nealo

UTA 2020

So I'm in for the 50. Anyone else in for any of the distances?

The 50 sold out in record time. :blink:

So there are 7.5-8 months until race day. I have zero excuse to be overweight come race day and if I am sucked in! You will suffer like a dog. (That was me talking to myself in 8 months time)

• Like 6

11 for me. 

Will volunteer on the longer ones. 

2019 I vollied on the short and ran the 100. 

Given I need to take at least 12 months off running, the 11 was all I could excuse myself for. Plus, having done the 50 and 100, the 22 covers the same ground. The 11 has a different route, and does some the reverse of the 100/50 through Leura Forest. I wanna see that sucker in daylight again! 

Good luck to all! 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Am hoping to go back and do the 100 again... and get it right this time! :unsure:

Would love to see this!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nealo said:

So I'm in for the 50. Anyone else in for any of the distances?

The 50 sold out in record time. :blink:

So there are 7.5-8 months until race day. I have zero excuse to be overweight come race day and if I am sucked in! You will suffer like a dog. (That was me talking to myself in 8 months time)

I’m in for the 50 

Hey Nealo PM’d you

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

Am hoping to go back and do the 100 again... and get it right this time! :unsure:

I hope and pray this happens 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

Your name is on the rock ANTHING is possibleIMG_0871.thumb.JPG.de4eaf805724be46977b7820863aa348.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In for the 50 for the first time at UTA and running/walking 50km.  Any tips and hints welcome. Would be keen to know the approx percentage you can actually run compared to the steps, rock hopping and walking up very big hills??? Staying in Wentworth Falls so hoping getting to the start won't be too hard, we will have a car. Most importantly looking forward to seeing this part of Australia, it looks amazing!!

Edited by Lesmack
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Lesmack said:

In for the 50 for the first time at UTA and running/walking 50km.  Any tips and hints welcome...

Most importantly looking forward to seeing this part of Australia, it looks amazing!!

Best tip I can give you is to simply enjoy it...  It's a beautiful part of Australia and a great event.

Prepare for it as well as you can without getting injured, run & walk some climbs and descents and incorporate plenty of steps so that you can be as comfortable as possible on the day.  This is not an event for setting a fast time, this is an event that makes you thankful for being alive and able to have such an amazing experience.  Hopefully I'll see you there!

• Like 3

I’m on the wait list for the 50km - I’m looking forward to watching all the build up for everyone. 

On 25/09/2019 at 1:16 PM, Turts said:

11 for me. 

Will volunteer on the longer ones. 

2019 I vollied on the short and ran the 100. 

Given I need to take at least 12 months off running, the 11 was all I could excuse myself for. Plus, having done the 50 and 100, the 22 covers the same ground. The 11 has a different route, and does some the reverse of the 100/50 through Leura Forest. I wanna see that sucker in daylight again! 

Good luck to all! 

They have an 11km now? They keep going shorter. 5 km next?

I wonder if they've considered adding a 100 miler. It would have a pretty good uptake.

Good on you Turts, for volunteering. :thumbsup:

33 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

They have an 11km now? They keep going shorter. 5 km 

There’s a parkrun at Lawson and it’s free

32 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

They have an 11km now? They keep going shorter. 5 km next?

I wonder if they've considered adding a 100 miler. It would have a pretty good uptake.

Good on you Turts, for volunteering. :thumbsup:

Yep last year was the first year for the 11. When they announced an upcoming announcement, there was speculation about it being a miler. But nope. There was a lot of info provided as to why. Mainly from Kerry Sutter who is associated.. 

The 11 goes backwards from the Fairmont down to Laura Forest, then up furber as the others. 

Wife has shamed me into a comeback.  Only woman to race every 100 back to the TNF days. Here she is at 40 secs and 2.30 in the UTA promo video (also guest appearance by another former trannie)

Edited by lawman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In for the 50. Pretty excited by it. Have watched a few ultra docos as well - it seems a pretty laid back sport. Sinking beers and eating donuts. Sounds like my kind of sport. 

Am doing it with my sister and it will be her first real running event. So looking forward to the shared experience there. I don’t think I realise what I’m getting into, but at least I’ve got some running and endurance history. She definitely doesn’t know what she’s signed up for!

• Like 3

Nice one Kenneth. I'm still getting a feel for the type of trail events that work for me and those that don't.  On consistent thing though, is the vibe and the people. Incredibly brilliant community. I've had experiences of people sharing food, plasters, helping others in any way they can.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

What do you mean by that FP? As in distance, terrain or a mixture of both? Not know much about the various events, they’ve all got bulk elevation, so presumably you’re not trying to fins a flat one!

The other thing I’m excited by is having a run only event to focus on. I’ve only ever had tris in mind and used that fitness for any running races I entered. 

I’m lucky in that I live only a 5-10 minute walk from some trails, not a huge network or steepness, but certainly preferable to running on the footpath. 

Also, if anyone comes across a 50km entry let me know. Happy to pay expenses and a charity donation to sellers choice. I am on wait list but not holding much hope there. Cheers 

On 19/10/2019 at 12:41 AM, Kenneth said:

What do you mean by that FP? As in distance, terrain or a mixture of both? Not know much about the various events, they’ve all got bulk elevation, so presumably you’re not trying to fins a flat one!

The other thing I’m excited by is having a run only event to focus on. I’ve only ever had tris in mind and used that fitness for any running races I entered. 

I’m lucky in that I live only a 5-10 minute walk from some trails, not a huge network or steepness, but certainly preferable to running on the footpath. 

I've found that mentally or skill wise, I'm not very good at the really steep, saw tooth profiles.  Maybe I need to do more of them but I think I'm better pre-disposed to trot along over 80-100kms gradually accumulating 2000 mtrs  vert, than I am shorter really hard climbing.

I find I get a bit despondent when I'm struggling and don't cope well.  Having said that, it's my first year and I am very much still in IM/TT mode where I stress about my time and place in the race.  When it gets very tough and there is nobody around, I forget that everyone else is struggling.

I'm a work in progress :lol:

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

On 19/10/2019 at 11:10 AM, Bosco said:

Also, if anyone comes across a 50km entry let me know. Happy to pay expenses and a charity donation to sellers choice. I am on wait list but not holding much hope there. Cheers 

Are you on the Facebook  it sell page? Almost guaranteed to pick one by there before race day. Just need to train as if if got one coming! 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1100947233408129/

On 19/10/2019 at 11:10 AM, Bosco said:

You'll get one closer to the event and it will likely be very cheap, especially when those who do 6ft Track have realised what they have got themselves into. 😂

On 20/10/2019 at 9:10 PM, FatPom said:

I've found that mentally or skill wise, I'm not very good at the really steep, saw tooth profiles.  Maybe I need to do more of them but I think I'm better pre-disposed to trot along over 80-100kms gradually accumulating 2000 mtrs  vert, than I am shorter really hard climbing.

I find I get a bit despondent when I'm struggling and don't cope well.  Having said that, it's my first year and I am very much still in IM/TT mode where I stress about my time and place in the race.  When it gets very tough and there is nobody around, I forget that everyone else is struggling.

I'm a work in progress :lol:

That’s the other thing that appeals with ultras - walking is expected 😄

• Like 3