vo2max

Game Changers documentary.

I have just watched the vegan documentary that showed numerous athletes doing very well on a vegan diet.  Are there any vegans or vegetarians on here and if so I would be keen to hear your experiences of your transition to vegan eating.

52 minutes ago, vo2max said:

I have just watched the vegan documentary that showed numerous athletes doing very well on a vegan diet.  Are there any vegans or vegetarians on here and if so I would be keen to hear your experiences of your transition to vegan eating.

There was a big ruckus a few years ago on here and Roxi ended up banning all the Vegans. Not sure if that ban still exists?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I found that doco very Hollywood and little scientific evidence (didn’t watch the whole thing).  My little brother has been a vegan for 5 years and he said the same thing about the doco.

my little bro is very lean although he was always  very lean to start with, he has commented that he always has an abundance of energy although when I talk to him he always sounds lethargic. 
he is racing the blackall 100 tomorrow but is not using vegan nutrition

i know nothing about vegans but what I’ve seen of his diet..........I couldn’t do it

• Like 1

Some Vegans have spray painted shit on the road up Mt Coot-tha where we do reps.

It can't be a good diet, because I was always going too fast at that point to spray paint anything legible on the road.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Never see a documentary on why you should be just be balanced in your diet.  It is always an extremist way.  

Whatever Crowie and Cam Brown do seems to be pretty bloody good.  Neither of them preach on what to eat.  Kiss principle with them.  

• Like 7

On 18/10/2019 at 9:27 PM, vo2max said:

I'm really surprised that this topic didn't get more of a run on here.  But then again, with all the hate and disagreement on here lately I'm not surprised that nobody wanted to out themselves.

I've been eating a largely 'plant based' diet for a while now and am keen on hearing more about what people do for protein and iron etc.  I'm not fanatical about this stuff at all, but I am keen on eating less animal products.  I'm also keen on hearing ideas on what people do for snacks.

I think Go Easy nailed it. This doco wasn’t promoting vegan or vegetarian but plant based. I thought it was a real eye opener and enjoyed it. 

on a side note, I wouldn’t want to run into the host when he was in a bad mood 😳

NSF

• Haha 1

But they didnt do a real comparison other than to junk food. 

you could eat just meat and nothing else and lose weight. 

you could drink just coffee and drop weight. 

comparing against hamburgers and chip is like, no shit. Eating plant based is obviously better. 

diets are like religion.  Do what you want. Just dont tell others what they should do. 

• Like 6

I watched it and while the idea of plant based diet is not new, neither is anything else in the docco. The small sample population that they presented held a minor supporting role in promoting the docco's main theme. There were no real "name" athletes from any of the sports to underline the message, unless you are right into the USA ultra trail running scene. If there is a real message to be delivered on a plant based diet, these guys have missed the mark and squandered a golden opportunity. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Abby herself concludes:

"The Game Changers will convince a lot of people to eat more plants, which I think is fantastic. But using fear mongering and incorrect information to persuade people of something isn’t right or sustainable. 

A plant-based diet is great, but so is a diet that contains some meat. Even the Mediterranean Diet, thought to be one of the healthiest diets on the plant, contains some animal protein.

Do what's best for you."

Like with most things people usually go over the top to promote their own point of view.

FWIW I think the 80 minutes of viewing in 'The Game Changers' is probably worth it.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:08 PM, Go Easy said:

I'm not fanatical about this stuff at all, but I am keen on eating less animal products.  

GE, What is your reasoning, health or environmental. I only ask as its seems to me to be a push from an environmental perspective whenever i hear about it. I don't have enough knowledge on the subject but I am curious. 

PS: Though I am still trying to get me head around the plants being meat substitues ;ie: looks, smells and taste like meat. What are they putting into it to do that... thats the bit that is a touch worrying.

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

GE, What is your reasoning, health or environmental. I only ask as its seems to me to be a push from an environmental perspective whenever i hear about it. I don't have enough knowledge on the subject but I am curious. 

PS: Though I am still trying to get me head around the plants being meat substitues ;ie: looks, smells and taste like meat. What are they putting into it to do that... thats the bit that is a touch worrying.

I'd consider vegan or maybe just fish. I've watched a few docos e.g Food inc and they can be pretty horrifying, like the treatment of cows in large-scale animal processing plants, kept in such conditions, they're constantly sick, fighting infections and so are pumped full of antibiotics. The antibiotics are then found in milk which is absorbed by the local community. And they are getting sicker as they're building up a tolerance to antibiotics... Eating meat and drinking milk from sick animals is what a lot of us are doing on a daily basis. What are we putting in our bodies? That's the issue. We don't actually know. 

God I sound like a vegan. Next thing I will be wearing hemp and changing my name to Lovewand.

The main reason that I eat mainly plant based foods is that I love animals.  Simple as that!

I've never been Vegan or Vegetarian, but after witnessing some pretty bad animal cruelty in farming and animal processing practices I decided that I would limit my meat intake, and where possible I would attempt to have the least impact on the lives of animals as practically possible (Eg, Would eat beef in preference to chicken due to the size of the beast etc).

