wombattri

Busso 2019

19 minutes ago, Nath. said:

Ordinary day for me. I didn’t do the distance enough respect in training and blew up 5-6k into the run.

had an ok swim, rode about 30-40k souls and then found the famous Busso 5hr train so jumped on board as couldn’t get away. All young blokes going hard. Tried to gas them at 120k and got 200m but then they came back and sat on me. Thought fark this I’m not towing them round. 
Sat at the back and soft peddled for a 4:52 by my Garmin.....a little embarrassed to share my power 😬

Set my race up nicely but no run legs and finished with 10:16

Solid effort. Wasn't easy out there, bit breezy and then warm.

9 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

Humbled by an Ironman again. Maybe overseeded too much on the swim as feet were hard too find, also not enough long ocean swims in training. Had to use HR on bike as Vector 2s were way about 30w over reality. Was still in it but somehow missed the 1st lap band turn. 500m short? DNF. Add 2-3 mins to the 10:10 and I was 22-23mins over plan. Walked quite a bit on the run, especially once I knew my pending DNF and maybe the heat got to me. Also my tri bar was loose and popped out at one point. Back to drawing board but first some rest and food!

Can you supply garmin run leg file for proof?

14 minutes ago, Peter said:

Can you supply garmin run leg file for proof?

I missed the little out and back so about 500m short. Moot point as I fell off KQ pace and my new AG was actually faster than my old one (10th spot), go figure. They came amd spoke to me, it was all very civil, it was my fault for not oaying attention to the turn, just wish someone else was on course that I could have followed.

Sorry, 4:56 ride.....talked it up by 4mins 

And I was seriously concerned about running longer than my ride.

Edited by Nath.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nath. said:

Sorry, 4:56 ride.....talked it up by 4mins

There was no 5h train for 1:10 swimmers 😂

All out there still going good. Ratdog regretting his life choices (the food and exercise related ones), Stikman barely hanging on to the oldest female competitor, Kieran is glad he came down and did it after all, even though he's having a tough race, and Katz is ticking along. I'm sticking with her mostly as she's worried about the time, but she'll be fine.

Edited by humdrum
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jim Shortz said:

Zed with an 11:38

Yup tough day at the orafice sadly. Over an hour slower than last year.... well done to everyone that raced!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, humdrum said:

All out there still going good...

Great work officiating (and supporting) there today Humdrum, and thanks Jim Shortz for the updates.  Cheers to the rest of you for all the banter.  Apart from a couple of stupid comments it was an enjoyable thread to follow.

Well done to everyone who's finished, and good luck and have an enjoyable evening to those who are still out there.  It's midnight on the East Coast and time for bed.  :sleeping:.

• Like 1

Going in genuinely untrained there was a plan A and a plan B.

Plan A was to go out and if I felt good on the bike see if I could suffer to a mediocre time. 

Plan B was if it wasn't much fun then make friends and go for the 16:XX in missing from the collection, having 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15-something finishes already.  Safe to say I executed perfectly.

Edited by Stikman
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I found the bike to be really hot and blustery winds. I felt like I was going to vomit so I just rode within myself so I could finish . About the last 90km I was having double vision so I just rode so I could finish the bike ( it was weird seeing two of everything )

I thought I was try “ run “ 10km and then walk the rest - when I managed that - I thought I would run 2 laps and then walk the rest - after 2 laps I was starting to feel ok so I just kept running.

saw about 9 people spew up on the run and a few sitting down having a rest - so I wasn’t as bad as they were feeling .

Well outside my PB for Busso but very happy to have finished 
I found the bike to be really hot and also blustery wind - which changed directions 
I was just riding within myself to be safe from the heat.
About the last 90km I was having double vision and just tried to focus on staying on the road - I was actually thinking I may not finish 

Run came and I thought I would just try to run the first lap and then walk the rest — I made it through the first lap - so I thought I will try to run the 2nd lap and then walk the rest — by the start of the 3rd lap I was feeling much better so just kept running

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Katz said:

16:58:07

Lets just say, that was tough. 

Well done Katz. Any finish is super well deserved. ❤❤❤❤❤

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Katz said:

Great work! 

But jeez was that stressful? 

I've come is a to 17 in my first one, but not that close!  

Awesome effort to get it done

• Like 1

Whilst I’m trying to convince the legs to get up out of my swag I’ve popped a little read from my FB and tacked on a little trannies report in the tri reports section

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Turts said:

Great work! 

But jeez was that stressful? 

I've come is a to 17 in my first one, but not that close!  

Awesome effort to get it done

That was so stressful. And my whole right leg packed it in but I had no choice but to ‘run’. The pain was extraordinary. But miraculously disappeared in the finish chute. Only to reappear one Stikman put the medal on my neck. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

674F52A0-74FC-4091-BFE7-87122D3D0D1B.jpeg

It’s the size of a dinner plate!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Katz said:

Same medal as the winner

• Like 1

whoever designed that shirt should win the award for optimist of the year considering the recent history of the event.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Looks like a jetty swim shirt 

errr

image.png.1a0a267cab9bb6fde94d227f647fe3c8.png

Image result for busselton jetty swim shirt

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, zed said:

Yup tough day at the orafice sadly. Over an hour slower than last year.... well done to everyone that raced!

Anything in particular go wrong, or just a bad day?

10 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Anything in particular go wrong, or just a bad day?

