wombattri

Busso 2019

16 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Shhhh you’re not allowed to say negative things about this race...

Don't be like that Bored. 

But I do think it is worth considering that not everyone thinks only negatively about it and just bashing it constantly probably isn't fair.

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Ironman Maryland have a completion every year to design the finishers medal. 

Its awesome to get something to remind you of the location. Maryland has a crab on their medal. Malaysia had a big Eagle.

Busso could do a medal with a big jetty or that light house looking thing. 

Maybe Busso could do a Shark on theirs?

Or even

image.png.c9dca04ec861cf7fb7fce3fbf0bd3b8d.png

• Haha 1

On 01/12/2019 at 4:08 PM, Bored@work said:

Who would have predicted the first time a top level pro raced Busso they would set a cracking time..... 

I mean Brownlee goes okay but he's no Kirill Kotsegarov is he.  When he went sub 8 in Texas a couple of years ago it showed what a rockstar he is on tough courses.  He was just so unlucky that Ronnie Schildknecht showed up that day to help relegate him to fifth.

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Ironman Maryland have a completion every year to design the finishers medal. 

Its awesome to get something to remind you of the location. Maryland has a crab on their medal. Malaysia had a big Eagle.

Busso could do a medal with a big jetty or that light house looking thing. 

The Naughtical Lady (that "light house looking thing") was demolished about five years ago.

This year the medal and shirt celebrated that other famous local race the Busselton Jetty Swim.  I've heard rumours that next years will be themed around fat blokes running in front of the jetty to honour the beer mile.  It will be baby blue like a certain safari suit, may it rest in peace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 01/12/2019 at 8:12 PM, Kiwinoz said:

I missed the little out and back so about 500m short. Moot point as I fell off KQ pace and my new AG was actually faster than my old one (10th spot), go figure. They came amd spoke to me, it was all very civil, it was my fault for not oaying attention to the turn, just wish someone else was on course that I could have followed.

No idea why it was so much faster this year than last year. 9.00 winner 45-49..

2 hours ago, Katz said:

Don't be like that Bored. 

But I do think it is worth considering that not everyone thinks only negatively about it and just bashing it constantly probably isn't fair.

I have said positive things about Busselton in the past. I honestly believe it’s a perfect race for first timers. It relatively easy to travel to and it's not a technical course at all. The swim (or at least the old swim course) made it easy for sighting. The bike and run are both flat.

- I have highlighted the issues with drafting (another forum member also referred to the famous 5hr bike train & being embarrassed by his power file. Stickman in a previous thread claimed he spent the first lap abusing ppl for drafting)

- The jacked up costs for accommodation

- The flies

- The lack of atmosphere esp around the finish line.

As I said in the other thread. There is nothing wrong

with Busso. For the first few years I always thought it was the poor cousin to Port Mac.

If you look at other threads, I have also said negative things about Port Mac, Cairns, Malaysia, Chattanooga, Maryland, Vineman and Melbourne. I call it as I see it.

I get it Busso is your home race and you want to defend it. Go back over previous years threads and people did the same thing to Ironman Melbourne. Some hated Melbourne others loved it. If Ironman Melb was still going we would be having the same arguments. It’s like pineapple on pizza. Some people hate it and others are wrong.

What really pisses me off is I was accused via private message of belittling people who do Busso. I have never belittled anyone for racing Busso. I have questioned how and why people can stay motivated to race the same event every year. I have encouraged ppl to travel and experience different races. But I have never belittled anyone for completing Busso.

@kerinR & @jimshorts finishing Busso are two of the highlights of this forum in recent years. Both living with depression and overcoming their demons. @kerinR brother had an awesome post on Instagram. I wish I had that sort of relationship with my siblings

1 hour ago, Stikman said:

I mean Brownlee goes okay but he's no Kirill Kotsegarov is he.  When he went sub 8 in Texas a couple of years ago it showed what a rockstar he is on tough courses.  He was just so unlucky that Ronnie Schildknecht showed up that day to help relegate him to fifth.

The Naughtical Lady (that "light house looking thing") was demolished about five years ago.

This year the medal and shirt celebrated that other famous local race the Busselton Jetty Swim.  I've heard rumours that next years will be themed around fat blokes running in front of the jetty to honour the beer mile.  It will be baby blue like a certain safari suit, may it rest in peace.

