Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wronggenes

How Did the Trannys go in Kona?

Recommended Posts

Ifoz was a DNS - but he can still play golf??? Tipping he didn’t do enough hill repeats in the rain, soft.......

Prizna ? No idea 

AP - not sure 

Cycos club - didn’t see one kit all day

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prizna a DQ

Gee thats an expensive trip to hawaii for no medal or finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roxii said:

Prizna DQ???

27E87BF9-B9A0-440C-B949-66FFF0F021CB.jpeg

Blobby 11.28.21

 

 

bugger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure did get a DQ. 

Long story of my day as short as possible.

Went in full bravado after sunny coast 4:13, was ready to be cocky as and crush it. I got dealt a crushing blow, swim and rode within plan and walked to a 5+ hour marathon and spent more time on the toilets than I did running.

The DQ, crossed finish line got medal, bead necklace thing and towel. Old dude pulled me aside told me he was head ref and asked explained I'd received a penalty and not stopped. Briefly discussion lead to a few things, my number was clearly written down but bike description was wrong. He was head ref not marshal who did it, we discussed some more he said I could go get the rest of my finisher stuff and go have a feed. Having just done an 11hour + Ironman feeling like a piece of shit I didn't care too much so I said thanks DQ me I'll deal with it after.

I'll flick them an email with my bike photos after i finish holidaying and question then. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, prizna said:

Sure did get a DQ. 

Long story of my day as short as possible.

Went in full bravado after sunny coast 4:13, was ready to be cocky as and crush it. I got dealt a crushing blow, swim and rode within plan and walked to a 5+ hour marathon and spent more time on the toilets than I did running.

The DQ, crossed finish line got medal, bead necklace thing and towel. Old dude pulled me aside told me he was head ref and asked explained I'd received a penalty and not stopped. Briefly discussion lead to a few things, my number was clearly written down but bike description was wrong. He was head ref not marshal who did it, we discussed some more he said I could go get the rest of my finisher stuff and go have a feed. Having just done an 11hour + Ironman feeling like a piece of shit I didn't care too much so I said thanks DQ me I'll deal with it after.

I'll flick them an email with my bike photos after i finish holidaying and question then. 

 

Well done mate sounded like a tough day out there! Had a few WA mates not go so well, hopefully you should get the DQ sorted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, iFoz said:

My golf is rooted too. I’m a DNS for Noosa charity golf day and the Tri. Gutted. But like Kona, I’ve spent a Kings ransom on accommodation, so will still be having the usual five days in Noosa. 

I was the only Cyco to be racing this year.

Trannies I knew racing Kona were Blobby and Newt identified himself during the race when he saw my Tranny cap.

Putting my bucket hat to good use at Akaka Falls  

 

97024E3A-6092-408C-B80B-B31AD51811A9.jpeg

Mate the fact you are there & playing golf with your brother is more impressive to me than racing Kona. I can't stand my brothers & the two hours I'm forced to spend with them on Christmas Day drives me nuts.

Enjoy your holiday.

Surprised there was no Cycos racing this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Surprised there was no Cycos racing this year.

The retirement village wouldn't let them out overnight?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Mate the fact you are there & playing golf

Wasn’t playing, just having a recce walk around Buddha Point.

Peter, the second word is off, you can guess the first 😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re the DQ, don't they shove a card in front of your face with your number on, so that you know you've been pinged?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Re the DQ, don't they shove a card in front of your face with your number on, so that you know you've been pinged?

I think that's the thing, they wrote Prizna's number down & shoved it in front of someone else's face. That guy probably did stop at the penalty box, even though in the end he wouldn't have had to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I think that's the thing, they wrote Prizna's number down & shoved it in front of someone else's face. That guy probably did stop at the penalty box, even though in the end he wouldn't have had to.

I have been busted twice drafting & they were both very clear & direct with the infrigment. They even called the number back to me & I had to confirm the correct number was written down. 

First one I laughed & said damm it took u a while, I have been drafting my ass off. 

The second one, I challenged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who cares, the record books will show a DQ, your wall or whatever at home will have the medal hanging off it.  
 

unless they took it off you I guess.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like they wrote the number down wrong.  In particular if they recorded a description of the bike!  I wonder if someone with a similar number to yours pulled in for a penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, goughy said:

Sounds like they wrote the number down wrong.  In particular if they recorded a description of the bike!  I wonder if someone with a similar number to yours pulled in for a penalty.

