Notsofast

Nepean 2019

Hi all,

I am in for my second ever Oly (first at Nepean). I have raced WS70.3 a couple of times so reasonably familiar with the course. 

Last year 70.3 was a wetsuit swim for the first time. What are the chances of a wetty swim this year?

Cheers

NSF

Firstly Nepean isn't an Olympic. Secondly, wettie swim currently looking good with current water temp of 15 degrees at 1.2m according to regatta website

• Thanks 1

Also a completely different bike - it’s through the industrial suburb next door - great fun with lots of 90° corners, but not as fast as WS70.3

26th and 27th October. Enticers and kids on the 26th in the afternoon, club distance in the morning of the 27th.

I'll be there as a TO in training, our course is in the morning and I'll be doing field of play in the afternoon and the next morning. If the fiance is uninjured (he hurt his arm in Berlin on a E-Bike), he will do the enticer.

• Like 1

I'm in. Just started training this week after four weeks off.

First one was in the early nineties - swimming in the river, riding 40 kms including the freeway and a bloody hard 12 km hill run.

Looking forward to catching up with a few of you (not Greenpeace though).

FM

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Flanman said:

First one was in the early nineties - swimming in the river, riding 40 kms including the freeway and a bloody hard 12 km hill run.

Yup the good old days....1990 edition was my first Tri....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Flanman said:

I'm in. Just started training this week after four weeks off.

Looking forward to catching up with a few of you (not Greenpeace though).

FM

Nepean was the first race I traveled interstate for back in about '86. Overnight bus to Sydney, early arrival & train to Penrith, then start the race an hour later. Just enough time to put the bike together. Then back on the train, and back in Sydney in time to get the bus home. I honestly don't know how I did it in those days.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Firstly Nepean isn't an Olympic. Secondly, wettie swim currently looking good with current water temp of 15 degrees at 1.2m according to regatta website

Wow, thanks BF, I hadn’t checked and thought it was an Oly 😂😂. I am usually very well researched on this type of thing (a mate said do you want to come and I said yeah, why not). You have made me a very happy man, my training has been very sparotic at best. 

No need to swim in the morning now 😎

Anyway, thanks for water temp. Better purchase that new wetty now

Cheers

NSF

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Flanman said:

Yep, I did it in 1994 and it was one of the first races I ever did.  I had a great time and it was the first time I came across the amazing Ched Towns.  Have made the 10 hour round trip to race there several times since then.

Won't be there this year, but hope everyone has a great race!

• Like 2

On 03/10/2019 at 6:39 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Nepean was the first race I traveled interstate for back in about '86. Overnight bus to Sydney, early arrival & train to Penrith, then start the race an hour later. Just enough time to put the bike together. Then back on the train, and back in Sydney in time to get the bus home. I honestly don't know how I did it in those days.

Did that a time or two, into Roma St at 6:30 and then at work at 7:30 (those were hard days,  esp after a 52 min (had a cold) city to surf )

IMPORTANT INFO FOR THIS WEEKEND...….

"WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN A SIGNIFICANT COMMUNITY GRANT FROM PANTHERS PENRITH. PLEASE MAKE AN EFFORT TO GET TO THE LEAGUES CLUB ON THE SATURDAY AND PICK UP YOUR PACK.

Sunday: There will be a limited opportunity to register on the Sunday morning. This opportunity is limited to those who cannot reasonably register on Saturday at Panthers. Registration is in the large white marquee on your right just after you have crossed the bridge. "

Make sure you read the info:- 

https://nepeantriathlon.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Instructions-Nepean-2019.pdf

FM

Edited by Flanman

53 minutes ago, Flanman said:

IMPORTANT INFO FOR THIS WEEKEND...….

"WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN A SIGNIFICANT COMMUNITY GRANT FROM PANTHERS PENRITH. PLEASE MAKE AN EFFORT TO GET TO THE LEAGUES CLUB ON THE SATURDAY AND PICK UP YOUR PACK.

Sunday: There will be a limited opportunity to register on the Sunday morning. This opportunity is limited to those who cannot reasonably register on Saturday at Panthers. Registration is in the large white marquee on your right just after you have crossed the bridge. "

Make sure you read the info:- 

https://nepeantriathlon.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Instructions-Nepean-2019.pdf

FM

👍🏼  All over it now. Thanks FM

Anyone else in?

