trifun

Noosa Tri 2019

6 hours ago, AA7 said:

I was wrong. Bit of a washing machine out there. Shortened swim course, big beach run.

Why do they shorten the swim when conditions are crap? It's either unsafe or not. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zed said:

Why do they shorten the swim when conditions are crap? It's either unsafe or not. 

The currents. I ran out via the rocks at the far right. Got dragged to the first turn and then swept down the beach. 

64DA590A-C25C-4109-9889-F604EE150A28.jpeg

3 hours ago, AA7 said:

Multisport timing.

Ash Gentle for win number 7.

Jake Birtwhistle over Henri Schoeman.

And a first for AA7 who had a great race despite a bit of sandbagging 🤣

1 hour ago, zed said:

What Kim said. Huge sweep along the beach. But I don't think it was unsafe, just would've been slow swim times. But the weaker swimmers would've definitely struggled to swim against the sweep.

Today was a run, swim, run, bike, run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ended up with 2.26 for the day. That was okay. I think Ron is still out there somewhere  .There were a few detonations in the heat. 😀

Edited by Chuckie M

1 hour ago, SomeTri said:

And a first for AA7 who had a great race despite a bit of sandbagging 🤣

And a 28th overall!! Nice!

• Like 1

This is how you jam 4000 on the course. What a race! The bike is a brilliant mix of roundabouts, speed humps, climbs and descents. I saw lots of explosions on the run. Some people walking straight out of transition. I feel for all those people. 

This year though will be remembered for the swim. Piss bolt right down to the rocks, and let the ocean do the rest for you. Pop out and do a beach run back to the finish line. It was actually comical with all the people running down to the point. It made the 1st transition long though. 

1 hour ago, Chuckie M said:

I ended up with 2.26 for the day. That was okay. I think Ron is still out there somewhere  .There were a few detonations in the heat. 😀

'Heat'....warm but mild for Noosa really.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SomeTri said:

Trifun, did you get to complete the course?

Well he bounded up on stage to collect his 35yr legends club award. Moonboot on.

Edited by AA7
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, AA7 said:

What Kim said. Huge sweep along the beach. But I don't think it was unsafe, just would've been slow swim times. But the weaker swimmers would've definitely struggled to swim against the sweep.

Today was a run, swim, run, bike, run.

gotcha :)

5 hours ago, AA7 said:

Well he bounded up on stage to collect his 35yr legends club award. Moonboot on.

Thought  he got that 2 years ago!

8 hours ago, SomeTri said:

Trifun, did you get to complete the course?

Finished - made the cutoff by 7 1/2 min, 3:58 (just for the run) , 15 min to get from the timing mat to the roks, good swim but then another 10 min to get from the beach landing to the swim finish mat, cycle was enjoyable (there were some idiots and some blatant drafters out there), lots of very nice ladies enquired after my health on the run 

new trivia - I think I'm the only person to finish in the top 10 and the last ten at Noosa 😕 

Back home in the Bay now - going dark as I try to finish the final report for my Masters (due 2pm tomorrow (but that is a workday...))

• Like 6

Glad you got it done - sure it as as hard day to out there for you - specially with the extended walking bits today. 

Wonder if it would have been easier for you  to just swim straight  out...

8 hours ago, SomeTri said:

Glad you got it done - sure it as as hard day to out there for you - specially with the extended walking bits today. 

Wonder if it would have been easier for you  to just swim straight  out...

thought about it,

even fancied swimming home from the "run turn"

I never imagined how tough it would be to "walk" aka limp as it was 1/2 the speed of the real walkers for four hours (esp as 4000  people went past).

There has been quite a mess up with the timing system. Appears to have messed around with the podium positions...

35 minutes ago, SomeTri said:

There has been quite a mess up with the timing system. Appears to have messed around with the podium positions...

My "run" splits were accurate @ 20min per km LOL

Anybody lose anything on the course?. I lost a spare tyre and co2 at Garmin hill timing Matt. it bounced off in front of the Marshall there. It would be nice to get it back. I hope to get it from the site office when all the lost and found is located. anyone else in the same boat?🤨

Dunno about lost and found. I saw someones expensive down tube aero bottle on the road just before the turn up the hill. 

Whats Hastings St like today? You couldnt move, eat or drink anything last night. 

4 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

Anybody lose anything on the course?. I lost a spare tyre and co2 at Garmin hill timing Matt. it bounced off in front of the Marshall there. It would be nice to get it back. I hope to get it from the site office when all the lost and found is located. anyone else in the same boat?🤨

Lost a one week old set of Aquasphere goggles when I got dumped on in the shore break on the way in, stood up (on one leg) and looked around - no-one else nearby, saw a set of goggles in the foam and grabbed them as they went by (el cheapos) left them on the fence at the swim exit . 

11 hours ago, SomeTri said:

A huge mess in my age group. Podium placings have now changed three times. Apparently some chips didnt register when crossing the starting mat so athletes were just given the gun time for their wave. I think we'd be naive to think this only happened in this specific age group. 

4 hours ago, Lost in transition said:

Whats Hastings St like today? You couldnt move, eat or drink anything last night. 

People file out pretty quickly. Just had a lazy burger and beer on the deck of the surf club without much hassle getting a table. 

11 hours ago, AA7 said:

A huge mess in my age group. Podium placings have now changed three times. Apparently some chips didnt register when crossing the starting mat so athletes were just given the gun time for their wave. I think we'd be naive to think this only happened in this specific age group. 

