TimG

TACX Neo vs Kickr? Paging Llama!

In the market to replace my Computrainer. The Kickr 2018 and Tacx Neo 2 seem to be the standard now. There seems to be some bad experiences around the Tacx Neo (1+2) with a loss of accuracy at high flywheel speeds and slipping. Are these significant? When would I see these issues? 

Do I wait for the Neo 2T? I know there is a firmware update in the wings.

On the other hand, the Kickr 2018 seems to be a high quality unit, maybe a little louder than the Neo (not an issue for me) and accuracy pegged at 2% rather than 1%. I'd prefer 1, but really, 2% is not a big problem.

I like the idea of the Neo, but there seem to be 'edge cases' where it isn't great. Thoughts? Experiences?

Edited by TimG
spelling

Kickr is more reliable from what I've seen and exprienced.  Does the same job, is a bees dick more noisy but you're drivechain will make as much noise anyway. Most of the noise comes via vibrations now. 

I rode the Kickr Core personally. Basically the same thing as the kickr without folding or different wheel sizes (smaller wheel = put a book under the front wheel). 

I bought the original Neo several years ago now.  At the time the first generation Kickr was very noisy, so paid the extra money for a quiet Smart Trainer (which it is).  Apparently the newer Kickrs are now almost as quiet as the Neo.

Have had no issues with the Neo.  Rock solid and accurate.  It is heavy to move (much heavier than the Kickr), but we have it setup in the Garage and never move it.

I coach athletes with Smart Trainers. Half have the Neo and half have the Kickr.  From a sample of about 10 athletes, the Neo is far less troublesome and maintains it accuracy.  The Kickr power seems to drift a lot and requires regular calibration.  Changes in resistance on the Kickr also seem more problematic.  Some of my lesser experienced female triathletes have given up using their Kickr and prefer to do Spin classes at the Gym (their husbands still use the Kickr).

Haven't heard of the issues with the Neo, and certainly none of my athletes have experienced any problems.

5 hours ago, Lost in transition said:

Kickr Core. Its a kickr 2017 model on a different frame. 2017 kickr are good, 2018 bad, or so I'm told. 

Nah it's not the same as a kickr V3. Similar weight freewheel as the V3 but more similar to the kickr 18 internals and noise wise. 

Sorry - Only just saw this.

It's difficult for me to really recommend anything. You should see the shitfights I get into when I do and someone has an obscure issue... and they need someone to rage at.... that person becomes me because I'll respond to comments on videos... videos that never tell them to purchase anything... because of this very scenario. 

Because this place is mostly Aussies who aren't arseholes, I'll make an exception.

Get yourself a Kickr CORE. Purchase locally. 

The Neo2T has potential. That potential is yet to be unlocked. That unit now has proper thru-axle support and has addressed the 'tyre slip' issues at low flywheel speed and high torque. In fixing those they didn't pay enough attention to the user experience (ERG mode and LR balance.. and no Cycling Dynamics). Someone asked today if they should buy a 2T now Tacx say they've addressed the issues... It's still a 'wait and see' from me. They shipped the unit saying on the PR sheet it was perfect (it wasn't). We can't take their word for it they've solved anything until we see the data. 

To go deep down the rabbit hole - The Kickr flywheel is preferred by most people I know who've done intervals at FTP or above on both Kickr and NEO. This might be related to the incorrect user weight being set on the NEO unit in the past (The Neo relies on correct user weigh for correct 'feel'.. that was only recently being sent over ANT+ in Zwift... it still isn't over Bluetooth, it has to be set within the Tacx App). You need to rip into a few intervals on both to get the know/feel of this. There's a difference. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback.

On 29/09/2019 at 12:35 AM, gplama said:

Because this place is mostly Aussies who aren't arseholes, I'll make an exception.

You obviously haven't been around here long enough😜

Seriously though, thanks for the detailed response, your feedback as someone who is knee deep in this is great. 

• Like 2

@gplama or anyone..

I'm looking at a 'quiet' trainer as well, had my eyes keen on the Neo, but maybe the core.

I live in an apartment where vibrations is probably an issue. Has anyone tested the vibration any of these units put out? I'm keen not to peeve off the neighbours...

Just now, dazmuzza said:

@gplama or anyone..

I'm looking at a 'quiet' trainer as well, had my eyes keen on the Neo, but maybe the core.

I live in an apartment where vibrations is probably an issue. Has anyone tested the vibration any of these units put out? I'm keen not to peeve off the neighbours...

Mate the latest kickr is extremely quiet. Basically the only noise if from the drive train, and if this is well oiled then its basically silent. No vibration, and even if there was it would be easy fixed with some rubber matting

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

@gplama or anyone..

Anything with a flywheel has a potential to vibrate/resonate.... so a Neo 1/2/2T would likely be the pick there. There's no easy way to test one unit and be sure they'll all be the same. Some people have reported wonkiness with Kickr/CORE flywheels. Not an issue for me (but I'm on concrete with thickarse flooring on top) 

• Like 1

I have a noisy dumb trainer, but putting it on a rubber gym mat removes all the vibrations and you can't hear it through 2 doors or a floor...

4 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Thanks folks - I think that basically makes the choice for me gplama - need to minimise vibration so neo it is!

For me there isn't a difference between the neo and kickr for vibration. It's just on a wood floor with a rubber mat from Bunnings underneath. The little bit of rubber deadens the very little vibration there is. 

• Like 1