roxii

Kona race day thread. Let’s GO!

Just now, The Customer said:

Love to know happened to Ryf this time. She looked very good leading in to this race.

Batteries seemed to run out on the bike.

22 minutes ago, Peter said:

I can’t wait to revisit the brownlee thread. 

Guessing the heat got to him. 

No doubt we will all have the answers.... lol

for me: Wurf doing Italy 3 weeks out probably needs to be revisited.... plus... need to get off social media. Looks a bit embarrassing now.

Brownlee.....needs 3 more years at this .......it wasn’t even hot.

4 minutes ago, The Customer said:

In English?

Nether was Welch! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

for me: Wurf doing Italy 3 weeks out probably needs to be revisited.... plus... need to get off social media. Looks a bit embarrassing now.

Wurf, who finished 5th Wurf????

Totes embarrassing .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

No doubt we will all have the answers.... lol

Brownlee.....needs 3 more years at this .......it wasn’t even hot.

Wurf 5th is awesome.  

Given he was by armchair experts exhausted by doing Italy, that’s a great result over all the other fresh guy.  

But brownlee. Oops. 

Sanders where expected on his limited training. 

46F41995-6D55-456C-BA57-5CC2EF4BD682.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Wurf, who finished 5th Wurf????

Totes embarrassing .

Agreed. Best result he's got, by far. He may have been a couple minutes quicker, maybe.

Could he have won without doing Italy, still don't think so, not the way Frodo raced.

• Like 2

Wow what guts from Lucy.  

Crowley looks horrible 

Just now, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Agreed. Best result he's got, by far. He may have been a couple minutes quicker, maybe.

Could he have won without doing Italy, still don't think so, not the way Frodo raced.

Agree. No one was beating jan today.  He was super. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Well done sarah

No love for Lucy? Why are you so bitter Grinchy?

• Confused 2

Anyone know why Jan is in such a grumpy mood? Should be on top of the world, but apparently dissing Wurf at finish line and having a shoving match with AB later! 

• Like 1

Cycling doper Alexandre Vinokourov for the win in 45-49 AG

4 minutes ago, Russ72 said:

Anyone know why Jan is in such a grumpy mood? Should be on top of the world, but apparently dissing Wurf at finish line and having a shoving match with AB later! 

Didn't see the shoving match...but I saw him hugging Wurf at the finish line so not sure about the dissing?

R

Just now, dazmuzza said:

Didn't see the shoving match...but I saw him hugging Wurf at the finish line so not sure about the dissing?

Just reading it on twits, there seems to be a bit anti Wurf sentiment going on tho

Just come inside for some water and a break to catch up on this thread as all my athletes are outbound towards Queen K.

Stood at the end of the Kona Reef aid station all the run leg, watching them all enter and leave the Alii leg.

In the flesh, Haug looked outstanding, a class above everybody else. I would call these perfect run conditions. Cairns and Langkawi has been way more oppressive. I hope it's not this easy when I get to come back(?)!! :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, iFoz said:

Just come inside for some water and a break to catch up on this thread as all my athletes are outbound towards Queen K.

Stood at the end of the Kona Reef aid station all the run leg, watching them all enter and leave the Alii leg.

In the flesh, Haug looked outstanding, a class above everybody else. I would call these perfect run conditions. Cairns and Langkawi has been way more oppressive. I hope it's not this easy when I get to come back(?)!! :)

Not to worry. It’s sure to be the hottest and windiest ever when you come back in!

25 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

How the podium should look. Top 3. None of this top 5 crap

2B15B6F3-D0BE-48FF-99EE-01E5A2BAD5A2.png

They actually do top 10 at the presentations tomorrow night (I'm pretty sure).

Folk have been arguing that Wurf May have lost a step because he raced in Italy 3 ago. That makes sense, but I wonder whether his bike has suffered a couple of % because he has sacrificed the bike training volume (and also some swimming) to ensure that he could put in those back to back 100km+ run weeks this year. 

A 4:14 split isn’t anything to be ashamed of, given that it was the fastest of all the athletes to actually finish the race, but maybe a few minutes slower for those conditions than he could have expected.

That said, Wurf’s performance is genuine progression: he’s actually improved 11 minutes on the marathon for each year he’s raced as a pro in Kona: 3:17 in 2016, 3:06 in 2018 and 2:55 today. Next year he should run 2:44 😂 

• Like 2

Amazing from Lucy to get overtaken and pushed to 3rd place, and then come back and repass Sarah to take back 2nd.

Absolutely mental.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Russ72 said:

Wurf tried to congratulate Frodo and patted him on the back 3 or 4 times, Frodo just dismissively looked away every time. I thought ouch, maybe Frodo is a bit sensitive to online commentary by Wurf, which is usually delivered in jest.

But then I watched Currie, or was it the next guy, also congratulate hm, and he was equally 'preoccupied' ... possibly just exhausted.

Wurf's 5th place was sensational, especially in that field (whoever said he should be "embarrassed" should be embarrassed at their own keyboard commmentary)

Just now, nealo said:

Just getting caught up on all this now, thanks for the banter and updates. 

Same here, Ive been reading this while having a late lunch. Thanks for a fun read 

• Like 1

This is AB bumping into Frodo, at about 25 secs

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Russ72 said:

1 hour ago, dazmuzza said:

Right after this Frodo was a prick to wurf.  I missed the screen shot. 

But then I saw him do the same with a few other. 

Also when he was running about to enter the energy lab he was complaining to the camera guys and throwing his arms in the air.  Nowhere near an aide station. Was weird. 

Something isn’t right. I guess we will find out in a few months. 

D5424FE1-67E9-4B9A-9CFC-E6F6C725F7FF.png

• Like 1

Lionel came 22nd. He actually was doing pretty good until the second half of the run. For someone with such a disrupted 2019, I thought he did pretty well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

So is it safe to say Ironman Hawaii is all about the bike. 

no, all about the Germans

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, AA7 said:

This is AB bumping into Frodo, at about 25 secs

Wow that was pretty full on!! 

9 minutes ago, more said:

Wow that was pretty full on!! 

I am thinking Brownlee was just mucking around.