Oh please. They don’t write down the bike model. Prizna is full of shit. 

The process is, they say your number and write it down. Then tell you of the infringement and ask you do you understand number blah blah. 

You never write the bike brand down or what someone is wearing.  I was a TO for heaps of years  I never wrote a bike brand down  no one does  

He was drafting. Got busted and got a DQ for not stopping   

Prizna blew a Fark load of cash by  getting a dq. 

He is lucky to be young and not explaining to a wife   

Lucky he is good enough to go back and finish without a dq next time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would they not make u serve the penalty at the finish line. If I was a TO that’s what I would do. 

Unless they abused me then it would be DQ & give me that medal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Peter said:

Oh please. They don’t write down the bike model. Prizna is full of shit. 

So because you never wrote down bike details in local races, how ever many years ago, there is no chance that they might do that now in Kona ???

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob said:

So because you never wrote down bike details in local races, how ever many years ago, there is no chance that they might do that now in Kona ???

I was a TO at 5 Ironmans and about 10 half Ironmans.  

Writing done bike brands was never done by anyone. 

Also its not part Of the process. 

Also the race referee does not wait at the finish line with a list of people who are dq Ed.  There is a race ref booth at all races. 

Also why would someone upload their Strava data so people that see and when questions get asked then delete the file?  

His story stinks in my opinion. 

But as I said, he has heaps of talent and will most likely go back and probably win his age group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Peter said:

But as I said, he has heaps of talent and will most likely go back and probably win his age group. 

Settle down, I’m pretty sure he’s yet to break 3.30 for an IM marathon and it took him a roll-down to punch his ticket this time around 😝

Winning your AG over there is seriously a whole other level.

I have no reason not to believe him - his report was otherwise very honest. Pretty reckless to race over-confident in your first time at Kona but it’s a lesson he’ll hopefully only learn once and he will probably get back there if that’s his goal, roll-down or otherwise 😉

Edited by Hoffy86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Peter said:

I was a TO at 5 Ironmans and about 10 half Ironmans.  

Writing done bike brands was never done by anyone. 

Also its not part Of the process. 

Also the race referee does not wait at the finish line with a list of people who are dq Ed.  There is a race ref booth at all races. 

Also why would someone upload their Strava data so people that see and when questions get asked then delete the file?  

His story stinks in my opinion. 

But as I said, he has heaps of talent and will most likely go back and probably win his age group. 

If I ever want someone stalked I’m calling you Peter! 
 

like hoffy said he wasn’t even a real KQ, so none of this matters 😂😂

I wonder if he shat in every Portaloo on the run course

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Peter said:

Oh please. They don’t write down the bike model. Prizna is full of shit. 

The process is, they say your number and write it down. Then tell you of the infringement and ask you do you understand number blah blah. 

You never write the bike brand down or what someone is wearing.  I was a TO for heaps of years  I never wrote a bike brand down  no one does  

He was drafting. Got busted and got a DQ for not stopping   

Prizna blew a Fark load of cash by  getting a dq. 

He is lucky to be young and not explaining to a wife   

Lucky he is good enough to go back and finish without a dq next time. 

I challenge that. I was a L2 TO for a few years albeit quiet a while ago and just before I finished, we were asked to record a bike description for exactly this purpose. This was last at Port HIM. 

I am not sure if it is still the case though

NSF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Notsofast said:

I challenge that. I was a L2 TO for a few years albeit quiet a while ago and just before I finished, we were asked to record a bike description for exactly this purpose. This was last at Port HIM. 

I am not sure if it is still the case though

NSF

Well I’m guessing my comments are completely wrong and I will make a full apology as soon as his DQ is changed to his finish time on the results page given the evidence he claims and you support. Also once we see the Strava file reposted. 

Until then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still amazing that a “world champs” on that was sponsored by GoPro no less still doesn’t have cameras in TO’s

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, roxii said:

Still amazing that a “world champs” on that was sponsored by GoPro no less still doesn’t have cameras in TO’s

Odd isn't it. I've seen TOs with iphones before filming.  Which is good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blobby said:

Quick report.

1st Kona, via the legacy program.   I would love to think I can qualify via the normal process, however nutritional problems plague the back end of any endurance event - ending in vomiting whether it be IM or long rides.  I spent a number of sessions with Monash Uni having gut tests and sweat tests and we set about a program to resolve the problem over the 6 months leading into Kona.

