roxii

Kona race day thread. Let’s GO!

51 minutes ago, Prince said:

did they finish together?

3 hours ago, Prince said:

pffft. bloody rookie....

I'm assuming Lange stopped to help him up?

The Video Highlights from 2019 race Kona

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, zed said:

did they finish together?

Ran together for most of it i think and finished together

Edited by Prince
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pieman said:

from AB's Instagram

Not finishing wasn’t an option. Congrats on amazing performance @janfrodeno @tointri and @sebastiankienle
Special mention to @lsanderstri for getting me home on the run.
Motivated to come back better.

He will win this race before he’s done

4 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

He will win this race before he’s done

Let’s just get him to qualify first.

7 hours ago, Prince said:

Brownlee is certainly a front of the foot runner. Not very very efficient when running 5-6 minute kms, but I don’t think his twinkle toes style is THAT inefficient if he’s laying down 6 minute miles or better. Which he’s clearly capable of doing. Strength, nutrition and experience will allow him to execute that one day in Kona.

6 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Let’s just get him to qualify first.

Well he’s done it once already, so I don’t see that as too much of an obstacle going forward,

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

Well he’s done it once already, so I don’t see that as too much of an obstacle going forward,

Agree....... but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. 

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

shocking, what exactly has he done here?

He accidentally bumped Frodo as he staggered through a crowded finish line. ST was in uproar..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:15 AM, BarryBevan said:

shocking, what exactly has he done here?

Didn't you see the video. His actions reek of arrogance IMHO> Plus... just never liked the guy.

Edited by IronmanFoz

39 minutes ago, Prince said:

wtf? age grouper?  surely not

I can’t see how it could be an age grouper. 

Also I love how brownlee had started limping like sanders.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

And he was a big unit.

Yeah, he was a big unit. Either that or AB and LS are little blokes.

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Didn't you see the video. His actions reek of arrogance IMHO> Plus... just never liked the guy.

a tiny minor bump and he's arrogant. you must hate cameron wurf then

53 minutes ago, Peter said:

I can’t see how it could be an age grouper. 

The fastest AG did 8:35, so if it was an AG passing them, he must have blown pretty bad at the end.

25 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The fastest AG did 8:35, so if it was an AG passing them, he must have blown pretty bad at the end.

and M-PRO had a 30 min headstart over the first AG wave. Can't be an AG athlete

3 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

And he was a big unit.

If the big unit was an Age Grouper he’s have been well on his way to something like a 7:55 finish, given where AB and Lionel ended up finishing.

It shouldn’t be too hard to identify a male pro built like Jason Shortis who ended up finishing around about 15th to 21st.

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

It shouldn’t be too hard to identify a male pro built like Jason Shortis who ended up finishing around about 15th to 21st.

18th KRISTIAN HOGENHAUG

Edited by Tyno
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Aidan said:

and M-PRO had a 30 min headstart over the first AG wave. Can't be an AG athlete

Thx

13 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

a tiny minor bump and he's arrogant. you must hate cameron wurf then

Not.yet...........................

36 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Not.yet...........................

So it’s because he’s English. Which is entirely reasonable given wurf is way more arrogant 

6 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

So it’s because he’s English. Which is entirely reasonable given wurf is way more arrogant 

Wurf has a personality.... He knows what he is doing. Brownlee reminds me of Andy Murray (Tennis). 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Wurf has a personality.... He knows what he is doing. Brownlee reminds me of Andy Murray (Tennis). 

Fark I hate agreeing with you, but you’ve nailed it 100%. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

So it’s because he’s English.

34 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Brownlee reminds me of Andy Murray (Tennis).

Yes. :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I never knew Murray was caught up in a massacre as a child. 16 kids murdered & a school teacher. 

Dunblane

3 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Andy is Scottish and a git

You couldn't get two more different people than Murray and Brownlee. I've warmed to Murray since learning a bit more about him. He constantly corrects interviewers who refer to him as 'English' and is outspoken about the achievements of women in sport.

"While participating in the Rio Olympics in 2016, Murray was interviewed by broadcaster John Inverdale who congratulated the tennis player on becoming “the first person ever to win two Olympic tennis gold medals”.

Murray promptly corrected Inverdale with regards to his statement, pointing out that Serena and Venus Williams had both achieved the feat before him."

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/women/andy-murray-wimbledon-2019-feminist-moments-equal-pay-sexism-women-serena-williams-a8996971.html

Edited by The Customer

3 minutes ago, The Customer said:

I've warmed to Murray since learning a bit more about him. He constantly corrects interviewers who refer to him as 'English' and is outspoken about the achievements of women in sport.

"While participating in the Rio Olympics in 2016, Murray was interviewed by broadcaster John Inverdale who congratulated the tennis player on becoming “the first person ever to win two Olympic tennis gold medals”.

