Sign in to follow this  
AJS

Velothon / Etape changes

Spotted yesterday that the Velothon has been "postponed" in 2020 (and their rather obtuse responses to queries on social media would seem to suggest "postponed" = cancelled - shame!

And the Etape is moving from the Snowies to... Kiama! Not quite sure what to make of that one, nearer to Sydney, but seems a bit less 'special' perhaps - I wonder if they'll get their 6,000 participating at Kiama (and if they do, I wonder how receptive the locals will be!)

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Spotted yesterday that the Velothon has been "postponed" in 2020 (and their rather obtuse responses to queries on social media would seem to suggest "postponed" = cancelled - shame!

And the Etape is moving from the Snowies to... Kiama! Not quite sure what to make of that one, nearer to Sydney, but seems a bit less 'special' perhaps - I wonder if they'll get their 6,000 participating at Kiama (and if they do, I wonder how receptive the locals will be!)

this is a shame as i wanted to do the Velothon event.. the facebook responses indicate it is 'cancelled' for 2020 but i guess/hope by saying postponed they mean it will be back in future years...

On one hand I can understand the organisers of etape wanting to move away from the snowy region and closer their home base. I like the Kiama area but there's no way I'd travel 12 hours in a car to ride in the etape event there, and the drive 12 hours back home. And there in lies the problem for the organisers. Will they get enough NSW locals to replace the Victorian riders who won't travel up to Kiama. I think they will be lucky to get 4000 riders at Kiama.

Having said that, if it was me running the show, I would have gone big on the event gamble and made a second event.

Etape North at Kiama as planned and a week later, Etape South at Bendigo and central Victorian goldfields area. You would get 4000 per event for a total of 8000 entrants. 

The bonuses for encouraging competitors to do both and the individual awards given for completing both events, are only limited by your imagination. 

Agree, I wonder about the logic of Kiama; perhaps it has something to do with the UCI Worlds route heading that way in 2022? 

To me, whilst I love riding round the South Coast, Berry, Kangaroo Valley, Southern Highlands etc - as a Sydneysider I doubt I'd pay the $300-$400 to ride in the Etape there as I could pretty much do it any weekend I want - whereas the Snowies definitely feels 'special' and (to me anyway) worth the trip.

Like you Greyman, I wonder if they'll get enough Sydney people wanting to pay to ride on their doorstep whilst being enough of a draw to attract people from further afield. I guess time will tell!

15 minutes ago, AJS said:

To me, whilst I love riding round the South Coast, Berry, Kangaroo Valley, Southern Highlands etc - as a Sydneysider I doubt I'd pay the $300-$400 to ride in the Etape there as I could pretty much do it any weekend I want - whereas the Snowies definitely feels 'special' and (to me anyway) worth the trip.

Is it closed roads?

I'd assume so, the Etape down in the Snowies is closed (or certainly very heavily martialled / policed)... so I guess that would be the difference between doing-it-yourself!

possible logic behind L'etape moving away from Snowies to Kiama = closer to 2022 World Champs site in Wollongong and associated amateur events that will surround the event... just a thought

Being able to get there from Sydney in an hour and a half and not “needing” accom would likely attract a few more folks and make up for the shortfall of Mexicans 

i want to do a fondo as my rehab goal (all being well) but probably would not have committed to L’etape in the Snowys but Kiama makes it the most accessible option for me now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Being able to get there from Sydney in an hour and a half and not “needing” accom would likely attract a few more folks and make up for the shortfall of Mexicans 

i want to do a fondo as my rehab goal (all being well) but probably would not have committed to L’etape in the Snowys but Kiama makes it the most accessible option for me now. 

And there in lies the problem. I don't think Sydneysiders will make up the shortfall in numbers from Victoria. There's an opportunity going begging here. A poor turn out from NSW folks may see the etape event fold here in Oz. 

On 08/10/2019 at 9:04 PM, Greyman said:

Etape North at Kiama as planned and a week later, Etape South at Bendigo and central Victorian goldfields area. You would get 4000 per event for a total of 8000 entrants.

As a Victorian cycling destination, Bendigo really seems to run a distant third (at best) behind other locations like GOR/Otways and Mt Beauty/Mt Buffalo/Bright/Falls Creek.

L'Etape would really have to offer something different to the established events if they went to Victoria.

The people who think they are real cyclist will do it because it souns french. But like a few said, why would you do it when you can do it any other weekend. 

In Sydney there is the Bobbin head classic..... why would I do that when I ride through there every weekend and mid week. It practically goes past my front door give or take a few hundred metres.

Also, It's like why would I sponsor someone doing a 5 or 10 km run when you do that yourself every other day. It's not like its a massive achievement..... 

30 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

The people who think they are real cyclist will do it because it souns french. But like a few said, why would you do it when you can do it any other weekend. 

In Sydney there is the Bobbin head classic..... why would I do that when I ride through there every weekend and mid week. It practically goes past my front door give or take a few hundred metres.

Also, It's like why would I sponsor someone doing a 5 or 10 km run when you do that yourself every other day. It's not like its a massive achievement..... 

Presumably because you're not sponsoring yourself, you're sponsoring someone else and it might be a massive achievement for them?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FatPom said:

Presumably because you're not sponsoring yourself, you're sponsoring someone else and it might be a massive achievement for them?

That would involve the world not centering around me though...

• Haha 1

I ridden Bobbin Head and also Bowral and Southern Highlands. Bowral almost made me cry one year. A tough place to ride. 

FM