 

Signed up with TriTravel to do the conditioning tour and had an absolute blast and the whole experience lived up to all the expectations. Had some long sessions on the bike riding up Hawi and back to town and got to experience the brutality of the winds and associated heat challenges.  On this pre-race day ride the wind was ferocious but doable and according to the pro's on Strava indicated that it was a really bad day.  Also did a long run from the run turn around in town all the way out the energy lab, so got to see the entire length of the course which ended up proving to be really valuable come race day.

The race week lead in was awesome, getting to meet so many greats of the sport (Dave, Marc, Paula, Michellie, Cam Wurf etc....) and the functions for the Aussie/NZ team as well as a special nibbles and drink for the Legacy athletes.

Spent a night doing the Manta ray dive and a day driving the island, eating portugese donuts, visit to the volcano, which was a nice break from all the race prep.

Race day

Being the 1st year of the swim waves, meant a very low stress, post check in, got to spend time back in our hotel (Kona Seaside) and watch the earlier wave starts (my start was the last and was 1:05 after the male pro's headed out.  Got to watch the male pro's exit the water before being bundled down the steps into the water to begin the short swim out to the start line.  Whilst I thought there was only going to be 100 legacy athletes in the wave it was much larger and looks like we had just short of 300 athletes starting in this wave.  I started on the right hand side and was quite stunned to see people take off at break neck speed.  Swim is my best leg and had decided to find some feet and just sit in and enjoy the drag.  It was quite a slow pace and tried a few times to go past the feet I was on, only to find that the 2 sets of feet I was following didn't want me to go, so I just dropped back in behind them.  Wasn't long before we were passing the back end of the last of the ladies and the fun of trying to find a good line through the swarm of people. Got a kick from a female that set my watch to transition mode, so from that point on had no idea of the pace.  Arrived back on shore in 1:05:30 which was the end of the range that I expected.  I normally swim around the 55-58 mins and this had been cruisey.

On to the bike and its taken me a few years to learn to ride at a consistent pace and avoid surging and not being able to bring the back end of the ride home.  Just prior to heading over to Kona my PM died and I had to switch to one off the roadie and knowing they are not the same numbers, we decided on a range (20min FTP test in the week before going over and an hour FTP test on the Queen K 1 week pre-race), so we had a new number to work with and a range.  Dave Scott had mentioned a few times that the race doesn't start until the 160km mark of the bike and the 30km mark of the run, so I just settled into a nice comfortable power and focussed on nutrition and ensuring I managed the heat.  The ride out of Kona is slightly uphill before you drop down into Kawaihei, and start the climb to Hawi.  Thoroughly enjoyed this section and got to see my wife and daughter at around the 45km mark (TriTravel take them on a bus out to see us), and was amazed at how much effort people were putting into the ride.  Before turning the corner we got to see the male pro's returning and it was clear that they were flying, but the back few bikes in the lead pack were definitely pushing the draft zone.  The crosswinds across to the base of the climb were strong and then the head wind up the climb.  got to the turnaround, picked up the special needs drink nutrition and started the decent.  The winds were certainly up, but not quite as bad as our training ride, but still there were a few people that had come off.  Took the right hand turn back onto the Queen K and decided it was time to start picking up the pace, and really enjoyed the trip back into town, passing so many people that had pushed to hard earlier.  Managed to put away 8 bottles of fluid plus my 4 bidons, (1.6l litres per hour) so I was confident that my nutrition was on track according to my tests and trials.  Ride time was a very comfortable 5:21:34 and keeping a 13watt differential between AVG pwr and NP (I was planning on this only being around 5, but there was a number of surges down during the day to keep out of draft zones.)

Onto the run and prove the litmus test for the nutrition and up Palani on to Kukini waving to the family before settling into my race rhythm.  Had the pleasure of being passed by Jan as he turned the corner (he at km 41 me at km 1), I gave him a pat on the back and he was gone.  Checking my race pace it was still a little quick (my aim was for around the 6min km) so I started to ease back and then got to see iFoz cheering everyone on outside the Royal Kona.  At the far turnaround I was passed by John Hill and watched him run off, as I continued to find my speed and get used to the heat.  Ran back past iFoz, then my family and walked up Palani to the Queen Q and started the section out to the energy lab.  Around km 15 I could feel my gut starting to misbehave, and had to slow up and ease some burps out, and realised over the next few km, that some walking was going to be required.  Not long after this caught up to Ken Glah who was competing in his 36 Kona, and after a short chat I ran off feeling a little more upbeat.  Not to much further on I ran past John again, his day was done and would be walking it home.  Down into the energy lab, by this stage the sun had gone behind the clouds and the sting of the heat had disappeared, walked a portion of the flat section and the uphill out of the energy lab, Saw a few friends on the return out and wondered how long it would be before the ran past me, but somehow I managed to find some more walk / run on the way back into town and they didn't catch me.  

