monkie

Long Course Weekend 2019

After some date shenanigans it is settled on the 17th & 18th November.

Lots of change from last year, distances for the full weekend are now 4/90/42.2.

The bike course is completely different starting in Callalla beach and looks (I think) similar to the Ultimate Callalla bike course, looks significantly less hilly too!

Is anyone signed up? It's after my return to the UK although I will actually be back in Australia my bikes won't be so I'm out... although I might pop down for a trot on the Sunday f I can work out transport.

Thinking about it. 

Likely to be driving down Friday after work and Sunday after the run. Just depends on the +1 finding a new job, other wise I will need to conserve cash and be choosy with the races we do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

Want to borrow a bike?

You're cutting down on my excuses... maybe! 

I'm also pleased that they have updated the rules about Aerobars and made it very clear what the conditions are. Basically if you're looking for a time there's no advantage to going on a roadie unless you are wanting to practice riding it in a group as you can use your aerobars when it suits you and jump into a pack at other times.

16 minutes ago, monkie said:

I'm also pleased that they have updated the rules about Aerobars and made it very clear what the conditions are. Basically if you're looking for a time there's no advantage to going on a roadie unless you are wanting to practice riding it in a group as you can use your aerobars when it suits you and jump into a pack at other times.

Interestingly, LCW Tenby has now completely closed roads and have banned aerobars.

• Like 1

This starts the day after my big boozy chambers party for instructing solicitors and Judges. So I’m out. Alas. This was going to be my ‘A’ event for the second half of this year. 

Well, 
That was an interesting weekend.

Numbers were a little down overall on last year, but the full LCW numbers were significantly down, last year they had ~75 sign up for the buffet, and this year it was only 22 (That means it was down on the first year, too). A few of the participants had a bit of a chat and we think this is mostly due to the change from Oct -> April -> November, and it being 2 weeks before Busso. Conditions were good, rain overnight on Friday, but the road was mostly dry by the time we got rolling, the swim was more choppy than many would like, but it was still relatively calm (Too many people seem to think if it is anything more than you get in a pool with wave guides, it might be dangerous...), water temp was a bit higher than I was expecting, it was a comfortable swim.

The road is... not what I was expecting, I was expecting more hills, and so the rollers were... very different to the last few years, not particularly easy to get your rhythm, but nothing hard. (For reference, apparently the same road course as the Callala Tri, for those who know it) 

Limited training and more focus for next weekend's bike experience meant that I didn't do enough run training. Who am I kidding, this is me, and anyone who has met me knows that that is the story of my life. (ie. close to zero running for the last two months). The course was changed to add a little bit of sand and trail running on the end of each far lap, which was different (slower). Had a bit of rain for around 20mins as well at about the 1.5 hour mark.

Overall, happy with my time, always nice to finish, but I was a little surprised that I was approached at 4km to go and getting told that if I finished in the next 30mins, I would end up as 3rd Male for the weekend... I don't think I have ever stood on a podium where there were people I beat behind me before...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2