wombattri

Busso 2019

11 hours ago, Paul Every said:

If you want an interesting or challenging swim, find an ocean swim. When was the last tri that you caught a wave into the beach?

When I first got into the sport there was a one-off, olympic distance  "Sydney Water Cronulla triathlon". I volunteered and sat out the back of the sandhills on the far turnaround. It was one race I really would like to have tried. Pretty sure it was Emo who ran it.

On the day the swell was a fairly solid 4-6 ft IIRC and the swim was out of Wanda - it was a glorious morning. I think the ride was loops of Kurnell and then the run was the sandhills. Maybe it was too hard - I reckon a lot of people had never swam in surf before and the sandhills was challenging on a warm day. I know a lot of Trannies did it and Dan Mac. Crowie, a surf swim champ  and a runner (Mottram? maybe) did the team event.

14 minutes ago, trinube said:

When I first got into the sport there was a one-off, olympic distance  "Sydney Water Cronulla triathlon". I volunteered and sat out the back of the sandhills on the far turnaround. It was one race I really would like to have tried. Pretty sure it was Emo who ran it.

On the day the swell was a fairly solid 4-6 ft IIRC and the swim was out of Wanda - it was a glorious morning. I think the ride was loops of Kurnell and then the run was the sandhills. Maybe it was too hard - I reckon a lot of people had never swam in surf before and the sandhills was challenging on a warm day. I know a lot of Trannies did it and Dan Mac. Crowie, a surf swim champ  and a runner (Mottram? maybe) did the team event.

Yeah was a good one that. 

T3 Events ran it, BAJ and Stubbsy. 

They gave some competitors the option to sit out the swim, many did, but there was no penalty for doing so they just joined in with the rest of us as we ran up the beach. Not a great outcome for those of us who slogged it out in the swim. 

But I did manage to get a wave in which was fun. 

That was probably 2008 or 9 I remember because I was at my lightest then, about 71 kg and remember Gunther who was a marshal inquiring if I had contracted AIDS.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KieranR said:

Pfft! I went 15:01 on Sunday then ate 2 whopper with cheese meals, and two bacon delux burgers, a twelve pack of donuts, a Cesar salad, a chicken burger from a truck stop, half a loaf of bread with cheese slices in the middle all on the road trip back to karratha this afternoon after leaving yesterday morning.

thats impressive! 

#cleaneatingnowimhome 😂

What did you eat for the main meal?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, KieranR said:

Pfft! I went 15:01 on Sunday then ate 2 whopper with cheese meals, and two bacon delux burgers, a twelve pack of donuts, a Cesar salad, a chicken burger from a truck stop, half a loaf of bread with cheese slices in the middle all on the road trip back to karratha this afternoon after leaving yesterday morning.

thats impressive! 

#cleaneatingnowimhome 😂

The day after the 1989 World Cup we went to Maccas at Surfers Paradise. They ended up kicking us out as they were worried it was going to get messy.

I ate 10 cheese burgers, but only came about 5th. I think it was 15 that won it, and then he washed it down with a thick shake. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KieranR said:

I turned to the doctor and glares at him, started quivering and said,

“you have no ****ing idea of the year I’ve had and how important it is to me to finish this race I never wanted to do just 5 days ago.  I’ve had 4 attempts on my life this year with one needing to resuscitate me.  I am not allowing you to withdraw me from the race”

he said “I didn’t see a thing” picked up his clipboard and walked away, I put my sunnies on and exited the medic tent through T2 and out on to the run.

After Ironman Melbourne, Ratdog & I destroyed McDonalds family meal each at the Airport & then grabbed a dozen donuts for the family. I ate all 12 donuts on the flight home (its a 1hr flight) So I purchased 12 more from the Dreamy Donuts at Adelaide airport & put them in the Krispy Kreme box :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Paul Every said:

No way is triathlon in Aust blessed with hilly courses.

I was thinking world wide when referring to being blessed with so many Ironman Distance course options.

13 hours ago, Paul Every said:

If you want an interesting or challenging swim, find an ocean swim. When was the last tri that you caught a wave into the beach?

Have raced Torquay, Mooloolaba and Nice (although Nice is on the Mediterranean Sea rather than an Ocean).