Walked the final hill up to Palani thinking about the iron war on this very section, and then ran down the hill, into town and across the finish line.  Somehow managed to keep from throwing up but went straight into medical tent and received 2 drips (I had lost 4.5kg).  This was the 1st race that I had manged to keep from throwing up in and keep taking on fluid throughout the run.  Albeit I only managed to ingest 1 cliff chew bar, 2 cups of gatorade, the rest was just water for the entire run leg.  This was not what my nutrition plan was, but it was ll I could do on the day.  Run time was 4:50 which was a little off target but the best I could do on the day.  (Dream was 3:50, with 4:15 being more realistic).

Absolutely loved the whole experience and would love to do this again one day with a bunch of mates once they get there.

Closed out the day with 11:28 and overall place of 1387, not bad for someone who can't qualify. Then got a surprise when a friend mentioned I had won my age group, which was a great laugh.  On the IM tracker the category I started in (last wave is known as the Kukui), and they have age groups for them.  I had won the 50-54 age group.

 

 

 

 

 

Kukui.png

So you’re a world champ. Crack out the rainbow jersey. Don’t forget to mention u won your age group every time you get into an argument or try to prove your point. It’s what any Ass Puppet would do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Peter said:

Well I’m guessing my comments are completely wrong and I will make a full apology as soon as his DQ is changed to his finish time on the results page given the evidence he claims and you support. Also once we see the Strava file reposted. 

Until then. 

Not saying you were wrong about this specific incident, just saying recording the bike make and colour was part of the process at one point 😏

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Notsofast said:

I challenge that. I was a L2 TO for a few years albeit quiet a while ago and just before I finished, we were asked to record a bike description for exactly this purpose. This was last at Port HIM. 

I am not sure if it is still the case though

NSF

23 hours ago, Peter said:

I was a TO at 5 Ironmans and about 10 half Ironmans.  

Writing done bike brands was never done by anyone. 

Also its not part Of the process. 

Also the race referee does not wait at the finish line with a list of people who are dq Ed.  There is a race ref booth at all races. 

Also why would someone upload their Strava data so people that see and when questions get asked then delete the file?  

His story stinks in my opinion. 

But as I said, he has heaps of talent and will most likely go back and probably win his age group. 

As another former L2 TO who TOed during the very short time when Peter was also a TO, I can confirm the standard practice across the country was for the TO handing out the penalty to also write a description, either the bike, the helmet and jersey of the rider etc so we could cross check the penalties if there was a challenge in an event like this.  Therefore I very strongly challenge this 🤐

"5 Ironman and 10 halfs" - As the organiser of Vic TOs during your tenure that is very much beyond an exageration compared to my recollection.  As a senior TO at all of the Melbourne IMs there are lots of other inconsitencies in your story as well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

As another former L2 TO who TOed during the very short time when Peter was also a TO, I can confirm the standard practice across the country was for the TO handing out the penalty to also write a description, either the bike, the helmet and jersey of the rider etc so we could cross check the penalties if there was a challenge in an event like this.  Therefore I very strongly challenge this 🤐

"5 Ironman and 10 halfs" - As the organiser of Vic TOs during your tenure that is very much beyond an exageration compared to my recollection.  As a senior TO at all of the Melbourne IMs there are lots of other inconsitencies in your story as well

I was a TO at Forster in 2004. I raced nz that year.  

I also did as a To Forster half.  Callala half and Canberra half as a to as well. Shep twice  Geelong once  

I was a TO at port IM several time and once at melb. The second year 2013.

i was also a To at busso but not on a bike there. I was a time keeper in the bin.  I was going to race but broke my toe  airfare paid so I volunteered  the super hot year   I even ran the beer mile .  Do I need to produce photos? Ffs  

My side is solid cotteneyes. 

Edited by Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Drafting in Kona? really

Geez you’d be spewing if you were the one scapegoat done for drafting. 

 

I’m with Peter, there’s no way they’ll overturn a DQ. Worth a try, as they took down wrong description so there’s something to stand behind.