No idea who Kirill Kotesgarov is. I assume he has won one of the overseas races I have completed, because that's what you like to do. I can only assume you picked Texas as refernce point as you know that is my fastest finishing time. In fact, you were the one questioned why I hadn't uploaded my strava file for the bike because it was short the year I did it. You have also accused me of picking easy races around the world just to get a good time. There was nothing easy about Cozumel, Malaysia, Vineman, Chattanooga, Lake tahoe and Lousiville.

In another thread that was discussing which was the easiest Ironman you used avg times and fastest times as your justification that Busso wasn't the easiest course in the world. In fact you belittled my acheivement of going sub 12 in Melbourne as a down hill draft fest. Then again in Arizona.

I mentioned most of the fast age groupers would have raced Kona 6 weeks prior and it doesn’t attract a strong pro field. I predicated the first time a couple of top pros had a crack on a good day a world record time would happen. I know Brownlee wasn't world record time, but I think if there was a couple of top-level pros smashing each other we could have seen a world record on Sunday.

Why would an Ironman celebrate the Busselton swim on their medal? That just seems strange. Lake Tahoe is one of my favourite races and the medal is shit. Malaysia was the worst race and it has one of the best medals. (this isn’t a Busso bashing comment).

9 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I have said positive things about Busselton in the past. I honestly believe it’s a perfect race for first timers. It relatively easy to travel to and it's not a technical course at all. The swim (or at least the old swim course) made it easy for sighting. The bike and run are both flat.

- I have highlighted the issues with drafting (another forum member also referred to the famous 5hr bike train & being embarrassed by his power file. Stickman in a previous thread claimed he spent the first lap abusing ppl for drafting)

- The flies

As I said in the other thread. There is nothing wrong with Busso. For the first few years I always thought it was the poor cousin to Port Mac.

If you look at other threads, I have also said negative things about Port Mac, Cairns, Malaysia, Chattanooga, Maryland, Vineman and Melbourne. I call it as I see it.

I get it Busso is your home race and you want to defend it. Go back over previous years threads and people did the same thing to Ironman Melbourne. Some hated Melbourne others loved it. If Ironman Melb was still going we would be having the same arguments. It’s like pineapple on pizza. Some people hate it and others are wrong.

What really pisses me off is I was accused via private message of belittling people who do Busso. I have never belittled anyone for racing Busso. I have questioned how and why people can stay motivated to race the same event every year. I have encouraged ppl to travel and experience different races. But I have never belittled anyone for completing Busso.

@kerinR & @jimshorts finishing Busso are two of the highlights of this forum in recent years. Both living with depression and overcoming their demons. @kerinR brother had an awesome post on Instagram. I wish I had that sort of relationship with my siblings

Then perhaps it's a perception thing. Personally I have felt that you just want to bash it for reasons I am not clear on. I genuinely can't recall seeing positive comments but I don't dispute you have made them, just commenting I had missed them. Clearly not seeing that has clouded my own perception.

I think I will always love Busso, not because I think it's good necessarily, but because it's my first (and still my only). I am very much looking forward to other races, but the opportunity hasn't yet allowed me to experience others. Depending on how the next few months goes, we might end up in Cairns next year, if not though we will wait till after 2022 to go elsewhere and will keep doing Busso in the interim. 

And yes, on Sunday, I saw drafting myself and not because of a tight packed course (it's never tight packed where I am ), but just because people can be asshat cheaters and they are going to turn up anywhere.

I appreciate that you have laid everything out in one spot though Bored, it has helped me see properly what you think.

53 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

- The flies

As I said in the other thread. There is nothing wrong

with Busso. For the first few years I always thought it was the poor cousin to Port Mac.

Busso seems to get an inordinate amount of criticism. An unusual level of bitterness directed at it,  that other races do not seem to get. And you could pick apart any Ironman. They all have their unique negative idiosyncrasies. I liked Cairns, I'm a positive person and enjoyed Cairns, but plenty of problems with that race,  never heard anyone say anything good about the actual race in Kona, atmosphere great, race shit, similarly with any race in Asia or anywhere else hot or anywhere else cold or windy or hilly. So sure, bag Busso, but if you're going to do so, perhaps do so in comparison with a race you do rate. 