I saw a few strange results where the chip did not register at certain points so their T1 was about 60-90mins (so included the bike) or T2 was 50-90 mins (so included the run).  

21 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

I went to the USM Noosaville office this morning. No luck. I wonder who picked it up?. Slightly disappointed..🙄

Just because I love numbers:

There were 5403 ind  entrants, of these 4421 started, 4245 finished but 8 were DQ so 4421 official finishers, (167 DNF, 982 DNS).

Yes I was 4421st!  makes the only person to finish in the top 10 and the last 10 at Noosa 😕

Can't believe only 8 DQ  (bet they missed the guy I saw come down the big hill in full tuck in the centre of the slow lane (that is the going uphill slow lane, 1.5 lanes the wrong side of the double white line)

On 04/11/2019 at 2:14 PM, Chuckie M said:

4 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

I went to the USM Noosaville office this morning. No luck. I wonder who picked it up?. Slightly disappointed..🙄

Why were you carrying a spare tyre.  Tubulars are so 1995.  

Lucky the Noosa triathlon wasn't scheduled for a week later. Many roads around Tewantin are closed due to the bushfires, and from what I can gather the course would be closed as it leaves Noosaville. Diversion may have been possible to bypass the danger areas, but I imagine it would have to have been cancelled as emergency services wouldn't have wanted everybody out on the roads anyway.

Smoke would also have been a nightmare.

Thoughts are there for those affected. I have a friend spent the night in a shelter up there last night after being evacuated.

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Lucky the Noosa triathlon wasn't scheduled for a week later. Many roads around Tewantin are closed due to the bushfires, and from what I can gather the course would be closed as it leaves Noosaville. Diversion may have been possible to bypass the danger areas, but I imagine it would have to have been cancelled as emergency services wouldn't have wanted everybody out on the roads anyway.

Smoke would also have been a nightmare.

Thoughts are there for those affected. I have a friend spent the night in a shelter up there last night after being evacuated.

Would've been a nightmare. But of little significance when lives and homes are at risk.

37 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Would've been a nightmare. But of little significance when lives and homes are at risk.

But but but.

"It's all about me!"  said the triathlete told to go home.

I was out on the bike yesterday morning and rode out to Boreen Point. Not a sniff of smoke in the air although you could see the smoke from the fire from Noosa Heads. The place was evacuated yesterday afternoon. Amazing how quickly it turns...

On 02/11/2019 at 10:41 PM, Peter said:

Mark can you point next time please? 💁🏼‍♂️

653C981F-511D-4BE7-9054-8A4A51EC996B.jpeg

Edited by iFoz
  • Haha 2

not that I have to worry about rushing to enter, but I notice that the site has been down most of the morning....

so I don't have long to make up my mind eh?

Currently fence sitting.  I had total FOMO last year when I didn't go, but think it may be all too much to deal with next year...

Just now, SomeTri said:

so I don't have long to make up my mind eh?

Currently fence sitting.  I had total FOMO last year when I didn't go, but think it may be all too much to deal with next year...

Go on, it'd be nice to meet a new trannie :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chuckie M said:

Sold out yet?. Close to 1000 DNS ths year. Capitalism at its best.🤔

I was one of that 1000 and not by choice. 😭

Bad luck buddy with the non start. Would think they could open up some extra spots as withdrawals come through.?. I still hate this entering a year out trend..🤔

• Like 1

So does this mean Noosa doesnt do a waiting list? Serious question, Ive never done Noosa tri

Edited by Surfer

48 minutes ago, Surfer said:

So does this mean Noosa doesnt do a waiting list? Serious question, Ive never done Noosa tri

you can put your name down for a wait list.

• Thanks 1

So let say 5000 individual entries are sold at an average of $300. That's $1.5 million in the bank for the best part of a year. That's some nice interest growth alone. Plue their marketing budget is fairly non-existing due to the short period of time needed to get these results. Based on this I can't see them changing things up anytime soon. Also, the DNS's, I can't see them being released to the general public either (except via waiting list). They want to keep this sense of urgency and exclusivity it's all they really have.

Edited by Paulj13

Just because I'm a number's geek and don't have anything better to do 😀

This year (just individual entries)

4247 Started and Finished

7 DQ

166 DNF

952 DNS

22 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

7 DQ

166 DNF

952 DNS

The 952 DNS were people who couldn't find cheap accommodation  in the area.

2 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

7 DQ

166 DNF

952 DNS

So closer to 1.61 million! Not a bad little bank account to start an event with!

2 hours ago, flathead said:

The 952 DNS were people who couldn't find cheap accommodation  in the area.

Nearly finished computing the next hidden figure - people who entered then (late) cancelled: 273 (ie they were on the entry list and were allocated a chest number but did not proceed to registration ie appear on the results at all).

You might assume these folks got 25% of their $300odd purchase back.

Speaking of conditions of entry that I am not a fan of:

Entry Inclusions

• Race Number
  • Personalised Race Bib
  • Timing Chip
  • Athlete gift inlcuding towel, visor and bag for Noosa Triathlon athletes
  • Medical support/assistance
  • Aid stations on the course (with water, isotonic sports drink, toilets and first aid)
  • Post-event recovery area at the finish area with food and drink
  • Shuttle Bus Services
  • Category Winner Prizes

Try keeping that timing chip they said was "included" in your entry fee (I think it should say "race timing services")

• Like 1