Jump to content
wombattri

Busso 2019

Recommended Posts

The M 45-49 Trannie Category is deep this year! LOL

I should take out the F 45-49 Trannie cat comfortably though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kiwinoz said:

I'm in the 45 AG as well 😎

You're not riding domestique for my clubmate Macca again are you??

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stikman said:

M45-49 might be deep but the M40-45 is wide.

Particularly if the two of you run (I use the term loosely) down the finish cute together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

WOW I just noticed some 15 x finishers on the legends list. That's nuts. 

I resemble that remark! Hopefully it will be 16 x finishes in a week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zed said:

You're not riding domestique for my clubmate Macca again are you??

Different AG this time but our paths may cross. If I observe the same level of drafting then given a chance I will deliver a verbal spraying. Just focussing on executing this time, never executed in the 5 Ironmans to date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

Different AG this time but our paths may cross. If I observe the same level of drafting then given a chance I will deliver a verbal spraying. Just focussing on executing this time, never executed in the 5 Ironmans to date.

yeah sadly 45-49 isn't much slower. What are your goals for Busso?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zed said:

yeah sadly 45-49 isn't much slower. What are your goals for Busso?

We had great conditions last year.  If they're the same I have a plan to go 9:50, but my best so far was 10:02 at Cairns 2017. 

How about you? Hope your injury hasn't altered your plan too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/11/2019 at 4:58 PM, Kiwinoz said:

We had great conditions last year.  If they're the same I have a plan to go 9:50, but my best so far was 10:02 at Cairns 2017. 

How about you? Hope your injury hasn't altered your plan too much.

I’d like to go sub 10, think 10.05 - 10.15 is realistic. See how the calf holds up....Got better tyres this year, so hopefully no flats! And have been on a program, last year I wasn’t and was all over the place, running lots and not swimming or biking much. Actually I was biking a bit, but mostly 30km Zwift races! I’d just discovered Zwift racing!.So not ideal Ironman riding...

if you can go 9.50 you should KQ. 10 spots in our AG.

Edited by zed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/11/2019 at 4:58 PM, Kiwinoz said:

We had great conditions last year.  If they're the same I have a plan to go 9:50, but my best so far was 10:02 at Cairns 2017. 

How about you? Hope your injury hasn't altered your plan too much.

Looks to be warmer with no wind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No wind is good. Warmer, not quite so good. That is a preferred combo for me though. I’ll be doing a slow marathon so heat won’t be a massive factor. Wind always is cause I’m soft. 😩

Edited by Katz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, I’m officially a no-go for Busso.

Got admitted to hospital last night with pneumonia and will be in here for a few days. It just came from nowhere. Pretty devastated as I’m in the best shape of my life and also had to cancel Cairns IM earlier in June from a torn hamstring. I guess it just wasn’t meant to be this year, despite the big volume of training I was able to accomplish. That, qualifying for 70.3 worlds in Nice and a PB in every race I did are enough to make me proud of what I’ve done this year, thanks entirely to the support of my family.

On a drip with strong pain killers so I better get back to resting. Wish you all a great race, and a great time. Enjoy the day.

Carpe Diem.

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wombattri said:

Hey guys, I’m officially a no-go for Busso.

Got admitted to hospital last night with pneumonia and will be in here for a few days. It just came from nowhere. Pretty devastated as I’m in the best shape of my life and also had to cancel Cairns IM earlier in June from a torn hamstring. I guess it just wasn’t meant to be this year, despite the big volume of training I was able to accomplish. That, qualifying for 70.3 worlds in Nice and a PB in every race I did are enough to make me proud of what I’ve done this year, thanks entirely to the support of my family.

On a drip with strong pain killers so I better get back to resting. Wish you all a great race, and a great time. Enjoy the day.

Carpe Diem.

Oh crap. Sorry to hear it. Rest up, get well. The show will go on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wombattri said:

Hey guys, I’m officially a no-go for Busso.

Got admitted to hospital last night with pneumonia and will be in here for a few days. It just came from nowhere. Pretty devastated as I’m in the best shape of my life and also had to cancel Cairns IM earlier in June from a torn hamstring. I guess it just wasn’t meant to be this year, despite the big volume of training I was able to accomplish. That, qualifying for 70.3 worlds in Nice and a PB in every race I did are enough to make me proud of what I’ve done this year, thanks entirely to the support of my family.

On a drip with strong pain killers so I better get back to resting. Wish you all a great race, and a great time. Enjoy the day.

