wombattri

Busso 2019

6 hours ago, Peter said:

Certainly zero drafting there.

I don't draft and I'm usually about 169 for a 6 hour ride give or take a few minutes and watts.

So if people are doing 5hrs with 180 watts, they are spending a nice amount of time sitting in a train.

Zero drafting but..... 

I was riding in the vortex created by the President of the Hills Tri Club, otherwise known as "The Big Pink Carrot". He dangled in front of me most of the ride therefore my ride was easy. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BNothling said:

Genuine question here. I know that I'm not the smallest guy at about 188cm and 85cm but I'd like to think that I stay relatively tight on the bike. I have attached photos from the Sunshine Coast 70.3 for reference. Again, I know that my fit is not perfect but it's relatively comfortable for the long distance stuff. I'm also going to use my power numbers from the Tweed Coast Enduro because that is the flattest 70.3 distance ride that I've done. 

On that day I rode 204W average/214W NP at about 85kg race weight, so about 2.4W/kg and 2.5W/kg for those 2 values. I rode a 2:35 that day for an average of 34.6kmh at 155bpm average. Assuming that I could maintain that for the whole 180km, that comes out to be a 5:10 bike split. 

Is it just a case of me being bigger than the average guy and fighting aero drag or is there something that I'm missing that allows for stupid fast bike splits at a power level that I can maintain with a HR somewhere around 120-130bpm?

/me dons Slowtwitch hat

Photos don't look that bad, a little more turtle would be good (drop the bars, get the helmet line lower and more in line with the spine) - But. Wrinkles around the arms (get the sleeves to lie flat), hairy arms (a set of arm sleeves could work, again, just watch for wrinkles), and those shoes look like a few watts.

And then there is the more important factor. When we say Busso is flat, we mean it. My 15k to work has twice the climbing that Busso has for 180km... The first 15k of Sunshine Coast 70.3 has about the same amount of climbing as Busso. This is why I say weight doesn't matter at Busso, and why we mention Lunchbox.

That type of power (and your kit) should get you very close to the 5hr split.

On 04/12/2019 at 1:20 PM, zed said:

No idea why it was so much faster this year than last year. 9.00 winner 45-49..

I think Cairns 2019 was the same story,  45-44 AG KQ faster than 40-44. I swore I'd never do Cairns again because of the swim but it has double the slots IM Aus does...

7 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

What is the elevation gain for busso?

I got 179m on the 530 and 261m on the watch.

• Like 1

For anyone trying to predict their times, have a play with Best Bike Split. You can input one of your race files and calibrate the results plus most IM courses are already available to model results.

1 hour ago, Cape_Horn said:

/me dons Slowtwitch hat

Photos don't look that bad, a little more turtle would be good (drop the bars, get the helmet line lower and more in line with the spine) - But. Wrinkles around the arms (get the sleeves to lie flat), hairy arms (a set of arm sleeves could work, again, just watch for wrinkles), and those shoes look like a few watts.

And then there is the more important factor. When we say Busso is flat, we mean it. My 15k to work has twice the climbing that Busso has for 180km... The first 15k of Sunshine Coast 70.3 has about the same amount of climbing as Busso. This is why I say weight doesn't matter at Busso, and why we mention Lunchbox.

How do the  umber of corners compare to others? 

I mean ones like u bolts where you have deceleration and significant acceleration out of the saddle to get up to speed again.

I haven't done busso for a while and I think they've changed the course anyway 

31 minutes ago, Turts said:

How do the  umber of corners compare to others? 

I mean ones like u bolts where you have deceleration and significant acceleration out of the saddle to get up to speed again.

I haven't done busso for a while and I think they've changed the course anyway 

4 x 2 laps.

18 minutes ago, Jim Shortz said:

Not many U Turns Turts. 

Most are 90 degrees that you can maintain momentum throughout if you can ride a bike. 

5 minutes ago, Katz said:

4 x 2 laps.

Cool, same as last time I did it then. 

Katz - u up again next year?

6 minutes ago, Turts said:

Cool, same as last time I did it then. 

Katz - u up again next year?

Sure am. Hope to do a better job of it than in recent years.

50 minutes ago, Katz said:

And less stressful ! 