I'm not overly worried about my health or the environment, but based on my own research (and the views expressed in this documentary) there is evidence to suggest that plant based diets are actually better for both the health of individuals and the environment.

PS: Though I am still trying to get my head around the plants being meat substitues ;ie: looks, smells and taste like meat. What are they putting into it to do that... that's the bit that is a touch worrying.

Yeah, I don't really get the 'meat substitution' bit either.  I enjoy fairly basic food options anyway but with Avocadoes, Beans, Veggies, Legumes and Grains etc there's plenty to chose from if you've got a bit of imagination and don't like plain food.  I haven't got a problem with anyone that does eat meat, but as far as I can tell there's no real 'need' for people to eat meat to survive and be healthy.

40 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

...as far as I can tell there's no real 'need' for people to eat meat to survive and be healthy.

I guess that depends on your access to the alternatives.

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

Yeah, I don't really get the 'meat substitution' bit either.  I enjoy fairly basic food options anyway but with Avocadoes, Beans, Veggies, Legumes and Grains etc there's plenty to chose from if you've got a bit of imagination and don't like plain food.  I haven't got a problem with anyone that does eat meat, but as far as I can tell there's no real 'need' for people to eat meat to survive and be healthy.

True and what Zed says make perfect sense too. I personally aren't a big meat eater as such, but we do have a fairly balanced variety of foods ie: Lamb, chicken and fish. I love my weekly dose of fish (mostly salmon) on the BBQ with a good dose of salt. 

I have recently heard Domino's are going to put out the plant based pizza's. They reckon there doing a pepperoni pizza which is plant bases, but looks, smell and taste like pepperoni. Yikes.

3 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

My experience which is limited to kid’s going through vegetarian phases is the meat substitutes are crap. Either taste bad or so full of chemical flavour, stabilisers and preservatives that you are better off avoiding.

Child numbers two is currently trying Vegetarian for sports performance. Certainly cleaned up his eating which is only a good thing.

2 minutes ago, The Customer said:

There's a much better doco on Netflix right now called The Magic Pill. It's got Tim Noakes in it - nuff said.

Isnt that the guy who wrote books in the 80's advocating carbs are key to performance made money out of it.  Then in 2010 or near said carbs are bad and wrote a book about fat being the key to make more money.

BALANCE

yeah, that's the guy. He speaks from the experience about doing the wrong thing then turning his life around and curing himself of diabetes.

Edited by The Customer

Watched the doco last night, very compelling presentation.

Mirrors what The China Study book covered about plant based diet being better.

What i didn't understand from the Game Changers doco was why so much of what they are was fake meat, eg hamburger patties, cheese. Seem to have the mindset that if you can confuse the brain into thinking it is original food then good to eat.

I’ve not watched the documentary but I am pretty much the same as Go Easy in his thinking.

I was a vegetarian in my late teens and early 20s and then after meeting my wife started eating fish, chicken, and red meat occasionally. Probably ate more meat when we had the kids at home (Spaghetti Bolognaise etc), but now that we are only cooking for ourselves, eat majority plant based with occasional meat products. We eat dairy - full cream milk, yoghurt and cheese and I love honey, so could not be a Vegan.

We don’t eat pork or any processed meat of any kind, and if we are out for dinner and in doubt of what to eat I will go the vegetarian option.

We saw a show on TV about different diets and our eating habits was classed as  Flexitarian, and luckily for me my wife is a great cook.

Also don’t understand the fake meat trend.

Edited by fiftyplus

I thought it was an interesting doco. My wife was was vegan before we got together while I’ve never given it a seconds thought, could be an interesting experiment. 

I especially liked the segment about the errrr “night time” activities. 

More “excitement” during the night, and bigger as well. I said “sweetheart...I must go vegan...just for you”

I got steak for dinner. 

Boom tish....scubasteve exit stage left

• Haha 1

The Compeat Waffle has a podcast on it now. Just started it but in opening presenter Alicia (Advanced Sports Dietitian who has worked at AIS) states it is short of fact but this is some good stuff in it (paraphrased). I look forwarding to hearing the rest of it  

NSF

I listened to Rick Roll interview the founder of ‘impossible meats’. It was fascinating. 

i could t understand why you would spend so much time making a meat copy product - I thought no vegan or vegetarian would want it.

The reason behind the burger is not to offer an alternative to a vegetarian eater, but a sustainable substitute to a meat eater who still wants to eat meat. Some of the statistics surrounding water usage (and we are currently in a drought) land damage and damaging gases surrounding the meat production industry are simply mind boggling. Way more damaging than vehicle based pollutants overall, but not in the limelight.

I strongly suggest listening in to the pod.

It should also be noted that the documentary is produced by James Cameron who is a radical Vegan and has companies which focus on producing vegan products.....

• Like 5

Warning for video, little bit of swearing in it.

Saw this posted, watched the lot and think there is some great things for anyone who has watched Game Changers to consider.  Get back to understanding where your food comes from, the impacts of mono crops such as Corn (Watch Food Inc for more on that one) before thinking you have all the ethics of veganism figured out. 