Edited by zed

19 minutes ago, zed said:

Busso seems to get an inordinate amount of criticism. An unusual level of bitterness directed at it,  that other races do not seem to get. And you could pick apart any Ironman. They all have their unique negative idiosyncrasies. I liked Cairns, I'm a positive person and enjoyed Cairns, but plenty of problems with that race,  never heard anyone say anything good about the actual race in Kona, atmosphere great, race shit, similarly with any race in Asia or anywhere else hot or anywhere else cold or windy or hilly. So sure, bag Busso, but if you're going to do so, perhaps do so in comparison with a race you do rate. 

I do. 

Re Cairns.  Read  the thread on the year I did Cairns. Rog & I duked it out over the safety of having the marathon out in the cane fields during the night. I said it was shit & dangerous. They changed it to three laps of the city foreshore. I went to cairns this year & was disappointed with how cold it was. I would like to see Cairns in a warmer month. 

I get it you are from WA & love Busso. 

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

@KieranR, how did the doctors react to your explanation after they wanted to pull you out? Did it go easy or take a lot of pleading/swearing?

I turned to the doctor and glares at him, started quivering and said,

“you have no ****ing idea of the year I’ve had and how important it is to me to finish this race I never wanted to do just 5 days ago.  I’ve had 4 attempts on my life this year with one needing to resuscitate me.  I am not allowing you to withdraw me from the race”

he said “I didn’t see a thing” picked up his clipboard and walked away, I put my sunnies on and exited the medic tent through T2 and out on to the run.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I get it you are from WA & love Busso. 

Nah it's got nothing to do with being a local. I just don't get the constant negativity. Busso is shit because it's flat, Cairns is shit because the swim is a choppy mess, Port is shit because of the road surface, Kona is shit because of the wind and heat, Lang Kwai is shit because of the humidity etc etc  

None of these races are shit, they all have their unique challenges. 

Edited by zed
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, zed said:

Nah it's got nothing to do with being a local. I just don't get the negativity. Busso is shit because it's flat, Cairns is shit because the swim is a choppy mess, Port is shit because of the road surface, Kona is shit because of the wind and heat, Lang Kwai is shit because of the humidity etc etc  

None of these races are shit, they are all unique and they all have their pros and cons. 

Never have I described any race as being shit. My comment above was about how shit the safety element of the marathon was. If I had to name a shit race it would Malaysia the year I did it. The location, swim, pollution and traffic on the bike and run were all shit. Besides the medal I can’t think of one good thing about that race. They have since moved it to the other side of the island. Apparently it’s a better location. 

6 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Never have I described any race as being shit. My comment above was about how shit the safety element of the marathon was. If I had to name a shit race it would Malaysia the year I did it. The location, swim, pollution and traffic on the bike and run were all shit. Besides the medal I can’t think of one good thing about that race. They have since moved it to the other side of the island. Apparently it’s a better location. 

Not directed at you, but the negativity in general on here re Busso.

Just now, zed said:

Not directed at you, but the negativity in general on here re Busso.

To be honest, I think a lot of the negativity is doing some good old AP style fishing...

Peter says Busso is shit/getting cancelled/a draft fest etc - The WA contingent gather pitchforks

Zed says Melbourne is shit/draftfest/full of macchiato sipping hipsters - Peter says you've never been there so shut up and keep drinking your Nescafe Blend 43

AP says Kona is the be and end all of life and anybody who hasn't done it is not worthy -  Everyone bites their lips to respect their elders...

Let me wade into this with a bit of History

Back when IM Australia was at Forster there was a concerted move by Queensland in particular to pinch the event and get it relocated to Qld.This was in the final few years of Foster when IMG was the liscence holder and looking for better financial offers and were open to moving.This shit from Qld was really giving the NSW athletes the shits.

We here in WA and I mean me and the then president of TWA talked with Eventscorp Wa and we approached IMG with a different proposition.

Don't get rid of Forster lets do another one in WA as at the time we provided the numbers that proved it would work..

As history tells it happened and the first one was held in Busso in 2004 and we are still here 16 events later.

All this is in Ken Baggs book.

What it doesn't say is that the event starting in WA gave  lot of NSW and VIc athletes the shits because Vic also wanted an event.

So I suspect there is a large  amount of Jelousy borne on the east coast by some of the old timers.