Murray promptly corrected Inverdale with regards to his statement, pointing out that Serena and Venus Williams had both achieved the feat before him."

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/women/andy-murray-wimbledon-2019-feminist-moments-equal-pay-sexism-women-serena-williams-a8996971.html

That is commendable (not being sarcy). He did moan a lot on the court and he was a hibs fan who wanted to play for Rangers, but that is good giving credit to the Williams sisters. Had also forgotten he was at Dunblane.

A quick recap: For his first Hawaiian Ironman Alistair Brownlee:

1. Put himself in the race winning selection and tried to at least do some work at the front;

2. Rode back to that elite group after swapping out his front wheel (when the prudent play may have been to sit up and allow himself to be absorbed by the Wurf group);

3. Had a bit of a dig at Frodo for not waiting for him to get back on. In retrospect this does seem a bit silly given that it’s not a group sport and Frodo didn’t seem to know anything about Brownlee swapping out his wheel, but at least that shows that he’s a racer at heart;

4. Got off bike and smacked down sub 6 minute mile along Ali drive still going for the win;

5. When he inevitably blew up he still ran-jogged to the end as best he could, when he always had to option of walking ‘to honour the race’ or pulling out altogether.

What’s not to love about all that? Going for the win from the gun, racing as hard as he could, even after he blew up big time. 

He’s far better for the sport than the little sniveller. His debut race was not as prudent (or boring) as Gomez’s. He made himself a factor in the race for over 6 hours. Good.

Go AB!

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 1

I think from a “learning” point of view I think it’s the wisest way to go about it. Race as far and as long as you can. Pulling the pin and waking it in may be better for the body but this way the knockers can’t have a dig at him for not finishing / respecting the race 

26 minutes ago, roxii said:

I think from a “learning” point of view I think it’s the wisest way to go about it. Race as far and as long as you can. Pulling the pin and waking it in may be better for the body but this way the knockers can’t have a dig at him for not finishing / respecting the race 

There are still a sizeable portion of knockers out there, even on the bludger community too - sacrebleu, all lining up to give AB a whack though ...

Just imagine how feral the knockers would be if he had won! 

How long did AB have a semi-flat for? If it was low enough for Frodo to notice it and he went a decent way with it, it would have taken a lot of him.

2 minutes ago, zed said:

How long did AB have a semi-flat for? If it was low enough for Frodo to notice it and he went a decent way with it, it would have taken a lot of him.

Maybe Frodo was playing with his mind. He put in a big effort for a while, saw AB was starting to find the going tough in the heat, and told him he had a flat. Ab figured that must be why he was finding it so hard, so believed him.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Maybe Frodo was playing with his mind. He put in a big effort for a while, saw AB was starting to find the going tough in the heat, and told him he had a flat. Ab figured that must be why he was finding it so hard, so believed him.

I’d just love it, if that was true: Frodo’s use of ‘the force’ created an illusion of a flat in AB’s mind: I can just imagine him in long robes raising two fingers in front of a squad of stormtroopers and saying “these are not the droids we are looking for” ...lol 

Edited by Andrew #1

3 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Just imagine how feral the knockers would be if he had won! 

Not me....... i don’t knock him, I just don’t like him.......though he is still an amazing athlete. His record speaks for itself.

if he had won I would give him the respect he deserves that’s it. The rest of the knockers would jump on the AB band wagon....... not me ... I don’t jump on anyone’s bandwagon. I don’t even follow any of the pros on any sort of feed. 

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But he did have a flat.

Just now, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Did you see it?

No. He swapped his wheel out. He wouldn't have got off his bike swapped the wheel without feeling it go flat as he rode and also when he got off he would have tested the pressure. 26 years of racing, I don't think he's going to change his wheel because a competitor said it was flat!?

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Did you see it?

No one did! They name a beer after it...... it’s a Furphy!

6 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

No one did! They name a beer after it...... it’s a Furphy!

Well I guess we assume he had a flat or issue with his rear wheel as it was different.

2 hours ago, zed said:

No. He swapped his wheel out. He wouldn't have got off his bike swapped the wheel without feeling it go flat as he rode and also when he got off he would have tested the pressure. 26 years of racing, I don't think he's going to change his wheel because a competitor said it was flat!?

They said he swapped wheels but I looked and he had the same wheel going out and coming back into town. 

I saw in the footage he stopped. But he didn’t swap wheels. He got back on very fast too. 

Im with ex.  He never had a puncture. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

They said he swapped wheels but I looked and he had the same wheel going out and coming back into town. 

I saw in the footage he stopped. But he didn’t swap wheels. He got back on very fast too. 

Im with ex.  He never had a puncture. 

That'd explain the shoulder check after the finish line too. ;)

• Like 1