Ironically by far the roughest swims I've raced in have all been in Port Phillip Bay. And yes I have body surfed in on a wave a few times in the Bay.

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Have raced Torquay, Mooloolaba and Nice (although Nice is on the Mediterranean Sea rather than an Ocean).

Ironically by far the roughest swims I've raced in have all been in Port Phillip Bay. And yes I have body surfed in on a wave a few times in the Bay.

I will say, I have raced Geelong with tougher swims that the one race I did at Torquay. But the Torquay swim is still the coldest water temp  in a race I have done.

But with only one race at Torquay, and 13? races in the bay, it isn't a fair sample size. 

11 hours ago, roxii said:

Yeah was a good one that. 

T3 Events ran it, BAJ and Stubbsy. 

They gave some competitors the option to sit out the swim, many did, but there was no penalty for doing so they just joined in with the rest of us as we ran up the beach. Not a great outcome for those of us who slogged it out in the swim. 

But I did manage to get a wave in which was fun. 

That was probably 2008 or 9 I remember because I was at my lightest then, about 71 kg and remember Gunther who was a marshal inquiring if I had contracted AIDS.  

This was 97 or 98 I think at Wanda Jason Harpers old man put on a race there with loops around the car park hard to see the surf in background but easy 8ft !

we got called in for a meeting to see if we wanted to swim every one jumped at the chance except for Luke Gratton very funny sledging at the time poor bloke was from Canberra not much surf there 😂

many way I rest my case way harder back in the day 😉😂

E8A81C59-88C2-45F7-B510-F13AA23B55EF.jpeg

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

This was 97 or 98 I think at Wanda

Nah, different race. This was 2008 -

calendar_510.jpg

calendar_511.jpg

calendar_512.jpg

calendar_513.jpg

calendar_514.jpg

calendar_515.jpg

• Like 4

The only time I ever beat Nick Croft out of the water was a race where I body surfed past him in the last 50m. Normally he'd do me by 2 or 3 minutes. :)

• Haha 2

Yes different race mate different century 😂

I remember that race as well I’d stopped racing by then .Matty reed who won that day was staying with me so I went down and watched him and my old man go around .

bring it back I say ! 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Yes different race mate different century 😂

I

was that the day the marquee got trashed and pretty much ended their race organising dreams? 

• Confused 1

Seven Mile Beach, Tas.

2017? Was just a Sprint race. Was also dead flat an hour before. 

FB_IMG_1484826333598.jpg

Edited by Turts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Triathlon was better and harder back in the   Day

I think it is a case of insurance companies and lawyers weren't harder back in the day. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Triathlon was better and harder back in the   Day

When guys did races in speedos only.  None of this trisuit stuff. 

So soft

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

So soft

Yep, and lots of the bike legs were on open roads. 

2801849340101159333KRAtKx_fs.jpg

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

So soft

Which was good for keeping leg hair down

19 minutes ago, xblane said:

That is another level of incentive to be in better shape :o 

:lol: :lol: 

Yeah, luckily I was a lot younger back then, wasn't so hard to stay thin. 

8 hours ago, roxii said:

Yep, and lots of the bike legs were on open roads. 

2801849340101159333KRAtKx_fs.jpg

5star sports promotions Mark Pringle 

talking away ..Bankstown Typhoon Triathlon Chippy taking the win or possibly Warren Curtis depending on the year 😁

23 minutes ago, roxii said:

I thought it was Fidler the second year when it was Aus sprint champs

Yep Fidler did win that race 

chippy won it one year and warren Curtis the first ever year I think 

the year Fidler won it nearly everyone got crook from the swim  The following days !

filthy water !

10 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Yep Fidler did win that race 

chippy won it one year and warren Curtis the first ever year I think 

the year Fidler won it nearly everyone got crook from the swim  The following days !

filthy water !

Chippy won in 1994. Check out a few of the names. 
FM

8EDF13A6-C851-459C-B0D8-9FE6A5017436.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow ! 

I was 17 years old then can’t believe I let those three old pricks beat me 😂😂

That was the first time I legitimately met Chippy he was a legend in my eyes from doing uncle Toby’s and tris we went on to race in France together and he always took me under his wing with advice etc when travelling we still keep in contact through social media ,he lives in France these days and is going well 👍

• Like 1

The best thing about the sport for me is the mates I found throughout the years and still speak with hang with and put shit on 

A lot of travel stories with Chappo from over the years !