The fact that WA has run 3 itu world Championships has an Ironman and a successful 70.3 doesn't sit well with some.

Not suggesting Bored at Work fits in that catogary....but theres plenty of them with reason to bag Busso. 

It's funny. Most marathon courses are pretty flat. Even the ones considered undulating are still pretty flat. Some people travel to places like Amsterdam because it is dead flat at (or below) sea level. I know times recorded at courses like Boston aren't recognised as World Records because it is downhill, but in general people don't bag others for racing a Marathon on a flat course. Yet we deride Ironman courses (a more difficult event) that are deemed as flat, so too easy.

I think we are blessed to have so many different types of races available. We have flat courses, hilly courses, windy courses, hot and humid, etc.

If I was looking for a fast time I would do an 'easy' course. If I was looking for the best placing in my age group, I would look for a course that best suited my strengths (in my case that would probably be Nice). It's exactly the same when I pick running races, fast times at flat road races, much better placings at tough and much slower trail runs. In any given year, I'm most likely to enter both types.

In some ways it is similar how people often look down upon the shorter Triathlons. As if anything below an Ironman is barely worth it. Were Sebastion Coe, Steve Cram, Mo Farrah lesser runners because they raced the shorter distances?  Is 3 time ITU World Champion Peter Robinson no longer a superstar because he failed when he moved up to the Ironman Distance (or Emma Snowsill because she never raced Ironman)?

I think ParkRuns are great, absolutely love the local Sprint Triathlons and Duathlons. Olympic Distance Triathlons fill me with fear due to the pain I know I will endure on the last 5km of the run. Half Ironmans excite me, because after about 15 attempts I've still not quite nailed one yet. Ironman scares the bejesus out me, maybe I'll do another one some day. Doesn't matter what event I do, I'll still have the same pre-race nerves. In fact I think it's that early morning feeling of anticipation that I love the most (it's definitely not the feeling I experience during the second half of the run leg).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zed said:

Busso seems to get an inordinate amount of criticism. An unusual level of bitterness directed at it,  that other races do not seem to get. And you could pick apart any Ironman. . 

You need to search ironman melbourne and the bagging it got. 

Heaps more than busso. 

Interestingly I don’t agree with boredat. 

I don’t think a newbie should do busso first.  Its too Easy. 

Go do imnz or port and then later that year go to busso and do a massive pb.  

If you can’t break 15.30 in busso, you sure as shit have no hope in port cairns or nz. 

Thats not directed at anyone. But busso is heaps easier by that much. 

Remember lunchbox.  God love him. 

He was 200kg and finished busso. And was in about 15.20 I think.  

Think about that. Make your total weight 200kg and do an ironman. 

Super impressive. But he couldn’t have finished in port or nz. 

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

You need to search ironman melbourne and the bagging it got. 

Heaps more than busso. 

Interestingly I don’t agree with boredat. 

I don’t think a newbie should do busso first.  Its too Easy. 

Go do imnz or port and then later that year go to busso and do a massive pb.  

If you can’t break 15.30 in busso, you sure as shit have no hope in port cairns or nz. 

Thats not directed at anyone. But busso is heaps easier by that much. 

Remember lunchbox.  God love him. 

He was 200kg and finished busso. And was in about 15.20 I think.  

Think about that. Make your total weight 200kg and do an ironman. 

Super impressive. But he couldn’t have finished in port or nz. 

Totally directed at me. LOL

But thankfully I have broken 15:30, so I'm good. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I actually don’t mind busso, yep it’s flat, good for fat blokes like me because I suck at riding hills, being flat you don’t get a break, you need to keep on pedalling (unless you wanna draft 😂), the run is far better than Cairns, the run surface is great, cairns is concrete which just sucks.  Oh the scenery at busso.....so good, and we have bikini clad girls hosing us down.  Don’t get that in cairns or Nz, not sure about port.  The swim- perfect, I spotted blue swimmer crabs there this week, reminded me of home.  And I find riding through the Forrest really cool, the trees are epic.  

I’ll happily race there again, and the same with anywhere else, it’s about the sport for me.  I find any Ironman hard, never feels easy to me

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, pieman said:

AP says Kona is the be and end all of life and anybody who hasn't done it is not worthy -  Everyone bites their lips to respect their elders...