NSF

• Like 1

On 03/10/2019 at 3:19 PM, Flanman said:

FM

On 04/10/2019 at 4:43 AM, Go Easy said:

Yep, I did it in 1994 and it was one of the first races I ever did.  I had a great time and it was the first time I came across the amazing Ched Towns.  

I remember those days, I think I was there in 1994 too. My first run over 10km and I wore brand new shoes - my blisters were so bad I had to buy clogs to wear to work 😁 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Notsofast said:

👍🏼  All over it now. Thanks FM

Anyone else in?

NSF

Mr and Mrs Flower are in. We are Not registering on Saturday afternoon. Not keen on a long drive on Saturday. Need to rest up to make sure I can beat Flanman

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For people outside of NSW, this is one of the best races on the Australian calendar and you should make every attempt to do it one day.

The 70.3 the weekend before and then this the week after.  Family holiday in Sydney. 

Pencil it in for the future.

• Like 4

Looking at the pro start list that TA have mentioned, this will be a nice pay day for some up and comers as other than Natalie Vancoeverdon no other big names are racing this year. Olympic points chasing has kept most overseas until next week. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

For people outside of NSW, this is one of the best races on the Australian calendar and you should make every attempt to do it one day.

The 70.3 the weekend before and then this the week after.  Family holiday in Sydney. 

Great tip, Peter.

I would add for people staying the week to base themselves in the Blue Mountains. No end of fun up there.

• Like 3

The 70.3 is on 24 November. Nepean race gives you a great lead up and four weeks great training. 
FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1

Oh sorry I thought they were a week apart. Oops. 

9 hours ago, Peter said:

Only if it has improved a heap since last time I went (one of the few events I have never been back too).

It was the first tri I ever did about 6 years ago and I did it 3 years in a row I think. The hubby dud it last year and I went as a spectator - it was pretty dead. Very little atmosphere although the conditions were perfect for racing. Disappointing to see

12 hours ago, Peter said:

edFor people outside of NSW, this is one of the best races on the Australian calendar and you should make every attempt to do it one day.

I second this. Big fan.... backing up for No28. Missed 3 :(.

Its going to hurt.... frozen shoulder and stuff hammy! But who cares. Just love doing supporting Nepean.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Trier said:

Looking at the pro start list that TA have mentioned, this will be a nice pay day for some up and comers as other than Natalie Vancoeverdon no other big names are racing this year. Olympic points chasing has kept most overseas until next week. 

The big names are in Noosa next week.  Normally there's more of a gap which allows the likes of Ash Gentle to do both

There's a world cup race in Japan today as well

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The big names are in Noosa next week.  Normally there's more of a gap which allows the likes of Ash Gentle to do both

There's a world cup race in Japan today as well

I'll be in Noosa - not a big name though, only three letters....

• Haha 1

I’ll be at Nepean, hiding from Greenpeace. Say hello if you see me - old Trannie hat. Also, will be wearing an old top in the morning. Gee, time passes fast. 
FM

A0E43336-C06F-4E7D-B6FB-B55228EEA5B3.jpeg

ACE7598E-CB6A-4898-B1FA-5B99D982575F.jpeg

I’m in 

just got back from rego and I’m excited

race plan - swim as fast as I can

ride as fast as I can

run as fast as I can

catch up with flannie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clappers said:

catch up with flannie

I am off on an early wave so you'll kick my butt fairly early. See you out there.

FM

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flanman said:

I’ll be at Nepean, hiding from Greenpeace. Say hello if you see me - old Trannie hat. Also, will be wearing an old top in the morning. Gee, time passes fast. 
FM

A0E43336-C06F-4E7D-B6FB-B55228EEA5B3.jpeg

ACE7598E-CB6A-4898-B1FA-5B99D982575F.jpeg

Is that from when triathlon was hard cos you had to do  butterfly? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Do they still have two-way traffic in the swim.....

nothing like leading a swim wave only to find 1/2 the field on the wrong side of the course (who after smashing heads with the ppl  doing the correct thing then just turn around and head back)

Great race today. The highlight being me and Flanman being the last two standing for the major prize in the Lucky Draw. Lucky for me I was the last one standing :-). I had a solid race with a 2:00:41. Would have liked to do 42 seconds faster. I was 6th in my age group and Mrs F was 5th in her age group, so the Flower people were very happy at the end of the day. Thanks for all the support out there. Great to see other Tranny's racing. But most of all a big thank you to the organisers. They are all volunteers. Not an event company. Can't think of many triathlons of this size and importance still put on by just volunteers. We need to keep supporting them and their sponsors.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, trifun said:

Do they still have two-way traffic in the swim.....

nothing like leading a swim wave only to find 1/2 the field on the wrong side of the course (who after smashing heads with the ppl  doing the correct thing then just turn around and head back)

No. It is in the regatta. So plenty of space in the out and back. There are also little buoys every 10 metres to guide the way. The only trouble is that sometimes you cop a little buoy in the noggin (can I say that these days).