Carpe Diem.

Shit sorry mate. Its tough when you've trained so hard for nothing. Is there no way you will recover in time?

"It can take about six weeks to fully recover from walking pneumonia. However, most people recover from pneumonia in about a week"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zed said:

Shit sorry mate. Its tough when you've trained so hard for nothing. Is there no way you will recover in time?

"It can take about six weeks to fully recover from walking pneumonia. However, most people recover from pneumonia in about a week"

Thanks Doc - no seriously mate I know what you’re saying, and could well be the case, but right now the pain hasn’t eased up and the quacks have absolutely ruled me out, as has my wife and coach.

That aside, I was never going there to make up the numbers and just cruise around. I was there to go as hard as I could and see what I could do off the back of a solid year. I know my own body and more importantly my own head, and thankfully so does my wife to remind me of what’s most important. It’s often a risky game, and there is the possibility of not noticing any pain until the day before or even on race day. That could land me in some serious grief, whether I’m recovered or not.

Ultimately it’s just a race. There’ll be another time. All good.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Peter said:

Wonder if old mate can make it to busso by the weekend.  

 

 

Don't. Just don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Katz said:

Don't. Just don't.

Don’t worry. Sharks only go for the slow swimmers at the back. 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Shortz said:

No risk of a shark upsetting the event now the swim is in that incredibly secure enclosure....

Yeah sharks never come close to shore. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Compared to Cairns where the water is "Crocodile" brown it's such an amazing swim, no jetty but still pretty cool. I so vividly recall seeing a crab (blue swimmer?) last year, sitting up pinchers out, looking at me as if to say "I dare you m#@fker, come any closer and..."

Might have to dial back the run if we're hitting 30c+, assuming one doesn't blow up before then.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KieranR said:

On a serious note, I got hit by a shark this arvo diving, on the hip and now it’s bloody sore and I’m limping.

Have you seen any tigers or bull sharks up there?

Edited by zed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KieranR said:

On a serious note, I got hit by a shark this arvo diving, on the hip and now it’s bloody sore and I’m limping.

Oh crap. Take care of yourself. Treat it gently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KieranR said:

On a serious note, I got hit by a shark this arvo diving, on the hip and now it’s bloody sore and I’m limping.

Woah !  When you say 'hit' what happened? Im glad you didn't say 'bitten' !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, zed said:

Have you seen any tigers or bull sharks up there?

Yep, tiger yesterday and hammerhead

17 minutes ago, Katz said:

Oh crap. Take care of yourself. Treat it gently.

It’s ok, just sore

6 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Woah !  When you say 'hit' what happened? Im glad you didn't say 'bitten' !!!!

Head butted is a better description, I shot a blue bone at about 1730hrs and it must have been shark dinner time because it chased it all the way up, it was also my dinner so was reluctant to let it go.  And it had a go at it and missed but the follow through hit me. 
 

good news is the blue bone tasted awesome with a mango chutney

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, KieranR said:

On a serious note, I got hit by a shark this arvo diving, on the hip and now it’s bloody sore and I’m limping.

Hate to see the shark 😎🤘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kiwinoz said:

Compared to Cairns where the water is "Crocodile" brown it's such an amazing swim, no jetty but still pretty cool. I so vividly recall seeing a crab (blue swimmer?) last year, sitting up pinchers out, looking at me as if to say "I dare you m#@fker, come any closer and..."

Might have to dial back the run if we're hitting 30c+, assuming one doesn't blow up before then.

Yeah I remember the bubbles coming up from the pippies(?) in the sand. Spent the second time around sussing it all out and swimming over Asian athletes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2019 at 4:44 AM, Kiwinoz said:

 

Might have to dial back the run if we're hitting 30c+, assuming one doesn't blow up before then.

How did you normally pace the run? I went out feeling comfortable, but walked a few aid stations later in the race so time blew out. I'd be happy with 3.45, so 5.20 pace, would I be better off going out at 5.20 pace and trying to keep it even or a bit slower? My average pace for 5km splits from last year were:

4.55
5.10
5.13
5.17
5.31
5.39
6.00
6.07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zed said:

How did you normally pace the run? I went out feeling comfortable, but walked a few aid stations later in the race so time blew out. I'd be happy with 3.45, so 5.20 pace, would I be better off going out at 5.20 pace and trying to keep it even or a bit slower? My average pace for 5km splits from last year were:

4.55
5.10
5.13
5.17
5.31
5.39
6.00
6.07

Most people will be on high after handing off the bike at T2.  Just the fact that you are no longer bent over on that bike seat feels great.  Pretty much any speed is going to feel comfortable, especially considering how much slower Ironman pace is compared to 5 or 10km race pace.  Which is why most people start the run off way too quick (and finish the run way too slow).