🙄

46 minutes ago, Triatx said:

Let me wade into this with a bit of History

Back when IM Australia was at Forster there was a concerted move by Queensland in particular to pinch the event and get it relocated to Qld.This was in the final few years of Foster when IMG was the liscence holder and looking for better financial offers and were open to moving.This shit from Qld was really giving the NSW athletes the shits.

We here in WA and I mean me and the then president of TWA talked with Eventscorp Wa and we approached IMG with a different proposition.

Don't get rid of Forster lets do another one in WA as at the time we provided the numbers that proved it would work..

As history tells it happened and the first one was held in Busso in 2004 and we are still here 16 events later.

All this is in Ken Baggs book.

What it doesn't say is that the event starting in WA gave  lot of NSW and VIc athletes the shits because Vic also wanted an event.

So I suspect there is a large  amount of Jelousy borne on the east coast by some of the old timers.

The fact that WA has run 3 itu world Championships has an Ironman and a successful 70.3 doesn't sit well with some.

Not suggesting Bored at Work fits in that catogary....but theres plenty of them with reason to bag Busso. 

Busso was a good event for me back in 2005 as there was no qualifying & it only had about 700ppl. As I said in my other post. Perfect for a first timer

2 hours ago, zed said:

Busso seems to get an inordinate amount of criticism. An unusual level of bitterness directed at it,  that other races do not seem to get

I just read the thread about 70.3 Melbourne for a race that hasn’t happened.

The bitterness in the thread:

drafting 

easy course (I agree) 

shortned swim 

ecoli in the water 

HB is a better race 

not good timing 

Locals won’t support it

the race won’t last 

too many hipsters....

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Stikman yells about drafting at busso every year

Didn't see any among the 70-74 female field that was around me this year.

2 minutes ago, Stikman said:

No, Shirley certainly wasn't drafting when she shot past me at the 55k mark on the bike. 

You spent a huge amount of time with her on the run course. Should I be worried?

22 minutes ago, Stikman said:

In fairness to Stikman, Busso drafting is a problem the 5 and unders are sitting in trains and packs. I think if I am right STikman wearing pink gave it to some drafting prick in 2016.

This guy got the shits, surged up whinging who does that guy in pink think he is. He said that within ear shot, I said I'm not sure who he is but you are a drafting cheating bastard.

• Like 1

Triratings tried to apply some level of science to comparing Ironman courses. All the Oz courses are within 11 mins on average of each other at 9hrs. Cairns is slowest (swims and run) and Busso quickest (bike). Port Mac has the quickest run but a slower bike. Some of the differences are probably course but some are probably typical weather.

That 11 mins equates to 2% difference in time across the 3 and is less than a lot of transitions I see, so the difficulty argument in Oz hasn’t got much truth to it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

In fairness to Stikman, Busso drafting is a problem the 5 and unders are sitting in trains and packs. I think if I am right STikman wearing pink gave it to some drafting prick in 2016.

This guy got the shits, surged up whinging who does that guy in pink think he is. He said that within ear shot, I said I'm not sure who he is but you are a drafting cheating bastard.

Sounds about right.  I do like shouting at people and enforcing rules.  That's why @Katz and I are so perfect together.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Katz said:

Totally directed at me. LOL

But thankfully I have broken 15:30, so I'm good. :D

It honestly was a general comment. 

and you could easily go 2 hours faster if I said I’ll give you 100k to break 15hrs. 

You are like me.  Your life isn’t only about ronman. Its just Something you do. 

Edited by Peter

18 minutes ago, Melt said:

Triratings tried to apply some level of science to comparing Ironman courses. All the Oz courses are within 11 mins on average of each other at 9hrs. Cairns is slowest (swims and run) and Busso quickest (bike). Port Mac has the quickest run but a slower bike. Some of the differences are probably course but some are probably typical weather.

That 11 mins equates to 2% difference in time across the 3 and is less than a lot of transitions I see, so the difficulty argument in Oz hasn’t got much truth to it.

For the professionals its correct re ratings. Not mid and back of the pack.  

But im happy for you to do all 4 and prove me wrong. 

Everyone likes different things. Regardless of the ease of the course, Busso is a much nicer place and much nicer course than Port Mac.

If its too easy go harder.

Having done IM Arizona and a heap of halves in NA, found Australian events to be very much K-mart, cheap nasty plastic and poorly produced by comparison.