Not sure. Stuck to power, but HR was high and felt hot out there. Started feeling sick and that was pretty much game over. Couldn’t take on gels, or elctrolytes just sipping water. And it was only 31! Felt a lot hotter and the wind was up shifting 180 so we got a headwind heading out on 2nd lap and back in. Shit load of walking on the run. Stopped feeling sick on lap 3 so managed to run more, negatively splitting my 5 hour marathon 😅.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, zed said:

Not sure. Stuck to power, but HR was high and felt hot out there. Started feeling sick and that was pretty much game over. Couldn’t take on gels, or elctrolytes just sipping water. And it was only 31! Felt a lot hotter and the wind was up shifting 180 so we got a headwind heading out on 2nd lap and back in. Shit load of walking on the run. Stopped feeling sick on lap 3 so managed to run more, negatively splitting my 5 hour marathon 😅.

Did you happen to take in any water when swimming? Of the three Ironmans I have done, one was freshwater and I felt fine on the bike; the other two were salt water and I was nauseus from the first minute I got onto the bike

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Looks like a jetty swim shirt 

Probably had lots left over from previous cancelled swims :)

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Katz said:

Immaculate timing though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick777 said:

Did you happen to take in any water when swimming? Of the three Ironmans I have done, one was freshwater and I felt fine on the bike; the other two were salt water and I was nauseus from the first minute I got onto the bike

Nah. Would be good if I could find an excuse, I think it boils down to me being a pussy in the heat! Not sure if dialing down the pace much would have helped? I will be getting a different helmet for hot days though, I had a black Bambino with visor and it felt like my head was in an oven. 

Well done to everyone finishing yesterday. For those of us with a 5+ hour bike it got hot and there seemed to be a head wind no matter which way you were going for the last ~50km on the bike.

Fortunately there were plenty of flies to assist with additional protein nutrition on the run.

I finished with a 13:49. After two Ironman's in 6 weeks it is time to take it easy, get fat and not sit on a exercise bike bored out of my brain.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ratdog said:

I got the result I deserved. 15.34

Overweight and under trained. 100.3kg of pleasure. The last time I swam was over a year, longest ride was 90km.  Biggest run was 10km and I bonked on that day. 

I love this sport and the support we all get out on course during the day. A huge thanks to all the vollies who kept us safe and well supplied with food and water. 

Humdrum did a fab job heckling all day. 

Ill have to think about training for a quick one. I've currently got sub 10,11,12,13,14,15,16 and 17. Sub 9 and sub 8 to go. 

Sorry not laughing at your day.......just the sub 8 and 9. Have fun at the beer mile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ratdog said:

I got the result I deserved. 15.34

Overweight and under trained. 100.3kg of pleasure. The last time I swam was over a year, longest ride was 90km.  Biggest run was 10km and I bonked on that day. 

I love this sport and the support we all get out on course during the day. A huge thanks to all the vollies who kept us safe and well supplied with food and water. 

Humdrum did a fab job heckling all day. 

Ill have to think about training for a quick one. I've currently got sub 10,11,12,13,14,15,16 and 17. Sub 9 and sub 8 to go. 

Who do you think you are...Glenn Gorrick....He has done the same....but he also has the elusive sub 9:00.

Go get it!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

Being from WA you could use other shortcuts 😏😜

• Like 1

On 01/12/2019 at 5:54 PM, Shrek said:

Cam Brown gone MIA 😮

EB6DFCF4-4A92-4D58-BB4D-2BF58C7DD7CE.jpeg

Does anyone know how many KQ spots went to the females 35-39 AG, a friend of mine could have gotten one, she finished 7th

On 02/12/2019 at 12:00 PM, Ironnerd said:

Well done to everyone finishing yesterday. For those of us with a 5+ hour bike it got hot and there seemed to be a head wind no matter which way you were going for the last ~50km on the bike.

Fortunately there were plenty of flies to assist with additional protein nutrition on the run.

I finished with a 13:49. After two Ironman's in 6 weeks it is time to take it easy, get fat and not sit on a exercise bike bored out of my brain.

... please tell me you, @Katz and @stickman partied like rockstars! 😂

9 hours ago, KieranR said:

Does anyone know how many KQ spots went to the females 35-39 AG, a friend of mine could have gotten one, she finished 7th

Pretty sure there were 3 and it didn’t roll down. 

10 hours ago, beginnergirl said:

... please tell me you, @Katz and @stickman partied like rockstars! 😂

Hahaha, no, not rockstars. We did have a drink and a catch up at the after party though which was good. 

Your name was mentioned as the bad influence who got us all terribly drunk last time we were all together though. 

• Haha 1

Have to say this years finisher medal and tee shirt look a bit naff compared to previous versions. Like everywhere these days probably cost cutting.

17 minutes ago, BigRig said:

Have to say this years finisher medal and tee shirt look a bit naff compared to previous versions. Like everywhere these days probably cost cutting.

They should just upload 4 different types and let people vote.  more client engagement.

But agree.  that medal looks cheap and the shirt isn't even good enough to wash your bike with

22 minutes ago, BigRig said:

Shhhh you’re not allowed to say negative things about this race....

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

They should just upload 4 different types and let people vote.  more client engagement.

But agree.  that medal looks cheap and the shirt isn't even good enough to wash your bike with

Ironman Maryland have a completion every year to design the finishers medal. 

Its awesome to get something to remind you of the location. Maryland has a crab on their medal. Malaysia had a big Eagle.

Busso could do a medal with a big jetty or that light house looking thing.