BogFrog

Breakfast / post training protein

I have a bad habit of not eating for about 2 hours after I train in the morning (I get back, have a shower, get ready for work, get to work, turn on laptop, have tea, THEN have breakfast)  No surprise I'm not recovering very well from hard workouts.  I've also realised that my breakfasts probably don't have enough protein.  I thought my yoghurts (Vaalia) were high in protein, but they only pack 7g. I know an egg has about 6g, but I can't have 3 of those everyday.  Without resorting to protein shakes, how do you get the protein in straight after a workout?

2 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I have a bad habit of not eating for about 2 hours after I train in the morning (I get back, have a shower, get ready for work, get to work, turn on laptop, have tea, THEN have breakfast)  No surprise I'm not recovering very well from hard workouts.  I've also realised that my breakfasts probably don't have enough protein.  I thought my yoghurts (Vaalia) were high in protein, but they only pack 7g. I know an egg has about 6g, but I can't have 3 of those everyday.  Without resorting to protein shakes, how do you get the protein in straight after a workout?

My go to breakfast every morning is 1 cup of oats, scoop of vanilla protein powder, half an avocado or a banana/blue berries, milk or almond milk and blend it up in a nutri bullet. Love it and ticks all of the boxes. Shits me when I travel for work and I cant have this for breaky.

26 minutes ago, more said:

My go to breakfast every morning is 1 cup of oats, scoop of vanilla protein powder, half an avocado or a banana/blue berries, milk or almond milk and blend it up in a nutri bullet. Love it and ticks all of the boxes. Shits me when I travel for work and I cant have this for breaky.

Same (pretty much). I used to scoff down 10 weetbix and still be hungry. Since changing to nutri-bullet shakes with protein it lasts me until 11am or so. Other sources of protein are boiled eggs and almonds for munching on during the day.

I’m no nutrition expert though - maybe see a dietician.

• Like 1

should probably have carbs immediately after a workout, to replenish glycogen. 

Have protein later is my understanding. 

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

I know an egg has about 6g, but I can't have 3 of those everyday.

Why not? 

Eggs are fine. I eat usually 4 a day. Sports dietitian and GP both have no concerns. Had a blood test recently and no issues. 

Otherwise, just get some high quality protein powder and drink with milk and you'll be right. 

Edit - only just read the bit about no shakes.Try a higher protein yoghurt like chobani (I think they're higher). Otherwise you're going to need something like meat or eggs or vege equivalents. 

1 hour ago, more said:

I like the sound of this and will steal the recipe.

Edited by dazmuzza

7 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I like the sound of this and will steal the recipe.

Get the quick cut oats-is already chopped up and blends easier :) 

8 hours ago, Prince said:

For men maybe, research is showing women need protein...

OK, protein powder comes up a lot...  Is this considered a "supplement" that could contain these banned substances?  Also, I know there are different types - I've heard "whey" - are there others? What's the difference?

8 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

OK, protein powder comes up a lot...  Is this considered a "supplement" that could contain these banned substances?  Also, I know there are different types - I've heard "whey" - are there others? What's the difference?

No, not from Australia anyway. Check out bulknutrients..com.au been using them for years, cheap and tastes awesome. 

Difference in whey types is basically just the % of protein. Whey is the highest but also the most expensive. Concentrate is fine for most purposes. 

Tray of ice, 1 banana, 1 egg, 2 medjool dates, however much almond milk you desire, teaspoon of cinnamon, teaspoon of gelatin, blend in nitro bullet, gets me through to noon easily after having this at 0400.  No idea of its protein or carb amounts though.

I avoid any protein powders that are flavoured and claim to be 'sugar free' as they are bound to contain artificial sweeteners, such as sucralose. I used to use one called Red Mill which was tasteless and very natural. I could flavour it however I wanted with honey and banana etc. Makes no sense to ingest something for 'health' purposes that contains artificial anything.

Kodiak cake pancake mix from Costco 21g of protein if made with milk and an egg. Banana and some yoghurt on top and getting some carbs as well

9 hours ago, The Customer said:

I avoid any protein powders that are flavoured and claim to be 'sugar free' as they are bound to contain artificial sweeteners, such as sucralose. I used to use one called Red Mill which was tasteless and very natural. I could flavour it however I wanted with honey and banana etc. Makes no sense to ingest something for 'health' purposes that contains artificial anything.

The amount is so miniscule that it really doesnt matter.  People who eat restaurants consume more artificial shit then anyone.  We breathe polluted air all the time, so should we not breathe

Edited by Fitness Buddy
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Just make sure you get protein that has had batch testing to prove it is banned substance-free. Musashi, and (I think) bulk nutrients do this. The difference in protein types can be the various amino acid profiles, absorption, and base ingredients (e.g. if you are lactose intolerant you'd not select a whey protein)

23 hours ago, Prince said:

I'd go protein earlier and carb depending on length of completed workout and what you have on the next 24 hours.

1 hour ago, Cat Lady said:

I’d not be taking any protein supplements after reading this 

https://www.asada.gov.au/news/blog-1-5-supplements-tainted-banned-substances

as per the report you've linked to, the risk is negligible when you select a protein that's batch tested.

On 04/10/2019 at 10:17 AM, BogFrog said:

Maybe look at BCAA powder? You can mix it into a drink bottle and I find it very palatable after a workout when I can't face eating. Just make sure you wash out the drink bottle afterwards!

• Like 1

Dont mind the idea of BCCA, just don't know which one though. Am similar to bogfrog.

1 hour ago, Merv said:

Dont mind the idea of BCCA, just don't know which one though. Am similar to bogfrog.

You need one with flavour added, they are the epitome of bitterness otherwise

the bulk nutrients ones have been good for me. I also mix a bit in to gel flasks for long course racing at 4-8g/hour, some evidence it delays fatigue  

4 hours ago, Aidan said:

Just make sure you get protein that has had batch testing to prove it is banned substance-free. Musashi, and (I think) bulk nutrients do this.

How do you know that it has had bath testing?  Is it listed on the box?

On 04/10/2019 at 10:17 AM, BogFrog said:

Do what you are doing but mix up raw eggs with your yoghurt to tolerance level.

Don’t reinvent the wheel, just go old school raw egg. 

12 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Why "raw" egg? Yuck! Any benefit?  I like 'em cooked...  And can't do it everyday  Need variety

More protein in a cooked egg then raw.  Wasnt really talking about the benefits of raw v cooked... more just how to get more protein in a  normal diet without trying to hard.  Drop a raw egg on can mix, drop a cooked egg in, good luck.....

Drop one in... stir...  get use to it, do again etc.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

The amount is so miniscule that it really doesnt matter.  People who eat restaurants consume more artificial shit then anyone.  We breathe polluted air all the time, so should we not breathe

What brand are you peddling these days?