The US events are simply excellent, much higher quality and better produced. Americans are much better supporters there is atmosphere which sadly lacks at Oz Events.

I can see why Bored has travelled so much, especially when you factor in the costs of doing domestic events

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rob said:

It's funny. Most marathon courses are pretty flat. Even the ones considered undulating are still pretty flat. Some people travel to places like Amsterdam because it is dead flat at (or below) sea level. I know times recorded at courses like Boston aren't recognised as World Records because it is downhill, but in general people don't bag others for racing a Marathon on a flat course. Yet we deride Ironman courses (a more difficult event) that are deemed as flat, so too easy.

I think we are blessed to have so many different types of races available. We have flat courses, hilly courses, windy courses, hot and humid, etc.

If I was looking for a fast time I would do an 'easy' course. If I was looking for the best placing in my age group, I would look for a course that best suited my strengths (in my case that would probably be Nice). It's exactly the same when I pick running races, fast times at flat road races, much better placings at tough and much slower trail runs. In any given year, I'm most likely to enter both types.

In some ways it is similar how people often look down upon the shorter Triathlons. As if anything below an Ironman is barely worth it. Were Sebastion Coe, Steve Cram, Mo Farrah lesser runners because they raced the shorter distances?  Is 3 time ITU World Champion Peter Robinson no longer a superstar because he failed when he moved up to the Ironman Distance (or Emma Snowsill because she never raced Ironman)?

I think ParkRuns are great, absolutely love the local Sprint Triathlons and Duathlons. Olympic Distance Triathlons fill me with fear due to the pain I know I will endure on the last 5km of the run. Half Ironmans excite me, because after about 15 attempts I've still not quite nailed one yet. Ironman scares the bejesus out me, maybe I'll do another one some day. Doesn't matter what event I do, I'll still have the same pre-race nerves. In fact I think it's that early morning feeling of anticipation that I love the most (it's definitely not the feeling I experience during the second half of the run leg).

A lot of sense later in your post but I'm not sure about some of the first two paragraphs.

Yes, there are plenty of flat marathons, but you don't have to go too far out of your way to find marathons (or other running events of distances) that offer hilly races if that's what you're after.

The same can't be said of triathlon. Not in Australia, at least. Our courses are generally unimaginative, the most notable exception being Emo's AAA Extreme Tri.

If you want an interesting or challenging swim, find an ocean swim. When was the last tri that you caught a wave into the beach?

If you want a hilly or challenging cycle, enter Amy's Grand Fondo or L'Etape.

No way is triathlon in Aust blessed with hilly courses.

Edited by Paul Every

53 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Everyone likes different things. Regardless of the ease of the course, Busso is a much nicer place and much nicer course than Port Mac.

I haven't raced Busso since the inaugural event and I 'may' have done Port more recently, so take my opinion with a truckload of salt.

Yes, Busso's swim is better than Port due to water quality and depth, (you can see the sharks! ;)). Though not as good as it was when it went around the pier.

Port's cycle is better than what I remember Busso to be. Yes, Port is slower and the road surface is often granular and rough in a few places, but so what. everyone's racing the same course on the day and its mix of rolling hills, extended flat sections and MFD climb, all combine to reward the well prepared rider. Some great views overlooking the beaches too. The only thing it lacks is a few genuine extended climbs.

Both runs are flat cookie-cutter multi-loop affairs. Port's was better when it included Windmill Hill.

Yes, I like different things. :)

• Like 1

Have to say, 

Some GREAT robust discussions on this thread. No bullshit or name calling. Well done all involved. 

My experience there won't be talked about please. Nuff said. Given similar opportunities again I would decline and ask that the money raised be paid to Beyond Blue. No stress. 

I reckon B@W generally just uses "shit" flippantly and it doesn't carry any real weight to it 🤷‍♂️✌️ just what I have learned in hindsight. And the mud slinging is just that. Another thing that I learned in hindsight.*

Good work all ✌️

*my current head space and life situation has A LOT to do with my clear hindsight. 

• Like 2

I was interested to see what my wife thought of the different races. So I asked her to rank the races I have done from best to worse.