30 minutes ago, Turts said:

And less stressful ! 

LOL. Yeah, this year was rather stressful. Last year not so. That one went exactly to plan.

17 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

/me dons Slowtwitch hat

Wouldn't my seat be too high if this was on ST?

To be fair, the photo was taken just before the run course hill so I had probably relaxed a little bit, but it's a good representation.

Unfortunately my shoes are the best they can be. I have a size 16/17 foot so I wear what I can get, rather than what is the most comfortable or aero. 

20 hours ago, BNothling said:

Genuine question here. I know that I'm not the smallest guy at about 188cm and 85cm but I'd like to think that I stay relatively tight on the bike. I have attached photos from the Sunshine Coast 70.3 for reference. Again, I know that my fit is not perfect but it's relatively comfortable for the long distance stuff. I'm also going to use my power numbers from the Tweed Coast Enduro because that is the flattest 70.3 distance ride that I've done. 

On that day I rode 204W average/214W NP at about 85kg race weight, so about 2.4W/kg and 2.5W/kg for those 2 values. I rode a 2:35 that day for an average of 34.6kmh at 155bpm average. Assuming that I could maintain that for the whole 180km, that comes out to be a 5:10 bike split. 

Is it just a case of me being bigger than the average guy and fighting aero drag or is there something that I'm missing that allows for stupid fast bike splits at a power level that I can maintain with a HR somewhere around 120-130bpm?

29_m-100913872-DIGITAL_HIGHRES-3094_025560-32863426.JPG

51_m-100913872-DIGITAL_HIGHRES-3094_056295-32863448.JPG

think your seat is too low

Just now, BarryBevan said:

think your seat is too low

you also have done a good job of being quite low, so reckon you have minimised frontal are whihc is always a challenge for a bigger unit.

what size frame do you have. I at 6 4 find the tallest bikes like cervelo 61 too tall and the 58 not quite long enough.

16 hours ago, Katz said:

I'm considering it

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Katz said:

Cool! Come and join the party! 

Would mean camping with stickmans folks again

Would mean camping with stickmans folks again

They do enjoy company. And Pam actually mentioned you while we were down there last week.

4 minutes ago, Katz said:

They do enjoy company. And Pam actually mentioned you while we were down there last week.

Really? They must be well scarred. 

I retired from IM when I last did it in 2015. Looks like maybe a Five-year-Farnham. !!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

you also have done a good job of being quite low, so reckon you have minimised frontal are whihc is always a challenge for a bigger unit.

what size frame do you have. I at 6 4 find the tallest bikes like cervelo 61 too tall and the 58 not quite long enough.

I ride a medium frame on the Shiv. I tried a large frame and it was just a little toooo stretched out for the cockpit. If I push forward into the position that I'm in for the front-on shot, my shoulders sit over my elbows at almost a 90° angle, which I feel very comfortable in.

Edited by BNothling

3 minutes ago, Turts said:

Really? They must be well scarred. 

I retired from IM when I last did it in 2015. Looks like maybe a Five-year-Farnham. !!

No, she spoke of you fondly.

9 minutes ago, Katz said:

No, she spoke of you fondly.

Better not ruin the memory then! I suppose time can dull the pain. 

But We would be at the caravan park. 

• Like 1

Just now, humdrum said:

I remember - quote "she can talk"

LOL. That's right! I'd forgotten exactly what was said.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, humdrum said:

I remember - quote "she can talk"

6 hours ago, Katz said:

LOL. That's right! I'd forgotten exactly what was said.

Not coming now....... set my excuse up already! 

5 minutes ago, Turts said:

Not coming now....... set my excuse up already! 

No! Come on! She loved that you love to talk!

11 minutes ago, Katz said:

No! Come on! She loved that you love to talk!

Haha, self inflicted as I'm sure they asked me questions! 

I'm now 5 years older with waaaaaay more To talk about. Look out! 

• Haha 1

Haha, self inflicted as I'm sure they asked me questions! 

I'm now 5 years older with waaaaaay more To talk about. Look out! 

And they will love it. People are their favourite!

I might need all my parts myself so don't forget anything next year! Or go to West Coast Cycles, they are very friendly and helpful and lend out small parts 🤣