I think Prizna would have said if it was drafting though. Maybe he didn’t make it to the porta potty in time and pooed on the bike?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sinking the boot into others when they have a bad race. Or posting in an arrogant manner because you have qualified for Kona etc is risky. Everyone has a bad race and that's when people line up to return the favour. 

Most will just run off & sook and stop posting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TO - bike description yellow, blue & black Felt 2016 model with Ultra 

Athlete - no it's a black, yellow & blue Felt 2017 with durace.  You must have written the wrong number down 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Kenneth said:

Geez you’d be spewing if you were the one scapegoat done for drafting. 

 

I’m with Peter, there’s no way they’ll overturn a DQ. Worth a try, as they took down wrong description so there’s something to stand behind.

I think Prizna would have said if it was drafting though. Maybe he didn’t make it to the porta potty in time and pooed on the bike?

BTW Kenneth - Awesome dog in your profile pic 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Peter said:

 

I was a TO at port IM several time and once at melb. The second year 2013.

 

 

So let's go with the story that you were at IM Melb.  I was the CTO at the first 3 (and very much do not remember you in the crew of any of them - but let's say you were there cause we know you hate being told you are 'mistaken').  

The descriptions were the standard practice then, and during that particular race.  We (RR, ARR and myself) had a few discussions with the athletes not reporting (around the finish line oddly when we could in person, on the phone to those that had already left the finish line to organise catch ups) and used the descriptions from the TO notebooks for the RR to make decisions before issuing DQs.  If the RR was not 100% sure, he did not want to ruin someone's day without absolute certainty.  It was also the standard at Shepparton and Geelong HIMs which I was also in the crews for at various times.  While not travelling to the other Australian races, the RR and ARR from those races did regularly, and we had pretty much standard practices across the country (other than non Qld states in relations to zippers)

So for anyone that was beaten by a deliberate drafting bastard at any of the above races, you can blame Peter for not following the procedures in place and allowing them to get that place on you instead of being DQ'd like they deserved.  

My side is rock 💣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have moved past arguments about how to train, how awesome Wurf is and now debate who is a more credible TO.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kenneth said:

Geez you’d be spewing if you were the one scapegoat done for drafting. 

 

I’m with Peter, there’s no way they’ll overturn a DQ. Worth a try, as they took down wrong description so there’s something to stand behind.

I think Prizna would have said if it was drafting though. Maybe he didn’t make it to the porta potty in time and pooed on the bike?

If they are taking down bike descriptions, then surely he has enough evidence to overturn the DQ? Did they TOs have cameras, it's the world champs. They had them in South Africa for the 70.3 worlds and Busso. I've even seen them in local races. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2019 at 6:56 AM, Peter said:

I will make a full apology as soon as his DQ is changed to his finish time on the results page given the evidence he claims and you support. Also once we see the Strava file reposted. 

Until then. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prizna is a pretty no bullshit guy both in his assessment of himself and others. 
I reckon he’s fair dinkum.

#teamPrizna

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, roxii said:

Prizna is a pretty no bullshit guy both in his assessment of himself and others. 
I reckon he’s fair dinkum.

#teamPrizna

Instagram tells me he's a dog person so he must be O.K

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roxii said:

Prizna is a pretty no bullshit guy both in his assessment of himself and others. 
I reckon he’s fair dinkum.

#teamPrizna

Don't give me your pity, I'm still a dick.

Apologies for the lack of responses I've been off driving bright red convertible vw beetles, drinking beers, swimming with turtles and being a genuine legend.

Thanks for the critique Peter, sorry to read you're full of shit as usual. Fortunately for me I'm in a pretty sweet position where the money wasn't too much of concern. My wife cried for me when I told her I got the DQ. A moment where I realised how much of not just my life went in to the race and everything prior, it's truly not a solo adventure.

Edited by prizna
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, prizna said:

Don't give me your pity, I'm still a dick.

Apologies for the lack of responses I've been off driving bright red convertible vw beetles, drinking beers, swimming with turtles and being a genuine legend.

Thanks for the critique Peter, sorry to read you're full of shit as usual. Fortunately for me I'm in a pretty sweet position where the money wasn't too much of concern. My wife cried for me when I told her I got the DQ. A moment where I realised how much of not just my life went in to the race and everything prior, it's truly not a solo adventure.

Keep the chin up Prizna. I am in awe of what you have achieved as most trannies would be. 

Edited by Prince
because my english was crap...
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, prizna said:

Don't give me your pity, I'm still a dick. 

Hey, don’t put words in my mouth. I never said you weren’t a dick :lol: 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...