Sign in to follow this  
willie

Salazar and Nike Doc 4 year bans

This is something I've known about for a long time (2 mates of mine were part of the Oregon Project, let's just say don't ever speak up against Nike if you're a sponsored athlete, they'll destroy your life)

Glad this is finally done and they actually got bans. Adds a little credibility back to USADA and doping control in general. Now I personally think they should follow up with athletes that were in the program. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/49882757

Then a story that is a bit more harsh 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/nike-running-coach-alberto-salazar-hit-with-four-year-a-1838647652/amp

1 hour ago, willie said:

Now I personally think they should follow up with athletes that were in the program. 

No need.

The UK sports governing body UK Athletics conducted its own review into the claims, and gave Briton Farah - also a six-time world champion - the green light to continue working with American Salazar.

• Haha 1

So according to his statement (on NOP's website - see below) he basically he put peoples' health at risk (the protection of which is a fundamental tenant of the anti-doping rules) as he endeavored to weasel individual athletes through as many loopholes as possible (and if that failed then covered up the goings-on). Additionally, they were found to have operated unethically by discussing athletes confidential medical records - I wonder if those NOP participation agreements will protect them from individual or class legal proceedings from all of this (I'm pretty sure they will protect Nike).

I am shocked by the outcome today. Throughout this six-year investigation my athletes and I have endured unjust, unethical and highly damaging treatment from USADA. This is demonstrated by the misleading statement released by Travis Tygart stating that we put winning ahead of athlete safety. This is completely false and contrary to the findings of the arbitrators, who even wrote about the care I took in complying with the World Anti-Doping code: 

“The Panel notes that the Respondent does not appear to have been motivated by any bad intention to commit the violations the Panel found. In fact, the Panel was struck by the amount of care generally taken by Respondent to ensure that whatever new technique or method or substance he was going to try was lawful under the World Anti-Doping Code, with USADA’s witness characterizing him as the coach they heard from the most with respect to trying to ensure that he was complying with his obligations.”

I have always ensured the WADA code is strictly followed.  The Oregon Project has never and will never permit doping.  I will appeal and look forward to this unfair and protracted process reaching the conclusion I know to be true. I will not be commenting further at this time.

1 hour ago, willie said:

Now I personally think they should follow up with athletes that were in the program. 

I notice the inference that a number of NOP participants approached USADA with their concerns

6 hours ago, willie said:

This is something I've known about for a long time (2 mates of mine were part of the Oregon Project, let's just say don't ever speak up against Nike if you're a sponsored athlete, they'll destroy your life)

Glad this is finally done and they actually got bans. Adds a little credibility back to USADA and doping control in general. Now I personally think they should follow up with athletes that were in the program. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/49882757

Then a story that is a bit more harsh 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/nike-running-coach-alberto-salazar-hit-with-four-year-a-1838647652/amp

I was given Shoe Dog for Christmas last year & couldn't get through it. Narcissistic or what... 

It's a good day. Now if they would just do a deep dive into Farah's blood profile......

8 hours ago, Nick777 said:

It's a good day. Now if they would just do a deep dive into Farah's blood profile......

Not Mo, the peoples champ. Mo would never cheat for all that fame and Olympic success 😉

5 hours ago, Coach@triathlon said:

Loved Salazar. Hardest dude in marathon running in the 80s.

He could race himself into the ground.

Apparently the year he won Boston and pipped Dick Beardsley by one second, after they finished Beardsley stood around giving post-race interviews, while Salazar collapsed and was carried off to medical to be pumped with IV fluids. Salazar just had that ability to dig that little deeper when it really counted.

It was also reported that one year when Salazar won the Falmouth Road Race (7 miles), he was so plastered there was a priest called to administer his last rites.

Edited by Paul Every

12 hours ago, Paul Every said:

He could race himself into the ground.

Apparently the year he won Boston and pipped Dick Beardsley by one second, after they finished Beardsley stood around giving post-race interviews, while Salazar collapsed and was carried off to medical to be pumped with IV fluids. Salazar just had that ability to dig that little deeper when it really counted.

It was also reported that one year when Salazar won the Falmouth Road Race (7 miles), he was so plastered there was a priest called to administer his last rites.

He has the last rites performed  on him 3 times after races. New York twice and Falmouth

I dont condone doping at all. 

But there is an element of it al all top levels of sport. But the bit that gets missed from the masses is that in cases like Lance, apparently Alberto etc, it is a COMPONENT of success.

Lets list vital components of success in a 90s peleton:

• Endurance training
  • Interval training
  • Cadence work
  • hydration
  • nutrition
  • team composition
  • body mass
  • recovery time
  • massage
  • bike mechanics
  • body position in TT
  • blood levels.

People are right in thinking that if Lance didn't dope, he wouldn't win. But if you took the nutrition discipline out he wouldn't win either. If he didn't recover properly, he would win. If his body fat% was wrong, no chance.  If he had a different team composition he wouldn't have won. He won 7 because he did all of these things better than anyone else, not because he did one of these things better than everyone else.

You dont just start a doping program and become the best in the world. If everyone is doping, you need to find your advantages somewhere else.

Salazar MAY have doped during his heyday, but the stories of him pushing himself so far he had his last rights read sow that he didnt just take a few pills and run faster than anyone else, he is still an amazing athlete. And in that era, it is again very likely that he was on a level playing field in regards to pharmaceuticals.

But the doping with the biggest help in recovery.

I remember when OLT / peepee was on the EPO testing program and was asked what the biggest thing you've noticed and he said something like

I can go and ride 150km hard.  Then tomorrow get out of bed and I am fresh as a daisy and can go and do it all over again.  Day after day, week after week.

I struggle to run 2 days is a row now and get out of bed the next day with leg soreness.

Can't imagine 150km hard back to back to back

9 hours ago, Coach@triathlon said:

He has the last rites performed  on him 3 times after races. New York twice and Falmouth

I guess that might happen if your body goes over & above what it could naturally achieve without doping.

Salazar always had a question mark over him back when he was running marathons. No one wanted to believe there was something dodgy going on, just that running 160 to 200 kms a week would get you there. He certainly had the ability to get the maximum performance out of his body in competition.