I have used in Ironmans without issue, other nutrition and poor bike pacing issues plagued me... It's the lightest racing flat with a touch of stability. I have tried 4% and now testing Carbon X. 4% hurt my knees, maybe too much heel to toe drop and narrow plate leading to instability with my gait. Carbon X have fared much better with the wider plate providing enough stability. Had hip tightness on a long run but not dissimilar to my trainers and mostly due to my current training load. Had a good tempo session in X but coming from the fastwitch I notice the additional weight and not as much pop as 4%. Metarocker seems to dull my foots natural tendency to splay and feel the ground, or at least it feels a bit artificial. I can see how if your foot strength is weak or tiring it that it helps. It does help "rolling" a good cadence, whether midfoot or forefoot striking.   For now I will stick with Fastwitch as I only have 5 weeks until Busso but the X is something I will keep testing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AJS said:

I bought a pair of the Cliftons as I thought they'd be a good alternative (more cushioning) than my Saucony Triumph. Tried them on in-store and they felt awesome, ran 3-4km in them, all good...

But... as soon as I get over 5km in them the arch/instep is way too high and I start to rub and blister... bugger, now I have a pair of shoes for sub 5km training runs 😞

Try the Superfeet inserts mate. It seriously changed my experience with Hokas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fat Pom - not heard of Superfeet inserts? Are they from Hoka or a separate brand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AJS said:

Fat Pom - not heard of Superfeet inserts? Are they from Hoka or a separate brand?

Different brand all together, not overly popular in AUS though. I tend to disagree with putting inserts in anything unless you're really messed up. They make a heavy shoe even heavier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AJS said:

Fat Pom - not heard of Superfeet inserts? Are they from Hoka or a separate brand?

Different brand.  I use the Carbon ones for road and the blue gel ones for trails, I get about a year out of the carbon and two winters plus races out of the blue gels.

Edited by FatPom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks FP & Willie... kind of glad it's not just me who has that issue with them, they felt great when I tried them on!!! 

Might try swapping the insoles for the ones from an old pair of Triumphs just in case that's a magical quick fix!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AJS I'm the same. I've got a pair of claytons, felt great but as soon as I wear them for too long I get blisters in my insole. they also give me achilles soreness after long runs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/10/2019 at 11:29 PM, zed said:

I only walked round Coles in them so far lol

 

Fastest shopping trip ever!

 

Hoka’s- thanks to all for the info thus far. I’ve had 24 hours off so will read the info. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A question on footprint of shoe. I was getting a quick massage at Nepean....and saw two guys comparing shoes....one had Hoka’s the other looked to be a racing flat. Hoka’s was massive by comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a pair of size 12 Clifton Ones you can have for cheap if u want. Hardly ran in them as they just never felt right to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, more said:

I've got a pair of size 12 Clifton Ones you can have for cheap if u want. Hardly ran in them as they just never felt right to me. 

 Am 10.5, so I would probably be swimming in them if they are a 12.

For those that have them. Do you consider them to be heavy or feel heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

 Am 10.5, so I would probably be swimming in them if they are a 12.

For those that have them. Do you consider them to be heavy or feel heavy.

The Clifton's are an odd sizing. I'm US 9 normally and my Clifton's are 10. They don't feel too heavy. 

Edited by zed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did 18km with some faster stuff today. I occasionally get a a little niggle in my hamstring tendons and glute tendons, felt it today. No issue though, but I can imagine people used to Hokas cushioned shoes having problems with these. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a pair of Speedgoat IIs that I leave at Mum’s house ( where we are now) but they don’t have the Superfeet insoles.  I ran 13km but could feel the makings of a blister after 11km.

I also don’t buy the argument that the Superfeet  ale a heavy shoe heavier, I weighed both yesterday and the SF Carbon is 2gms lighter than the std Hoka insole.

I like a lot of things about most Hokas but those high arches are laser guided blister machines for me. The SF insoles make that a non issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, zed said:

The Clifton's are an odd sizing. I'm US 9 normally and my Clifton's are 10. They don't feel too heavy. 

Depends on the colour way and model. But normally up half a size, yes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...