Not sure who can ride Busso on 180 watts and get sub 5.  It took me 224 watts for a 4.59.  then again i was a lightweight of 82 kgs compared to my 100 kegs of pleasure these days.

8 hours ago, ratdog said:

Not sure who can ride Busso on 180 watts and get sub 5.  It took me 224 watts for a 4.59.  then again i was a lightweight of 82 kgs compared to my 100 kegs of pleasure these days.

507 time on a strava file

15 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Bored@ is onto something with busso though, you can go 5 hours at 180 watts, is this that easy or is it a draft fest?

NP 168 for 6hr bike at 79kg on a shit bike. 

Last year. 

1 hour ago, Jim Shortz said:

My apologies. It was lower than that. 

Screenshot_20191209-045743_TrainingPeaks.jpg

Certainly zero drafting there.

I don't draft and I'm usually about 169 for a 6 hour ride give or take a few minutes and watts.

So if people are doing 5hrs with 180 watts, they are spending a nice amount of time sitting in a train.

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

So if people are doing 5hrs with 180 watts, they are spending a nice amount of time sitting in a train.

Or VERY light and extremely aero.

And they've bought a lot of speed.

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

In Slowtwitch parlance, "optimized"...

although they are often referring to testosterone etc as well...

19 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Even still, it just cant be possible.  But I am sure someone can supply "Electronic data" proving me and others wrong.

Edited by Peter

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Even still, it just cant be possible.  But I am sure someone can supply "Electronic data" proving me and others wrong.

'Perfect' road, correct equipment, cda <0.02 - I think it would be doable to ave. 36km/h on 180w

(I have a feeling that the position the body would be in to hold that cda that low would be hard to hold for 5 hours, and I doubt you would be able to run off if, but what would I know).

I do know that Busso and 140w gets you 6 hours with good enough equipment choices.

15 minutes ago, Cape_Horn said:

I do know that Busso and 140w gets you 6 hours with good enough equipment choices.

If that's the case I have extremely shit equipment.

I'd go very close to 5h on 195w and I know of people more aero. As Kienle recently said, drafting 12m is legal and gives about 15watts. Not all PMs give the same number. 

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:59 PM, Nath. said:

Ordinary day for me. I didn’t do the distance enough respect in training and blew up 5-6k into the run.

had an ok swim, rode about 30-40k souls and then found the famous Busso 5hr train so jumped on board as couldn’t get away. All young blokes going hard. Tried to gas them at 120k and got 200m but then they came back and sat on me. Thought fark this I’m not towing them round. 
Sat at the back and soft peddled for a 4:52 by my Garmin.....a little embarrassed to share my power 😬

Set my race up nicely but no run legs and finished with 10:16

Hey Nath,

What power did you avg to pull a 4:52?

52 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

I'd go very close to 5h on 195w and I know of people more aero. As Kienle recently said, drafting 12m is legal and gives about 15watts. Not all PMs give the same number. 

how much do you weigh?

Genuine question here. I know that I'm not the smallest guy at about 188cm and 85cm but I'd like to think that I stay relatively tight on the bike. I have attached photos from the Sunshine Coast 70.3 for reference. Again, I know that my fit is not perfect but it's relatively comfortable for the long distance stuff. I'm also going to use my power numbers from the Tweed Coast Enduro because that is the flattest 70.3 distance ride that I've done. 

On that day I rode 204W average/214W NP at about 85kg race weight, so about 2.4W/kg and 2.5W/kg for those 2 values. I rode a 2:35 that day for an average of 34.6kmh at 155bpm average. Assuming that I could maintain that for the whole 180km, that comes out to be a 5:10 bike split. 

Is it just a case of me being bigger than the average guy and fighting aero drag or is there something that I'm missing that allows for stupid fast bike splits at a power level that I can maintain with a HR somewhere around 120-130bpm?

29_m-100913872-DIGITAL_HIGHRES-3094_025560-32863426.JPG

51_m-100913872-DIGITAL_HIGHRES-3094_056295-32863448.JPG