28 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

But most of all a big thank you to the organisers. They are all volunteers. Not an event company. Can't think of many triathlons of this size and importance still put on by just volunteers. We need to keep supporting them and their sponsors.

Totally agree. Great day out for everyone. 

if I had to pick one thing to improve I would suggest a secure baggage area with race numbers on bags that are checked out. 

Thanks to all organisers and vollies. Great job. 

I will be back next year. 

NSF

Edited by Notsofast
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Trier said:

who were the podium athletes in the pro fields?

We are not sure. They said there were protests to be dealt with.

Edited by Mr Flower

20 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Na early 90,s was way harder 😂

Is that why you don't show up anymore? 😋

• Haha 1

Yes, a great organised event - local and proud. The best value for money race I know of. Heaps of lucky door prizes and an excellent pro purse. 

And yes, the "Flowers" came out on top for the day. Not only having great races but both scoring lucky draw prizes. 

Great to see a lot of Trannies out there, including GregB and Miss Jess looking after us in transition.

FM

• Like 2

#20 yesterday 

Great day for it - not too hot and not too windy.   Despite not being in great form I was able to hold off Foz, which is always important  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a good time 

met up with MJ the TA

I want to do it again so I just signed up for the Hills sprint on Sun 10th

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clappers said:

I had a good time 

You must have left early. I tried to find you near the Mac Tri mob but couldn't see you.

Congrats on the comeback.

FM

• Thanks 1

On 28/10/2019 at 12:44 PM, IronJimbo said:

#20 yesterday 

Great day for it - not too hot and not too windy.   Despite not being in great form I was able to hold off Foz, which is always important  😄

Damn lucky I was in bad form..... but extremely happy how I went given a number of niggles going on. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the story was with the protests for the podium? I heard that something was pending as I was leaving?

NSF

3 hours ago, Notsofast said:

Does anyone know what the story was with the protests for the podium? I heard that something was pending as I was leaving?

NSF

There’s no protest Nat Van Coevorden won 

11 hours ago, Clappers said:

There’s no protest Nat Van Coevorden won 

I was taking to a TO on the way out and they suggested a protest was being discussed in relation to the winners. He didn’t elaborate but I have since heard rumours (and maybe that’s all they are) that a few of the leading males may have cut course short??

Anyway, doesn’t matter. Winners have been awarded. 

NSF

55 minutes ago, Notsofast said:

I was taking to a TO on the way out and they suggested a protest was being discussed in relation to the winners. He didn’t elaborate but I have since heard rumours (and maybe that’s all they are) that a few of the leading males may have cut course short??

Anyway, doesn’t matter. Winners have been awarded. 

NSF

I don't know the real answer but here is my take on the protest.... One of the guys who lives near me is in the 35-39 age group. Awesome athlete and wins his age group most events. His finishing time put him at 3rd overall. 

When I looked at the splits I thought it was strange as I swam 18:59 for a swim I thought was long.  And he swam 10:00 flat. I thought how can this be....

As we were driving home his swim was adjusted to 15:46 from 19:00 and he went from 3rd place to 13th..... so this may have been the reason.

11 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I don't know the real answer but here is my take on the protest.... One of the guys who lives near me is in the 35-39 age group. Awesome athlete and wins his age group most events. His finishing time put him at 3rd overall. 

When I looked at the splits I thought it was strange as I swam 18:59 for a swim I thought was long.  And he swam 10:00 flat. I thought how can this be....

As we were driving home his swim was adjusted to 15:46 from 19:00 and he went from 3rd place to 13th..... so this may have been the reason.

That makes sense. Wow, 10min swim. 

BTW I had the swim 150m long according to Garmin. The 3 mates racing with me were also showing similar distances

Thanks

NSF

1 hour ago, Notsofast said:

That makes sense. Wow, 10min swim. 

BTW I had the swim 150m long according to Garmin. The 3 mates racing with me were also showing similar distances

Thanks

NSF

And the best swim by the pro's was from about 13:35.... So 10:00 would have been a stretch on the day.