1 Cozumel  

2 Lake Tahoe 

3 Texas 

4 Vineman 

5 Louisville 

6 Cairns 

7 Maryland (too many rednecks)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the same - nothing special about them 

Melb 

Busso 

Port Mac

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WORST: 

Malaysia 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona (didn't go you bastard) 

Chattanooga (left at home again) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Having done IM Arizona and a heap of halves in NA, found Australian events to be very much K-mart, cheap nasty plastic and poorly produced by comparison.

The US events are simply excellent, much higher quality and better produced. Americans are much better supporters there is atmosphere which sadly lacks at Oz Events.

I can see why Bored has travelled so much, especially when you factor in the costs of doing domestic events

100% spot on and it reflects my comments in a previous thread about Busso being a vanilla standard event. 

It could also be the reason why my wife struggled to split Busso, Port & Melb. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KieranR said:

I turned to the doctor and glares at him, started quivering and said,

“you have no ****ing idea of the year I’ve had and how important it is to me to finish this race I never wanted to do just 5 days ago.  I’ve had 4 attempts on my life this year with one needing to resuscitate me.  I am not allowing you to withdraw me from the race”

he said “I didn’t see a thing” picked up his clipboard and walked away, I put my sunnies on and exited the medic tent through T2 and out on to the run.

Mate 

You are truly first class. 

You're openness in regards to Mental Health and Suicide may be tough for some people to stomach but it does ENDLESS good in reducing the taboo surrounding the topic. Well done lad. Proud to be your friend. 😎🤘

• Like 4

5 hours ago, zed said:

Nah it's got nothing to do with being a local. I just don't get the constant negativity. Busso is shit because it's flat, Cairns is shit because the swim is a choppy mess, Port is shit because of the road surface, Kona is shit because of the wind and heat, Lang Kwai is shit because of the humidity etc etc  

None of these races are shit, they all have their unique challenges. 

Agree.

PS: I thought Busso was great even if I did stuff the run up from 26km.

Still got a 10:37 :)

40 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Agree.

PS: I thought Busso was great even if I did stuff the run up from 26km.

Still got a 10:37 :)

Local guy went 9:45 in Busso on Sunday & then raced the local crit tonight. He got in the break & did his fair share on the front. Really impressive 

15 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Local guy went 9:45 in Busso on Sunday & then raced the local crit tonight. He got in the break & did his fair share on the front. Really impressive 

Pfft! I went 15:01 on Sunday then ate 2 whopper with cheese meals, and two bacon delux burgers, a twelve pack of donuts, a Cesar salad, a chicken burger from a truck stop, half a loaf of bread with cheese slices in the middle all on the road trip back to karratha this afternoon after leaving yesterday morning.

thats impressive! 

#cleaneatingnowimhome 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Pfft! I went 15:01 on Sunday then ate 2 whopper with cheese meals, and two bacon delux burgers, a twelve pack of donuts, a Cesar salad, a chicken burger from a truck stop, half a loaf of bread with cheese slices in the middle all on the road trip back to karratha this afternoon after leaving yesterday morning.

thats impressive! 

#cleaneatingnowimhome 😂

I'm eating fish and it's delicious.  Thanks! 

• Like 1

On 03/12/2019 at 8:36 PM, beginnergirl said:

... please tell me you, @Katz and @stickman partied like rockstars! 😂

Without you there to be a bad influence we were well behaved!

I did manage to use all of my drink tokens and my $30 dinner voucher to properly re-hydrate at the after party.

8 hours ago, Bored@work said:

100% spot on and it reflects my comments in a previous thread about Busso being a vanilla standard event. 

It could also be the reason why my wife struggled to split Busso, Port & Melb. 

This. Busso is a nice little beach place 3 hours from Perth, which is 4 hours from Sydney add in getting to Sydney costs and time, you could do a west coast US event.

Busso like Port is run like a club sprint event but you pay premium prices. Support from local communities is huge in US events on run at AZ ever second aid station had a band, dj juggler. one even had local college students doing impromtu wet t shirts :drool:

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

This. Busso is a nice little beach place 3 hours from Perth, which is 4 hours from Sydney add in getting to Sydney costs and time, you could do a west coast US event.

Busso like Port is run like a club sprint event but you pay premium prices. Support from local communities is huge in US events on run at AZ ever second aid station had a band, dj juggler. one even had local college students doing impromtu wet t shirts :drool:

Do Texas! The Uni station by the bridge is worth it. 

When my wife wasn’t volunteering she was there.