On 18/10/2019 at 11:27 PM, vo2max said:

I am and I do know some pretty decent athletes in our sport who are also vegan/plantbased.
Just to be clear though being vegan tells you what we don't consume. It doesn't tell you what they do consume.
You can be vegan on a high processed junk food diet or you can be vegan on a whole food plant based diet.
My opinion though is to view food as the way to consume the nutrients we need. Generally we consume for taste/pleasure and cultural normality/conditioning or for an escape, eg emotional eating.

I moved to being vegan after being diagnosed with clinical depression for the second time and I wanted to try and find what steps I could make so what I was experiencing wouldn't continue to be my life. 
I found some research that linked meat and dairy consumption with those who suffer mental health issues. 
I also feel refined sugar and trans fat also play a major role. Basically I have noticed that the more we consume not processed foods the better. 

Changing any habit takes some planning and can be difficult when surrounded by people who pass judgement and make jokes for your efforts to try and grow and evolve as a person. As someone who ate mostly meat and dairy I found it a real challenge at first. I first tried meat free Monday. I started with red meat, then white meat, then eggs, then dairy. 
I had blood tests done to monitor the changes. I have been vegan for almost 3 years. When I'm eating clean whole food plant based I feel great. When I start consuming more processed foods I start to feel average. It can impact my sleep, my thoughts etc. I haven't had depression since though. I found the move empowering but like I said earlier, probably the hardest part is the rest of society, in particular family because this impacts family get togethers as almost all social occasions has food as the centrepiece. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, MackaEvo2 said:

I found the move empowering but like I said earlier, probably the hardest part is the rest of society, in particular family because this impacts family get togethers as almost all social occasions has food as the centrepiece. 

Good stuff MackaEvo2, it really doesn't matter what others say or do, if it works for you then it's worth it.

Great post!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MackaEvo2 said:

I am and I do know some pretty decent athletes in our sport who are also vegan/plantbased.
Just to be clear though being vegan tells you what we don't consume. It doesn't tell you what they do consume.
You can be vegan on a high processed junk food diet or you can be vegan on a whole food plant based diet.
My opinion though is to view food as the way to consume the nutrients we need. Generally we consume for taste/pleasure and cultural normality/conditioning or for an escape, eg emotional eating.

I moved to being vegan after being diagnosed with clinical depression for the second time and I wanted to try and find what steps I could make so what I was experiencing wouldn't continue to be my life. 
I found some research that linked meat and dairy consumption with those who suffer mental health issues. 
I also feel refined sugar and trans fat also play a major role. Basically I have noticed that the more we consume not processed foods the better. 

Changing any habit takes some planning and can be difficult when surrounded by people who pass judgement and make jokes for your efforts to try and grow and evolve as a person. As someone who ate mostly meat and dairy I found it a real challenge at first. I first tried meat free Monday. I started with red meat, then white meat, then eggs, then dairy. 
I had blood tests done to monitor the changes. I have been vegan for almost 3 years. When I'm eating clean whole food plant based I feel great. When I start consuming more processed foods I start to feel average. It can impact my sleep, my thoughts etc. I haven't had depression since though. I found the move empowering but like I said earlier, probably the hardest part is the rest of society, in particular family because this impacts family get togethers as almost all social occasions has food as the centrepiece. 

That’s awesome. Not knocking it as it works for you and the Black Dog is something that has taken too many people I know. 

Do you think there is anything in you focusing on what you are eating may be offset by what you are feeling? 

Cheers

NSF

Being in hospo with vegan options, there has been a clear uptrend in uptake of those options.

Reckon there would be even more uptake of those products if they weren’t labeled vegan on the menu. Still scares some punters off but times are a changing.

(what I mean is that taste should dictate not a label)

Edited by Leon

14 minutes ago, Leon said:

Being in hospo with vegan options, there has been a clear uptrend in uptake of those options.

Reckon there would be even more uptake of those products if they weren’t labeled vegan on the menu. Still scares some punters off but times are a changing.

(what I mean is that taste should dictate not a label)

A good friend of mine has a vegan restaurant and they don't advertise it as Vegan.

Just another restaurant.

Vegans know it's vegan so they go, and non vegans have no clue and enjoy the food

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Notsofast said:

That’s awesome. Not knocking it as it works for you and the Black Dog is something that has taken too many people I know. 

Do you think there is anything in you focusing on what you are eating may be offset by what you are feeling? 

Cheers

NSF

I think its difficult to say one thing is the cause...
I believe in aligned action. By this I mean taking actions that align with my values which also helps me feel good.
I love animals so I don't want to support animal abuse in any way. I care about the environment so an example of this I am taking steps now by trying to do no rubbish and keep any plastics and limit the amount of fuel I use each month. I care about health and wellbeing so research about what I consume is one of those actions but so is reading in general, exercise, meditation, connecting with people and nature, rest, limiting technology etc.

Not sure if that answers your question but there is a bit more on how I try and turn up my light when I feel things are going dark.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1