I would suggest running the first 3 to 5km at 5m20s (or even 5m30s) pace.  It should feel overly slow (rather than comfortable). Once you have a little fatigue in the legs, then you can start to run more by feel.  To put this in perspective, if you were aiming at 5:00 pace and ran the first 5km @ 5:30 pace, that is only 2m30s (or 60 secs if you ran 3km@5m20s) extra onto your overall run split (and probably saved you 10 to 20 mins over the last 10km).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people may disagree with me but I think you should aim for even or even very slightly -ve splits. I have always gone too hard and paid the price. I did run 3k walk 0.1km a few times,  you don't lose much time and it gives you short term goals, a chance to cooldown get nutrition in,  defo something worth testing for next time. Go conservative until 21-30k, how many people leave too much on the table?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

A lot of people may disagree with me but I think you should aim for even or even very slightly -ve splits. I have always gone too hard and paid the price. I did run 3k walk 0.1km a few times,  you don't lose much time and it gives you short term goals, a chance to cooldown get nutrition in,  defo something worth testing for next time. Go conservative until 21-30k, how many people leave too much on the table?

Yeah I really need to avoid walking the aid stations. Looking at my splits last year, I lost a ton of time walking aid stations. But then I also lost a bit of motivation. Goal time was gone, so I probably walked longer than I needed to. 

I guess it also depends on how I ride. Last year was a f**k up.

Edited by zed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah I really need to avoid walking the aid stations. Looking at my splits last year, I lost a ton of time walking aid stations. But then I also lost a bit of motivation. Goal time was gone, so I probably walked longer than I needed to. 

I learned about from IM Tri Talk podcast. It's best that if you plan on doing it that you do so from the start, not as a reaction to having blown up. The podcast guy (John?) has run walked an open marathon in sub 2:40. It's supposed to be power walking too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

I learned about from IM Tri Talk podcast. It's best that if you plan on doing it that you do so from the start, not as a reaction to having blown up. The podcast guy (John?) has run walked an open marathon in sub 2:40. It's supposed to be power walking too. 

Gotcha. I will need to take on a lot of fluids and always struggle to do it on the run. So maybe 20s powerwalk each aid station from the start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, zed said:

Gotcha. I will need to take on a lot of fluids and always struggle to do it on the run. So maybe 20s powerwalk each aid station from the start.

You betta run boy! Otherwise I’ll pass ya and that will be the end of yiur triathlon career due to untold levels of embarrassment of being passed by me

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah I really need to avoid walking the aid stations.

Tying this in with your later statement, walking the aid station for ~100 m or so to get a drink or something down is a very different thing to strolling 400m either side of an aid station. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot_20191127-192154_Strava.thumb.jpg.794ec873939a44b1e733e5365fabb5d8.jpgThis was my run-walk at Cairns 2018, you can see a few slow splits and my HR drop a few beats. My HR maybe got too high though and I had too much nutrition, threw up soon after it was another 2018 disaster. But walking 100m at 7mins a kay every 3k "costs" sweet fa, maybe 2mins all up. There are online calcs where or its easy enough to figure out in a spreadsheet if you're so inclined.

But now is not the time for experimenting, listen to your coach and just do what they tell you.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geez, what great discipline. I love this stuff, so thanks for posting. Looking at heart rate, those 4.40’s did spike it a bit. I know you said nutrition and heart rate hit a bit high but what would you do differently? 5-10sec a km slower? 

Edited by Bosco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kiwinoz said:

 

But now is not the time for experimenting, listen to your coach and just do what they tell you.

This. Like I said. 👍👍✌️

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Geez, what great discipline. I love this stuff, so thanks for posting. Looking at heart rate, those 4.40’s did spike it a bit. I know you said nutrition and heart rate hit a bit high but what would you do differently? 5-10sec a km slower? 

I think my rp plan was 4:45 and the ave would drop to maybe 4:48 with the walking bits. I also figured fatigue would see me lose a few seconds so overall average 4:50. Maybe that was too optimistic but so I just need to stick to the bloody plan until 28k and then if I feel great go for it, not have the 1st km as my fastest.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...